Random Thoughts Thread

I really am a huge New York Central fan, loved their old logos. They went away in 1968 with the merger with the Pennsylvania to form Penn  Central. 

New York Central Railroad: Map, Locomotives, Logo, History

New York Central Railroad Logo and History | New york central railroad, New  york central, Train posters

New York Central Railroad Sticker / Decal R4629 Railway Train – Winter Park  Products

New York Central (NYC) RR License Plate – Mohawk Design

New York Central Railroad Logo Steel Train Sign New 14" x 9" | eBay

I am also a sucker for the similar Powermatic logo. 

Powermatic 12" Woodworking Planer PM100 Model 100 for sale online | eBay

I have a model 100 planer, similar machine to the one the above name plate is attached to, it dates to 1955, its a beast, runs perfectly. 

I don't like thier modern logo nearly so much. 

Powermatic - PMC Tool

Big fan of the old Soo Line logo as well...

Soo Line Logo 1 Photograph by John Brueske

Love the Nickel Plate Road logo as well. 

Nickel Plate Road (Railroad): Map, Logo, Roster, Timetables

• Agree 2

This is one of my favorite tool logo's, Delta....

image.png

I like their older logo better though. 

Delta Round Badge Timeline - Old Machinery Badges and Decals - The Patriot  Woodworker

Even older Delta Logo.

Delta Tools Logo - LogoDix

Photo Index - Delta Specialty/Delta Mfg. Co./Delta-Rockwell/Rockwell Intl.  - Delta Specialty Co. Model 700 | VintageMachinery.org

I love the Eagle on older Oliver tools. My badge on my lathe and 18 inch bandsaw will look this good when i am done restoring them. 

Oliver Machinery Co. - 217-D badge | Oliver, Machinery, Gum

I guess I really live in an analog world, as opposed to the digital world that Robert Hall lives in...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Even if it hasn't technically happened, it is very much a reality and has been for years.

With recent redesigns, Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin look and work more similarly than differently...a few times I've had to look closely to realize *which* one I was on.  

• Agree 1

On 1/8/2021 at 6:32 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

That '40 Merc CT is HOT! Mobster style.

540cid BB in that Sq. Body?1 Dang!

Very clean lifted silver Sq. Body on cover shot below and @2:55 is very close to the look of my white '86 SB LB 3/4 ton 4x4 I had, mine had a 4" Rancho lift with 35x16.5" BFG AT's I had the chrome 8 horizontal square bar grille. Trying to find a digital pic. Man I miss that truck! 

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, USA-1 said:

That '40 Merc CT is HOT! Mobster style.

540cid BB in that Sq. Body?1 Dang!

Very clean lifted silver Sq. Body on cover shot below and @2:55 is very close to the look of my white '86 SB LB 3/4 ton 4x4 I had, mine had a 4" Rancho lift with 35x16.5" BFG AT's I had the chrome 8 horizontal square bar grille. Trying to find a digital pic. Man I miss that truck! 

I like square body Chevy trucks more all of the time.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I like square body Chevy trucks more all of the time.

Always liked the square body C10s..esp. like the '83-84 grille, and the '73-74.  

maxresdefault.jpg

img-0944-1553002429263@2x.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

Seems Ford is pulling back in their restructure to be a profitable auto company with higher ATP's. As such 5,000 people will loose their jobs as Ford closes manufacturing in Brazil. They will still keep sales, but auto's will be brought in from Argentina and other places around the globe.

Ford ending manufacturing in Brazil, continuing South America operations (detroitnews.com)

• Agree 1

GM News, Due to overwhelming demand for Midnight, Sport and RS SUV's, these packages will be expanded to meet customer needs as GM acknowledges that Customer Choice is the Competitive advantage for Chevrolet allowing customers to choose the packages that give them the custom look and Technology they want.

Chevrolet to Expand Availability of Midnight, Sport and RS Packages on SUV Portfolio Due to Overwhelming Success

image.png

Seems Australia is even more conservative about what you have in a commercial as they stopped this commercial from playing due to the drift done in the commercial.

Australia Bans 2021 Toyota Yaris GR Commercial Over the Briefest of Drifts (thedrive.com)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Seems Australia is even more conservative about what you have in a commercial as they stopped this commercial from playing due to the drift done in the commercial.

Australia Bans 2021 Toyota Yaris GR Commercial Over the Briefest of Drifts (thedrive.com)

Takes all the fun out.....

13 hours ago, David said:

Seems Ford is pulling back in their restructure to be a profitable auto company with higher ATP's. As such 5,000 people will loose their jobs as Ford closes manufacturing in Brazil. They will still keep sales, but auto's will be brought in from Argentina and other places around the globe.

