Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Few people understand perspective, composition, proportion and lighting, Manufacturer photos always look better than dealership photos.

A lot of times it’s the detail guys taking the photos, and they are being ridden to get their other work done.  Often times they make minimum wage. Or not much more. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, regfootball said:

A lot of times it’s the detail guys taking the photos, and they are being ridden to get their other work done.  Often times they make minimum wage. Or not much more. 

We have a company send a guy in and do it, he's not an employee.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

I don't see what their wage has to do with it. Give them $5 or $10 more an hour and they're not going to suddenly take better pictures.

It has been found that you can put together a standard set of photo's with basic instructions and even a person with no experience ever taking a picture can take a better picture than one that has taken just basic family photo's.

If mgmt. really wanted to improve, a good mgr. would and could put together a basic 411 info packet for the person responsible on how and from what angles to take the pictures.

Having some basic picture taking standards would drastically improve the quality and consistency of the images and over all online experience for those looking to buy a used or new auto.

40 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.14.59 AM.png

Perfect reason as to why Big Oil should not fear EV's.

• Agree 1

On 10/31/2020 at 6:51 PM, balthazar said:

Phoenix, 1940 :

PhoenixAZ40 2.png

Cool photo.  AZ was relatively late in being admitted to the Union ... 1912, IIRC.  L.A. also has streets where palm trees are laid out on the "lawn strips," as they are called out West, so they would resemble a colonnade. I obviously like the word colonnade.

- - - - -

This would definitely be contrary to democracy.  It could be useful if they tested people for their critical thinking skills and then "weighed" votes accordingly.  Just a random thought that has gone through my head when I see things that make me SMH.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Still infatuated with this rig :

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 9.53.08 PM.png

Could make a cool hot rod... a one seater pickup thingy...found pics of one..neat, funky little truck

1035726_81_97679_iypVULsH0.jpg

dekalb_lumberjack3_fullsize.jpg

1035724_81_97679_D4z383QDX.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

This would definitely be contrary to democracy.  It could be useful if they tested people for their critical thinking skills and then "weighed" votes accordingly.  Just a random thought that has gone through my head when I see things that make me SMH.

LOL - the problem with that is; both 'sides' are convinced they're 'right' and 'think critically'.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

We have a company send a guy in and do it, he's not an employee.

This would make infinite sense. 

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

LOL - the problem with that is; both 'sides' are convinced they're 'right' and 'think critically'.

Actually our lack of critical thinking will be our undoing as a nation. 

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Still infatuated with this rig :

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 9.53.08 PM.png

It is wicked cool. 

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

The greatest automotive marque of all time.
This is just the standard 'J'; then there was the supercharged 'SJ' ~

32 Dues.png

Eldorado Seville :

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 7.33.33 AM.png

You will kill me but I like the Charger next to it much better. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Actually our lack of critical thinking will be our undoing as a nation. 

Exactly.  Not helped much by celebrities who are more accessible through the media and pitch their points of view, which stupid people buy, yet these celebrities are in no way qualified to opine professionally on much of anything other than their occupations.

And, as usual, I get a downvote on my comment ... which would be fine if it was accompanied by a cogent argument.  It never is.  Instead, it's a lob and run.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Exactly.  Not helped much by celebrities who are more accessible through the media and pitch their points of view, which stupid people buy, yet these celebrities are in no way qualified to opine professionally on much of anything other than their occupations.

And, as usual, I get a downvote on my comment ... which would be fine if it was accompanied by a cogent argument.  It never is.  Instead, it's a lob and run.

We have lost the ability to think clearly. Why do you think we have the worst coronavirus crisis in the world? Vietnam is doing better than we are...as are a ton of other countries.

Boeing is starting to look like it is in real trouble vs Airbus. Airbus has a backlog of 7500 plus planes boing is down to a little over 4000. Airbus has a much better cash flow and product portfolio.

Yes our current leadership in Washington has the IQ of a fence post...but the problem goes far beyond Washington.

7 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You like to stereotype people.  Do you live in a box?  No one else does either.

In theory it is easier to build homes and apartments when everything is at a right angle...so in reality we all live in boxes. The intelligent among us realize our presuppositions and biases and try to adjust our thinking. But metaphorically and architecturally living in a box is inevitable.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.14.59 AM.png

We are going to play hell when we start running short of the stuff

1 minute ago, ocnblu said:

More BS

On the contrary we are all blinded by our own biases and cultural upbringing.

Are you saying you are without bias or presuppositions?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

In other thoughts...Covid will be with us for a good long while. India and Pakistan have a huge surge in cases. And in places like Nepal...which get most of thier foreign income from tourism...they are having a fire economic crunch. Which is making financing thier overburdened health system even more difficult.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Spelling
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You like to stereotype people.  Do you live in a box?  No one else does either.

