Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

17 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

78 Olds wagon. None of these rides is worth repairing, but cool to see old iron get crushed once in awhile. That wagon in good shape would be a lot of fun. 

Hurts watching this Buick get crushed. 

Thanks, nothing like a good crunch recycle series. :P 

• Oh Yeah! 1

41 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Old house went on the market this past Tuesday (22nd) and by Thursday the 24th  had 3 offers, incl. one for $30k over listing.  It's sold.  Closing will be in mid September.   Happy happy joy joy... :)

Oldshurst: saying this under my breath in hush hush style in amazement, shock and with a twinkle in my eye     "30 thousand big ones???!!!" 

Freeform on X: "He's got the sleazy car salesman look down. Tune in now for  #Matilda, EST/CST. https://t.co/VMCA5XU9kf" / X

Oldshurst to Robert:  "Hey...come here!!!"  

How to Avoid Used Car Scams

Robert:  Looking at my direction with a hand gesture of the index finger pointing at himself

What Me GIFs | Tenor

Oldshurst:   "Yeah you!  COME HERE!!!!   

Shady Salesman Meme Generator - Imgflip

"You look like an intelligent young man!!!    I've got a proposition for you.  A once in a lifetime business offer!!!"

Car Salesman GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/12/2023 at 3:14 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

Why I will probably never own a Tesla. 

Oh, yes.

I will not be owning one. I learned that firsthand!

And, even though I don't like these two characters, it has nothing to do with them.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

14 minutes ago, David said:

@oldshurst442 So you have no restaurant now due to the partner. Has the wife gone bonkers with you being home and wants you to get another place or job? What are you doing?

I dont want to discuss the reasons of me selling.  Too painful, still.   My ex-partner is no longer with us.  By choice...

Im on vacation.  I took about a month off.  Ive got another couple of weeks.   I got another job lined up.   It wont be paying me as much...obviously.  Its still income.   I dont want to discuss where just yet as the job aint secure yet.  Ive got to prove my worth...   Its in management.  So its a decent paying job. I wont get my hands dirty anymore.  More slowpaced.   Im still a boss.  But not THE boss.   

My wife also has gone back to work.  She started today.  We have to compensate in the income.  (cash flow).   She, the last 3 years, she wasnt totally a stay at home wife.  She needed and wanted to get out of the house.  She has a bachelor's degree in finance and in special education.  Before we met, she was quite the intelligent young lady.  I made her drop of few IQ points. LOL.   Anyway, 3-4 years ago, she started working at a primary school nearby our home helping out teachers with special needs children.  A few hours a day.  Well, with the advent of me selling the restaurant so fast, she asked if she could have a more fulltime position and the school agreed.  She is very much needed. Actually, they kept on asking her for more availability...

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I dont want to discuss the reasons of me selling.  Too painful, still.   My ex-partner is no longer with us.  By choice...

Im on vacation.  I took about a month off.  Ive got another couple of weeks.   I got another job lined up.   It wont be paying me as much...obviously.  Its still income.   I dont want to discuss where just yet as the job aint secure yet.  Ive got to prove my worth...   Its in management.  So its a decent paying job. I wont get my hands dirty anymore.  More slowpaced.   Im still a boss.  But not THE boss.   

My wife also has gone back to work.  She started today.  We have to compensate in the income.  (cash flow).   She, the last 3 years, she wasnt totally a stay at home wife.  She needed and wanted to get out of the house.  She has a bachelor's degree in finance and in special education.  Before we met, she was quite the intelligent young lady.  I made her drop of few IQ points. LOL.   Anyway, 3-4 years ago, she started working at a primary school nearby our home helping out teachers with special needs children.  A few hours a day.  Well, with the advent of me selling the restaurant so fast, she asked if she could have a more fulltime position and the school agreed.  She is very much needed. Actually, they kept on asking her for more availability...

I understand, like Drew said, sorry for the bumpy transition. Wishing you all the best for your new career.

Glad to have you back posting and chatting with us.

• Like 1

Seems EVs did not start the Ship Fire.

