Random Thoughts Thread

17 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The problem w/ driving anywhere right now are bathrooms..public ones at parks etc are closed.   With the nice weather, I do want to go up the coast to some of my favorite beaches, lighthouses, etc. 

Easy answer to that as I have always had these in my auto's year round as they really come in handy especially in winter weather and you need to pee. No smell, easy to use for both men and woman and easy to dispose of when you are near a trash can.

https://www.amazon.com/Travel-John-66911-TravelJohn-Disposable-Urinal/dp/B000NV878S

image.png

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

You're still kidding, right?
Nevermind; I don't want to know.

Travel John is the best item to have in any auto when your out and about driving and during this pandemic especially you have not access to a bathroom.

10 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Low sales, I presume.

They also talk about how those two powertrain packages killed the trunk and interior space as these two cars are more for cruisers than performance.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:05 AM, balthazar said:

33B83A73-CCBA-47EF-A75B-88C82DFB9799.jpeg

There are different levels of Top Tier gasoline. Costco thinks that dumping a cheap detergent into the tanks when they fill them is Top Tier. It's crap gas plan and simple so are many of the other brands listed above. Lower grade gas also burns dirty, but go ahead and take your chance. 

On 5/25/2020 at 12:31 PM, dfelt said:

Costco is a top tier fuel with detergents. I have found Shell especially runs terrible in my auto's and yet Costco runs great. Never had a problem. Costco keeps their filters clean and has all their certs clearly displayed on their top tier status with detergents.

I have a close family friend who has owned gas stations and pumped gas for over 30 years so I'm going with what he tells me and he doesn't sell Shell or Chevron either, but states that they are some of the best blends and very clean burning. He also says run from Costco pumps.

You are going to a crappy Shell station then, not all are the same. My truck and Vette run like a raped ape on Shell V Power. Costco is really no different than grocery store gas. There is a large difference between Shell or Chevron and Costco or Quik Trip gas and like I stated earlier there are different levels or grades of Top Tier and many use the bare minimum level of detergent additives. There's also a reason Costco gas is so cheap, they buy the bottom barrel crap that's left over at the refineries...all truth.

It's crap gas, ask any good mechanic out there. Lower grade gas also burns dirty, but go ahead and take your chance you like to burn dirty anyway :P

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

Easy answer to that as I have always had these in my auto's year round as they really come in handy especially in winter weather and you need to pee. No smell, easy to use for both men and woman and easy to dispose of when you are near a trash can.

https://www.amazon.com/Travel-John-66911-TravelJohn-Disposable-Urinal/dp/B000NV878S

image.png

WTF?!?! I really hope you're kidding too.

On 5/30/2020 at 2:11 AM, ocnblu said:

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

100474943_3007621119285087_5085355954090803200_n.jpg

You're on a roll blu! Hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, USA-1 said:

There's also a reason Costco gas is so cheap, they buy the bottom barrel crap that's left over at the refineries...all truth.

It's crap gas, ask any good mechanic out there.

Let me ask you this - what technology do the 'good mechanics' utilize to determine what brand of gas is in the tanks of the vehicles they work on (were they to remotely care)?

Is it by chance a Hewlett-Packard 5710A dual-column gas chromatigraph with flame analyzation detectors?

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Let me ask you this - what technology do the 'good mechanics' utilize to determine what brand of gas is in the tanks of the vehicles they work on (were they to remotely care)?

Is it by chance a Hewlett-Packard 5710A dual-column gas chromatigraph with flame analyzation detectors?

I think you can figure out how mechanics know, when they ask the customer what gas they run when they come in with plugged fuel injectors and/or frequent fuel filters with lower miles on the vehicle.

10 hours ago, USA-1 said:

There's also a reason Costco gas is so cheap, they buy the bottom barrel crap that's left over at the refineries...all truth.

Saying "all truth" doesn't make it so.  Care to provide anything to back up your claims? Besides "any good mechanic will tell you", because this is a bull statement.

Just for our education.

• Agree 2

On 5/20/2020 at 6:35 AM, ocnblu said:

'Round herr, gasoline jumped 20c overnight.  It's back up to $2.20 something in these parts.

Electric rates stayed flat though. 

Horse ducks from wrench thrown at him...

