Random Thoughts Thread

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I've got a bunch of codes in my Microsoft Authenticator. It works well for me. I like the extra security.

I can totally understand the extra security, but when 2FA fails you are totally locked out and screwed and some times even the folks that are supposed to help you cannot. I tried 2FA with my google stuff on my Android phone and finally gave up after all the issues I had with google.

Update, I forgot that all my doctors have moved over to "My Chart" and that requires the use of 2FA. So I use it there, I just hope I never get locked out. Lucky the Samsung finger print software saves me from having to type passwords and I can get into all my doctors so far.

We mostly use Duo at work for 2FA (have to click an accept button on a phone app when logging in), though some of the 3rd party sites tied into the company SSO require a code sent via SMS or email.     Some days I think I have to do the Duo accept 20 times...

My doctors also use MyChart, usually works pretty well..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

This is a First for me to see, Consumer Reports is saying that Lincoln and Buick beat Toyota for the lowest cost of maintenance over a 5 year period.

2 American Brands Beat Toyota in 5-Year Maintenance Costs, New Data Shows (motorbiscuit.com)

@oldshurst442 @Drew Dowdell @surreal1272 @smk4565 @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY @trinacriabob @ccap41

@oldshurst442 @Drew Dowdell @surreal1272 @ccap41 @smk4565 @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY @trinacriabob

Interesting story, The Volkswagen ID.4 Just Beat 2 Tesla EVs (motorbiscuit.com)

In the first quarter of 2022, Volkswagen sold 2,755 ID.4 units. But in Q1 2023, it sold 9,758, for 254.2% growth. That’s far greater than two Tesla models.

The Tesla Model S sold fewer vehicles in Q1 2023 than in 2022. This year, it sold 4,849. It experienced a 6.6% drop from the same period in 2022, when the company sold 5,190 Model S EVs.

The Tesla Model X fared better, even though it also saw a decrease. In Q1 2022, it sold 6,488. That dropped by 0.4% in Q1 2023 to 6,465.

2 hours ago, David said:

@oldshurst442 @Drew Dowdell @surreal1272 @ccap41 @smk4565 @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY @trinacriabob

Interesting story, The Volkswagen ID.4 Just Beat 2 Tesla EVs (motorbiscuit.com)

In the first quarter of 2022, Volkswagen sold 2,755 ID.4 units. But in Q1 2023, it sold 9,758, for 254.2% growth. That’s far greater than two Tesla models.

The Tesla Model S sold fewer vehicles in Q1 2023 than in 2022. This year, it sold 4,849. It experienced a 6.6% drop from the same period in 2022, when the company sold 5,190 Model S EVs.

The Tesla Model X fared better, even though it also saw a decrease. In Q1 2022, it sold 6,488. That dropped by 0.4% in Q1 2023 to 6,465.

Pretty silly comparison..

When is it ever a surprise a vehicle half the price of another outsells it? 

The one Tesla that would be surprising the ID.4 could outsell would be the Model Y and I bet it's not even in the same ballpark as the Model Y in sales. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, David said:

This is a First for me to see, Consumer Reports is saying that Lincoln and Buick beat Toyota for the lowest cost of maintenance over a 5 year period.

2 American Brands Beat Toyota in 5-Year Maintenance Costs, New Data Shows (motorbiscuit.com)

@oldshurst442 @Drew Dowdell @surreal1272 @smk4565 @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY @trinacriabob @ccap41

Yet Toyota wins in 6-10 year maintenance costs and if you factor in resale value, you will take an absolute bath buying a Lincoln or Buick vs a Toyota.  

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Yet Toyota wins in 6-10 year maintenance costs and if you factor in resale value, you will take an absolute bath buying a Lincoln or Buick vs a Toyota.  

That is not what the actual charts as saying for Toyota Maintenance.

image.png

32 minutes ago, David said:

That is not what the actual charts as saying for Toyota Maintenance.

image.png

According to Caredge, Buick and Lincoln cost more to maintain.

