Random Thoughts Thread

Rare sunny cold day between winter storms. Taking a break from work to get my Leland Cyprus trees trimmed with my EGO hedger and extention pole. Love not having to use a ladder.

20210114_132627.jpg

20210114_133207.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Was a 2nd sunny 45 degree day in a row, which in unusual for Cleveland in January.   Supposed to rain turning to snow tomorrow, colder and snowier over the next week.

Had 3 interviews this week, interesting doing them over Zoom and Teams.   So far so good..

Work has been up and down this week, mostly quiet but a few meetings because the India team have a bunch of issues w/ an application that has been soft launched...not yet ready for go-live, still a number of issues I'm consulting on.  When stuff isn't working, who do they turn to?  

In my free time, taking a bunch of courses through Linkedin Learning...refreshing myself on some old stuff and getting an overview of some new stuff..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

13 years of sled today!  It's officially a teenager.  I checked the odometer upon getting into it today - 103,310 miles ... of very reliable motoring across those miles.

KIMG6322-a.thumb.jpg.9a87203fc18eab907d5245192c2d59a6.jpg

KIMG6324-a-inked.thumb.jpg.042a03e0ff714ba99edba1651aca1623.jpg

When my last car hit the 13 year mark, it had approximately 215,000 miles on the odometer.  It's amazing how life changes.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

13 years of sled today!  It's officially a teenager.  I checked the odometer upon getting into it today - 103,310 miles ... of very reliable motoring across those miles.

KIMG6322-a.thumb.jpg.9a87203fc18eab907d5245192c2d59a6.jpg

KIMG6324-a-inked.thumb.jpg.042a03e0ff714ba99edba1651aca1623.jpg

When my last car hit the 13 year mark, it had approximately 215,000 miles on the odometer.  It's amazing how life changes.

I am driving less and enjoying it more. 5600 miles on the Ranger five months in.

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

139287481_3980930428608110_6041077491832589796_n.jpg

I like it...

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Ugly but still lovable.

The same could be said for everyone who posts here 

I like the old truck..it fits in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

One more talented lady, she has a medical condition that makes her bald...Molly Tuttle...absolutely love her...fantastic voice and wonderful on the guitar. 

Awesome!

And then when I got to the end of the video and I saw Starlight Country Cabin 1832 and 1814, another song popped into my head. 

In 1814 we took a little trip along with colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.

We took a little bacon and we took a little beans and we caught the bloody British in a town in New Orleans.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Awesome!

And then when I got to the end of the video and I saw Starlight Country Cabin 1832 and 1814, another song popped into my head. 

In 1814 we took a little trip along with colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.

We took a little bacon and we took a little beans and we caught the bloody British in a town in New Orleans.

I have loved this song since I was a kid....what a wonderful way to start Friday...

48 Nash Super woodie wagon...

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

This was actually supposedly taken near Cleveland...

Want a Ford Ranger Raptor....but....who knew all along that I could build one with scraps in my garage....obviously not my work, this dude has mad skills. 

• Agree 4

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

139287481_3980930428608110_6041077491832589796_n.jpg

WOW, Momma Dropped the baby on his face and this is what happened. 😐 

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This is one talented lady, the integration of video is seemless...

NEAT! and worth a watch...

WOW, Septuplets, talk about a hard time figuring out which one your wife is. ;) 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Apparently it is Michigan City, Indiana on Lake Michigan.

However, there is an abundance of lighthouses along the Great Lakes photographed under those conditions to "shock and awe," for lack of a better description.  I am always fascinated by the possibilities in icicle formations.

- - - - -

Ford stock?  Upward potential?  Or does one just say "F"* it?

(* F is its ticker!)

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

Seems Ford is taking the Raptor to 700 plus horsepower for the upcoming 2021 Raptor and mules are out and about.

2021 Ford F-150 Raptor Is Coming, and Here's What to Expect (caranddriver.com)

Listen to the 2021 Ford F-150 Raptor R's 700+-HP V-8 (caranddriver.com)

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

However, there is an abundance of lighthouses along the Great Lakes photographed under those conditions to "shock and awe," for lack of a better description.  I am always fascinated by the possibilities in icicle formations.

- - - - -

Ford stock?  Upward potential?  Or does one just say "F"* it?

(* F is its ticker!)

Visiting lighthouses on the Lakes is one of my favorite road trip topics, in the before time from 2017-2019 I visited a dozen or so lighthouses along Lake Erie in Ohio, PA, and NY.  

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Visiting lighthouses on the Lakes is one of my favorite road trip topics, in the before time from 2017-2019 I visited a dozen or so lighthouses along Lake Erie in Ohio, PA, and NY.  

My wife and I toured lighthouses as part of our honeymoon thirty plus years ago. 

Bridge City Hand plane...they make beautiful tools...I ahve a few of their layout and measuring tools. This plane is twelve hudnred bucks...but wicked cool. 

A dual-angle bench plane used with the 35° blade bevel to smooth a piece of padauk

Actually $1120 before tax....more for you Canadian folk. 