Full size American muscle getting it in the quarter mile makes me happy. 

https://youtu.be/JPTgb7dfy-E

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The problem w/ driving anywhere right now are bathrooms..public ones at parks etc are closed.   With the nice weather, I do want to go up the coast to some of my favorite beaches, lighthouses, etc. 

I am wanting to make a trip out east with friends. Might be interested in a Road Trip and a C and G get together. 

We will socially distance OCN from anything electric and Balthazar from vehicles built after 1968....just kidding...would love to get everyone together. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, USA-1 said:

I have a close family friend who has owned gas stations and pumped gas for over 30 years so I'm going with what he tells me and he doesn't sell Shell or Chevron either, but states that they are some of the best blends and very clean burning. He also says run from Costco pumps.

You are going to a crappy Shell station then, not all are the same. My truck and Vette run like a raped ape on Shell V Power. Costco is really no different than grocery store gas. There is a large difference between Shell or Chevron and Costco or Quik Trip gas and like I stated earlier there are different levels or grades of Top Tier and many use the bare minimum level of detergent additives. There's also a reason Costco gas is so cheap, they buy the bottom barrel crap that's left over at the refineries...all truth.

It's crap gas, ask any good mechanic out there. Lower grade gas also burns dirty, but go ahead and take your chance you like to burn dirty anyway :P

WTF?!?! I really hope you're kidding too.

Costco gas IS NOT bottom dregs of fuel, they get their gas from the same distribution center as Exxon, Shell and Chevron here in Washington state. The Local GM dealerships even recommend Costco fuel over smaller less used name brand stations due to cleaner filters and better maintained pump systems.

You can also not fake the certifications that prove it. 

https://www.costco.com/gasoline-environment.html 

https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9230/~/costco-gas-station-faqs

So we will have to agree to disagree on the fuel point.

Yes, I actually do carry the Travel Johns in our auto's. With Senior parents, mine are late 70's and early 80's and my wife's parents are in their 90's they come in handy and are clean, no smell and easy to dispose of. 

As I stated, with a pandemic, many public restrooms are closed as are freeway rest stops. This makes it easy to take care of business without a mess.

I love watching kids cover rock and roll songs, the girl singing here is a little bad ass....love watching them play and sing...they are having so much fun. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ykX said:

Saying "all truth" doesn't make it so.  Care to provide anything to back up your claims? Besides "any good mechanic will tell you", because this is a bull statement.

Just for our education.

Ever heard of the saying "you get what you pay for"? It always holds true. No, it's not because they buy in bulk either.

Did you miss the part where a trusted family friend of mine has owned gas stations for over 30 years (not Shell or Chevron either) and has his own trucks running fuel from huge distribution tanks at a fuel refinery? And that he said the Shell and Chevron highest level of Top Tier is the cleanest burning, best blend and to stay clear of Costco as well as other lower level Top Tier gas? You know there are different levels of "Top Tier" gas right?

That's enough claim and education for me knowing he sees first hand and talks to the refinery personnel who know as well. 

Poking around online shows 'Top Tier' is a specification entity developed by OEMs & fuel retailers, that determines if a given gasoline meets the criteria and can be so advertised.

toptiergas.com, the entity in question, has no mention of "different levels" of Top Tier. It either meets the criteria, or it does not. Perhaps your trusted retailer friend is simply erroneous here, despite his conviction. It's happened.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Costco gas IS NOT bottom dregs of fuel, they get their gas from the same distribution center as Exxon, Shell and Chevron here in Washington state. The Local GM dealerships even recommend Costco fuel over smaller less used name brand stations due to cleaner filters and better maintained pump systems.

You can also not fake the certifications that prove it. 

https://www.costco.com/gasoline-environment.html 

https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9230/~/costco-gas-station-faqs

So we will have to agree to disagree on the fuel point.

Yes, I actually do carry the Travel Johns in our auto's. With Senior parents, mine are late 70's and early 80's and my wife's parents are in their 90's they come in handy and are clean, no smell and easy to dispose of. 

As I stated, with a pandemic, many public restrooms are closed as are freeway rest stops. This makes it easy to take care of business without a mess.