That's a comment about me.  I'm talking about comments about current conditions and situations.

It seems people who get upset about stereotyping are usually defensive or ridiculously progressive. Stereotypes exist because people observe them.  Companies and organizations need to stereotype so they can focus on where to put their marketing dollars.  Automakers know exactly who their demographic is, which is stereotyping.  And it's all validated by social psychology and marketing research studies.

Before I embark on travel, I read travel books.  These bohemian a.f. travel writers stereotype away, telling you how the people will be, the dynamics to expect, scams and typical prey, and all that.  And, having traveled on 4 continents, it was mostly all true.  Get out of Amish country more.

45 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

We have lost the ability to think clearly. Why do you think we have the worst coronavirus crisis in the world? Vietnam is doing better than we are...as are a ton of other countries.

Boeing is starting to look like it is in real trouble vs Airbus. Airbus has a backlog of 7500 plus planes boing is down to a little over 4000. Airbus has a much better cash flow and product portfolio.

Yes our current leadership in Washington has the IQ of a fence post...but the problem goes far beyond Washington.

In theory it is easier to build homes and apartments when everything is at a right angle...so in reality we all live in boxes. The intelligent among us realize our presuppositions and biases and try to adjust our thinking. But metaphorically and architecturally living in a box is inevitable.

The Boeing thing has been disturbing.  So has their stock price (BA).  The stock price kept rocketing upward despite previous problems with 787 batteries and then the lengthy 737 Max grounding.  I think reality finally caught up with the whole situation.

The Europeans seem to be more loyal to Airbus, for obvious reasons.  Airbus has shelved the entire 380 program.  For as grandiose as it was/is, the program was not very long lived.  But their volume for short-range and mid-range aircraft is healthy, it seems.  I only like their Airbus 340, which has lost favor because of its fuel consumption.  OTOH, I like every other Boeing airplane more than the Airbus equivalent.

Iberia_Airbus_A340_600.jpg

Once flew on one of these Iberia Airbus 340-600s (^) from Chicago-O'Hare to Madrid and it's an incredible machine.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 3

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 11.25.47 AM.png

I'm going to liquidate some vintage stuff I've had for years & don't need. I picked up this '52 Pontiac light-up hood ornament from a junkyard I used to frequent heavily- I'm sure I've owned this since the late '80s. Hope to get $275 for it as is.

IMG_2645.jpg

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

That's a comment about me.  I'm talking about comments about current conditions and situations.

It seems people who get upset about stereotyping are usually defensive or ridiculously progressive. Stereotypes exist because people observe them.  Companies and organizations need to stereotype so they can focus on where to put their marketing dollars.  Automakers know exactly who their demographic is, which is stereotyping.  And it's all validated by social psychology and marketing research studies.

Before I embark on travel, I read travel books.  These bohemian a.f. travel writers stereotype away, telling you how the people will be, the dynamics to expect, scams and typical prey, and all that.  And, having traveled on 4 continents, it was mostly all true.  Get out of Amish country more.

The Boeing thing has been disturbing.  So has their stock price (BA).  The stock price kept rocketing upward despite previous problems with 787 batteries and then the lengthy 737 Max grounding.  I think reality finally caught up with the whole situation.

The Europeans seem to be more loyal to Airbus, for obvious reasons.  Airbus has shelved the entire 380 program.  For as grandiose as it was/is, the program was not very long lived.  But their volume for short-range and mid-range aircraft is healthy, it seems.  I only like their Airbus 340, which has lost favor because of its fuel consumption.  OTOH, I like every other Boeing airplane more than the Airbus equivalent.

Iberia_Airbus_A340_600.jpg

Once flew on one of these Iberia Airbus 340-600s (^) from Chicago-O'Hare to Madrid and it's an incredible machine.

I too am sad to see the A340 slide off into retirement. Sleek machine.

In terms of trade, please look at Asian aircraft orders. The current trade war has done us zero favors. And the Chinese have a long memory...they will not forget this.

Reading a bunch of travel books myself. Right now Louis on the Loose... about a woman who does Alaska to Argentina on a motorcycle by herself.

And you are right about stereo type...Ted Simon...author of the last book I read... Jupiter's travels...said "the Arabs hide thier women and show thier emotions. The Australians show thier women and hide thier emotions."

I have been to Asia Europe and North America...I want to do South America next.

My son did a semester in Namibia and travelled to eight African countries while he was there.

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I have nothing further, your honor.

I do think trying out the Z71's 4WD system on the Trans America Trail might be a lot of fun for you. 

