Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

You can get a gas 6.6L V8 in the HD’s.

That was the weird part is that the black edition was only allowing you to configure it up with the Diesel when I was on there earlier today. 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

Regardless... If any of you gyus are into Caddies, the CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwings are due for unveiling 2/1/21.

Fantastic

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

You can get a gas 6.6L V8 in the HD’s.

Thought of you this morning. F250 Super duty with the Tremor package in a power stroke rolled up next to me when  I was dropping off recycling.

Thought to myself American made... That's what Balthazar needs.

Of course I bet that was an eighty thousand dollar truck because it was the platinum edition.

4 hours ago, David said:

I have to say that right now, I was loving the RAM for looks over Ford or GM options especially the butt ugly Chevrolet pickup. 

Yet then GM launches the 2021 HD Denali Black edition and I have to say this is HOT! Wish you could get it without the Diesel, but still this is now the best looking truck out there I think for the GM, Ford and Ram.

image.png

image.png

Only draw back for me is that the interior while nice, looks so dated.

image.png

The market disagrees with you those "butt ugly" Chevy trucks are selling super well.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, David said:

Ford Corporation has released their new Marketing Campaign of "Club Quarantine" with DJ D-NICE and the Launch of the 2021 F-150.

Quote:

A “Work It Out” 30-second television spot airs today on OWN, BET and TV One. It features D-Nice driving to a gig in a 2021 F-150 filled with DJ equipment. Respecting social distancing rules and his responsibilities toward masking up, D-Nice brings the party to the partygoers, utilizing the truck’s available Pro Power Onboard to run his equipment.

Ford Launches 2021 F-150 with New Lifestyle Campaign Featuring ‘Club Quarantine’ DJ D-Nice | Ford Media Center

I would take the F series over the GMC but the GMC looks fabulous.

4 hours ago, David said:

GM has released their plans to be Carbon Neutral by 2040 and this will come by eliminating tail-pipe emissions by 2035. 

As such this pretty much says that Chevrolet and GMC Gas / Diesel powered trucks / SUVs will be gone by 2035.

QUOTE: 

Electrification
The use of GM’s products accounts for 75 percent of carbon emissions related to this commitment. GM will offer 30 all-electric models globally by mid-decade and 40 percent of the company’s U.S. models offered will be battery electric vehicles by the end of 2025. GM is investing $27 billion in electric and autonomous vehicles in the next five years – up from the $20 billion planned before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Renewable Energy
To address emissions from its own operations, GM will source 100 percent renewable energy to power its U.S. sites by 2030 and global sites by 2035, which represents a five-year acceleration of the company’s previously announced global goal. Today, GM is the 10th largest offtaker of renewable energy in the world and in 2020, the company received a 2020 Green Power Leadership Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

General Motors, the Largest U.S. Automaker, Plans to be Carbon Neutral by 2040 (gm.com)

My issue with this is going to be a loss of sales. EV will pick up as things go along, but there still going to be a need for ICE vehicles, which includes new ones.

Not sure who will produce them after that.....

Also hearing we could see a major increase in gas prices late next year as well.....

• Agree 4

13 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The market disagrees with you those "butt ugly" Chevy trucks are selling super well.

As to why there is variety. Course everyone has their own tastes, that is why a Multi-Cultural society is so great due to variety.

Glad you love your Ford and are liking the Ford trucks. Keep everyone working is the goal. Excited to see the EV F-150.

Just now, daves87rs said:

My issue with this is going to be a loss of sales. EV will pick up as things go along, but there still going to be a need for ICE vehicles, which includes new ones.

Not sure who will produce them after that.....

Also hearing we could see a major increase in gas prices late next year as well.....

Yes, Interesting times for sure. Be interesting to see how this plays out. 2035 is 15 years away, so none of us know what all could happen globally. Covid-19, it seems is going to stick around for a few years and based on vaccination rates, I see it taking till 2023 to get the globe back to a semi normal life, but still not back to what it was before the virus hit.

5 hours ago, David said:

GM has released their plans to be Carbon Neutral by 2040 and this will come by eliminating tail-pipe emissions by 2035. 