Links from Costco's site? Really David? What are they going to say? "Our gasoline sucks." LOL!!! YES, Costco gas is a lower grade or level of "Top Tier". They can add their generic Kirkland brand of detergent all they want, but it doesn't mean they didn't start with a lower grade of fuel like they do. Like I said before one of my trusted family friends in the NW has owned several Unocal 76 gas stations for over 30 years (so not Shell or Chevron) but still Top Tier and has his own trucks running fuel from the huge distribution tanks at the port and sees first hand and talks to the refinery guys when he buys so there are different grades of gas as well. High level Top Tier gas like Chevron and Shell closely regulate their high quality proprietary detergents and don't depend on some kid or grandpa like at the Costco gas station to remember to or to dump the right amount of detergent into the underground tanks before the trucks get there. Yes, that's what they do, NO THANKS. Also, I'm not talking about the pumps and filters, of course you always want to go to a clean and busy station to get the freshest, cleanest gas. I would steer clear of a Mom and Pop gas station as well, no matter what brand. I go to a large clean Shell station near an interstate and if the trucks are filling the tanks at any gas station always keep driving as any underground tanks have sediment sometimes very microscopic that gets stirred up that can still pass through or around the filters and into your tank. Pump whatever gas you want I'm going with a trusted friends advice who sees first hand and an ASI Certified mechanics advice as well.

For your elderly parents I get using the car "port-a-potty", but you can't take an exit off the highway and find a bush down a separate road for yourself? 😂

48 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Ever heard of the saying "you get what you pay for"? It always holds true. No, it's not because they buy in bulk either.

Did you miss the part where a trusted family friend of mine has owned gas stations for over 30 years (not Shell or Chevron either) and has his own trucks running fuel from huge distribution tanks at a fuel refinery? And that he said the Shell and Chevron highest level of Top Tier is the cleanest burning, best blend and to stay clear of Costco as well as other lower level Top Tier gas? You know there are different levels of "Top Tier" gas right?

That's enough claim and education for me knowing he sees first hand and talks to the refinery personnel who know as well. 

I am going to have to say that your Family Friend is wrong and not understanding todays Certification spec on Top Tier Gas and how the Auto Industry recommends top tier detergent gas.

Per the AERA Engine Builders Association here is their document that covers all OEM auto companies in the US and Top Tier Gasoline Recommendations for Gasoline Engines.

http://www.engineprofessional.com/TB/TB042015-1.pdf

Per this page here is the ones that they state are Top Tier:

image.png

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Poking around online shows 'Top Tier' is a specification entity developed by OEMs & fuel retailers, that determines if a given gasoline meets the criteria and can be so advertised.

toptiergas.com, the entity in question, has no mention of "different levels" of Top Tier. It either meets the criteria, or it does not. Perhaps your trusted retailer friend is simply erroneous here, despite his conviction. It's happened.

Keep searching. Again, "you get what you pay for" will always hold true. There's a reason it's cheap AF! You guys know that!

3 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Links from Costco's site? Really David? What are they going to say? "Our gasoline sucks." LOL!!! YES, Costco gas is a lower grade or level of "Top Tier". They can add their generic Kirkland brand of detergent all they want, but it doesn't mean they didn't start with a lower grade of fuel like they do. Like I said before one of my trusted family friends in the NW has owned several Unocal 76 gas stations for over 30 years (so not Shell or Chevron) but still Top Tier and has his own trucks running fuel from the huge distribution tanks at the port and sees first hand and talks to the refinery guys when he buys so there are different grades of gas as well. High level Top Tier gas like Chevron and Shell closely regulate their high quality proprietary detergents and don't depend on some kid or grandpa like at the Costco gas station to remember to or to dump the right amount of detergent into the underground tanks before the trucks get there. Yes, that's what they do, NO THANKS. Also, I'm not talking about the pumps and filters, of course you always want to go to a clean and busy station to get the freshest, cleanest gas. I would steer clear of a Mom and Pop gas station as well, no matter what brand. I go to a large clean Shell station near an interstate and if the trucks are filling the tanks at any gas station always keep driving as any underground tanks have sediment sometimes very microscopic that gets stirred up that can still pass through or around the filters and into your tank. Pump whatever gas you want I'm going with a trusted friends advice who sees first hand and an ASI Certified mechanics advice as well.

For your elderly parents I get using the car "port-a-potty", but you can't take an exit off the highway and find a bush down a separate road for yourself? 😂

WRONG WRONG WRONG,

If you actually researched the gas and the certification for Top Tier you would know that Costco gets their gas from the same distribution pipe as Shell, Exxon, Mobile, etc. Top Tier Gas is all the same. 