EVs May Not Have Caused Fremantle Highway Fire After All | Carscoops

@oldshurst442 I know we touched on this in one of our threads here, but seems it was either an ICE issue or actual Ship issue that started the fire. All 500 EVs on board are still in sellable shape once they get the lower levels unloaded.

• Thanks 1

@oldshurst442 @ccap41 @trinacriabob @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY knowing you guys love your cars thought you would like this press release as this Alfa is back as an EV and ICE.

Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale: daring to dream | Alfa Romeo | Stellantis

2024-Alfa-Romeo-33-Stradale-13-2048x1452.webp

There is a good story here with comparison of the new version to the original.

New Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale: Stunning Flagship Pays Tribute To Alfa’s Original Supercar | Carscoops

Alfa-Romeo-33-Stradale-1967-6-Copy-2048x1366.webp

Have to be honest that this is the only Alfa I have ever liked when I was a kid and have to say they NAILED it in a Modern 21st Century version above.

Posted in the Escalade IQ thread, but also deserves to be here:

https://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/topic/97340-cadillac-news-cadillac-electrifies-an-icon-with-the-cadillac-escalade-iq/?do=findComment&comment=921532

• Like 1
  • Educational 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Seems EVs did not start the Ship Fire.

EVs May Not Have Caused Fremantle Highway Fire After All | Carscoops

@oldshurst442 I know we touched on this in one of our threads here, but seems it was either an ICE issue or actual Ship issue that started the fire. All 500 EVs on board are still in sellable shape once they get the lower levels unloaded.

In all honesty.  I hope that it is the case that the fire was NOT from an EV.  

I am almost 'there' in the TOTAL  acceptance THAT THE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE AND THE VEHICLES THAT ARE POWERED BY THEM to be relegated to the history books. 

I am not quite 'there' in actually buyng an EV just yet, though.  Especially now that my gravy train has  made its final stop...  EVs are just a tad out of reach for me, now.  The Mach E was seriously in the forefront of me buying one in the next 2-3 years.    But that notion was quashed as I have another annoucement to make when the time comes...   

News of products of not so in the distant future such as the Ultium Vehicle to Home tech, or Tesla's now veteran Powerwall system and other systems that WILL be coming online soon enough where a battery pack could be installed in the home, recharged either from the grid or by  other external natural means such as (better/newer tech-ed) solar panels to facilitate V2H, V2L, V2G.   

Its exciting,   Maybe not as glamorous as say a dawn to a new musclecar era, but it sure will change our ways of living.   

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

In all honesty.  I hope that it is the case that the fire was NOT from an EV.  

I am almost 'there' in the TOTAL  acceptance THAT THE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE AND THE VEHICLES THAT ARE POWERED BY THEM to be relegated to the history books. 

I am not quite 'there' in actually buyng an EV just yet, though.  Especially now that my gravy train has  made its final stop...  EVs are just a tad out of reach for me, now.  The Mach E was seriously in the forefront of me buying one in the next 2-3 years.    But that notion was quashed as I have another annoucement to make when the time comes...   

News of products of not so in the distant future such as the Ultium Vehicle to Home tech, or Tesla's now veteran Powerwall system and other systems that WILL be coming online soon enough where a battery pack could be installed in the home, recharged either from the grid or by  other external natural means such as (better/newer tech-ed) solar panels to facilitate V2H, V2L, V2G.   

Its exciting,   Maybe not as glamorous as say a dawn to a new musclecar era, but it sure will change our ways of living.   

I get it but as I have posted with the ATP of trucks, it is hard to say that the Mach-e, Tesla Y or 3 or even the Chevrolet Blazer SS are excessive in price. I honestly hope that the auto companies realize that loaded entry level EVs are still needed.

I can so see a NEW MUSCLE CAR ERA coming with what Dodge is doing, Ford and GM have rumors about doing. So I can see a new EV Muscle Car ERA coming.

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I'm EV-curious, not ready to buy one though.   Not sure what or when my next vehicle purchase happens..   a couple different possibilities... 

Unless you really need to replace an auto, I hate to say it but I would tell anyone asking me to hold off as with Solid State batteries expecting to become standard in EVs by 2025, I expect a major tech advancement in EVs that make todays EVs while they are good, about to go old like a Horse and Buggy.

