Random Thoughts Thread

Happy Labor Day.  Enjoying the holiday, going to do a bit of grilling this afternoon and be lazy and sit in the hot tub again tonight.   I'm on PTO this week, going to go to a couple beaches and take some sightseeing trips up the North Coast this week, as well as unpacking more around the house..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3

On 9/3/2023 at 9:36 AM, trinacriabob said:

It doesn't look like it has "talk to text" per the specs I saw at Best Buy.  How is it even possible that that would be omitted?  Or did I miss something?

Yes it does and they are very proud of the feature.

See how Google Pixel’s voice-to-text is better than the iPhone’s - Android Community

• Thanks 1
  • Educational 1

Very interesting, SK On a battery supplier to Ford and VW for EVs had shown off two types of potential Solid-State batteries in March 2023. They just released this month the following Press Release.

SK On develops new solid electrolyte with top-level lithium-ion conductivity – SK Innovation Newsroom (skinnonews.com)

Seems the Chinese hope to have prototype batteries in 2026 with mass production of Solid-State batteries in 2028 for all their commercial accounts.

The prototype battery assembly plant is currently under construction in China.

So what does this get us you ask:

• 70% improvement in Lithium-ion conductivity for improved stability
  • Battery Capacity increase of 25%
    • Current liquid Lithium-ion cells have a maximum of 4.3V
    • Solid-State cells have a maximum of 5.5V currently

End result is battery packs that are far more stable in all temperatures, 25% reduction in size with same kW or in current battery pack size, a 25% increase in power for longer range.

• Like 2
  • Educational 1

18 hours ago, David said:

Very interesting, SK On a battery supplier to Ford and VW for EVs had shown off two types of potential Solid-State batteries in March 2023. They just released this month the following Press Release.

SK On develops new solid electrolyte with top-level lithium-ion conductivity – SK Innovation Newsroom (skinnonews.com)

Seems the Chinese hope to have prototype batteries in 2026 with mass production of Solid-State batteries in 2028 for all their commercial accounts.

The prototype battery assembly plant is currently under construction in China.

So what does this get us you ask:

• 70% improvement in Lithium-ion conductivity for improved stability
  • Battery Capacity increase of 25%
    • Current liquid Lithium-ion cells have a maximum of 4.3V
    • Solid-State cells have a maximum of 5.5V currently

End result is battery packs that are far more stable in all temperatures, 25% reduction in size with same kW or in current battery pack size, a 25% increase in power for longer range.

It is like about 1912 or 1914 all over again, but this time with electric cars. We have a hundred years of stupid crazy progress ahead of us, and none of us will sadly live to see what wonderful things are coming in terms of EV's. 

10 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Still a BOF car.  A unibody car would have collapsed under all that weight.

I thought the crap stain down the passenger side was quite "interesting"

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It is like about 1912 or 1914 all over again, but this time with electric cars. We have a hundred years of stupid crazy progress ahead of us, and none of us will sadly live to see what wonderful things are coming in terms of EV's. 

Except today we have a MAJOR advantage over that time period.  We not only have seen the car of tomorrow several times in our history through literature or movies that we could use that imagination to foretell the future of the automobile accurately, we literally have the future of the car...TODAY.  PLUS, all the other technologies we use daily.  Wifi and bluetooth and internet and all the crazy shyte we pull off with that when we combine them with the other gadgets and toys and appliances and cars we like to consume.  

And I think we could glimpse where the majority of the car hating  illuminati want to push towards to:

Driverless, autonomous pods.  And we have seen that future too,  in movies.    But as concepts as well.   But also in the airplane world.  We see it NOW especially with the Ukraine war:  DRONES.  But we've also seen that too waaaaay before the Ukraine war.  MOVIES.   The Terminator comes to mind here.

And we could take an educated guess where this battery technology will lead us to other than cars and war.  In our commercial and residential buildings.  And we have seen that too.   Elon Musk has taekn the time to demostrate to us how the Powerwall system works.  And we have that today.  