The only difference is in the case of Chevron which has Techron added to the Top Tier gas when the distribution trucks are filled. That is a very different additive than traditional top tier detergents.

THERE IS NO TOP TIER, MID TIER, LOW TIER gas. Gas either meets the Top Tier Spec or Not.

You Are WRONG on this in so many ways as is your trusted family friend. 

IF GM Recommends Top Tier Gas from Costco then how would they be wrong and your trusted friend be right?

Must be the same way Costco can sell Chevron Techron 20oz in a two pack for $12.99 is to buy their gas and then extract the product from the gas and then sell the gas cheaply at the Costco pumps. ;) 

I see that O'Reilly's auto parts store has one 20 oz for $13.99

10 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

We will socially distance OCN from anything electric

Thanks for that.  Even before the 'rona, I've diligently social distanced myself from ppl who expel gas.  It's a feather in my cap, surely.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I am wanting to make a trip out east with friends. Might be interested in a Road Trip and a C and G get together. 

We will socially distance OCN from anything electric and Balthazar from vehicles built after 1968....just kidding...would love to get everyone together. 

And Duck tape on my mouth... 😉  Does sound like fun though....

Busy day. Finished staining the deck. Now on to my son 12th Birthday party!!!!!!

• Agree 3

41 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Thanks for that.  Even before the 'rona, I've diligently social distanced myself from ppl who expel gas.  It's a feather in my cap, surely.

Makes sense...I finally figured out who you REALLY are! 

You are Yankee Doodle!

You distance yourself from things expelling gas...so Im betting you ride a pony.  Although ponies also expel another type of, ahem, gas. Hear me out.   I got another clue.

You got a feather in your cap.  All I gots to know if you call THAT, macaroni.   

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

WRONG WRONG WRONG,

If you actually researched the gas and the certification for Top Tier you would know that Costco gets their gas from the same distribution pipe as Shell, Exxon, Mobile, etc. Top Tier Gas is all the same. 

The only difference is in the case of Chevron which has Techron added to the Top Tier gas when the distribution trucks are filled. That is a very different additive than traditional top tier detergents.

THERE IS NO TOP TIER, MID TIER, LOW TIER gas. Gas either meets the Top Tier Spec or Not.

You Are WRONG on this in so many ways as is your trusted family friend. 

IF GM Recommends Top Tier Gas from Costco then how would they be wrong and your trusted friend be right?

AGAIN, you get what you pay for. Don't you remotely wonder at all why it's 25 - 30 cents less per gallon?! It's not bulk purchase pricing either.

One GM dealership is not the know all be all who know NOTHING about gasoline like my family friend who F'n worked with it for over 30 years! GM uses the Costco Auto program that gives $500-1000 rebate towards a new car or truck along with other auto makers so there's that incentive for the dealer to tell customers that as well. I love Costco merchandise and food, but would never pump their gas in anything but a U-haul rental like I have that then ran like total crap afterwards pinging away down the road, was probably half water. Here's some reading for you with no mention of Costco gasoline... 

https://www.motortrend.com/news/all-fuels-are-not-created-equal-technologue/

Just go buy the EV you've been yearning for and you won't have to worry about pumping crap gas 😂 

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

I heard that the only way Costco can afford to sell 40 16-oz bottles of water for $3 is that they simply collect rainwater from the gutters on their buildings & put it into the used water bottles raided from local bins on recycling day.

With a little bit of BS urine from @dfelt Port-a-Potty pack! 🤣

Edited by USA-1

10 hours ago, USA-1 said:

AGAIN, you get what you pay for. Don't you remotely wonder at all why it's 25 - 30 cents less per gallon?! It's not bulk purchase pricing either.

If you keep making these kind of claims, I have one of my own.  For the last 6 years I was putting Costco gas in my G37S and I drove it for over 150k miles in those years (I was putting about 29k miles a year).  The car has now over 190k miles. Engine still runs great. 

So lets agree to disagree on Costco gas.  

• Agree 1

I'm pretty sure Costco sells gas to attempt to drive traffic to their store, not to make much of a profit on it.

I've just grown tired of the lineups so I rarely fill up there unless I know it is a quiet time, around 9am on a weekday.

18 minutes ago, frogger said:

I'm pretty sure Costco sells gas to attempt to drive traffic to their store, not to make much of a profit on it.