7 hours ago, David said:

Unless you really need to replace an auto, I hate to say it but I would tell anyone asking me to hold off as with Solid State batteries expecting to become standard in EVs by 2025, I expect a major tech advancement in EVs that make todays EVs while they are good, about to go old like a Horse and Buggy.

The EV technology is changing so fast, it seems prudent to lease as what is new today will be obsolete or dated soon...

As far as my next vehicle, it will either a replacement for my '14 Jeep or a luxury sedan to supplement it.   I don't really need a new vehicle anytime soon, though...Jeep only has 76k and is running fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The EV technology is changing so fast, it seems prudent to lease as what is new today will be obsolete or dated soon...

As far as my next vehicle, it will either a replacement for my '14 Jeep or a luxury sedan to supplement it.   I don't really need a new vehicle anytime soon, though...Jeep only has 76k and is running fine. 

Same here, while I would like a new auto, my 2006 Escalade and 2008 SS are running fine. I might get a new head unit in the Escalade as the wife has been saying that when she drives it, she misses plugging in her phone and having it all on the screen like the SS she normally drives. Thinking of the Kenwood Excelon Reference head unit.

DMX1037S | Navigation and Multimedia | Car Audio | Car Entertainment | KENWOOD USA

• Like 1

I wanna know who's generation likes and WANTS this kind of shyte and gets entertained by it???!!!

It cant be the phoquing boomers???

Is it MY gen.  The Gen Xers???!!!

Its cant be the millennials or the  Z gen.   These things are waaaaaaaaay too expensive for them...    At least this what the  popular word on the street is.   This is what we are led to believe that most of them whine that there are no jobs and its tough for them to buy shyte.  Shyte like houses...   It might as well BE them that ask for this idiocy as I also heard these phoquers dont want to drive...they like their phoquing phones better!!!!

Let me explain:

I went to the Ford dealership a couple of days ago to set yet another appointment for yet *SIGH* another recall on the Fusion...

double *SIGH*  

This is when I jumped into a Bronco that was in the showroom floor.

To my horror...and reaction:

What The Fuck Gif - GIFcen

When I saw what greeted me when I sat down...where the SPEEDOMETER IS SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

2022 Ford Bronco vs. 2023 Land Rover Defender Comparison

Is this what has become of our society?   That we need phoquing pictures and photograghs on little screens?  Who the phoque decided that a picture where the speedometer is supposed to be is such a great idea that will entertain us when we...drive?   Are we phoquing little children that we need this shyte?   

As a welcome when we get into our car?   The Fusion has this Ford start up thing going on.

I guess expensive cars greet you by name.  If memory serves me right, Tesla does it...   I repeat...are we children???!!! 

I HATE IT!!!!

I dont want ANY pictures of wild horses on the big screen and I dont want pictures of rivers where the phoquing speedometer is supposed to be.   I just want a phoquing speedometer, a tach at the most.  Little idiot lights could be on a TV screen.  Any of that could be on a TV screen.  I want REAL phoquing buttons to change the temp and radio station in my car.   I dont want all the other little shyte that we have today.   I just want to DRIVE the phoquing thing.   I dont want anything else...

Is THIS the reason why cars go up in price?

For unnecessary bullshyte like that???!!!

Please make it go away? 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2
  • Educational 1

21 hours ago, David said:

@oldshurst442 @ccap41 @trinacriabob @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY knowing you guys love your cars thought you would like this press release as this Alfa is back as an EV and ICE.

Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale: daring to dream | Alfa Romeo | Stellantis

2024-Alfa-Romeo-33-Stradale-13-2048x1452.webp

There is a good story here with comparison of the new version to the original.

New Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale: Stunning Flagship Pays Tribute To Alfa’s Original Supercar | Carscoops

Alfa-Romeo-33-Stradale-1967-6-Copy-2048x1366.webp

Have to be honest that this is the only Alfa I have ever liked when I was a kid and have to say they NAILED it in a Modern 21st Century version above.

I was thinking...