Ford ending manufacturing in Brazil, continuing South America operations (detroitnews.com)

This makes infintie sense, and is one reason I honestly went from hating Ford to loving them. They went from trying to be everything to everyone and for everyone to being their own honest self. 

Proud to be a Ford owner. Also, the ten speed tranny that was slightly notchy and awkward when i got the ragner is now buttery smooth. I am loving this trukc more every day. It ranks up there with my 55 Chevy, 66 Mustang Fastback, 2002 Maxda Miata, and 2015 Diesel Jetta as one of the top five favorite vehicles (out of about 30!) that I have owned. 

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Word association....

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Takes all the fun out.....

I love really small cars, cool advert. 

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Sun Valley ~

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 11.12.20 PM.png

Of all of the vintage pics you have posted, this is one of my favorite. 

• Agree 1

For 'blu....alnternate powered vehicle...replica of the worlds first motorcycle...looks like it is steam powered. 

No photo description available.

To everyone here....again...I love her voice....this is from me to you though..."You have a friend in me."

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

To everyone here....again...I love her voice....this is from me to you though..."You have a friend in me."

Beautiful woman with a very lovely voice, thanks for posting! :metal:

• Agree 1

We had a major wind and rain storm over night. Winds clocked at gusts up to 121 MPH at Snoqualmie pass. I90 freeway.

At Deception Pass that goes over the water to the island of Oak Harbor, a USPS truck was blown over onto the railing and they had to wait a few hours as crews cleared downed trees before they could right the truck. No damage or USPS mail lost, but during the constant 60 to 65 mph windows, the truck looked like it could blow over even though the bridge had upright beams that would keep it from going.

image.png

Mail semi nearly blown off Deception Pass Bridge during windstorm (msn.com)

• Agree 1

I enjoyed this video, yes it is a lowrider, but glad to see old GM iron put back on the road and restored. 

Neat wood working/Aviation video. 

• Agree 3

A little late. But I got to post a tribute to the late Tommy Lasorda. 

From a Montreal point of view. He pitched for the Dodger's farm team, the Montreal Royals. (Brooklyn that is) 

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/hab-at-heart-tommy-lasorda/c-886339  

I saw this game live on TV. It was an epic game. Extra innings into the wee hours of the night. 19 or 20 some odd innings.  

And of course, the run in with the Philly Phanatic is just soooo...much more...

RIP Tommy

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

@A Horse With No Name I started to follow this guy. Wife and I want to have him build us a custom square table for the kitchen that will have 3 chairs per side, total of 12 chairs. His work is amazing.

Handcrafted Custom Woodwork | NW Custom Woodwork

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7oo_0tBRn6/

image.png

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, David said:

@A Horse With No Name I started to follow this guy. Wife and I want to have him build us a custom square table for the kitchen that will have 3 chairs per side, total of 12 chairs. His work is amazing.

Handcrafted Custom Woodwork | NW Custom Woodwork

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7oo_0tBRn6/

image.png

Yeah it is. 

The live edge table I built. I am going to put simple modern steel chairs with it, and a simple modern light fixture. My next project is building a modern style table for behind the sofa. the shakerish table is going to be a desk upstairs. 

No description available.

Not a very clean photo, Christmas dishes on the table....sorry. You can't really see it but solid piece of Ash, with a lot of natural figure. 

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, balthazar said:

RE the ‘62 Pontiac: I believe the 4-spd would be a RPO by that year- it came out in ‘60. Car may have well been ordered, but 4-cog should be RPO.
8-lugs came out for late ‘60, these look to have ‘63-64 center caps / trim rings.

Yeah, they were added later, and are incorrect for '62. It came stock with hubcaps, which they still have with the car. 

Image may contain: meme, text that says 'WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE INSURANCE, BUT YOU HAVE A LOWES CARD!'

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Image may contain: mountain, outdoor, nature and water

When Covid is over, Would like to sit down with Trinicriabob and talk about hsi European travels...

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

You're funny!  Is the top photo Victoria Falls?  As for the lower photo, that could be the Dolomites in Italy, but also Austria, Switzerland, or Bavaria.  If it's the Dolomites, I have driven the Great Dolomite Road twice and it is incredible!

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

You're funny!  Is the top photo Victoria Falls?  As for the lower photo, that could be the Dolomites in Italy, but also Austria, Switzerland, or Bavaria.  If it's the Dolomites, I have driven the Great Dolomite Road twice and it is incredible!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maletsunyane_Falls

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

A bit of dreaming. 

• Agree 1