Random Thoughts Thread

Are we not in enough pain?

The election, the SCOTUS confirmation, domestic terrorism, coronavirus, stimulus gridlock?

WTF is this that Scott Peterson's verdict and process might be revisited?

Given that they put a man on the moon some 5 decades ago, nothing ought to surprise us. 

Still, unbelievable ... in a bad way.

Things have changed.  Rental car rates are way up.  Weekly pricing is mostly gone.  The per day rates are high, and they seem to hold on the weekends.  Some better prices can be found via Costco's car rental program, any discount codes you may have, and/or renting from satellite urban and suburban locations rather than airports.  Still, it appears that rental rates are going to remain higher and that the bargains we've seen will be less frequent.

The first Aluminum finned drums at Buick- '57 Roadmaster. The circles are holes in the steel liner; the aluminum was poured around the liners and locked in place via the holes.
The next year, Buick did a process of cooling the liners and heating the AL castings, and pressing the former into the latter.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.57.35 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If ya'll haven't watched James and Thomas on "Throttle House" this is a must watch, as we've all joked about the ridiculously HA-YUGE BMW grilles on here. @7:55. These guys are hilarious just funny not even trying like many do on these vlogs. James has an English accent that adds to the hilarity.

Edited by USA-1

I am contemplating what the next Dodge Charger might be like.

I hope the progression is a good one.

If it's a change like, say, from the '76/'77 Cutlass Supreme to the '83/'84 Cutlass Supreme, then I'd be okay with it.  I'm talking analogies here.  The latter of the Cuttys mentioned above kept all the good qualities of the former ones, but in a slightly smaller and lighter package.  You could tell that they were lighter when driving them, but they still remained great cars worthy of their name and heritage.

I spend too much time thinking about what this future car might be like.  *sigh*

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I still want one of these, badly...

I remember when a childhood neighbor up the road bought a new '91 Syclone. He used to say "she'll hit 60 mph from one telephone pole to the next" Not as impressive with today's tech. and performance, but for a pickup truck mid 4 sec. to 60 mph in the early 90's, that was flyin'. 

Edited by USA-1
  • Agree 3

Two of the three Corvairs made it, one is still there rotting. Probably the most inhospitable place a car has ever been driven through. A few Jeeps and Land Rovers ahve made it through, but probably fewer than 25 four wheeled vehicles in the last hundred years from what I can tell. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, USA-1 said:

I remember when a childhood neighbor up the road bought a new '91 Syclone. He used to say "she'll hit 60 mph from one telephone pole to the next" Not as impressive with today's tech. and performance, but for a pickup truck mid 4 sec. to 60 mph in the early 90's, that was flyin'. 

Amazing how much aftermarket has done to tune these trucks to over 600+ hp and some truly single digit quarter miles.

• Agree 2

On 10/12/2020 at 4:55 PM, David said:

2021 Hyundai Santa Fe gets more power, more efficient engines and a all new Hybrid. There is also an all new Premium top line trim package.

• 2.5L 4 banger replaces the 2.4L base engine, Power increases by 6hp to 191 and increases 4 lb-ft to 182 lb-ft
  • 8 sp tranny stays, but FWD increases 1mpg to 26 mpg combines, AWD stays at 24 mpg combined
  • 2.0L turbo is replaced by 2.5L turbo with new dual clutch 8 sp tranny. Motor gains 42hp and 51 lb-ft of torque for total of 277 hp / 311 lb-ft of torque. A gain of 2 mpg for both FWD or AWD with Combined 25 mpg FWD or 24 mpg combined AWD.
  • Hybrid MPG is not released yet but system has 224 HP and 195 lb-ft of torque via 6sp tranny with standard AWD.
  • QUOTE:
    • Santa Fe is picking up a new range-topping trim called Calligraphy. It can be spotted from the outside by its unique grille and 20-inch wheels. Inside it gets Nappa leather upholstery, faux suede headliner, additional ambient lighting and an 8.5-inch heads-up display. It comes exclusively with the turbocharged 2.5-liter engine and all-wheel drive.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/12/2021-hyundai-santa-fe-engine-specs/

Snag_52955565.png

image.png

I like the Santa Fe but this overdone console is a bit much....sounds like the 25 turbo is only available on that top trim?  If it was otherwise available, it might be a good sleeper car.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

122141286_5179524892073414_3859245123992292881_n.jpg

An extra scoop of ice cream or gold star if this is an original factory color.  Wow.  Look at the tiny window for the rear quarter.  The colonnades of the next decade (even if this Eldo is B-pillar-less) were obviously derivations and the way GM put the PLC in the everyday American's driveway en masse. Those were the days.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, David said:

Amazing how much aftermarket has done to tune these trucks to over 600+ hp and some truly single digit quarter miles.

