Random Thoughts Thread

On 6/16/2023 at 5:03 PM, David said:

Too funny considering it was one day after he received another indictment again. 

season 2 trump GIF by Our Cartoon President

Yes.  That's what I was referring to when I said he got his "present" the day before.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What I had meant to say is Happy Father's Day to our members, in any which way this can be construed, including being a parent to our four legged friends, and also to the dads that might be your parents, your relatives, and your friends.  So, greetings from Lusitania, which is a real place, even though the name has been changed.

• Like 2

Seems Rivian under promised and over delivered in EPA of the R1S.

EPA Filings Reveal 2023 Rivian R1S Dual-Motor Range | Edmunds

Wheel size does make a difference.

Rivian on their configuration had the following:

• 20" Wheel Range - 300 miles
  • 21" Wheel Range - 320 miles
  • 22" Wheel Range - 320 miles

Rivian EPA Range on the Large Battery pack 135 kWh:

• 20" Wheel Range - 305.79 miles
  • 21" Wheel Range - 348 miles
  • 22" Wheel Range - 352 miles

Snag_11f72a79.png

• Like 1

Seems many anouncements over the last 72hours at various electrical events in Europe and the U.S.

At Intersolar 2023 the following anouncement was made by SolarEdge.

Intersolar 2023: SolarEdge Unveils New Bi-Directional DC-Coupled Electric Vehicle Charger

DC-coupled architecture allows simultaneous EV charging directly from PV, home battery and AC grid, enabling charging of up to 24kW  

Paves way forz EV batteries to function as large home storage solutions, on and off-grid

Munich, Germany and Milpitas, California (June 14, 2023) – SolarEdge Technologies, Inc. (“SolarEdge”) (NASDAQ: SEDG), a global leader in smart energy, today unveiled its new Bi-Directional DC EV Charger (“Charger”) at Intersolar Europe. The new charger will enable solar-powered Vehicle-to-Home (V2H) and Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) functionalities and is expected to be commercially available in the second half of 2024.

Based on SolarEdge’s innovative DC-coupled architecture, the Charger is expected offers several benefits:

Charging the EV directly from PV with no unnecessary AC-to-DC power conversions

Fast charging of up to 24kW by simultaneously drawing electricity from the PV array, the home battery and the grid, bypassing the home’s AC infrastructure and the limitations of the car’s onboard EV charger 

Charging the EV with excess PV, leveraging the SolarEdge inverters DC to AC oversizing (up to 200%) 

In addition, SolarEdge’s ONE energy optimization system will offer enhanced savings by applying smart algorithms to calculate dynamic utility prices and autonomously charge and discharge the EV battery. This will enable homeowners to receive payments from their electricity supplier during demand response events, by discharging their stored EV battery power back to the grid (V2G). 

In addition, the EV battery can function as a large home battery storage solution of up to 50kWh, both on and off grid, enabling homeowners to use their EV to back up their homes for extended periods during an outage (V2H). 

The Charger will be compatible with both 400V and 800V EV powertrains via a standard CSS connector.

SolarEdge Unveils New Bi-Directional DC-Coupled Electric Vehicle Charger

• Like 1

Very cool, new EV connectors for newly built and conversion/restoration autos.

Eaton’s Power Connections Employing Innovative Sealed High-power Lock Box Connectors | Business Wire

Pretty cool as more and more parts are being built for the EV market which also brings up the benefits to conversion/restoration of having decent solid power connector blocks.

New Contactor for Electromobility C801 / Schaltbau

• Like 1

Very interesting read in the following press release from Hyundai:

'Hyundai Motor Way' Sets Course for Accelerated Electrification and Future Mobility Goals at 2023 CEO Investor Day - Hyundai Newsroom

Generation 2 of their EV platform will be known as IMA platform or Integrated Modular Architecture and this next gen EV platform will support 13 new dedicated EV models for Hyundai, Kia and Genesis. This platform standardizes modules and parts across the full EV portfolio allowing to reduce development complexity and cost.

This new platform also fully supports from Micro-Compact all the way to Full-size trucks and suvs using an assortment of battery pack designs. 

A much-desired enhancement to their current E-GMP platform that had considerable restrictions.

• Like 1

Gotta Love it that GM is leading in the most autos on the J.D. Powers Initial Quality Survey.

2023 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) | J.D. Power (jdpower.com)

Highest-Ranking Brands and Models
Dodge is the highest-ranking brand overall in initial quality with a score of 140 PP100. Among mass market brands, Ram (141 PP100) ranks second and Buick (162 PP100) ranks third.