I've just grown tired of the lineups so I rarely fill up there unless I know it is a quiet time, around 9am on a weekday.

Costco gas stations at least here in Washington are open 5am to 9pm 7 days a week. I see long lines usually in the afternoon and early evening. Rarely in the mornings or late night.

It is interesting to see the same company trucks come and fill up the costco stations and then go across the street to the Shell and fill up their tanks. As @USA-1 posted link, it is true that not all gas is created equal and you do have farm grade cheap ass gas. Yet with the standards today and the fact that cheaper farm grade gas is also sold at local pumps and clearly marked, not all auto's can handle the cheaper gas especially those blended with ethanol.

Costco has their certifications posted at the pumps and online as their detergent gas comes from the same distribution centers and is certified Top Tier and like @ykX stated, I have auto's with 200,000 miles on them running still just fine on Costco gas too.

Why the long response to you, is that you HIT THE NAIL on the Head and Costco is on record that the gas is an additional benefit they offer to help their members do one stop shopping, just like tires. It is not about maximizing a profit on every sale but about offering value to the members who then also go in and spend on average $150 per trip into a costco to get stuff.

The Business model is about generating profits on large about of turn over at an average of 5% mark up. Yes there are some products brought in that clearly have a much larger mark up, but Costco business model on how they built the business has always been on the average small markup on sales of thousands of units rather than a large markup on a few sales.

Costco gas is the same thing, they buy Bulk Top Tier Gas to offer at a small markup to their members as the general public cannot buy gas there. A benefit to membership, unlike a shell, Exxon or Mobil where the franchise owner has a large % markup so that they can make a small profit after they pay all the fees to the oil company.

Two different business models, some get suckered into paying crazy high gas prices for the same grade of gas versus others who see the value and benefit from having less outlay in cost.

FYI @USA-1 The recommendation from my Cadillac dealership is not the only GM dealership as both the east side Bellevue Chevrolet/Cadillac Dealership where I bought my SS and the Everett Chevrolet Dealership as well as the Everett Buick dealership where my sister bought her Buick all recommend Costco as it is a CERTIFIED TOP TIER GAS SUPPLIER.

End of explaining this, I wish you the best paying out much higher gas prices to your local Shell or which ever name gas station you use. Happy your happy with your auto performance on their over priced gas. Like you said you get what you pay for and in your mind you have a superior product.

Interesting that my custom tuned SS runs so awesome on Costco Premium gas as it always has required and I am at 140,000 miles on my SS and it runs better now than it did the day I bought it new from the dealership. Seems Costco gas is a quality less expensive product for me.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

It is interesting to see the same company trucks come and fill up the costco stations and then go across the street to the Shell and fill up their tanks. As @USA-1 posted link, it is true that not all gas is created equal and you do have farm grade cheap ass gas. Yet with the standards today and the fact that cheaper farm grade gas is also sold at local pumps and clearly marked, not all auto's can handle the cheaper gas especially those blended with ethanol.

Costco is on record that the gas is an additional benefit they offer to help their members do one stop shopping, just like tires. It is not about maximizing a profit on every sale but about offering value to the members

Costco gas is the same thing, they buy Bulk Top Tier Gas to offer at a small markup to their members as the general public cannot buy gas there. A benefit to membership, unlike a shell, Exxon or Mobil where the franchise owner has a large % markup so that they can make a small profit after they pay all the fees to the oil company.

FYI @USA-1 The recommendation from my Cadillac dealership is not the only GM dealership as both the east side Bellevue Chevrolet/Cadillac Dealership where I bought my SS and the Everett Chevrolet Dealership as well as the Everett Buick dealership where my sister bought her Buick all recommend Costco as it is a CERTIFIED TOP TIER GAS SUPPLIER.

WRONG. Shell does NOT pump the same fuel from the same trucks into their tanks that Costco does. I've seen the SHELL branded truck at my Shell station when I drive by that definitely isn't going to Costco before or after, because I've seen the generic marked tanker at or even a Costco marked tanker at Costco so they buy whatever they can find. Shell and Chevron blend their high-end Top Tier fuel with their detergents at the refineries not willy-nilly at the pumps like Costco, so that's BS comment.