Screenshot2023-05-12at10_04_31PM.thumb.png.8a0a3a82f831b9675425fe460a6ddcc0.png

Screenshot2023-05-12at10_06_03PM.thumb.png.4770e4c4ae9c199fcc8916c1738ed76a.png

And the gold standard for long term maintenance cost is of course Tesla.  Which is just one more reason the mass market brands are screwed, they can't beat Tesla in anything, when Tesla is fully scaled and priced against them, it is game over. 

Screenshot2023-05-12at10_05_01PM.thumb.png.ecdabc6eb3b8d0ff50ea50d06ef72b84.png

Tesla just raised prices on everything but the 3. This is sure not a reason to buy Tesla when they pull this crap.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/05/12/tesla-owners-sue-say-software-updates-cut-range-by-20-break-batteries/

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

When going on a long trip, pack two extra cylinders… just in case.

7548DD88-DC04-4BBE-B8B0-BA90673F2EB8.jpeg

Nothing like that extra stopping power on the front Wheel. I can see you race up, slam on the front break, pop up the back wheel spin 180 and race the other direction again. :D

3 hours ago, David said:

Nothing like that extra stopping power on the front Wheel. I can see you race up, slam on the front break, pop up the back wheel spin 180 and race the other direction again. :D

You have some extraordinary ideas of what my riding capabilities are! Lol

• Haha 2

Happy Mother's Day to significant others in your lives who are mothers, your own mothers, relatives and friends who are mothers, and even the few members we've had over the years who are mothers - I think we've had a rare few.

• Agree 1

On 5/13/2023 at 3:00 PM, Robert Hall said:

Bought a hot tub today for the backyard at the new house, figure it will be very enjoyable year round to relax in...

344289412_623776082732760_5059502367590510663_n.jpg

Robert, is this one of those tubs that uses salt to chlorinate itself or is it a traditional chlorine system that you can use a shock treatment on to keep it PH balanced? I see in the picture it uses fresh water?

Does it have a warm towel drawer?

Are you going to put a cover up over it to keep it out of the snow?

Very excited for you and your sister as it will really help to relax the body and replenish it. I feel these are a must have for everyone as you hit 50 and older.

@oldshurst442 @surreal1272 @ccap41 @Drew Dowdell @smk4565 @trinacriabob @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY @regfootball

Just saw the stories popping up on this. Seems RAM is going to compete in the small Unibody Ford Maverick market with a Rampage truck.

Seems that this is codeveloped between Ram North America and Ram Brazil as a Global mini pickup truck.

Ram Rampage Teaser Shows Off Upcoming Compact Pickup (musclecarsandtrucks.com)

Very random thought:

a college friend once remarked how much people saying "he's good people" or "she's good people" torqued him.  It is becoming less and less commonly heard.  Come to think of it, everyone I've heard say it is, at the very least, borderline white trash.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Very random thought:

a college friend once remarked how much people saying "he's good people" or "she's good people" torqued him.  It is becoming less and less commonly heard.  Come to think of it, everyone I've heard say it is, at the very least, borderline white trash.

I have a family member that grew up in the south and while Hubie is a hard worker and no doubt loves his wife, his lack of education shows up as he never finished high school. He uses those terms all the time and while his wife tries to gently correct him, he always questions why as in his mind it a compliment to any man or woman he thinks is good. 

A very different way of thinking, communicating and it is thankfully going away as the generations change and more people better themselves through education. 

Course with that said, I find it interesting that Florida thinks they can tell schools how to spend their federal funding. I have a small worry that we will see a very diverse split in education between conservative states and more liberal states. 

• Great Idea! 1

10 hours ago, David said:

I have a family member that grew up in the south and while Hubie is a hard worker and no doubt loves his wife, his lack of education shows up as he never finished high school. He uses those terms all the time and while his wife tries to gently correct him, he always questions why as in his mind it a compliment to any man or woman he thinks is good. 