As such this pretty much says that Chevrolet and GMC Gas / Diesel powered trucks / SUVs will be gone by 2035.

General Motors, the Largest U.S. Automaker, Plans to be Carbon Neutral by 2040 (gm.com)

It is incredibly sad that GM is kowtowing to the Global Warming Fraud and the environmental extremists, while insisting on forcing electrics down the throats of their customers instead of build ALL vehicle types that are in demand and which are legal then letting consumers decide what they want to buy.

Saying to people who do not want to spend hours recharging electric cars, do not care about carbon emissions, but who do want affordable, high performance, luxurious and/or reliable cars running on the cheapest form of energy currently available on Earth (fossil fuel) that we don't want your business is simply dumb.

Edited by dwightlooi
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Folks, feel free to stereotype ... some.  (It's a free country to begin with.)

I was looking at my homepage and saw a quick article about a woman in her 30s living in France who was presumably mauled to death at or near her home.  Her dogs were Rottweilers and the evidence points to the fact that they attacked her.  Even worse was the fact that she was an invalid, so she had no escape route.

There are some canine breeds I would never own.  When experts put together write-ups and articles about various breeds of dogs and cats, they're usually about 95% on point.

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Folks, feel free to stereotype ... some.  (It's a free country to begin with.)

Actually, no, it's not. Not anymore with the rampant censorship of contrary opinion currently going on. Regardless... the QM2 was the WORST cruise ship I had ever been on. OK, maybe not in the absolute sense, but definitely the worst for the money. Overpriced, segregated unnecessarily into class accessible areas and the food was... meh... even in Princess Grill (and I doubt Queens grill is any better). The class system made the "normal" passengers feel inferior without making the the suite passengers feel pampered or special. While it is a big ship, it also didn't feel spacious inside. If it is luxury you are after, try Carnival's Seabourn, NCL's Regent or RCI's Silversea for the money. If it is the big ship experience you like -- in particular the production shows and big budget entertainment -- try the RCI Oasis class megaships or even the Celebrity Edge class vessels.

QM2 Fort Lauderdale - 2.jpg

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, David said:

QUOTE: 

Electrification
The use of GM’s products accounts for 75 percent of carbon emissions related to this commitment. GM will offer 30 all-electric models globally by mid-decade and 40 percent of the company’s U.S. models offered will be battery electric vehicles by the end of 2025. GM is investing $27 billion in electric and autonomous vehicles in the next five years – up from the $20 billion planned before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Renewable Energy
To address emissions from its own operations, GM will source 100 percent renewable energy to power its U.S. sites by 2030 and global sites by 2035, which represents a five-year acceleration of the company’s previously announced global goal. Today, GM is the 10th largest offtaker of renewable energy in the world and in 2020, the company received a 2020 Green Power Leadership Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Carbon Neutral does not mean GM is going to totally stop building ICE vehicles by 2035. It just means that they are going to be building more BEV's to offset the ICE vehicles emissions for GM to set a Net Neutral Carbon footprint. It's basically the same as offsetting their CAFE number by building more EV's so they can still build Fullsize V8 gas and diesel trucks that sell very well here, as you know. U.S. made ICE vehicles are already some of the cleanliest burning in the world with our strict DOT emissions standards. We need the options to have both ICE and BEV and GM will deliver just that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_neutrality

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Carbon Neutral does not mean GM is going to totally stop building ICE vehicles by 2035. It just means that they are going to be building more BEV's to offset the ICE vehicles emissions for GM to set a Net Neutral Carbon footprint. It's basically the same as offsetting their CAFE number by building more EV's so they can still build Fullsize V8 gas and diesel trucks that sell very well here, as you know. U.S. made ICE vehicles are already some of the cleanliest burning in the world with our strict DOT emissions standards. We need the options to have both ICE and BEV and GM will deliver just that.

100% BEVs is a separate goal and timeline from becoming carbon neutral, the various articles I've read today say they aspire to build 100% BEVs or 100% zero-emission vehicles by 2035.. (not sure if they can achieve 100% zero-emission via ICE?)

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/general-motors-plans-to-exclusively-offer-electric-vehicles-by-2035.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/business/gm-only-emission-free-cars-by-2035/index.html

Will be interesting to see how it goes...