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/bench/110556-bridge-city-hp-12-dual-angle-bench-plane?item=17N1810

Releasing the toggle lock mechanism when changing blades on a dual-angle bench plane

Using a dual-angle bench plane with the depth skates to plane a workpiece to a specific thickness

A dual-angle bench plane used with the toothed blade for rapid stock removal

17N1810 - Bridge City HP-12 Dual-Angle Bench Plane

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Actually $1120 before tax....more for you Canadian folk. 

LOL   

You got that right!   Most things sold in Cacada  Canada are more expensive.   (oops...keyboard Freudian slip...)

Just kidding. I LOVE CANADA!

I saw Don Cherry's youtube clip on the Canadian Juniors beating Germany 16-2 and a Russian troll  in the comments wrote that about Canada.  First time I heard it and I laughed...  Scroll down a tad to see it...  

Сергей Аксенов
Канада какнада

I google translated and google gave me Canada Kaknada.  But Im no fool...I KNOW what the dude meant...

Still funny though. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

Image may contain: text that says '" ONLY WHEN THE LAST TREE HAS BEEN CUT DOWN, THE LAST FISH BEEN CAUGHT, AND THE LAST STREAM POISONED, WILL WE REALIZE WE CANNOT EAT MONEY. " -CREE INDIAN PROPHECY fb.com/k.andreasova'

I came to this realization 2 years ago.

First, I heard Louis CK's stand-up comedy routine on God and money and why money and how He put "shyte on the ground for us to eat and mmmmmm bacon...   funny bit.

And then when I went to Greece on a family trip 2.5 years ago.

I thought about what my mommy told me (yes mommy, I will ALWAYS be her little boy...I miss her)

She told me when she left her parents at the age of 16 to live in Athens. She told her parents that she is done being a poor farmer's daughter. She will BUY her own bread...not make it herself.  

And so with THAT thought 2 years ago, I was thinking about what true freedom was. What being rich truly was.  What it all meant. 

I was VISITING Greece...the island paradise part of Greece. I wanted to escape the clutches of the 1st world. 

I was thinking about the peaches and figs I USED to pluck fresh from the trees as a visitor as even that does not exist anymore on the island paradises of Greece.  I was thinking about how my mommy lived back then.  I thought about how SHE wanted to and finally did, was to LEAVE THAT kind of life far behind her. For a better way of life. A life NOT as a slave to farm your own food.  A life that SHE provided ME with and now, I had the riches to take MY family back to where it all started from...    

I get to buy...bread, canned peaches and a plane ticket to paradise...yet my mommy...had FRESH figs, FRESH bread and FRESH peaches and the bloody beach at her fingertips...  

The irony still strongly resonates with me. 

And now...this lovely message I get to read.

• Agree 3

30 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I get to buy...bread, canned peaches and a plane ticket to paradise...yet my mommy...had FRESH figs, FRESH bread and FRESH peaches and the bloody beach at her fingertips...  

The irony still strongly resonates with me. 

And now...this lovely message I get to read.

Fresh food and a beach sounds nice really right now with sleet coming down.   Part of me wants to live in the Florida Keys again...but then I think about hurricanes and tropical storms. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Snowstorm from tonight unto the morning up here.  The good ole weather-dudes and dudettes are calling for 6 inches or so.   

But as compared to hurricanes and tropical storms...Ill gladly take sleet and a ton load of snow over that, thank-you very much! 

What is it I said earlier today?

Brrrrrr?

Am I contradicting myself here?

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

Snowstorm from tonight unto the morning up here.  The good ole weather-dudes and dudettes are calling for 6 inches or so.   

But as compared to hurricanes and tropical storms...Ill gladly take sleet and a ton load of snow over that, thank-you very much! 

Yeah, in thinking about extremes of weather and propensity to calamity in other places I've lived, NE Ohio and Great Lakes region seems pretty safe... 

• Agree 3

You know...

So far...Montreal has had 3 snowfalls since late November.  The first two were hardly anything.  A few  'liberal' snowflakes scared to stick around.  (LOL I wanted to make a funny! )   We did end up having a white XMAS...barely. 

In January we got 4 inches but because the next few days were above freezing, that snowfall didnt stick around either. 

This would be the forth snowfall. A legit snowstorm they are calling it. But...the temps are frighteningly high that..well...it aint right for a winter season in the North East.   I know that winter is faaaaar from over, but in the past, we would be cursing at the TV for another mentioning of snowflakes falling from the sky instead of salivating at the idea of maybe...we could have a decent snowball fight for the first time this season...

• Agree 3

Well, Ill be damned! 

Worked like a charm!!!

The first wave came in and I was biting my nails.  I thought maybe  that the onslaught of attacks would penetrate my Kevlar body armour.  I could feel the pouncing slightly on my chest...and then the BIG one came...and...NOTHING!

AWESOME~now I could put her on cruise control and let the good times roll!!!  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Fresh food and a beach sounds nice really right now with sleet coming down.   Part of me wants to live in the Florida Keys again...but then I think about hurricanes and tropical storms. 

I think Patagonia sounds nice, actually. 

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

139313441_409745556774935_8334140779638122045_n.jpg

Love this era of car, love the green, love pontiac, love that it is a two door, love the well preserved Patina, love the sunvisor. Sweet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1