A very different way of thinking, communicating and it is thankfully going away as the generations change and more people better themselves through education. 

Course with that said, I find it interesting that Florida thinks they can tell schools how to spend their federal funding. I have a small worry that we will see a very diverse split in education between conservative states and more liberal states. 

I suspect that this is already happening.  It happened with education standards years ago.

• Agree 1

@trinacriabob

22 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Come to think of it, everyone I've heard say it is, at the very least, borderline white trash.

10 hours ago, David said:

his lack of education shows up as he never finished high school. He uses those terms all the time and while his wife tries to gently correct him, he always questions why as in his mind it a compliment to any man or woman he thinks is good. 

A very different way of thinking, communicating and it is thankfully going away as the generations change and more people better themselves through education

All the bolded parts...

I got an opinion on this. It might not be a pretty opinion. Nor a popular one. But I have to say it. 

There is a culture in the US that praises being dumb.  There is a culture in the US that frowns upon being smart.  Both are not the same but both are being worshipped.  And this culture has been cultivated for decades now.  DECADES with an 's'.   I dont know how or when it started but I do know that some '80s movies hinted at that.  PLENTY of 90s TV shows and movies DEFINETELY pointed us to that kind of culture of hating smart people and worshipping stupid.   Shows like Beavus and Butthead.  The Jackass movies although those came at the tail end of the 1990s are prime examples but NOT the only ones.  There are MANY MANY more.   We could chalk it up to comedy, but when we do chalk it up to comedy, we fail to see the sinister side of it. 

You see, I do not think it will get any better. It will get worse. A lot worse.  And it does not matter what political spectrum you fall on.  Red or blue.   The dummying down of our society grows every year and both the left and right side of the political spectrum is more than happy to contribute to that.

And its not just the white trash.  Its the black folk as well.   Beavus and butthead covers the white trash pop culture but plenty of shytty rap music that focuses on black people's lack of education sure exists.  Remember the debacle in the 90s of some black higher ups wanting to promote ebonics as a legit English way of speaking for black people and it was to be taught in schools for black people?   Ebonics also being the primary way of rapping in the aforementioned rap music...   From celebrating gang culture and violence to letting politicians become fascists and suing teachers for showing a Disney movie because there is a gay character in the movie/cartoon and banning books and us letting them do that because we have become sooooooo stupid ourselves that we do not know what to do anymore but we are proud of the stupid decisions we allow our politicians to make and are even prouder of our own moronic behaviour. 

We celebrate stupid and denounce smart every chance we get in North America.  For political gain and for comedy.  And the citizens just soak all that up and willingly follow.    From the Kardashians and Lizzo.  

From thinking that we will colonize Mars...   No water or oxygen on the planet Mars, but NOBODY questions Elon on HOW the phoque we will colonize Mars.   And I mean NOBODY questions him....   Not ONE son of a 2-itch has asked him how in the Lord's good name are we going to survive up there?  

From thoughts and prayers when public shootings happen and dont demand anything more... 

From fighting with ourselves for the stupidest of things..like NOT listening to doctors and scientists and making a mockery of them but listening to some stupid  unknown clowns on the internet suggesting LETHAL  recommendations and we listen to those clowns instead.   

From having a bold face lie EXPOSED but be toooooo phoquing proud to admit being fooled.  The kicker... believing bold faced lies decades prior from KNOWN liars  because toooooo  proud being politically and religiously attached and now to try to fix prior bamboozlements rather than admit being stupid DOUBLE-ING DOWN ON STUPID BEING PROUD OF BEING STUPID and believing other bold faced lies.    And yet....WILLINGLY not wanting to get smarter but wanting to stay dumb.  Afraid of being smarter.  But openly being dumb.    And THAT includes the political divisiveness.  The economical mess we have of no jobs and the middle class almost gone from North America to even  electric car adoption that is full of FUD.  And both the so called left and right are   equally responsible for that.  And us North American citizens are to blame for letting it get this bad BECAUSE we have allowed ourselves to hate wanting to be smart and be content and proud to be stupid.