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

A better product strategy would be to totally IGNORE CAFE, but amortize the CAFE charges only to vehicles who are above CAFE mpg requirements instead of across the entire lineup. You can buy a non-CAFE meeting car, just pay the insignificant fine. Or you can buy some green mobile that needs to be charged or which has a few thousand dollars worth of fuel saving systems that (I guarantee) is more than the $55 per MPG CAFE penalty.

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

Actually, no, it's not. Not anymore with the rampant censorship of contrary opinion currently going on. Regardless... the QM2 was the WORST cruise ship I had ever been on. OK, maybe not in the absolute sense, but definitely the worst for the money. Overpriced, segregated unnecessarily into class accessible areas and the food was... meh... even in Princess Grill (and I doubt Queens grill is any better). The class system made the "normal" passengers feel inferior without making the the suite passengers feel pampered or special. While it is a big ship, it also didn't feel spacious inside. If it is luxury you are after, try Carnival's Seabourn, NCL's Regent or RCI's Silversea for the money. If it is the big ship experience you like -- in particular the production shows and big budget entertainment -- try the RCI Oasis class megaships or even the Celebrity Edge class vessels.

QM2 Fort Lauderdale - 2.jpg

This is the first down vote I've ever given.  The pleasure is all mine.

I was talking mostly about a French lady who was mauled by her own dogs ...

I wish I had to spare change to sail on the QM2.  Lucky you.  I went on the QE2 back in the day.  There were issues ... with the borderline stuffy British nature of the service, which was true to a stereotype as well.  How does the QM2 even work its way into notion of stereotyping in light of this discussion?   That's a stretch.  And, unless you're sailing on one of those intimate and expensive cruise lines, they have to allocate the restaurant seats in line with the money spent on the (type of) cabin.  My thing with the QM2 is that it's a beautifully crafted work of naval architecture, featuring the traditional black hull.  And, most of all, the forecastle is pushed back and tapered while the rear decks staircase down, while still managing to have so many balcony cabins above the lifeboats.  This is in contrast to the current norm for cruise ship design, in which the the fronts and rears are sliced off as if they were bricks of cheddar cheese.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

100% BEVs is a separate goal and timeline from becoming carbon neutral, the various articles I've read today say they aspire to build 100% BEVs or 100% zero-emission vehicles by 2035.. (not sure if they can achieve 100% zero-emission via ICE?)

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/general-motors-plans-to-exclusively-offer-electric-vehicles-by-2035.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/business/gm-only-emission-free-cars-by-2035/index.html

Will be interesting to see how it goes...

It's all Automotive Corps. pandering to the EPA and competing or the "first to be" Carbon Neutral hence GM stating "largely electric" by 2035.

Nissan also announced yesterday that they would be Carbon Neutral by 2050. Audi stated late last year that they would be CN by 2050 as well...  

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/news/nation_world/gm-sets-goal-of-going-carbon-neutral-by-2040/article_af1f33f8-1dc1-5707-b0ee-5b317a1b968b.html

https://www.vikendi.net/2021/01/27/nissan-will-be-carbon-neutral-by-2050-in-the-world/

https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/audi-on-the-road-toward-co2-neutral-production-sites/

Edited by USA-1

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I wish I had to spare change to sail on the QM2.  Lucky you.  I went on the QE2 back in the day.  There were issues ... with the borderline stuffy British nature of the service, which was true to a stereotype as well.  How does the QM2 even work its way into notion of stereotyping in light of this discussion?   That's a stretch.  And, unless you're sailing on one of those intimate and expensive cruise lines, they have to allocate the restaurant seats in line with the money spent on the (type of) cabin.  My thing with the QM2 is that it's a beautifully crafted work of naval architecture, featuring the traditional black hull.  And, most of all, the forecastle is pushed back and tapered while the rear decks staircase down, while still managing to have so many balcony cabins above the lifeboats.  This is in contrast to the current norm for cruise ship design, in which the the fronts and rears are sliced off as if they were bricks of cheddar cheese.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not that there aren't unslightly aspects to the QM2 -- such as the fake rounded stern with conspicuous cheeks when this is in fact a flat transom hull -- but I wasn't talking about the exterior looks of the ship. My point was that the QM2 on-board experience does not measure up to the price. It is about 50% more expensive than the mass market lines but it does not feel any more luxurious or special. In fact, the interior passages were awkward in many places and the ship doesn't have the modern 10 deck atrium and hence didn't feel airy on the inside. For a very big ship it also didn't have entertainment that measured up to the other very big ships. I was on her relatively early in her career... circa 2009 when the ship was about 5 years old.

