Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

True which is why I've never been been registered as a Democrat or a Republican. Just two different peas of the same pod.

Don't live in Arizona anymore. Moved back to NC the end of last year. Hiding in the cave now since mother nature is being a little soggy today. Flash flood warning for the next five hours. 

Ohhhhh....my mother lives in Hendersonville, my sister in Black Mountain. I may have to drop in and buy you a few local brews and a pizza. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089M1KSF2?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

B089M1KSF2

One of the next books I am going to read. 

On another note, it's amazing how stupid and uninformed car salespeople can be. Was looking at a Wrangler, just killing time before an appointment and kicking tires in the showroom. Asked the salesperson if it had the same 8 speed as the 300, as I really liked the transmission in the Chrysler 300. 

Salesperson was like..."no, the Wrangler uses a Torqueflight 727 3 speed, been around since the 60's. Nothing else will hold up to going off road like that."

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I do have something custom in mind for one wall (where my desk is) but reclaimed wood is a possibility for some of that as well. Thats where my woodworking guru cousin comes in lol. He comes into that stuff all the time and repurposes them. And insulation will go in as well since I'll be running separate heat and A/C when necessary.

Rock wool for insulation is the bomb if you can get it. Cuts down on sound hugely. 

The other book I am getting ready to start, along with Travels with Charley...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0989766535?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

51UMvZk-90L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Van had 300,000 miles at start of trip IIRC

• Agree 1

Some cool old stuff in this yard...

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Ford's F-150 has a HORRIBLE equipment 'linkage' system going on. Spec the 3.0L TD and try to pick certain wheels OR paint colors, and Ford kicks the diesel out & replaces it with a 5.0 V8. What the hell would the paint color have to do with the engine choice??

NICE XLT, Guard Green (you're welcome, 'blu!), 20" rims... NOPE, NO DIESEL FOR YOU!

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 1.26.27 PM.png

I think they build vehicles in batches and simplify construction costs by making certain items unavailable for certain trims. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Ohhhhh....my mother lives in Hendersonville, my sister in Black Mountain. I may have to drop in and buy you a few local brews and a pizza. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089M1KSF2?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

B089M1KSF2

One of the next books I am going to read. 

On another note, it's amazing how stupid and uninformed car salespeople can be. Was looking at a Wrangler, just killing time before an appointment and kicking tires in the showroom. Asked the salesperson if it had the same 8 speed as the 300, as I really liked the transmission in the Chrysler 300. 

Salesperson was like..."no, the Wrangler uses a Torqueflight 727 3 speed, been around since the 60's. Nothing else will hold up to going off road like that."

lol! Okay. I live in Graham, which is a small town off I-85/40 between Greensboro and Raleigh. Some really good local breweries here though, ones that are surviving the COVID madness, that is.

And Hendersonville is way out there (3-4 hours west of me). Had to tow a car three hours to a place right outside of town there. Very quiet and peaceful out there though.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Ford's F-150 has a HORRIBLE equipment 'linkage' system going on. Spec the 3.0L TD and try to pick certain wheels OR paint colors, and Ford kicks the diesel out & replaces it with a 5.0 V8. What the hell would the paint color have to do with the engine choice??

NICE XLT, Guard Green (you're welcome, 'blu!), 20" rims... NOPE, NO DIESEL FOR YOU!

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 1.26.27 PM.png

(Elon Musk hands joint to Ford Execs and says "F it! Just randomly change the engine on them when they pick a certain color!")

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Sorry for my part there. Just couldn't resist myself after certain folks just softballed it in like that lol. Been keeping myself busy too since I moved last month. My workshop/office/pseudo man cave has been getting a lot of attention over the last few weeks. Have to get some more plywood to finish the front wall. A shame the cost of wood right now makes it damn near a commodity. 

IMG_6861.jpeg

I like it!