That Chevy was born for dirt....I say...explore Amish country...and the rest of the country. 

See the USA in YOUR Chevrolet!

Full-size item image

https://www.transamtrail.com/

Although i admittedly have a soft spot for the ZR2 over the Z71. Pardon me for that. 

I think getting a 4WD truck like this in white makes a lot of sense, as you probably could find white parts from commercial trucks in salvage yards to replace stuff damaged on the trail. Although the Hood and front fenders seem to be bespoke to the ZR2....

Edited by A Horse With No Name
clarity
  • Agree 1

Hurricane ehaded for Nicaragua, a lot of sympathy for people in the path of this thing. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/03/world/americas/hurricane-eta-live-updates.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

This is beyond abhorent....Farmers equipment torched in Nebraska, probable arson. Trump flags on the equipment.  So terribly sad.

It is unclear how a fire in Henderson started, but the news of it startled a community that believes it shares a common value system.

Mr. Rempel won’t speculate on a motive for what he believes was arson.

His combine, a tractor and two semitrailer trucks were burned.

Neighbors coming to help. America is a good country, despite our differences. 

Word spread quickly about the incident and the community of farmers rushed to help Mr. Rempel with his corn harvest.

Country is out of control....metal fence in Washington DC, bracing for riots. Very sad. 

A metal fence was installed outside the White House on Monday in anticipation of possible unrest related to the election.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sadly, there are those in society that are much like a Horse with Blinders on and fail to see the benefits of a Multi-Cultural Society. Multi-Tech Society, etc. Sadly many countries will remember how terrible the US was to them far longer than how good we were and the bump of ignorance that hit for what I hope is only a 4yr road bump. We need to lead by example and by working with the world, not by fighting everyone as a bully on a school yard does.

Old thinking, being complacent and wanting for the most part to have everything Stagnant is how society dies. Look at companies that have continued to grow and you find them global multi-cultural companies that are embracing working with everyone.

Road Trips is what makes this forum so much fun as we see how various types of auto's make it out there and how they either work with society and mother nature or hurt it.

I for one am very excited for both Hummer and Rivian and after watching the Rivian TV show on their trip from South America up through Central America and back to North America am looking forward to seeing how I fit in one and if the wife likes it. Could be that either the Hummer or Rivian is my first EV.

image.png

image.png

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Windows being boarded up in Manhatten...

A worker boards up the windows of a Ralph Lauren store in SoHo in Manhattan.

1 minute ago, David said:

Sadly, there are those in society that are much like a Horse with Blinders on and fail to see the benefits of a Multi-Cultural Society. Multi-Tech Society, etc. Sadly many countries will remember how terrible the US was to them far longer than how good we were and the bump of ignorance that hit for what I hope is only a 4yr road bump. We need to lead by example and by working with the world, not by fighting everyone as a bully on a school yard does.

Old thinking, being complacent and wanting for the most part to have everything Stagnant is how society dies. Look at companies that have continued to grow and you find them global multi-cultural companies that are embracing working with everyone.

Road Trips is what makes this forum so much fun as we see how various types of auto's make it out there and how they either work with society and mother nature or hurt it.

I for one am very excited for both Hummer and Rivian and after watching the Rivian TV show on their trip from South America up through Central America and back to North America am looking forward to seeing how I fit in one and if the wife likes it. Could be that either the Hummer or Rivian is my first EV.

image.png

image.png

Of the two I prefer the Rivian. Would love to see a Colroado/Ranger/Tacoma sized electric pickup from GM or Ford. 

Rockefelelr center...

In Rockefeller Center in the heart of midtown, workers prepare for potential damage.

Good news for Today...4 year old girl rescued 4 days after earthquake. 

1000.jpeg

https://apnews.com/article/international-news-turkey-earthquakes-greece-ce896011d8a34324973856421073ef65

• Agree 1

Very cool, in Russia, air brushing one's auto for custom look is exploding. Have to say, some pretty cool art work.

https://jalopnik.com/russias-airbrushed-car-scene-is-out-of-control-1843107995

• Like 1

More election violence...

201102173143-02-vandals-spraypaint-lamb-

Just now, David said:

Very cool, in Russia, air brushing one's auto for custom look is exploding. Have to say, some pretty cool art work.

https://jalopnik.com/russias-airbrushed-car-scene-is-out-of-control-1843107995

I really like WW 2 Nose art. 

Texas Coronavirus out of control....this is frightening. 

Surge in France, Denmark, italy, other places. 

• Agree 1

This is fantstic recovery work...enjoy the video...off to work...see you all later. I love this channel on Youtube

One of my favorite Youtubers is restoring a vintage Airstream. Enjoy the series!