• Agree 1

Hmmmm....

There seems something wrong, but I cant put my finger on it.  Seems something dirty is in the air.  Cant see it. 

Its not in the water. That be in Boston

'Cause the Bruins beat that shytty Pennsylvania team...in Boston tonight. 

sidney crybaby- | Funny hockey memes, Hockey mom, Hockey memes

Oh yeah!  Its clear to me now...   Good 'ole Bugsy boy didnt turn left at Albuquerque

Nobody put baby in a corner and Sidney didnt seem to care because of it...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

Interesting drone footage....the red stuff is transmission fluid, not blood. The drivers are not bleeding, the trucks are. Although the driver of the green truck is in critical condition. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Sad 2

Weird animal stories, they seem to come in waves ...

I'm saying to myself, "Where in (North) America did this occur?"  "It could happen to any of us."  It happened in Romania.  This bear was persistent. Shouldn't the bear be hibernating, or couldn't the bear just focus on berries instead?

Then there's this one in Gulf off SW Florida.  I thought they were just offshore.  They were about 50 miles out.  

You always get the idiot who decides to touch the shark ...

10 hours ago, daves87rs said:

woods van GIF by South Park

Chateau Club Wagon would have been an answer for big families in the 70s...

27 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'm working thru my hangup on this issue. Gettin' there.

Weird how the fluid blew forward. I get the 2nd truck... but not on the 1st one.

Slope?  Or the 1st truck backed up into the 2nd one after spewing it's crap...

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

And I bet you still complained about interior room. Why couldn’t they just build the car to seat 13 seven foot basketball players ?!

After the Olds Station Wagon, the family went Suburban's and has never really looked back. :P 

• Agree 1

I realized I shared this on FB, but not here.

Took my Equinox for a long drive (it has gone very far for a little while) , and on my way home, could really smell oil coming through the heat vents. When I got home-I opened the hood. No dipstick, and oil all over the engine. Started cleaning a bit of it up- but realized it was going to be a big job out in the cold.

Called the dealership where the OC happened. They are going to check it out. I also had to add a little bit of oil as well. I want to make sure they take a good look at it- and clean the engine as well. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

I realized I shared this on FB, but not here.

Took my Equinox for a long drive (it has gone very far for a little while) , and on my way home, could really smell oil coming through the heat vents. When I got home-I opened the hood. No dipstick, and oil all over the engine. Started cleaning a bit of it up- but realized it was going to be a big job out in the cold.

Called the dealership where the OC happened. They are going to check it out. I also had to add a little bit of oil as well. I want to make sure they take a good look at it- and clean the engine as well. 

Wish you all the best in getting a replacement dip stick and the mess cleaned up. That attention to detail is just not acceptable.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, balthazar said:

My point was the 1st truck shows zero signs of having impacted anything; why would it blow a trans line?

Some other cause... overstressed the transmission, rusted lines, etc? Maybe it was a poorly maintained worn out truck...

1 hour ago, David said:

Wish you all the best in getting a replacement dip stick and the mess cleaned up. That attention to detail is just not acceptable.

Thanks. I think my biggest concern is that the oil got into places it should not be, like sensors. Not to mention simply being able to tell if it has issues. (Like leaking or burning oil)

Normally I might just clean it up myself (I started slightly) but it is quite cold out, and I need to check to make sure nothing was effected by oil getting all over. More than likely it should be fine- but since there is a great chance I buy out out at the end of the lease, it is best to be sure.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

My point was the 1st truck shows zero signs of having impacted anything; why would it blow a trans line?

You do not usually blow transmission lines because you impacted something; that usually leads to a cracked case or leaking pan but the lines would be generally intact.