Maserati et Alfa Romeo: rappel aux USA

Since all those three above are on the same platform, and used the same V8...which Ferrari lent them...

And since Dodge is also part of Stellantis, being corporate brothers with Alfa...

Maybe Dodge could use that platorm as well, and share the EV powertrain to make a new Viper.Squint a little and from this angle, a Viper could be seen.  You could tell the front fenders are slithery.  Not much work need there.  The roof top could  be  worked to be more snakey.

Good grief! The limited-run Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale is utterly gorgeous |  Top Gear

2017 Dodge Viper: Review, Trims, Specs, Price, New Interior Features,  Exterior Design, and Specifications | CarBuzz

The back end is just as slithery. 

New Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale supercar unveiled with petrol and electric power  - Drive

The wing of the Vipers could work well with the top rear of the Alfa.   Just the lights need to be worked on to have some of the Viper's DNA.  

2009 Dodge Viper Exterior Photos | CarBuzz

Original Viper GTS and the body work almost has an Italian flair to it.  

This 17-mile 1997 Viper GTS just set an auction record for second-gens -  Hagerty Media

Which translated to the last Viper as well.  

But Dodge could ditch the scissor style doors. 

Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale Debuts With 620 HP And Even More Potent EV Version

Not the first time would it be for Dodge and Alfa become brothers 

The TZ3 Stradale was a Viper underneath.

Dodge Viper as Alfa Romeo TZ3 Stradale Zagato conversion

I Weirdly Don't Love This Alfa Romeo/Zagato/Dodge Viper Bastard Car As Much  As I Should

An ev revival to the Viper is necessary I think! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I LOVE Phil Kessel!!! 

The Toronto Maple Leafs, the fans and the media made fun of him, something or tother about hot dogs... ran him out of town but the man...WON 3 STANLEY CUPS!!!  HE..is the NHL record holder AND leader for the ironman streak that is STILL going on today! 

The Bruins fans...in Boston, and me just a little admittedly, used to chant "Thank-You Kessel" whenever he stepped on the ice...because well...Boston got the #2 pick because of him leaving for Toronto. But that #2 pick aint in Boston. Hadnt been IN Boston for a damn while. Only helped us get 1 Cup.  Never got another Cup and got chased out of Boston.   

Kessel...has TWO Cups with Pittsburgh and ONE with Vegas.  

I LOVE PHIL KESSEL!!! 

I would have LOVED to see a Boston Bruins team with these fellas on it at the same time:  

Phil Kessel

Taylor Hall

Marc Savard

In addition to:

Patrice Bergeron

Brad Marchand

David Krejci

Milan Lucic

David Pastrnak 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, NINETY EIGHT REGENCY said:

I find some of the autos on the most stolen crazy and yet they are there due to the thefts. Glad none of my autos are on the list.

10 hours ago, David said:

I find some of the autos on the most stolen crazy and yet they are there due to the thefts. Glad none of my autos are on the list.

Kias are the most common stolen cars here..there has been a phenomenon this summer the local press has labeled 'Kia Kids' where mindless hooligans steal Kias and wreak havoc around the Cleveland area..

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Educational 1

38 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Kias are the most common stolen cars here..there has been a phenomenon this summer the local press has labeled 'Kia Kids' where mindless hooligans steal Kias and wreak havoc around the Cleveland area..

Same here in the STL area. I think Either STL or the state of Missouri was filing a lawsuit with Kia/Hyundai over this. I have no clue where that lawsuit has gone though. 

• Educational 1

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Same here in the STL area. I think Either STL or the state of Missouri was filing a lawsuit with Kia/Hyundai over this. I have no clue where that lawsuit has gone though. 

Seems it was settled for $200 million to the states and undetermined at this time software/hardware updates.

Hyundai, Kia agree to $200 million settlement with customers over car thefts (nbcnews.com)

Now I see a judge has declined the settlement as it is unfair to the owners of the autos.

