Random Thoughts Thread

9 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Great strudel, great beer, great cars.... 

Strudel - absolutely

Beer - pass

Cars - just a select few VW products, given how I am into budgeting

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

DeSoto...

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Fascinating ... so that's what a De Soto looks like.  Fairly fresh Calif. plates, based on the numbering.  Now I'll have to look up to see where "Lakeside Car Wash" might be, with its Jetson-era font and those Flintstone rocks.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Fascinating ... so that's what a De Soto looks like.  Fairly fresh Calif. plates, based on the numbering.  Now I'll have to look up to see where "Lakeside Car Wash" might be, with its Jetson-era font and those Flintstone rocks.

Burbank.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

That's right.  To Amish folks, those of apparent European descent who are not part of their religious group would be "the English."  That's funny to me, since I don't have any ancestry north of the English Channel, let alone the Alps.

See now, I had an inkling you might be inbred.  The symptoms are there, but I could not put my finger on it.  Thanks for the confirmation.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 5

10 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Great strudel, great beer, great cars.... 

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Strudel - absolutely

Beer - pass

Cars - just a select few VW products, given how I am into budgeting

Some of my favorite German deliciousness.

German Cuisine | LIVE JAPAN travel guide

Pretzels, beer,  girls...

Strudels....yes

Beer...Ive had Lowenbrau and it was gooood!  I do prefer Amstel though.

Cars...some.  

My absolute favorite German car?  Hmmmm....   Tough one to answer. 

But I think Ill go with my 2nd most hated automaker ever being BMW...but their Z8 is just awesome and I think the Z8 would be my absolutely favorite German car.  

The BMW Z8: From Bond to Alpina

And of course...German girls are a hoot.  I wouldnt know anymore though.  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

I checked online; in a state of 9 milllion people, EA current has only 10 stations in New Jersey.

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I checked online--in a state of 11.69 million people, EA currently has only 10 stations in Ohio.

Two in the Cleveland metro area--in the east and west burbs along I-90.  One a couple hours south on I-77.  Next one south on I-77 is Wytheville, Va...263 miles between.  (I-77 is the typical route I've used in the past coming from/going to Florida, for example). 

How many charge points at those 10 stations?

• Confused 1

That is a pretty car, shame about it though.

That's IT, I'm changing my time-honoured (pretentious spelling for trinacriabob) screen name to ocnred.  Gotta stay away from any chance of being misconstrued.

As far as fleeing the country, you have me confoozed with Whoopi Goldberg and Drew Dowdell, both of which were SO verklempt (Yiddish for trinacriabob) in 2016 that they vowed to leave the USA.  We see how that worked out, BTW.  :smilewide:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

13 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

That's IT, I'm changing my time-honoured (pretentious spelling for trinacriabob) screen name to ocnred.  Gotta stay away from any chance of being misconstrued.

As far as fleeing the country, you have me confoozed with Whoopi Goldberg and Drew Dowdell, both of which were SO verklempt (Yiddish for trinacriabob) in 2016 that they vowed to leave the USA.  We see how that worked out, BTW.  :smilewide:

well....not calling Drew the looney left as how Whoopi is, but...seeing that you got my drift, (and kudos to you!) and seeing that you acknowledge the looney left for wanting to leave after the 2016...shall we say Olympics, for not making you throw a conniption, (another Yiddish term just for you Blu), shall we say...DARE we say that YOU wanting to leave the States because of the 2020...um Olympics and their aftermath, is because you might be the LOONEY RIGHT?

I dont know about your sexuality, (not my business really) but this name calling and snow flakiness goes both ways...   

54 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Or how tens of thousands of folks, in a handful of deep red states, signed petitions to secede from the union in 2008 and 2012 when a black democrat became president and was then re-elected. We definitely saw how that worked out.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

I have coworkers who emigrated to Canada due to a number of reasons. Very interesting how people deal with disappointment.

On other fronts, very excited as we get near to the configurator and pricing for Rivian November 16th for pre-order customers and November 26th for everyone else.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHd9hpQJVQ2

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHd9hpQJVQ2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, David said:

I have coworkers who emigrated to Canada due to a number of reasons. Very interesting how people deal with disappointment.