Oh yeah...I got another example

Our judges allowing frivolous lawsuits to happen and awarding DUMB behaviour.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/mcdonalds-found-liable-for-hot-chicken-mcnugget-that-burned-girl

McDonald's is liable for McNugget being too hot because DUMB phoquing mothert gave her 4 year old a scorching hot nugget that fell on the child's thigh in the drive through scalding the poor child.  Personal responsibilty OUT THE WINDOW!!!      

Like I said...dummying down of our society...  

• Agree 2

I didnt mean Lizzo.    I hardly know of her songs and especially the lyrics of her songs.  

I meant Latto.   With her Big Energy song.  Listen to the lyrics and you'll realize right away where Im going with the above rant.  The tune is just a cover of a Mariah Carrey song which in turn is a cover of an '80s song.  Its the lyrics. Nicki Minaj too. 

Their lyrics and more specifically, the English used is uneducated.  I am not talking about the vulgarity.  I am specifially talking about the uneducated English used.    Plenty of rap songs that do that.  That is with Black culture.  With White culture, its another type uneducated English used.   And ordinary citizens on the streets emulate the verbage.  But...listen to older pop culture Americana and the English used, whether from Black folk OR White folk and you will see a MAJOR difference in verbage and syntax.   Listen to people on the streets, average joe folk and you will fast realize that there is something amiss.     I am not EVEN going to address politician speech from the last decade.   But listen to President John F. Kennedy or Winston Churchill or Pierre E. Trudeau and then listen to the way politicians speak today, the last 10-15 years in either country, Canada, US or UK, yes UK and see what a phoquing different world we live in today.    

Our standards have greatly been reduced.  Our society only seems too happy to engage in Tik Tok.  Before that it was finding Pokeman and getting killed by cars because we didnt look where we were walking and crossed in front of incoming traffic.  Pokeman was NOT that long ago.  

End of rant.   I promise! 

@oldshurst442 I totally get the point your making as it is sad that Newpapers were being written at a 7th grade level in the 70's and since then they have written them for even lower education levels.

We have the 80's Movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - IMDb that celebrated skipping school and being dumb and causing havoc. We have black rappers using the N word at each other and if anyone else uses it we are then racist. Where is the so-called royalty of the black music world that should be correcting this trashing of rap music? The only one that I ever hear say anything was Will Smith who in an interview said his grandma would spank him when he used profanity and racist words and she made him promise to never use those words in his music and to better himself. We need more people thinking like this.

Same with movies/TV shows that as you say celebrate the betterment of humanity than the ignorance. The trailers alone for Jackass movies turned me off and I have never watched them as well as the Beavis and Butthead shows. I will give credit where credit is due and that is to SouthPark where the writers have actually attempted to deliver key messages in simple terms as well as make it lite for humor. Not all of the shows succeeded but somewhere very good. Another show of stupidity is The Simpsons. Sad TV for sure.

Overall, we should be celebrating the education of society and not the stupidity dumming down of it.

On 5/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, David said:

Robert, is this one of those tubs that uses salt to chlorinate itself or is it a traditional chlorine system that you can use a shock treatment on to keep it PH balanced? I see in the picture it uses fresh water?

Does it have a warm towel drawer?

Are you going to put a cover up over it to keep it out of the snow?

Very excited for you and your sister as it will really help to relax the body and replenish it. I feel these are a must have for everyone as you hit 50 and older.

It uses salt... 10x10, room for 7, so should be comfortable for two.  Will have a folding cover.   USB stereo system.  43 adjustable jets.  Back massage.  We thought about getting a swim spa, but realized a traditional hot tub will be way more useful for aches and pains.  My sister w/ her arthritis and my hips and knees will benefit from this more than a pool right now...though we have plenty of room for a pool later. 