• Agree 2

Went to my local Ace Hardware this beautiful afternoon and actually had an in-person inside 'shopping experience' for the first time since February, even paid with 'cash' paper money instead of my usual online shopping w/ plastic.  It was all strange and new, everyone masked up and 6 feet apart.  But I had to do it, because sometimes the only way to find a very specific, strange sized lightbulb is to take the old one and compare with ones hanging on a wall (I was having no luck on Amazon).  Now I have two new bulbs for my house number sign on the light post (the old bulbs had burnt out one-by-one since I've lived here).  

A tiny small, DIY victory amidst a really boring time working from home...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

J30 / Options - Full Line-X Color Match, Quarter Windows

J30 / Options - Color Match Top, Sliding Quarter Windows

46 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

lol! Okay. I live in Graham, which is a small town off I-85/40 between Greensboro and Raleigh. Some really good local breweries here though, ones that are surviving the COVID madness, that is.

And Hendersonville is way out there (3-4 hours west of me). Had to tow a car three hours to a place right outside of town there. Very quiet and peaceful out there though.

(Elon Musk hands joint to Ford Execs and says "F it! Just randomly change the engine on them when they pick a certain color!")

I have to drop off some parts for a woodworking band saw to a machine shop not that far from you. WIll let you know. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

Did ya get LED so you never have to replace them again?

No, didn't even think to look for LEDs.   The good thing I did figure out how to take apart the sign to change the bulbs.   

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Nissan while bleeding money did have a reduced loss in their quarterly report due to the aggressive restructuring that saw it shed 14,000 jobs rather than the indicated 12,500 by the end of the fiscal year. March 31st 2021 by getting the layoffs done early and reducing annual operating losses by 28%.

Nissan is now estimating an annual loss of $3.2 Billion rather than the $4.5 Billion it stated in March 2020. A year ago for this same period Nissan had a $285 Million dollar profit and reported a $45.6 million loss. Nissan expects to return to profitability some time in 2021 calendar year.

Nissan is planning to leave Europe and focus on China and the US markets where sales have been improving.

Nissan is also looking at embracing and rolling out a global  online sales model as they convert to an EV company. Nissan is keen in what they believe the over all industry is wanting which is to get out of having dealerships and moving to an online sales model with haggle free pricing. This would mean more of a Boutique type shopping for test drives and help ordering up the auto you want and then coming back to pick up the auto at a time in the future if you do not place an order online.

Nissan is at the start of a major refresh of their whole product line as they adjust prices to drive sales and reduce incentive spending.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/11/nissan-posts-predictable-quarterly-loss-says-annual-losses-wont-be-too-bad/

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

How are you supposed to know if a given automotive consideration is comfortable for you, or has good vision, or you like the sound system, or you can FIT in it, if OEMs move to primarily online sales??

Visit the Boutique store to try out the demo models I would guess. I agree as for me I have to sit in it and test it out before I will order an EV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

even paid with 'cash' paper money instead of my usual online shopping w/ plastic.  It was all strange and new

Has it been that long for you since you last used paper cash money that you have to put cash in quotations and call it strange and new?    LOL    

I find it strange (in a good and funny way) that you even found it new in paying with actual physical legal tender.  LOL

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, David said:

Visit the Boutique store to try out the demo models I would guess. I agree as for me I have to sit in it and test it out before I will order an EV.

how 'bout how it drives?

Cant do that with a non-functioning "demo" model.

Contrary to some folks' belief, EVs are not gonna be same 'ole mundane pods. That criteria is reserved for autonomous pods, which wont be happening any time soon. Suspension tuning, handling characteristics, steering input and output, acceleration tuning, regen braking tuning, etc will still have differences between them.  Especially in acceleration tuning...computer software WILL mimick and differentiate between family haulers and sports cars...

So...how would you know what kind of an EV drive you prefer and want to own if you dont take a test drive from the real thing.  Dealerships are needed.  The BUYING process NEEDS to change. But NOT the touch and feel experience you get at a dealership...

It is weird as the same money in my wallet from January of this year is still there as I only use plastic now for the once a week shopping trip to Costco.

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

how 'bout how it drives?

Cant do that with a non-functioning "demo" model.