Judge Declines to Approve Hyundai/Kia Class Action Settlement, Noting Weak Proposed Remedies (usnews.com)

Major OUCH: 

QUOTE - letter, the attorneys general of six states and the District of Columbia urged Judge Selna to require automakers to install antitheft technology known as engine immobilizers in all theft-prone Hyundai and Kia vehicles, possibly in combination with a vehicle buyback program, in place of the update and cash payments.

• Educational 1

I could not believe anything on this new refreshed Tesla 3, especially the driving range.

New Tesla Model 3 Debuts: Chiseled Design, 421-Mile Estimated Range (insideevs.com)

Tesla has a ton to do to earn trust on their actual facts about their EVs.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, David said:

I could not believe anything on this new refreshed Tesla 3, especially the driving range.

New Tesla Model 3 Debuts: Chiseled Design, 421-Mile Estimated Range (insideevs.com)

Tesla has a ton to do to earn trust on their actual facts about their EVs.

I love the "nip and tuck" refresh. I think it looks really good. 

On 8/29/2023 at 1:28 PM, David said:

For those that like all black, Ford has a Platinum Black Edition of the Ford F150 Lightning pickup in Matte Black.

F-150 Lightning Platinum Black Edition (shorthandstories.com)

Snag_29ac98e3.png

I really like these. 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Makes sense, they are stupid easy to steal. 

Really wish I had drag raced. Kind of a life regret. 

This Camaro, raced by Taylor Chomiski just does it for me in the race car department. 

2218-00449.jpg?resize=736%2C491&ssl=1

• Like 1

More drag, lots of vintage action

This is what I love about racing, five hundredths of a second separated them. Have run autocross myself that's close like that. 

Are Google Pixels good phones?  I was at this juncture before and got some nods on the Google Pixel.

Instead, I bought a Kyocera DuraForce.  It's a Korean brand and it's really rugged since it's mostly aimed at the construction sector.  It is starting to do some weird things every now and then.  Other than that, it has been a phone I've really liked.

My phone use is basic and doesn't need to be cutting edge.  Any thoughts on Google Pixel (Android) phones?

I'm not an early adopter and I don't want to spend a lot, so please keep that in mind if you have suggestions and comments.

• Educational 1

21 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Are Google Pixels good phones?  I was at this juncture before and got some nods on the Google Pixel.

Instead, I bought a Kyocera DuraForce.  It's a Korean brand and it's really rugged since it's mostly aimed at the construction sector.  It is starting to do some weird things every now and then.  Other than that, it has been a phone I've really liked.

My phone use is basic and doesn't need to be cutting edge.  Any thoughts on Google Pixel (Android) phones?

I'm not an early adopter and I don't want to spend a lot, so please keep that in mind if you have suggestions and comments.

yes decent phone, tech folks tend to like it as it allows personal customization very easily. ymmv

• Thanks 1
  • Educational 1

19 minutes ago, David said:

yes decent phone, tech folks tend to like it as it allows personal customization very easily. ymmv

It doesn't look like it has "talk to text" per the specs I saw at Best Buy.  How is it even possible that that would be omitted?  Or did I miss something?

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

My real random thought for the day:

Lately, I've been wondering how people get a job tagging great white sharks.  And what the length of employment at such a job would be.

Ive had that kind of thought from one of the very first times I saw Shark Week (on Discovery channel) way back when. How adorable I thought.

Tiger Shark GIF by Shark Week - Find & Share on GIPHY

As long as your fingers stay intact I presume, would be the correct answer in longevity of said career choice. 

Great White Shark Bite Gif

But I quickly learned the one thing about myself that I knew I couldnt be one of the lucky ones to have such a job.  And it aint the fear of those teeth either.   I saw the Tyson/Holyfield fight live... I have teeth of my own.  I could always bite back.   Imma not so much a religious guy,  but an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth comes in handy in this line of work. 

Its this: 

Tweety's S.O.S. (1951) - The Internet Animation Database

YARN | Up one wave and down another. | Looney Tunes Golden Collection:  Volume 1 - S01E52 Tweety's S.O.S. | Video clips by quotes | 8661a6c5 | 紗

Cloud Meme on Tumblr

Tweety's S.O.S. | Dr. Grob's Animation Review

Tweety's S.O.S. (1951) | MUBI

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1