Random Thoughts Thread

20 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see current news photos of this "thing:"

15861467-0600-4593-b740-9818db0bc305-bas

Some of my friends helped build that back when i was working as an electrician....all I could remember thinking was....that thing is going to be an enormous white elephant when people stop buying overpriced baskets. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I really like this simple bench....I ahve about 12 other projects ahead of being able to start it though...

The speeds on the video in Kilometers per hour rather than Miles per hour....because he is Canadian. Funny, pointed, well done. I love this guys videos. 

I like riding a bicycle...but I like rail trails and being away from cars. 

E bikes seem like a disaster waiting to happen. 

Impressive restoration work, I love this guys work. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

For my fellow aviation buffs here...If I flew...I would love to fly this. Badass....

Cant see the video because "the uploader has not made this video available in your country".   Keep in my I live in Canada.  Very important information for later on.

To see the video, there are many ways to skin a cat...

I find out that the uploader is the Smithsonian Channel Aviation Nation

Then I find out the plane in question is the De Havilland Twin Otter.   

Motherphoquer!!!  The Smithsonian is blocking a video to Canada about a Canadian airplane!   Its not even ironic at this point.  More like moronic.   Anyway, there must be a valid reason for this...

But yeah!  The Twin Otter IS bad ass!!!  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

Cant see the video because "the uploader has not made this video available in your country".   Keep in my I live in Canada.  Very important information for later on.

To see the video, there are many ways to skin a cat...

I find out that the uploader is the Smithsonian Channel Aviation Nation

Then I find out the plane in question is the De Havilland Twin Otter.   

Motherphoquer!!!  The Smithsonian is blocking a video to Canada about a Canadian airplane!   Its not even ironic at this point.  More like moronic.   Anyway, there must be a valid reason for this...

But yeah!  The Twin Otter IS bad ass!!!  

I would so fly that bird....so fly that bird....I love that plane. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

What a shame we can't get linework like that this side of, roughly, 1970. What a gorgeous phantom!!

We have a bit of a scare with your recent posts...is everything okay?

As gorgeous as all of those vintage cars are, we don't want to have you join them in the land of the departed. 

Still trying to get down to the yard in Mount Sterling for the B-59 thing, Have not forgotten you. 

One more for now...

Image may contain: 3 people, beard and outdoor, text that says 'believe there is one God, and she was like a single woman, and she was just dating. She went out on multiple dates with multiple prophets. That's how it happened. She said the exact same thing to different prophets. Exact same thing. But because they were men they understood different shit and wrote different shit down and that became religions. That's all religion is. It's mansplaining.'

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

No big deal, didn't mean to alarm.

I tried a... gummie. ;)

Okay. Here I am worried about what a colonoscopy revealed. Should not have worried....you are one of the guys here not pulling crap out of your ass....

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, ocnblu said:

2021 Ranger STX Special Edition in Cactus Gray ~

vehicle.png

That is lust worthy. Cactus grey is one of my favorite Ford colors. 

5 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Not so sure what is attracting me to it....but I like it.....

I am very happy with mine....but it is black...

This is one of my favorite movie scenes. One can only imagine how much fun the young girls had in filming it...makes me want to be a kid again. 

On 1/18/2021 at 8:49 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

I really like this simple bench....I ahve about 12 other projects ahead of being able to start it though...

The speeds on the video in Kilometers per hour rather than Miles per hour....because he is Canadian. Funny, pointed, well done. I love this guys videos. 

I like riding a bicycle...but I like rail trails and being away from cars. 

E bikes seem like a disaster waiting to happen. 

Impressive restoration work, I love this guys work. 

Love the wood work, crazy true about e-Bikes, I seen more than my share of them get nailed in Seattle. Auto drivers just do not see them coming so fast. Mustang is a true labor of love as it really was end of life IMHO. Still cool to see the amazing metal work.

15 hours ago, ocnblu said:

2021 Ranger STX Special Edition in Cactus Gray ~

vehicle.png

Blah, that is as attractive as a Tesla, just no passion in that bland body shape to me.

WOW, The Original 427 Cobra owned by Carol Shelby underwent a full restoration and then just sold for almost $6 million dollars. Crazy.

Carroll Shelby's Personal 427 Cobra Sells for $5.94 Million - Mecum (roadandtrack.com)

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, David said:

Love the wood work, crazy true about e-Bikes, I seen more than my share of them get nailed in Seattle. Auto drivers just do not see them coming so fast. Mustang is a true labor of love as it really was end of life IMHO. Still cool to see the amazing metal work.

Blah, that is as attractive as a Tesla, just no passion in that bland body shape to me.

WOW, The Original 427 Cobra owned by Carol Shelby underwent a full restoration and then just sold for almost $6 million dollars. Crazy.