You usually blow lines because of an internal blockage causing a spike in hydraulic pressures.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Weird how the fluid blew forward. I get the 2nd truck... but not on the 1st one.

Yeah, I thought so also. I almost wonder if another truck was wrecked and got towed away before these drone videos were taken. 

35 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Thanks. I think my biggest concern is that the oil got into places it should not be, like sensors. Not to mention simply being able to tell if it has issues. (Like leaking or burning oil)

Normally I might just clean it up myself (I started slightly) but it is quite cold out, and I need to check to make sure nothing was effected by oil getting all over. More than likely it should be fine- but since there is a great chance I buy out out at the end of the lease, it is best to be sure.

Very few places I would actually trust to change my oil, this is not the first story I heard about this kind of a thing from a quick oil change location. 

35 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Very few places I would actually trust to change my oil, this is not the first story I heard about this kind of a thing from a quick oil change location. 

6 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Interesting drone footage....the red stuff is transmission fluid, not blood. The drivers are not bleeding, the trucks are. Although the driver of the green truck is in critical condition. 

Yep, got nasty up North towards Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. ADOT closed the I-40 and I-17 North on Tuesday after a huge storm hit. We had quite a bit of rain here in "The Valley of the Sun" Phoenix Metro. Definitely was depressing PNW Winter weather, gloomy gray clouds and constant rain for a couple days, don't miss it.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Yep, got nasty up North towards Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. ADOT closed the I-40 and I-17 North on Tuesday after a huge storm hit. We had quite a bit of rain here in "The Valley of the Sun" Phoenix Metro. Definitely was depressing PNW Winter weather, gloomy gray clouds and constant rain for a couple days, don't miss it.

Definitely not good weather for Camping, hiking riding a bike or motorcycle, or playing basketball outdoors. 

Feel good song for Friday. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

You always get the idiot who decides to touch the shark ...

That must be a law abiting shark (yes...intentional spelling mistake for obvious pun reasons)

Seeing that the shark was seemingly only wanting to bite the boat, maybe there is a law in Florida for sharks not to bite stupid humans?   

Steven spielberg matt hooper cineplexmovies GIF on GIFER - by Cedred

On a serious note regarding the idiot that wanted to pet the shark:

I cant believe the idiot said that the shark wanted to play when the shark showed  its belly.

Yeah...I think the shark was playing alright. Playing with him  in a Machiavellian kind of way.  I think the shark was telling him "do that one more time motherphoquer, and you'll end up in here!"   

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Yeah, I thought so also. I almost wonder if another truck was wrecked and got towed away before these drone videos were taken. 

The scary part is that this was my local GM dealership the car came from....

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I cant believe the idiot said that the shark wanted to play when the shark showed  its belly.

Yeah...I think the shark was playing alright. Playing with him  in a Machiavellian kind of way.  I think the shark was telling him "do that one more time motherphoquer, and you'll end up in here!"   

That's one way to look at it!

What gets me is when people go further out into water that has sharks and they're in those inflatable boats with motors.  That's just insane.

- - - - -

Good morning, folks:

Seawall Blvd. on Galveston Island's main road fronting the Gulf is apparently obsessed with sharks,* too!

KIMG4473.thumb.JPG.e9fa10b22fa709438266b0fb8b26f1a6.JPG

* unmistakably a white ...

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I assure you, this is a random thought not related to any immediately prior post in this thread.

Isn't it rather boring?

Boring can be good. It can reduce stress, blood pressure, insomnia, etc.

Right now, a lot of us can handle boring and dull just fine.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Boring can be good. It can reduce stress, blood pressure, insomnia, etc.

Right now, a lot of us can handle boring and dull just fine.

Well as a writer I guess I've done my job with my downvoted post above... you have interpreted it from your point of view, and felt it merited a red arrow.  Other ppl might read it and have something completely different enter their minds... they might agree with what I said.

• Disagree 2

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well as a writer I guess I've done my job with my downvoted post above... you have interpreted it from your point of view, and felt it merited a red arrow.  Other ppl might read it and have something completely different enter their minds... they might agree with what I said.

When you make obtuse irrational points that can be interpreted a number of different ways it doesn't exactly give warm fuzzies.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2