But I do agree with you, the future of an electric car seems exciting. 

I wonder though,  those lament the loss of engine noises. Do they still feel like someone punched them to the gut?   Like Jay Leno said on his last Audrain Museum podcast:  Automakers could record sweet sweet engine noises on cassette and play it back in the cabin for those that still want to live by that experience. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

Very interesting story and some interesting name plates on the top 20 list like the S class car and the Miata.

Domestic Vehicles Among The Slowest-Selling In America, Whether They’re New Or Used | Carscoops

image.png

• Educational 1

Horsepower and torque is the cure to many things in life.   I approve. 

But it was a good thing he pressed on forward and continued on that way (pedal to the metal) because had he lost momentum by easing up on the throttle, I have a feeling those 700 horses would just dig a deeper hole and go nowhere. 

However.  This little stunt did screw up at least one of several Burning Man princples.   

Leaving No Trace
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.

But also solidified the last one

Mother Nature is a beast that mankind will NEVER be able to tame. She will ALWAYS overpower us.  No idea can substitute from this experience... that contact with a natural world EXCEEDS human powers.  Well...unless one owns and drives a TRX from Dodge.  One could try and possibly succeed in overcoming what Mother Nature may throw at us.  

Immediacy
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, David said:

Very interesting story and some interesting name plates on the top 20 list like the S class car and the Miata.

Domestic Vehicles Among The Slowest-Selling In America, Whether They’re New Or Used | Carscoops

image.png

Cherokee is kinda a false statistic. Stellantis intentionally over produced it by a LOT because it’s going out of production but the EV that is replacing it won’t go into production in the next model year.  Basically they built up stock levels to hold dealers over for longer.

I think the same goes for the Ford Edge which is already out of production until the next model comes which we haven’t even seen the new US version yet. Picture the new Nautilus with Ford bling.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, David said:

US: Ford Sold Almost 7,000 BEVs In August 2023 (insideevs.com)

Very cool for Ford to have increased EV sales.

That's nice.  Call me when their EVs are priced below $25K fully equipped

If Henry Ford can make an affordable car into a world beater a century ago, then his namesake company can do the same now.

3 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

If Henry Ford can make an affordable car into a world beater a century ago, then his namesake company can do the same now.

You can hardly find ANY vehicle for under 25k, let alone the newest technology in the segment. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Pretty much you can kiss the era of fully Loaded $25K autos goodbye. Inflation and world increase in everything is pushing prices to the new level of $30K auto as entry level and fully loaded as $35K to $40K.

The only way to keep pace is to increase ones skills so that you can increase ones pay. 

Sadly, we will see many fall behind and have to rely on public transit as price increases continue to cause everything to be more expensive.

I know many boomers that think the prices are crazy and want everything to go back to the 1960's/70's/80's in price and that will never happen. I know one who is capable of working but she thinks she is entitled to be retired on top of never having planned for retirement so survives on $1,000 a month from Social Security and has an auto and she is complaining about $5 gas but drives an old 1984 Camaro Z28 and will only put in Chevron gas. 

Choices we make will play a roll in the quality of life one lives.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Best I can do under $25k and fully equipped is a Kia Rio or a Hyundai Venue. Even the Sentra clocks in at $27k and the Mirage is dead.

Well...I wrote this in another thread and nobody saw it, but it has come up again in this one.    $25 000 dollar cars EXIST. Its just that WE Canadians and Americans want NOTHING to do with these types of cars.  We should blame OURSELVES for this...

On 9/2/2023 at 11:13 AM, oldshurst442 said:

About cars getting more expensive and if GM will regret not offering a cheaper sedan in their line-up.

Part of THAT problem lies with the North American consumer.  I have to stop saying North American because that includes Mexico and a couple of other countries as well when I REALLY mean Canada and the US.   