Here in Arizona we have fuel points at my local Fry's Marketplace where I shop (owned by Kroger just like Fred Meyer in the NW). The interesting little tidbit for you is we get .10- .20 off per gal at any SHELL station around as well as a dollar off at Fry's stations. Fry's fuel I would never pump even with that much off per gallon as it will cost you more in the end in fuel system and/or other engine repair. So, the grocery store chains like Kroger or Albertson's/Safeway have the gas station in place to attract shoppers as well. 

AGAIN, the GM dealerships want you to have a Costco Membership and I know they mention that they have the Auto Program that gives $1,000 Member Only Incentive on a new purchase like... https://www.costcoauto.com/save/Brand.aspx?utm_content=chevy01&makeid=7&cmpc=1 because I used it when I bought my new 2018 Silverado in 2018.

So the dealerships have their own incentive to push you to Costco pumps, no other reason for it. Why the F would they care where you pump your gas if they didn't have an incentive of their own to get you there, it's not the gas that's for sure.

You go right ahead and burn that gas that by the way isn't purchased as Top Tier like you stated. ALL the petroleum companies or in this case big box store merchandiser make it Top Tier with THEIR OWN blend and some ARE higher quality than others and well as the fuel.

Thanks for your time with this matter, it's been fun. 😜

Yup, wrong again @USA-1

image.png

These are the only refineries in Washington and suppliers via distribution points to ALL GAS Stations. Yes Shell, Chevron, Exxon, etc. do have their own labeled trucks, but they cannot supply all the time to their own branded store via their own branded trucks and as such since all these refineries resell unbranded fuel, aka their surplus fuel under the B2B process, this is where Costco get's their Top Tier Fuels. 

As long as it meets the certification, Costco sells Top Tier fuel at a bargain to their members and that means one day you might fuel with Shell, next Chevron, next Exxon. Yes they buy from who ever has capacity to sell and they do it as an unbranded fuel purchase, reselling it as Kirkland Signature with the same certification that Shell, Chevron, Exxon, etc. also got as it is the same fuel.

Yup been fun pointing out the flaws in your thinking.

18 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yup been fun pointing out the flaws in your thinking.

"The Messiah" says "flaws in thinking" while he can't even see many of his own.

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 1

Im trying to match Balthy's old time pics. But mine will always be within a Montreal realm. 

There was a short time when Montreal had little shytty Renaults as cop cars.  I believe this to be a Renault 8.  From the '60s I assume.  Dont really know why on earth Montreal decided to have a fleet of these. I think it was a Youth Squad for rookies to learn how to do a "beat" 

Montreal cops standing outside of their Renault cruiser (1970 ...

And a row of these shytty Renaults.

Coolopolis: Montreal Police Renault fleet of Youth Squad cars

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im trying to match Balthy's old time pics. But mine will always be within a Montreal realm. 

There was a short time when Montreal had little shytty Renaults as cop cars.  I believe this to be a Renault 8.  From the '60s I assume.  Dont really know why on earth Montreal decided to have a fleet of these. I think it was a Youth Squad for rookies to learn how to do a "beat"  

Used them because they were built locally? Saint Bruno, Quebec

http://www.oldcarscanada.com/2011/08/1966-renault-8.html

• Thanks 1

^^^  I did not know that.  About the Renault 8 being built in Saint Bruno.  I mean, I knew Renault had a plant here, its just that I thought it was the Renault 5 "Le Car" being built here.   There were a few of these "Le Cars" around back in the day that I assumed when I learned in my teens that Renault had a plant here  that 'twas it that was manufactured here.  I never saw and got the chance to see the Renault 8 on Montreal roads.  I never knew this car even existed as even in Greece, I dont remember ever seeing this car. 

And yeah, it makes sense that  Montreal bought these because it was built locally.  Logical.  

Edited by oldshurst442

I enjoy them immensely. 

When I could, when I have the time and I actually find a pic that tells kinda the same narrative but with a Montreal POV, Ill reciprocate your snapshot "of days gone by".  For yours and the forum's enjoyment.  

And for me, by reciprocating you, is a gesture of saying thanks and that I appreciate your snaps of days gone by. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I suspect Robert Hall looks upon these like some folk believe the Moon landing was faked; 'How could it be real when I didn't experience it'?  ;)

Durham NC 1940 :

DurhamNC40 3.png

Yea, these have to be staged, the old days were never that clean. ;)