Among premium brands, Alfa Romeo ranks highest with a score of 143 PP100. Porsche (167 PP100) ranks second and Cadillac (170 PP100) ranks third.

The parent corporation receiving the most model-level awards is General Motors Company (seven awards), followed by Hyundai Motor Group (five) and Toyota Motor Corporation (four). Among brands, Chevrolet and Kia receive the most segment awards (four).

• General Motors Company models that rank highest in their respective segments are Buick Encore GX, Cadillac Escalade, Cadillac XT6, Chevrolet Camaro, Chevrolet Corvette, Chevrolet Equinox and Chevrolet Tahoe.
  • Hyundai Motor Group models that rank highest in their respective segments are Genesis G80, Kia Carnival, Kia Forte, Kia Rio and Kia Stinger.
  • Toyota Motor Corporation models that rank highest in their respective segments are Lexus GX, Lexus IS, Toyota Camry and Toyota 4Runner.
  • Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. has the highest-ranking model overall, the Nissan Maxima with 106 PP100, and the Nissan Murano ranks highest in its respective segment.
  • Like 1

The birthday board at the right side of the forum page indicates/d:

Happy birthday to @Robert Hall

Happy birthday to @bobo

Edit:  Happy birthday to @loki , too!

There's a little bit of slush in the time zones, but close enough.  Enjoy your b-days ... and many more.

- - - - -

I was up for 25 hours yesterday flying back to the states with delays.  Thankfully, I changed planes in Chicago.  Those changing planes in New York and thereabouts most likely misconnected and may have even been stranded.  A friend who was coincidentally coming back from Europe on the same day was in fact stranded at New York - JFK.  She just got home within the last few hours.  

It feels good to be home even if feeling like a wet noodle.  Lots of interesting sightings ... and even some interesting car rentals.  

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 2

@Robert Hall @bobo @loki

Happy Birthday GIF

28 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Happy birthday to @bobo

There's a little bit of slush in the time zones, but close enough.  Enjoy your b-days ... and many more.

- - - - -

I was up for 25 hours yesterday flying back to the states with delays.  Thankfully, I changed planes in Chicago.  Those changing planes in New York and thereabouts most likely misconnected and may have even been stranded.  A friend who was coincidentally coming back from Europe on the same day was in fact stranded at New York - JFK.  She just got home within the last few hours.  

It feels good to be home even if feeling like a wet noodle.  Lots of interesting sightings ... and even some interesting car rentals.  

Thank you for letting me know about the birthdays, for some weird reason I no longer see them on the home page.

• Like 1

Thanks for the birthday wishes.   Today makes a week since we moved into the new house, the movers were pretty quick and efficient w/ the furniture last Thursday.   Been unpacking boxes, getting rooms around the house set up (my office is pretty well along), going to the old house in the evenings to clean out, etc.   Just exhausting...been relaxing in the hot tub in the evenings.   Going out for some good seafood Friday night for my birthday...will Uber downtown.     Looking forward to the 4 day weekend, more unboxing, working on cleaning up the old house, going to the Indy Car race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on Sunday.   Did do a fun thing the other evening--went and saw Santana in concert--had never seen Carlos play, he's great live. 

The June weather has been crazy...hot and dry at the start of the month, then lots of rain lately, and this week smoke and haze from the Canadian wildfires (I think Ontario is less than 50 miles from here across the lake).   Looking forward to July. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Happy birthday to @bobo

- - - - -

Happy birthday guys. Sorry I wasn’t around for the actual day. Been serving on the worst kind of jury duty possible, but it’s finally all done.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Two random thoughts that occurred to me tonight ...

We sit there and watch squirrels scurrying around, eating what they find, and standing up on their hind legs, but if they didn't have those bushy tails, we'd find them to be pests.

I bought some fuel tonight and threw away a wrapper into a trash bin.  I saw more than half that trash bin filled with plastic bottles.   Can't they just take them home and do a recycle each weekend?  Probably not.  Is that too much to ask to both beautify and make the world around us more sustainable?  Probably so.  I'd be insulted if someone called me liberal, but, while @David is passionate about our movement toward EVs, I've got some issues with people who think it's too much trouble to recycle.  There are recycling bins just about everywhere you go in Europe and even their versions of our rednecks - who definitely do not recycle - seem to do it over there.   

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Two random thoughts that occurred to me tonight ...

We sit there and watch squirrels scurrying around, eating what they find, and standing up on their hind legs, but if they didn't have those bushy tails, we'd find them to be pests.