In Mexico...  VW sells its Polo and Nissan the Versa.  Both start at about 20 000 US dollars.   The Versa is sold in Canada and in the US, but NOT the Polo.   How many of us Canadian and American spoiled brats buy the Versa  and how many of us bought the Aveo  so VW could actually offer the Polo here?

Chevrolet offers cars like the Aveo, Nuevo Aveo (NEW Aveo...LOL), Onix and Cavalier RS.   

MSRPs are as follows:  14 000, 17 000, 18 000, 24 000  US dollars... 

Dodge has something called the Attitude.   16 000 US dollars.  

Meet the Dodge Attitude, The Adorable Baby Charger Americans Can't Buy -  autoevolution

Dodge Attitude 2019: Precios, versiones y equipamiento en México Gerardo  García

Does THAT look like an interior that an American or Canadian would want to BE in???!!  And yes, the Attitude is a small car.  Bigger than the Aveo and on the same size as the Chevy Onix.  Or the Polo for that matter.  Just in case some of you were wonderin' the Polo is smaller than today's Golf but in reality, the Polo is as big as the 1980s Rabbit/Golf. 

Honda has something called the City.  21 000 US dollars.  

WE do NOT want to HUMBLE ourselves with these kinds of cars, yet the REST of the world actually GETS BY with THESE things!!!!

Like honestly!!!  Lets take a step back from ALL the bullshyte. From ALL the marketing and the lies and deception that our corporations shovel our way. Our politicians etc...

At the END of the day...WE make our daily decisions to do what we do. What we buy.  And we do NOT buy entry level A or B class cars with the bare minimum interiors. 

GONE are the days when we were content with those types of cars.  We bitch and whine that GM does not offer anything like that yet...GM actually DOES. And everybody else in the REST of the world.   WE just do NOT buy it here...  WE...do NOT want that as a society...     I guess we have prospered long enough that we think we dont need to compromize anymore.  Maybe that is true but unless we hold accountable all the corruption...but more to it than that...  

UNLESS WE TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OF OVER CONSUMING AND DEBTING OUR FUTURE SELVES SEVERAL LIFETIMES OVER WITH CREDIT CARD DEBT AND THE LIKE...  maybe WE SHOULD start driving shyeboxes again...

Note: I am not directing that at you @daves87rs.   Just general speak.  

https://www.vw.com.mx/es.html

https://www.nissan.com.mx/

https://www.chevrolet.com.mx/

https://www.honda.mx/

https://www.dodge.com/mx/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Well...I wrote this in another thread and nobody saw it, but it has come up again in this one.    $25 000 dollar cars EXIST. Its just that WE Canadians and Americans want NOTHING to do with these types of cars.  We should blame OURSELVES for this...

https://www.vw.com.mx/es.html

https://www.nissan.com.mx/

https://www.chevrolet.com.mx/

https://www.honda.mx/

https://www.dodge.com/mx/

Weird, I totally missed this post, what thread did you post this in? Very valid points you made.

• Agree 1

For those that are into Chemistry, seems Korean researchers have finally figured out how to use Silicon in building Anodes for Lithium-ion batteries that increases storage by a factor of 10. This is a huge breakthrough and one that will find it's way into future Solid-state batteries.

Revolutionary Battery Technology to Boost EV Range 10-fold or More » POSTECH

The next step is to take this into prototype production and then beta testing of the battery cells. 

Exciting times for sure in the battery research and development area.

• Oh Yeah! 2

On 9/6/2023 at 11:48 AM, David said:

image.png

When I bought my ranger I considered getting a Miata. Back 3 years ago, Mazda told me there was 1 car available in the Columbus market in the next three months, and I would take whatever color or options they sent. How times change! I think the era of sporty compacts is passed forever actually. 

Another thing that has passed...big land yachts. I still love them though. Crappy video, amazing cars. 

More

Moar...

Amazing...

Still on a drag racing binge...

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, David said:

Weird, I totally missed this post, what thread did you post this in? Very valid points you made.