Contrary to some folks' belief, EVs are not gonna be same 'ole mundane pods. That criteria is reserved for autonomous pods, which wont be happening any time soon. Suspension tuning, handling characteristics, steering input and output, acceleration tuning, regen braking tuning, etc will still have differences between them.  Especially in acceleration tuning...computer software WILL mimick and differentiate between family haulers and sports cars...

So...how would you know what kind of an EV drive you prefer and want to own if you dont take a test drive from the real thing.  Dealerships are needed.  The BUYING process NEEDS to change. But NOT the touch and feel experience you get at a dealership...

Tesla and Lucid Boutique stores have functional demo models. I expect the Rivian stores to also have demo models you can take for a test drive.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, David said:

It is weird as the same money in my wallet from January of this year is still there as I only use plastic now for the once a week shopping trip to Costco.

Tesla and Lucid Boutique stores have functional demo models. I expect the Rivian stores to also have demo models you can take for a test drive.

Not all Tesla stores have functional demo models tho...     In Montreal we do in case one was wondering. 

There are no Rivian stores in Montreal.  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Not all Tesla stores have functional demo models tho...     In Montreal we do in case one was wondering. 

There are no Rivian stores in Montreal.  

The Tesla stores I have been in have all had demo drive units and never heard or seen a place that did not. Seems weird that they would not have them for when a person asks to take one for a test drive. Thanks for letting us know.

Rivian is not opening up Boutique stores yet focusing on manufacturing, then they are supposed to open in limited locations stores. Gonna be interesting.

8 minutes ago, David said:

The Tesla stores I have been in have all had demo drive units and never heard or seen a place that did not. Seems weird that they would not have them for when a person asks to take one for a test drive. Thanks for letting us know.

Granted, that was in the past when Tesla had shopping mall locations.  I do not know if they continue to sell cars at shopping malls still.  I assume too sometimes, but I own my assumptions BEFORE I am seen as an ass...  :smilewide:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Granted, that was in the past when Tesla had shopping mall locations.  I do not know if they continue to sell cars at shopping malls still.  I assume too sometimes, but I own my assumptions BEFORE I am seen as an ass...  :smilewide:

I can totally agree with that. :) I know in the early days Tesla had some mall locations but I thought they had given them all up for independent locations that had charging and demo models. At least here in the PNW that is all they have.

43 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Has it been that long for you since you last used paper cash money that you have to put cash in quotations and call it strange and new?    LOL    

I find it strange (in a good and funny way) that you even found it new in paying with actual physical legal tender.  LOL

Well, going in a business and buying something in person is something I haven't done since the before time (February).and I rarely ever use cash...can't remember the last time I used cash...I buy everything online, buy gasoline w/ a card... so it was a novel experience... this is a very, very strange year, after all...

• Agree 3

It's interesting to look over at the right of the C&G homepage and see whose birthday it might be on any given day.  Sometimes, it's of members who haven't posted in a while and were characters.  Today, it's that of a member named "grandprixman."  If he is in fact a Grand Prix man, he must be a cool enough guy.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, going in a business and buying something in person is something I haven't done since the before time (February).and I rarely ever use cash...can't remember the last time I used cash...I buy everything online, buy gasoline w/ a card... so it was a novel experience... this is a very, very strange year, after all...

And getting stranger.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

As for gasoline purchases, I no longer pay outside with a card.  I always go into the store and pay with a card and get a receipt until the statement arrives.  Or with cash if I didn't spend down what I took out "fast enough."

I am also fairly careful about where I pay for parking with a card.  If it's a major airport where people are using it all the time, at a beach in Florida, like in the fancy part of St. Pete, or for parking in a nice downtown area, I might do it.  I once paid for parking with a card in downtown Detroit. Lesson learned ... a month or two later.  That's what I assume to have been the cause and effect.  This is why I do carry some cash ... and especially quarters.

One of the best things is a reloadable travel card.  You can get one at AAA.  Less than $5.  It's great for restaurants and gift shops when traveling and overseas.  It's a stand-alone product with a preset amount you've loaded onto it and it's better to put all those small transactions in places you don't know on one of these cards.  They're valid for 2 to 3 years, not having one nearby to look at.