I bought some fuel tonight and threw away a wrapper into a trash bin.  I saw more than half that trash bin filled with plastic bottles.   Can't they just take them home and do a recycle each weekend?  Probably not.  Is that too much to ask to both beautify and make the world around us more sustainable?  Probably so.  I'd be insulted if someone called me liberal, but, while @David is passionate about our movement toward EVs, I've got some issues with people who think it's too much trouble to recycle.  There are recycling bins just about everywhere you go in Europe and even their versions of our rednecks - who definitely do not recycle - seem to do it over there.   

1) Totally agree with you that Squirrels are Rodent Pests, hate them, they are not natural to the PNW and destroy more than they help especially when crazy old folks think they are cute and out out pounds of peanuts so they tear up the yard, garden and even block drains, gutters, etc. looking for places to store the nuts.

I have come to detest what I thought was a cute animal as a kid for the problems they cause at my house.

2) Agree as much as I want folks to move to EVs, I also am just dumbfounded by the laziness of folks here in North America that throw away so much plastic, aluminum cans and paper products that can be recycled. Worse yet is in Japan, Korea and Especially China and India, they use and throw away so much plastic, Styrofoam, aluminum and steel in the garbage. It amazes me how lacking we are in global recycling still. 

• Agree 1

Happy holiday weekend to most of North America:

Happy Canada Day (July 1) - and I drove the LaCrosse up to Toronto to visit friends - and Happy Independence Day, for which "I'll be back."

Enjoy and stay safe.

• Agree 2

Seems the Cyber truck could be delayed yet again to 2024.

Seems, braking. Suspension, weather sealing and more issues in leaked documents have many in the industry shocked at how bad Tesla is at the basics of auto engineering.

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-business/tesla-cybertruck-ev-delay-exposed-leaked-documents/

• Agree 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:37 PM, David said:

Seems Ford is taking a $9.2 Billion loan out backed by the GOV to build their Ford Blue EV campus and 3 battery plants.

Ford agrees to $9.2 billion US government loan | CNN Business

I wonder how this will work out for them...

20 hours ago, David said:

Seems the Cyber truck could be delayed yet again to 2024.

Seems, braking. Suspension, weather sealing and more issues in leaked documents have many in the industry shocked at how bad Tesla is at the basics of auto engineering.

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-business/tesla-cybertruck-ev-delay-exposed-leaked-documents/

Musk is one reason I wouldn't buy a Tesla. 

Some super stock racing....

He makes some valid points on the cost of consumables. 

Kind of been into drag racing and old MOPARs lately. 

• Agree 1

Someone sent me this earlier today ... thought I'd share

34xf9v.jpg

I wouldn't even want to imagine any other outcome:  accent, driving on the other side of the street, a royal family, high tea, bad teeth, and did I mention the accent ...

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

Good morning ...

vi4th54okws21.jpg?auto=webp&s=a24a03fcf6

From New Hampshire

EPqcDXL-300x236.jpg

From Virginia 

qrfq33issfq31.jpg

From Nevada, too

(2 of these 3 came from reddit images!)

- - - - -

A little OCD humor to start the weekend ...

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Good morning ...

vi4th54okws21.jpg?auto=webp&s=a24a03fcf6

From New Hampshire

EPqcDXL-300x236.jpg

From Virginia 

qrfq33issfq31.jpg

From Nevada, too

(2 of these 3 came from reddit images!)

- - - - -

A little OCD humor to start the weekend ...

Nothing wrong with Taco loving Taco! :P 

• Haha 2

I so agree with the various stories on Toyota battery break through should be taken with a grain of salt when they have been pushing Hydrogen and then all of a sudden have a major solid-state battery breakthrough! BS on Toyota.

Toyota's battery tech needs to be taken with a grain of salt (qz.com)

14 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Ok, fine,

5f16008bd1a3a.jpeg

but HARD PASS on this one.

Gotta have the Alpha side of every relationship.

Here is a good one!

Snag_7b307918.png

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 11:02 PM, David said:

I so agree with the various stories on Toyota battery break through should be taken with a grain of salt when they have been pushing Hydrogen and then all of a sudden have a major solid-state battery breakthrough! BS on Toyota.

Toyota's battery tech needs to be taken with a grain of salt (qz.com)

Gotta have the Alpha side of every relationship.

Here is a good one!

Snag_7b307918.png

Hey, most lesbians I know are cool folks, and I actually sort of Like Subarus...

https://www.copart.com/lot/54889943/2021-gmc-yukon-denali-ca-los-angeles

Anyone have any idea why this Yukon in seemingly perfect shape has a non rebuildable title?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Hey, most lesbians I know are cool folks, and I actually sort of Like Subarus...