There was dialogue about the Malibu rental and then some dialogue about a Malibu in general and then some whining about car prices.  The same type of whining that I responded to in this thread.   So I had to react to both...

In this thread @trinacriabob has blessed us with yet story with another car rental from his famous trips.

I don’t know if I’d want to own a BMW 2 Gran Coupe overseas as its owner would have to contend with a lot of rambunctious drivers in “beaters” and on more challenging roads.  However, if money is no object and one can afford the repairs down the line, or is leasing one, this could be a great way to go about motoring.

This is what he said.   In bold. 

I laughed at that.    Why?  Because it reminded of Greece. His story resides in Portugal but he has ALSO seen this in Italy.   Because in these places, especially in little villages or towns, they buy a car, a cheap car, well, cars are hella expensive to begin with, but they usually buy a no frills model and drive the hell out of it.  These cars have all kinds of dents on them.  Dusty... parked on the side of mountainous cliff sides carrying all knds of stuff in them.  The windows are ALWAYS dusty.  The tires. the interiors.  Its a thing you have to experience.  BTW...in the bigger cities, you will continue to see that as well.. 

Way different than what our North American rednecks do. Almost the same. But different.    

Point being:  We Canadians and Americans have become spoiled brats.  We whine and whine and cry and stomp our feet especially when we cant have nice things anymore without making ANY compromises.  Its like we are OWED something... 

Yet...as we know...NOBODY owes us NOTHIN'!!!    But we do NOTHIN' to change our ways.  We CONTINUE to buy on credit...yada yada yada...

Like I said...in other parts of the world...THEY MAKE DO with what they got.    

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Are we spoiled in the USA and Canada? yes.

When will I see a midsize car at about $25K, anytime soon?  never, apparently.

Will we ever dump the two-box SUV/crossover for sedans again?  hard to tell.  right now, I doubt it. 😦

The good times have been loooong gone for us to STILL wanting to be spoiled.

In some parts of the world, their standard of living has almost caught up to ours and in some cases, even suprassed us.  Our standard of living has dipped as compared to the good 'ole days.  We can buy more junk today, but we are indebted several life times over. And that would be one of many reasons of why we are in the situation we are in.  Including the tantrum filled lives we lead...    Maybe we shouldnt be looking to 25 000 dollar midsized sedans as the answer...   And quite honestly, that kind of car you are looking for has been inexistant for a looong time. 

20 years ago...midsized sedans were 25 000 dollars.   20 years ago!!!   Geeze Louise!!! 

Regardless though.  Would anyone consider buying a car, whatever the price. Obviously for 25 000 or less,  with crank up windows and no A/C?    No electric anything?  No shytty apple car play and the like?  Could we actually do that?  Or are we soooo out of touch with what is TRULY important in life that we need all that garbage in our cars? 

Its NOT about two box SUV/crossovers.  We had the cheap econoboxes that other markets have embraced for the longest of time, like since forever that we have NEVER embraced.  Well, in the 1970s when gasoline prices shot up the roof.  And then some of us started hating American cars...  

But THAT is not the point either. 

The point is that, like how it WAS in the '70s and the gas cruch, when shyte hits the fan, we buckle down, but as soon as the noose is loosened, we become avarice in overconsumption of everything.    

Can we buy ANY car, midsized, without ANY creature comforts so the price COULD be $25 000?  If enough of us in Canada and in the US  actually BOUGHT cars that way,  they'd still exist in THIS market... 

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Can we buy ANY car, midsized, without ANY creature comforts so the price COULD be $25 000?  If enough of us in Canada and in the US  actually BOUGHT cars that way,  they'd still exist in THIS market... 

Yeah, I can't imagine there are many consumers today in the US or CA that would actually WANT a car without all the mod cons.    A stripped down basic vehicle w/ a despair gray interior says one of two things about it's owner--that's it's all they can afford, or they are a cheapskate.  Not a good image and not what people aspire to.   