Getting a 12 x 12 slab put in the yard to install it on, connected to the back patio, have some landscaping ideas for improving the yard over time.   Will be a really nice place to spend time..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

It uses salt... 10x10, room for 7, so should be comfortable for two.  Will have a folding cover.   USB stereo system.  43 adjustable jets.  Back massage.  We thought about getting a swim spa, but realized a traditional hot tub will be way more useful for aches and pains.  My sister w/ her arthritis and my hips and knees will benefit from this more than a pool right now...though we have plenty of room for a pool later. 

Getting a 12 x 12 slab put in the yard to install it on, connected to the back patio, have some landscaping ideas for improving the yard over time.   Will be a really nice place to spend time..

Thank you for the updated info. Sounds awesome, totally agree with you on the arthritis, knees and hips for comfort. Should be a welcome addition to life for you and your sister. Going to put a cover over the Jacuzzi or let the snow pile up and clear it before getting in?

image.png

7 minutes ago, David said:

Thank you for the updated info. Sounds awesome, totally agree with you on the arthritis, knees and hips for comfort. Should be a welcome addition to life for you and your sister. Going to put a cover over the Jacuzzi or let the snow pile up and clear it before getting in?

image.png

I was looking at those automated covers..they are pretty slick in operation.  Going with a manual cover that works like a convertible top and folds back.  Want it open to the sky for starry nights...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:D Course can always go with the basic Gazebo Cover over your Hot Tub and pad.

Snag_2ac0bf97.png

@Robert Hall In that case then, there is always the Gazebos with a clear roof or I see these covers are pretty cool.

image.png

Just thinking you get more snow then me so it might be nice to not have to deal with snow removal on the cover.

@Robert Hall Found this site as I am researching for myself a hot tub with cover and a fire pit area as my son's family and grandkids love to hang out and make smore's. Like many ideas from here.

22 Hot Tub Privacy Ideas for Every Budget (freshpatio.com)

I am really liking these sunroom style hottub enclosures so you can see the sky and also cut wind and snow from the tub.

Retractable hot tub enclosure Oasis | sunrooms-enclosures.com

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 10:18 AM, David said:

image.png

Sex sells.

On 5/18/2023 at 10:28 AM, David said:

image.png

Did you hear me?  Sex sells.

- - - - -

I'm just kidding. 

Enjoy.  Every home in a northerly latitude needs one of those in the back yard.

• Haha 1

I'm saddened by what I just read.  It was reported that Tina Turner passed away today.  I didn't know she had been sick. 

She was unstoppable.  I thought she'd have a good many more years left.  I was hoping she'd keep going and enjoy her later years living outside of Zurich, Switzerland.

Many good songs on the album of the same name launching her new solo career, but the title cut up above is its best song, IMHO.

What a comeback story!  RIP Tina.

• Sad 3

My second favorite Tina song ... also the title cut from a subsequent album:

With respect to female vocalists, Tina seemingly owned the '80s and Donna Summer seemingly owned the '70s.  The types of music were different, albeit both popular and mainstream, but it's the vocal horsepower that is unforgettable.

• Agree 1

Per the birthday news, today's is an interesting one!

It's the birthday of Charger4U.  It's also his big 3-0.

He joined us when he was just a teenager and had the kind of moxie where he could hold his own with the adults (chronologically, at least) on C&G.  His parents had moved their family from SoCal to a small town in South Dakota, IIRC, like a lot of people were doing and have been doing by moving to other less populated and quieter states in the West ... my parents included.   

He had a high level of intelligence and high ambitions.  I hope he's having a great birthday, wherever he may be, and wish him every success.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@trinacriabob

I appreciate your thoughts and your insights not only on car and travel related topics, but also on the human side.  You seem to remember many folk on this site and you make sure that we all take the time to acknowledge each other's contributions on the human level.     

Thank-you!  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Lightbulb-idea GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Drinkable tzatziki!!! 