Anyone have any idea why this Yukon in seemingly perfect shape has a non rebuildable title?

It's in Floriduh, so probably flood damaged.   

• Agree 1

For Drew...

https://www.copart.com/lot/58207983/clean-title-1970-oldsmobile-98-pa-pittsburgh-north

13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It's in Floriduh, so probably flood damaged.   

It's not listed as flood, but probably right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Looked up the VIN and yes, the auto was flooded and cleaned, at this point it is NOT worth $78K or even the minimum bid of $26K. Garbage unless you want a project to rip out all electrical and put in new on top of the motor, trans, diff needing to be gone through.

Report 1GKS2DKL3MR470885 GMC YUKON 2021 WHITE GAS - price and damage history (bidhistory.org)

12 minutes ago, David said:

Looked up the VIN and yes, the auto was flooded and cleaned, at this point it is NOT worth $78K or even the minimum bid of $26K. Garbage unless you want a project to rip out all electrical and put in new on top of the motor, trans, diff needing to be gone through.

Report 1GKS2DKL3MR470885 GMC YUKON 2021 WHITE GAS - price and damage history (bidhistory.org)

That makes perfect sense. I don't want to mess with any modern car with that kind of damage. The vintage stuff, like a 56 Chevy, yeah, you could fix flooded....modern stuff...no....

I really think a second gen Camaro will be a car I will regret not owning when I die. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

That makes perfect sense. I don't want to mess with any modern car with that kind of damage. The vintage stuff, like a 56 Chevy, yeah, you could fix flooded....modern stuff...no....

I really think a second gen Camaro will be a car I will regret not owning when I die. 

NO Regrets, Live your life to the fullest my friend. We all might miss out on a specific auto that we would have loved to own and drive, but no regrets on the life we have as there are always those with a worse life than us.

I would have loved to own a mid 80's Monte Carlo SS Aero in Burgundy, but not meant to be. Now I will move forward with EVs.

• Agree 1
  • Great Idea! 1

6 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I enjoyed owning one as a second car for a while.  Unfortunately, I bought it used and, even with only 34,000 miles, I think the previous owner did not break it in correctly or went the distance between oil changes.  It had a problem with valve seals and a drone in the rear differential or somewhere in the rear axle. I wanted to have a mechanic look at it, but my dad was his hasty self and wanted me to just buy the car, for which he put up some of the money.

The Camaro took a giant leap forward in 1974 (second generation - part B, I would guess) when they replaced the tiny circular taillamps with the wider ones that tapered as they turned into the rear fender AND brought on a slimmer canted back front grille.  Then, 1975 got even nicer with the wraparound backlite.  Camaro and Firebird are as Americana as it gets, and attractive, too.  I have a soft spot for them in purist stock form whereas the Mustang has truthfully never done much for me.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, David said:

NO Regrets, Live your life to the fullest my friend. We all might miss out on a specific auto that we would have loved to own and drive, but no regrets on the life we have as there are always those with a worse life than us.

Isn't this the truth?  Here I was, salivating at the thought of buying a new '98 Intrigue in the metallic slate blue color, sometimes even pawing them at night if I dropped by the Cadillac/Olds dealership in Bellevue!  In a mere 2 years, the announcement came that Olds would be discontinued.  On top of that, the Series II 3800 was the rendition of this great engine that had the cheap intake manifolds which some people caught before major damage set in.  

Well, I waited a long while and fared even better with the car I ultimately bought.

And, yes, we should be thankful for what we have.  I would have liked to have done this and that, but I really should not be complaining.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Isn't this the truth?  Here I was, salivating at the thought of buying a new '98 Intrigue in the metallic slate blue color, sometimes even pawing them at night if I dropped by the Cadillac/Olds dealership in Bellevue!  In a mere 2 years, the announcement came that Olds would be discontinued.  On top of that, the Series II 3800 was the rendition of this great engine that had the cheap intake manifolds which some people caught before major damage set in.  

Well, I waited a long while and fared even better with the car I ultimately bought.

And, yes, we should be thankful for what we have.  I would have liked to have done this and that, but I really should not be complaining.

I think as I get closer to the end...I realize that another 250 years of life would not be a bad thing...

Destroying a rust bucket F150 for "Science"

13 hours ago, David said:

Agreed. 

I guess since Camino and Balthazar no longer post here...someone needs to be the old car Guru of the site. 

Badass.