In today's market, $25k is a decent used car, not much of anything decent under $30k for new and your average midsize CUV is $40k and up... 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

In today's market, $25k is a decent used car, not much of anything decent under $30k for new and your average midsize CUV is $40k and up...

This is one of many reasons as to why new  25 000 dollar cars dont exist.   Especially if said 25 000 dollar vehicle has no frills.  A used car of a couple of years with extras might be more enticing.  not might be more enticing, for many people it IS more enticing...   And I get that 100%.

that's it's all they can afford

Nothing wrong with that.  There shoudnt be any judgement by ANYBODY!

they are a cheapskate.

Nothing wrong with that either.  While a cheapskate could be judged for being a cheapskate, ultimately its the cheapskate that is the smartest one of all.  A penny saved is a penny earned and no reason to just part with your hard earned money on nonsense.  But lets be honest, NOBODY needs power windows.  Its nice to have them, but in icy cold Montreal and plenty of times the power windows dont power window in the winter, I sometimes bitch and wish for crank windows...  So there is that considering the cheapskated-ness of stripper cars.  

I dont aspire to be cheap.  But I certainly wished I was more of a miser than the make it rain type of guy i kinda was back in the day.  

Money Rain GIFs | GIFDB.com

• Educational 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

This is one of many reasons as to why new  25 000 dollar cars dont exist.   Especially if said 25 000 dollar vehicle has no frills.  A used car of a couple of years with extras might be more enticing.  not might be more enticing, for many people it IS more enticing...   And I get that 100%.

Nothing wrong with that.  There shoudnt be any judgement by ANYBODY!

Nothing wrong with that either.  While a cheapskate could be judged for being a cheapskate, ultimately its the cheapskate that is the smartest one of all.  A penny saved is a penny earned and no reason to just part with your hard earned money on nonsense.  But lets be honest, NOBODY needs power windows.  Its nice to have them, but in icy cold Montreal and plenty of times the power windows dont power window in the winter, I sometimes bitch and wish for crank windows...  So there is that considering the cheapskated-ness of stripper cars.  

I dont aspire to be cheap.  But I certainly wished I was more of a miser than the make it rain type of guy i kinda was back in the day.  

Money Rain GIFs | GIFDB.com

I can’t imagine going back to manual windows after decades with power windows.  And with any vehicle of sufficient size, can’t reach the passenger side and can’t reach the back windows.  Crank windows are best left to the past.  

I get the appeal of a $25k car, I’d pay cash and not finance something that cheap.  But I don’t like decontented or stripper models, I’m old enough I want all the goodies in something of decent size and not a subcompact 4cyl despair-mobile. (I drove an ‘84 Ford Escort diesel with manual windows and AM radio part of the time in college 30+ years ago, not going back to that level of minimalism).  

I like CPOs, get something 3 years old w/ low mikes at a reduced price.  A $60k car for $40k or a $50k suv for $30k.  I plan to do that again on my next vehicle. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I can’t imagine going back to manual windows after decades with power windows.  And with any vehicle of sufficient size, can’t reach the passenger side and can’t reach the back windows.  Crank windows are best left to the past.  

I understand all that.

But...if we want to save money, compromises need to be made, in order to achieve a car market that is well...affordable.  

Yes, crank windows need to come back.  What you just explained right there are just minor nuissances.  Unless of course you personally has the money to spend on luxuries like that.  Im discussing this as if we are still talking about having $25 000  midsized vehicles again.  Plenty of Americans and Canadians are in a pretty bad financial situation.  Inflation is just awefull and prices of goods and services that are of the necessary kind and not of the luxury kind are not going to go back down.  And our salaries are not going to go up matching inflation.  We are in a huge pickle.  I understand the pleas for cheaper cars.  Im a huge advocate for them.

45 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I get the appeal of a $25k car, I’d pay cash and not finance something that cheap.  But I don’t like decontented or stripper models, I’m old enough I want all the goodies and not a subcompact 4cyl despair-mobile. 