When I lived up there, the infatuation with being able to drive to Vancouver was strong at first but declined after the honeymoon period.  I don't think I'd like living there and I "met" Vancouver when one could actually make it pencil to live there.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

*sigh*

Can’t seem to avoid politics anywhere, even on my car sites. It’s one of the reasons FB time is getting cut way down.....I’m open minded friendly person, and the soul crushing mad folks on all sides are just annoying now......

That said, I’ve been working on things around the house. Working on how to put bigger vents on the sides of the house attic to get more airflow as I am getting a little more moisture up there then I want. And decluttering all over the house- figure now is a good time for some changes.....

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Still ain't got no ass, I'm afraid.  Hey Cadillac, I know the bustleback Seville, and YOU AIN'T NO BUSTLEBACK SEVILLE!

Ok...here ya go blu. :D Too bad the General isn't offering her in the 4.2TT 550hp Blackwing V8 as well as BEV.  Beautiful car.

Cadillac Celestiq: What We Know So Far | GM Authority

All about 2023 Cadillac Celestiq EV - The New Flagship - YouTube

image.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, David said:

On other fronts, very excited as we get near to the configurator and pricing for Rivian November 16th for pre-order customers and November 26th for everyone else.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHd9hpQJVQ2

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHd9hpQJVQ2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thanks for the links.

4 hours ago, daves87rs said:

*sigh*

Can’t seem to avoid politics anywhere, even on my car sites. It’s one of the reasons FB time is getting cut way down.....I’m open minded friendly person, and the soul crushing mad folks on all sides are just annoying now......

That said, I’ve been working on things around the house. Working on how to put bigger vents on the sides of the house attic to get more airflow as I am getting a little more moisture up there then I want. And decluttering all over the house- figure now is a good time for some changes.....

Doing the same things. You are a wise man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2020 at 10:35 AM, balthazar said:

Best thing with leaves is to mow / mulch them, and let them decompose into the grass. 'Lawn vitamins'.

I do the same thing. Had that landscaping fabric in my beds, and my plants were not doing as well. Putting fresh soil around the plants and cutting back the anti week fabric is revitalizing them. 

11 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Here's trinacriabob exiting Amish Country with a little bit of help:

Actually I have enormous respect for the Amish. Enormous. Given how much I (DIS)like the bland modern world, I could almost love living like that.

SPEAKING OF TRUCKS, fORD IS PLANNING TO RAMP UP ELECTRIC F150 PRODUCTION. 

https://fordauthority.com/2020/11/ford-increases-electric-f-150-production-capacity-by-50-percent/

2020 Ford F-150 EV

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Sorry for my part there. Just couldn't resist myself after certain folks just softballed it in like that lol. Been keeping myself busy too since I moved last month. My workshop/office/pseudo man cave has been getting a lot of attention over the last few weeks. Have to get some more plywood to finish the front wall. A shame the cost of wood right now makes it damn near a commodity. 

IMG_6861.jpeg

Looks like a damned fine man cave. 

You might consider using hardwood from a lumber mill and tounge and groove random species. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Looks like a damned fine man cave. 

You might consider using hardwood from a lumber mill and tounge and groove random species. 

Thanks Mr. Horse lol. Have looked at some local sources here (screw the big box stores on lumber right now) but its been slim pickings and the general cost is still high IMO. I do occasionally check the Habitat for Humanity Store near me and I check with my cousin constantly (he is a lifelong woodworker and carpenter). In the meantime, I had to add more outlets because the space only had one. I added two and will eventually add at least one more once I get everything in its final place. I am way more confident in my electrical skills than I am my woodworking skills anyway 🤪. This is pretty much my "Control Room" lol.

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Here is a church I was the head electrician on.
They did something similar. It's really rather cost effrective. 

12799122_930822680358232_470231115848085

Very nice. Wish I had that kind of skill when it comes to cutting and assembly. I'm pretty handy with the staining and such but the actual cutting has never been my strong suit though lol. Need to get the proper tools for sure.

Edited by surreal1272

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Isn't that the Escala?  It's labeled as the Celesteek or whatev.  And you are spot-on about the Blackwing.

Yep, Escala was the concept name. Pretty bada$$!

9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

*sigh*

Being the most important Presidential Election in our lifetime, it makes sense that it's everywhere. Congress seat flips in many states, including CA, are displaying the sweeping change America is demanding, even though many choose to ignore it, outlets of the MSM have even noticed.