Tzatziki is perfect the way it is.  Also, I can't believe how many different incorrect ways tzatziki is spelled by both restaurants and people here.  I believe the same happens with pastitzio.  That's how I spell it.  I've seen it spelled pastichio. 

- - - - -

I was doing some errands and passed by a Honda dealer.  After renting a regular Accord, I was given an Accord Hybrid at another rental shortly after that.  I wanted to see how much they cost.

The Hybrid MSRP was about $32,500 (USD).  The regular Accord, possibly not the base, was about $30,000, with a urethane (?) steering wheel.  Both had sunroofs!  I thought the spread would be much more.  This spread makes the hybrid worth considering and it could pay for itself over a long ownership period.  It sips fuel.  However, I didn't mention the additional mark-up, on all types of Accords:  $2,995.

I went over and looked at some Civics.  These are now baby Accords.  The rear light bar now looks great and its front end looks like a big pug compared to the Accord.  This was a Sport edition but it had an MSRP of about $28,000.  That's not a big savings from a new base Accord.  The nice thing is that it runs with a 2.0 L and NO turbocharger.  The additional mark-up on Civics was $1,995.

This study has some valid thoughts, but is wrong saying it applies to the whole nation. Being a California influenced study, yes in southern states it makes sense to probably recharge during the day. PNW it does not as hydro and wind is the big power source and here power consumption during the day is higher than at night.

https://www.thebrighterside.news/post/stanford-study-warns-against-overnight-charging-of-electric-cars-at-home

Unless everyone is redeeming miles or being comped, those sitting at the front of the aircraft (business, first, similar) more than pay for the fuel used for a flight.

Good read: https://moparinsiders.com/dodge-charger-daytona-srt-banshee-continues-to-push-forward/

Also released by Chevrolet, the ZR2 Bison 🦬 extreme off-road truck.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/colorado-zr2/2024.html

New standard safety for GM EVs.

https://pressroom.gm.com/gmbx/us/en/pressroom/home/news.detail.html/Pages/news/us/en/2023/may/0531-safety.html

SRT Banshee is refined and being shown to the public again.

• Thanks 1

@oldshurst442 @ccap41 @surreal1272 @trinacriabob @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY @Drew Dowdell 

Seems Hyundai has decided to move forward with the 2 door Pony car concept as an actual street car.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/hyundai-n-vision-74-is-go-for-launch-report/

https://news.mt.co.kr/mtview.php?no=2023050808323469185

Seems facial recognition is a go for Genesis EVs plus much more tech for security and more.

https://electrek.co/2023/05/31/genesis-brings-facial-recognition-cool-new-features-evs/

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, David said:

Good read: https://moparinsiders.com/dodge-charger-daytona-srt-banshee-continues-to-push-forward/

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/colorado-zr2/2024.html

New standard safety for GM EVs.

https://pressroom.gm.com/gmbx/us/en/pressroom/home/news.detail.html/Pages/news/us/en/2023/may/0531-safety.html

SRT Banshee is refined and being shown to the public again.

I'm mixed on this car.

The styling is a little too derivative.  I am not crazy about the square retro front.  I do like the rear light bar ... the way they've sort of layered it in there.  The greenhouse is really weird when seen from the side.  Is this meant to be a coupe with ready access to the rear seats?  I want coupes to look like coupes.

June 2

National Donut Day

donut_lead.jpg?t=1581611120&width=1080

At some places, they'll give you one for free.  At some places, it requires a purchase.  So, if at Dunkin' and you bought a cup of coffee,  I believe they wouldn't lose much money on this and that it could possibly even yield some profit. 

They should all just give you one free f***in' donut.  But they're probably worried about a select few folks who may keep coming back and/or going to different stores (LOL).

• Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

On 5/31/2023 at 2:17 PM, David said:

Bison is a relevant thing and word these days.  People like to take selfies with them in very close proximity.

• Agree 2