Carroll Shelby's Personal 427 Cobra Sells for $5.94 Million - Mecum (roadandtrack.com)

I actually really like mine...to each his own...

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I actually really like mine...to each his own...

Very cool Video, thanks for posting it.

I am Very Happy for you that you like your new Ford. As you say to each their own. Right now the only Ford that has me excited is the Mach-E. Very much waiting for one to get to the local Ford Dealer so I can go check it out.

Crazy the amount listed at the local Ford Stores for the Mach-E but none in stock yet.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, David said:

Very cool Video, thanks for posting it.

I am Very Happy for you that you like your new Ford. As you say to each their own. Right now the only Ford that has me excited is the Mach-E. Very much waiting for one to get to the local Ford Dealer so I can go check it out.

Crazy the amount listed at the local Ford Stores for the Mach-E but none in stock yet.

I am sure they will have quite the surplus offered soon. Wish them well on the Mach E....

And right now the only GM product that has me excited is the Cololrado ZR2. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

;)

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 6.39.02 PM.png

I love both the Rivian, and the Ranger. Also, the trail boss is hot. GM is bringing in younger truck buyers with the current full size Chevy, so all of the poeple here crying crocodile tears about the Silverado design can pretty much pound sand. GM is selling them like hotcakes. 

And that cactus grey is hot. I almost delayed buying my truck to get that color, but really liked the particular truck I bought during the test drive so I pulled the trigger. 

Neat...she is very talented. 

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Thank you!  This is the best "Chicago" song, IMO, because of its significant "urbane" stand-alone instrumental segments.

I agree. 

More music for Wednesday. 

Seems all the gains from EVs in reducing carbon emissions has been negated by the 42% change to SUVs across the globe and especially more with trucks in the US. Trucks and Especially SUV/CUVs are gaining popularity across the globe as car sales sink.

Carbon emissions fell across all sectors in 2020 except for one – SUVs – Analysis - IEA

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, David said:

Seems all the gains from EVs in reducing carbon emissions has been negated by the 42% change to SUVs across the globe and especially more with trucks in the US. Trucks and Especially SUV/CUVs are gaining popularity across the globe as car sales sink.

Carbon emissions fell across all sectors in 2020 except for one – SUVs – Analysis - IEA

A whole lot of car buyers: I Want MY SUV!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

SUVs are one thing, but the bulk of small & mid-size CUVs are merely cars.

Yes, it's really the form factor that has taken the auto market by storm--two box tall wagon-ish hatchbacks...regardless of whether it's a FWD/AWD car underneath, or a dedicated SUV platform or BOF truck based...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, David said:

This is why companies like Rivian are so important. Electrics I think Long term (think 20-50 years) will keep people driving vehicles they want to drive. 

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, it's really the form factor that has taken the auto market by storm--two box tall wagon-ish hatchbacks...regardless of whether it's a FWD/AWD car underneath, or a dedicated SUV platform or BOF truck based...

Why ve3hicles like the 4 Runner and Grand Cherokee are so good....they are a true dual purpose vehicle that can go out and play in the woods. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Why vehicles like the 4 Runner and Grand Cherokee are so good....they are a true dual purpose vehicle that can go out and play in the woods. 

Yes...that's why I've driven GCs for over 20 years...really nice on road as a daily in any weather, and capable off road when I want to get away... the 4Runner was really the only other SUV I looked at closely back in '00 when I bought my first GC.

• Agree 2

Seems the 2021 Cadillac Escalade Reviews are coming out and they say Cadillac has taken back

The Standard of the World for Luxury SUVs. 

Cross shop it with the Mercedes brand and Cadillac wins. 😮 

Quote I can totally agree with:

Drivetrain-wise, I think it's time to make this truck electric. Big V8s have plenty of power and this particular 6.2-liter works well with GM's 10-speed transmission, but I now wonder how much faster, quieter and efficient it could be if it cribbed from that new GMC Hummer EV's playbook

2021 Cadillac Escalade Review: The Standard of the World Takes Back the SUV Crown (thedrive.com)

The question and answer section had a good question about comparing Cadillac Escalade to GMC Yukon Denali. Here was the response from the writer.

The Cadillac gets metallic switchgear where the Denali does not, and indeed most (all?) of the other switchgear in the interior is different. The climate controls are completely different and have nothing in common with any other vehicle on the platform, and the Denali doesn't get an infotainment controller like the Cadillac does. Really, it's hard to spot similarities between the two, besides the steering column which I mentioned previously.

Really, the more I look for similar areas, the less I find. Heck, even the glovebox is different on the Cadillac, something I would expect to be carried over. It's not even worth trying to say what's still the same, because so much is different. And for the record, It doesn't feel like a cheap car from the inside, so changing all of this stuff really does pay off. The seats are also much nicer in the Escalade, especially with the optional leather.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2