Hold on my friend, it's not over.

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Thanks Mr. Horse lol. Have looked at some local sources here (screw the big box stores on lumber right now) but its been slim pickings and the general cost is still high IMO. I do occasionally check the Habitat for Humanity Store near me and I check with my cousin constantly (he is a lifelong woodworker and carpenter). In the meantime, I had to add more outlets because the space only had one. I added two and will eventually add at least one more once I get everything in its final place. I am way more confident in my electrical skills than I am my woodworking skills anyway 🤪. This is pretty much my "Control Room" lol.

Very nice. Wish I had that kind of skill when it comes to cutting and assembly. I'm pretty handy with the staining and such but the actual cutting has never been my strong suit though lol. Need to get the proper tools for sure.

If you were closer than Arizona, would gladly lend a hand...

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You're both right and wrong. Its both extremes, ya clowns... 

100%, all those people crying about leaving, stayed put. Nobody had the nuts to actually DO what they said they'd do. 

Actually lots of people retire to places with lwoer costs of living. 

I love this!

Yenko stinger never grows old....I have lots of fond memories of seeing these vintage race. 

And one more to CCAP's comment about people with courage...this woman has it in droves. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Retiring is vastly different than what all of these 20-40 year-olds were talking about doing. 

Keeping a US passport would allow me to live in several different places in retirement. 

I think saying the USA is good or bad, best or worst is insanely stupid. It's a country of 330 million people that's been around a couple huddred plus years. Lots of both good and bad in that time frame. 

Culturally, I am a midwesterner, and that is part of who I am so by default I am American. 

And as Americans we are more alike than we are different, I think. 

One more good but wet bike ride....then back to work. 

Different rider, still a great journey. I wish I had time and energy to buy a bike, but I am kind of maxed out in my life in so many different ways. '

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I love this!

That's the sound of Glasspack mufflers. Had them on my '86 sq. body Chev. 350 V8 4x4. Good stuff!

Edited by USA-1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

That's the sound of Glasspack mufflers. Had them on my '86 sq. body Chev. 350 V8 4x4. Good stuff!

I have had those also....but love the whole rig and the drive!

Sadly, Islamic state has jsut moved from middle east to African oeperations, apparently. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/11/world/middleeast/Mozambique-ISIS-beheading.html

37 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You're both right and wrong. Its both extremes, ya clowns... 

100%, all those people crying about leaving, stayed put. Nobody had the nuts to actually DO what they said they'd do. 

True which is why I've never been been registered as a Democrat or a Republican. Just two different peas of the same pod.

26 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If you were closer than Arizona, would gladly lend a hand...

Actually lots of people retire to places with lwoer costs of living. 

I love this!

Yenko stinger never grows old....I have lots of fond memories of seeing these vintage race. 

And one more to CCAP's comment about people with courage...this woman has it in droves. 

Don't live in Arizona anymore. Moved back to NC the end of last year. Hiding in the cave now since mother nature is being a little soggy today. Flash flood warning for the next five hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I have had those also....but love the whole rig and the drive!

Sadly, Islamic state has jsut moved from middle east to African oeperations, apparently. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/11/world/middleeast/Mozambique-ISIS-beheading.html

For sure, I like those old Jeep Wagoneer's/Chief's as well. Buddy's parents had one growing up, pretty nice rigs.

They've had operations in Africa for many years, one of the few large countries with a weak military that they can control.

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Sorry for my part there. Just couldn't resist myself after certain folks just softballed it in like that lol. Been keeping myself busy too since I moved last month. My workshop/office/pseudo man cave has been getting a lot of attention over the last few weeks. Have to get some more plywood to finish the front wall. A shame the cost of wood right now makes it damn near a commodity. 

IMG_6861.jpeg

Gonna insulate first? How about recycled wood to give it some age and character?

Loving the man cave, stay safe from mother nature. seems to be a wet winter.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, David said:

Gonna insulate first? How about recycled wood to give it some age and character?

Loving the man cave, stay safe from mother nature. seems to be a wet winter.

I do have something custom in mind for one wall (where my desk is) but reclaimed wood is a possibility for some of that as well. Thats where my woodworking guru cousin comes in lol. He comes into that stuff all the time and repurposes them. And insulation will go in as well since I'll be running separate heat and A/C when necessary.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1