I'm a political atheist.

The problem as I see it is a lack of respect & willingness to listen / compromise, coupled with a terminal media functionality cancer. Media as a journalistic 'Hippocratic oath', is basically dead. There is SO MUCH ROOM for a new objective information entity... but the populous at large is so hyper-partisan now, I doubt it would survive economically.

• Agree 4

20 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'm a political atheist.

The problem as I see it is a lack of respect & willingness to listen / compromise, coupled with a terminal media functionality cancer. Media as a journalistic 'Hippocratic oath', is basically dead. There is SO MUCH ROOM for a new objective information entity... but the populous at large is so hyper-partisan now, I doubt it would survive economically.

Agreed. I’ve always remembered having political arguments that ended in everyone going out for pizza afterwards. I miss folks with an open mind! I think my biggest issue is that we are lead to divide, when we are more like each other than we think. I also think we are being taught to hate and divide, which tends to happen when money and greed are involved....

That said- I wish everyone the best, and hope you get the chance to vote for your canidate!

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'm a political atheist.

I am with you. Escapism and thinking about trvel and woodworking is how I survive. 

14 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Agreed. I’ve always remembered having political arguments that ended in everyone going out for pizza afterwards. I miss folks with an open mind! I think my biggest issue is that we are lead to divide, when we are more like each other than we think. I also think we are being taught to hate and divide, which tends to happen when money and greed are involved....

That said- I wish everyone the best, and hope you get the chance to vote for your canidate!

Social media is a huge negative force in this country. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

You are no longer permitted to your own opinion or to ‘sit back’. Now you MUST be involved in every social /political issue, because your ‘life/soul/very existence’ depends on it (yet AGAIN). Sick of the lies and the spin.

Ohhhhhhhh...my Wood lathe and Table saw spin very nicely, thank you very much. Not tired of that spin at all. 

Time to talk smack...just saw this and found it funny!

Image may contain: 3 people, meme, text that says 'The 3 types of Cadillac owners'

More smack...

Image may contain: text that says 'WHY YOU STALLING, SANTA? YOU GONNA START THE GAME OR NOT? TAP TAP N. METZGER'

Candy drop with social distancing. Betty did this, she was a bridesmaid when Kim and I got married. 

Image may contain: outdoor

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

You are no longer permitted to your own opinion or to ‘sit back’. Now you MUST be involved in every social /political issue, because your ‘life/soul/very existence’ depends on it (yet AGAIN). Sick of the lies and the spin.

Do not forget the spin that Religion also plays in attempts for power and control.

I wonder how many here ( The WHOLE US ) have really read our constitution and understand the rights we have as people.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Do you mean the 'religion' that some people have about Government?

There is a problem in the US with religious fanatics (such as the Dominionists) that want to do away with the separation of church and state and impose their views on the rest of society.   These people would prefer the US be a Christian theocracy rather than a representative democracy.    They have worked for decades to get their people elected at all levels of government and now have the Supreme Court infested with their filth.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

There’s a lot of fanatics on a wide range of topics, and of course the internet affords them to make louder noises... but I’ve not observed it being a problem at the legislative level. First amendment section RE religion is pretty thorough.

I would disagree with you as there are clear religious groups that have the presidents ear and are manipulating it to achieve their own agendas in regards to Woman Bodies/reproduction rights as well as groups such as @Robert Hall points out that is attempting to get government to change to a certain way.

I agree with you that at this time our constitution has protected all well be you one to follow religion or not. But we are in interesting times with fanatical groups and individuals attempting to change the country.

This is no different than how we debate and discuss EV's versus ICE auto's here. Change is inevitable, some will embrace it while others will fight to keep any change from happening.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, David said:

I would disagree with you as there are clear religious groups that have the presidents ear and are manipulating it to achieve their own agendas in regards to Woman Bodies/reproduction rights as well as groups such as @Robert Hall points out that is attempting to get government to change to a certain way.

Change is inevitable, some will embrace it while others will fight to keep any change from happening.

If change is inevitable, then obviously some Gov’t existing policies are going to change. Fighting inevitability is futile, no?

There was all manner of fearmongering thrown around in 2016... on major issues that never even came to the ‘table’. Same as always.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

This is one of the most cool stories I have seen and read about how Michelin tests their tires. It has since been retired to their Museum. The special built car also had dual 23 gallon fuel tanks. This car would travel at 111 miles per hour and powered by duel Corvette C3 5.7L V8 engines. Car is 23ft long. Good read of all the details at the link below.

image.png

image.png

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37188/michelin-built-this-freakish-10-wheeled-citroen-to-test-truck-tires-at-110-mph

• Agree 2