I know you do.   And I fully comprehend where you are coming from.  Please dont take our banter that Im schooling you and tsk tsk tsking you.   Its just that. Banter.  And rightfully so.  You want what you want and worked hard in your life that you do NOT need to compromise.  👍

48 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I like CPOs, get something 3 years old w/ low mikes at a reduced price.  A $60k car for $40k or a $50k suv for $30k.  I plan to do that again on my next vehicle. 

That is how one should do it.  I always buy new.  But more folk like you and less folk like me could also bring car prices down.    

• Thanks 1

As far as midsize family sedans, I do like the Malibu and Fusion quite a bit.  Drive many as rentals over the years.  I could live with a loaded one as a daily if I had a commute.  

It seems short sighted that GM and Ford have given up on mainstream sedans, as others have done also.  Basically given the market to Toyota, Honda and Hyundai and Kia.  But I don’t see the obsession with CUVs going away…

Edited by Robert Hall

On 9/8/2023 at 8:30 PM, riviera74 said:

Are we spoiled in the USA and Canada? yes.

When will I see a midsize car at about $25K, anytime soon?  never, apparently.

Will we ever dump the two-box SUV/crossover for sedans again?  hard to tell.  right now, I doubt it. 😦

One reason I am seldom here and no longer care about new cars frankly. Of the interesting passenger cars....Mustang,,,,Copy of a 1964 idea....Camaro...copy of a 1966 idea and cancelled.....Challenger, copy of a 1970 idea...Miata....update of a car introduced in 1989....GTI....update of a car introduced in 1975....Cadillac and Audi...sleek sedans but ultimately not that interesting....um....seems we ran out of ideas 45 or 50 years ago. 

Not that creative ideas didn't happen with 70's 80's, 90's other cars. 

But the automakers have jack $h! for creative ideas. 

Exotics largely look like cartoons drawn with a dull crayon by a drug induced stripper in a jail cell after a bad human trafficking session.  

BMW products largely look like the cheap pizza that stripper flushed down the toilet in her jail cell after her arrest for OMVI.

Large SUV's are cool, but again, need new ideas. 

As the book of Proverbs says.... "and the day of death than the day of one's birth."

On 9/9/2023 at 8:36 PM, Robert Hall said:

As far as midsize family sedans, I do like the Malibu and Fusion quite a bit.  Drive many as rentals over the years.  I could live with a loaded one as a daily if I had a commute.  

It seems short sighted that GM and Ford have given up on mainstream sedans, as others have done also.  Basically given the market to Toyota, Honda and Hyundai and Kia.  But I don’t see the obsession with CUVs going away…

Malibu and Fusion...are they even sold much/at all any more?

23 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Good morning

images.jpeg.608fc0884e24a8832db91b1262f3d640.jpeg

Her bare ass resembles a lot of Nissan products. 

On 9/9/2023 at 8:02 AM, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, I can't imagine there are many consumers today in the US or CA that would actually WANT a car without all the mod cons.    A stripped down basic vehicle w/ a despair gray interior says one of two things about it's owner--that's it's all they can afford, or they are a cheapskate.  Not a good image and not what people aspire to.   

This is something to consider, most folks are in a worse financial situation than they were 4, n6, 8 years ago. We need to move away from cars as a primary form of transportation.  Long term we don't have the petroleum reserves, the space, or the ability to deal with the environmental harm of the car as a daily driver for most folks. 

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2023 at 7:18 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Point being:  We Canadians and Americans have become spoiled brats.  We whine and whine and cry and stomp our feet especially when we cant have nice things anymore without making ANY compromises.  Its like we are OWED something... 

Yet...as we know...NOBODY owes us NOTHIN'!!!    But we do NOTHIN' to change our ways.  We CONTINUE to buy on credit...yada yada yada...

Like I said...in other parts of the world...THEY MAKE DO with what they got.    

Quoted for truth. Apparently Canadians get something right once in awhile.  Does not mean that I hate the image.png.9d9a371ce226fffcea6a153b30ee0d86.png

Any less. 