Yeah, that Vortec 4.3L V6 is a bulletproof engine with tons of aftermarket parts, makes sense being it's based off the venerable Chevrolet 350 V8, with two cylinders lopped off. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Yeah, that Vortec 4.3L V6 is a bulletproof engine with tons of aftermarket parts, makes sense being it's based off the venerable Chevrolet 350 V8, with two cylinders lopped off. 

Yeah, I sold an Astro/Safari van with over 200K, next owner put another 200K on it. 

Bulletproof. Seriously. 

I put 200K also on an Astro Cargo van, and 175 on another passenger van. Never left stranded, ever. Pulled trailers, did all kinds of crazy stuff, overlaoded the work van with ladders on a ladder rack....they kept chugging along. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name

Love this Ford Ad.....

While we are on the subject of Ford. 

The 68 Torino pace car convertible at the beginning of the last video is just to die for. Seriously. Love it. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

An extra scoop of ice cream or gold star if this is an original factory color.  Wow.  Look at the tiny window for the rear quarter.  The colonnades of the next decade (even if this Eldo is B-pillar-less) were obviously derivations and the way GM put the PLC in the everyday American's driveway en masse. Those were the days.

One wonders how a company that got that much right alter would get so much wrong, dead wrong. But in their era, they were stunning. Seriously. 

Which brings us to this movie..

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, David said:

Loved this edition of the Jay Leno Garage.

That truck is just killer...makes the hair stand up on my arm. I had a regular S-10 of this era and loved it. I would own one, for sure. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I would sure like to know why the Toyota was going full speed across the divider?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, David said:

I would sure like to know why the Toyota was going full speed across the divider?

Driver lost control.

Worthwhile video. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Some good old fashioned American trucks having fun here...

So many comments could be made and so many observations about the people.

Yes some good ol truck fun with plenty of backsides to enjoy! :P 

• Agree 1

GM has announced another $2 Billion in investment in their US assembly line plants and that a total of three plants will now be dedicated to building EV's.

Investment is as follows:

GM said the investment in the six U.S. facilities will total more than $2 billion. Here is how it breaks out:

• GM will invest $2 billion in Spring Hill Manufacturing to build fully electric vehicles including the Cadillac Lyriq. Spring Hill’s paint and body shops will undergo expansions and the general assembly will be upgraded with new machines, conveyors, controls and tooling. The renovation begins immediately.
  • Production of the next-generation GMC Acadia will move to Lansing Delta Township Assembly, an investment of more than $100 million.
  • GM will invest $32 million at Flint Assembly for future production of heavy-duty Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups.
  • GM will invest $17 million in the Romulus, Michigan, propulsion plant to enhance automation and increase capacity of GM’s 10-speed truck transmission, used in full-size pickups and full-size SUVs.
  • GM will invest $3.5 million at Orion Assembly and invest $750,000 at GM’s site in Brownstown Township. Both investments are related to additional production of the Cruise self-driving test vehicle at Orion Assembly.

The three plants that are dedicated EV plants are as follows:

• Former Detroit Hamtramck assembly center now known as Factory ZERO - Production of Hummer by GMC to start there for EV Trucks / SUV full size.
  • Orion Assembly plant will continue to build the Chevrolet Bolt EV, Next generation version as well as a new Chevrolet EV and the Extended length Bolt EV.
  • Spring Hill Tennessee assembly plant, home of the XT5 & 6 plus Acadia. Will move forward with building the Lyriq upon renovations and continue the XT5 & 6 till EV replacements are ready. Then the plant will be full time Cadillac EV's only.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2020/10/20/gm-invest-billions-michigan-plants-converts-another-plant-ev/5983749002/

• Agree 1