Edited by trinacriabob

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

(*memo to self:  don't rely on other ppl's sarcasm sensors.  More often than not, they are non-existent.)

The other persons sarcasm sensor works just fine. Yours however, seems to be on the fritz as evidenced by your above response. 

Again, so “cerebral” lol. 

That’s sarcasm btw. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Being agreeable is highly over rated. I am a good guy, but not a nice guy. 

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Reminds of the E. Ohio backroads I loved exploring in my Mustang long ago....

Ones I am exploring in my Ranger, although doing them by maita with the top down was spectacular. 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

125221452_10224326720098346_5952683554682854474_n.jpg

Self portrait, Bill?

Interesting retirement home. 

https://www.van-bevern.com/en/properties/cozy-thatched-roof-house-in-central-but-quiet-location-peh932/

Cozy thatched-roof house in central but quiet location - PEH932

• Like 1

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Soo-BAR-oo. I like.

That's how it is currently pronounced in southern Europe.   First heard it some 5 to 10 years ago across the pond, when pointing and laughing, "Look, there's a Subaru dealership."

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This looked familiar, in a general way, because of the trees (pines) in the background and the word Barra (not Mary).  Barra de Maldonado is close to beautiful Punta del Este, one of the better known resorts in South America and a mecca for people from Buenos Aires with money.

Punta del Este (UY) is one of the coolest places I've been to.  Uruguay and Argentina may be in South America, but it feels more like being in Europe

Punta del Este, Uruguay:

Punta-del-Este-1024x575.jpg

This is the actual point (punta) - "downtown" Punta del Este jutting out to its point - to the left (east) is the Atlantic and to the right (west) is the Rio de la Plata ... all those cool homes would be about 5 and 10 miles up, mostly going up along the road fronting the Atlantic side.  I will never forget this place.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

This looked familiar, in a general way, because of the trees (pines) in the background and the word Barra (not Mary).  Barra de Maldonado is close to beautiful Punta del Este, one of the better known resorts in South America and a mecca for people from Buenos Aires with money.

Punta del Este (UY) is one of the coolest places I've been to.  Uruguay and Argentina may be in South America, but it feels more like being in Europe

Punta del Este, Uruguay:

Punta-del-Este-1024x575.jpg

This is the actual point (punta) - "downtown" Punta del Este jutting out to its point - to the left (east) is the Atlantic and to the right (west) is the Rio de la Plata ... all those cool homes would be about 5 and 10 miles up, mostly going up along the road fronting the Atlantic side.  I will never forget this place.  

I really want to visit this part of south America, and would love to retire there. It has a huge romantic appeal to me. 

• Agree 1

@A Horse With No Name  Uruguay is rated highly on those retirement lists among the South American countries.  It has a lot of good things going for it - relative stability, progressive thinking, good health care, and the highest literacy rate on that continent.  I know that they rank Costa Rica (have never been) highly, but it's Central America, and not South America, and, when you start reading more and more, it has its hazards.  

- - - - -

My real random thought upon logging in this morning:

I wonder what Lorena and John Bobbitt are up to these days ...

• Agree 1

Ohh. ohh...

290389_image.jpg

124607457_681154406156905_59627376512555

124374276_681154409490238_83952458380852

124267420_681154299490249_38601494817632

124636037_681154402823572_44712714638915

124933721_681154432823569_50124819495862

124188857_681154486156897_58333235992689

In Gatlinburg Tennesee....

"My real random thought upon logging in this morning:

I wonder what Lorena and John Bobbitt are up to these days ..."

I am sure we will get the long and the short of it. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Good looking F series

124048443_852105442196846_91308155371215

always liked these. 

124344357_852105485530175_56148334968922

For Balthazar

123918983_852105468863510_48085782846249

One more for Bill...OCN...

124111057_852105532196837_32568414910375

Random truck pic for today. 

123905862_848841572523233_14724468077742