Good riddance to all 3 of these $h! boxes, and good Monday morning to you all!

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Malibu and Fusion...are they even sold much/at all 

This is something to consider, most folks are in a worse financial situation than they were 4, n6, 8 years ago.  

Malibu is in it's last year, Fusion is gone...it's crazy, but Ford only has one car left--the Mustang.  

I guess being in tech I have a warped (jaded?) view of things..my total compensation has almost doubled in the last 3 years and my old house almost doubled in value over 6 years.. inflation partially I'm sure.   I can afford a new $60-75k car, but it's hard to justify considering I work out of my house and have no commute.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Malibu is in it's last year, Fusion is gone...it's crazy, but Ford only has one car left--the Mustang.  

I guess being in tech I have a warped view of things..my total compensation has almost doubled in the last 3 years and my old house almost doubled in value over 6 years.. inflation partially I'm sure.   I can afford a new $60-75k car, but it's hard to justify considering I work out of my house and have no commute.  

I have largely given up on cars altogether. I have owned vintage cars and love them, but now a woodworking shop fills my garage.  Enjoying using my Ranger to get to places to hike/explore.  If something happens to Ranger, want to get something similar to replace it. But the inexpensive midsize truck is going the way of the Dodo bird and the sedan. Ford is now building only crew cab models and 99 percent of them are loaded if you are not a fleet buyer. 

Paid 27K for my Ranger, a new Ranger on a lot is usually about 47K.  Not sure it is worth the extra 20K to me. 

After all this negativity, something positive. Young woman playing piano...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I have largely given up on cars altogether. I have owned vintage cars and love them, but now a woodworking shop fills my garage.  Enjoying using my Ranger to get to places to hike/explore.  If something happens to Ranger, want to get something similar to replace it. But the inexpensive midsize truck is going the way of the Dodo bird and the sedan. Ford is now building only crew cab models and 99 percent of them are loaded if you are not a fleet buyer. 

Paid 27K for my Ranger, a new Ranger on a lot is usually about 47K.  Not sure it is worth the extra 20K to me. 

The new car market looks bleak to me...EVs don't appeal to me, I don't want a CUV, maybe another SUV eventually (another Grand Cherokee), I have no interest in trucks.   I still have my vintage Mustangs, getting restored now, but they are weekend toys I won't drive very much.  

I'm thinking a CPO Cadillac sedan or Chrysler 300 might be my next primary vehicle (save the Jeep for winter).     

More interested in spending on real estate..upgrades to my new house, maybe eventually a lake house somewhere in NE Ohio or a winter getaway home in SC..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Great Idea! 1

9 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Word.  And your penciling of the situation makes sense.

People have become increasingly more disconnected from each other, music has gotten crappier, etc. etc.  Is it any wonder that the choice of vehicles has become more disappointing as well?

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Quoted for truth. Apparently Canadians get something right once in awhile.  Does not mean that I hate the image.png.9d9a371ce226fffcea6a153b30ee0d86.png

Any less. 

Canadians...ALL Canadians dont like the Maple Leafs either.   Only Canadians from the GTA area tolerate the Leafs.  

9 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I kinda want an '80s IROC-Z w/ t-tops to go w/ my 5.0..

Speaking of GTA.  

1987 GTA TA | Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Spohn Performance | Customer Cars

Pin on Throwback Thursdays

Not exactly a Camaro IROC.   Diffrent but same;  a picture of...until you find and buy your IROC-Z.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

Me too actually.  On both accounts.  I prefer the Trans Am over the Camaro but in 2023, they are on equal footing.  Same for the Mustang. I didnt like that '80s Mustang at all.  But I loooong for one today.  There are a few around in my neighborhood and I grin every single time I see one.  I would sooooo own one right now and drive the heck out of it.  Proudly I might add. 

Same with the Japanese sports cars of that era.  Most of those I liked, maybe in a more hush hush manner. But today, I have a deep, as you said, fondness for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1