Random Thoughts Thread

22 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I have found that I have to get money orders when I make a donation.  These are to bona fide charities everyone knows. 

The problem:  you might just get onto their mailing list and on mailing lists that they share.  With the money order, I just scribble a signature real fast, which is not the way I usually sign. 

The bottom line: they get their money, because I track the money order.

It's offensive that, even here, "no good deed goes unpunished."

- - - - -

When my mom was around, she gave money to about 4 Catholic charities and a major research hospital.  Eventually, she was getting stuff with pre-addressed prepaid envelopes from about 25 different charities - most of them still Catholic.  They'd put little trinkets or mailing labels in their mail outs to make you feel guilty or obligated.  She still continued to give to the 5 or so charities.  However, after she passed away, I had to call those 25 charities, tell them she had passed, and to STOP!

* something to think about for when and how you make donations *

And people at these charities wonder why younger generations do not give as much. 

Debt due to education and other expenses and the hounding of the Charities constantly asking for more money.

• Great Idea! 1

On 8/6/2023 at 2:15 PM, David said:

And people at these charities wonder why younger generations do not give as much. 

Debt due to education and other expenses and the hounding of the Charities constantly asking for more money.

These are smaller factions with the religion that do need the funding.  My mom chose 5 of them.  Not 25.  Hopefully, the other 20 or so have their loyal patronage.

It's very true how housing costs and debt (student loans) have shifted what the pie chart of disposable income looks like.  It's a bad situation that hasn't helped anyone except the very rich.

Writing the last check to flush out the student loans was one joyous event. 

• Agree 1

Seems Fisker is bringing a Pickup to Market, Alaska is the name of the truck and it has a mid gate just like the Chevrolet Sierra truck. They also released the whole product line through 2026.

Microsoft Word - Fisker Product Vision Day Press Release FINAL (ctfassets.net)

Fisker Alaska | Advanced. Versatile. Powerful. (fiskerinc.com)

Given how long I keep cars, y'all know I tend to be cheap.  However, I saw this brochure on eBay by chance while looking at cars and such, came back around, and bought it - under $10, with taxes and shipping.

KIMG15352.thumb.JPG.32a5af76ddf3d646eac74dbf8978abc0.JPG

We build excitement!  What an improvement from the 1978 to 1980 rendition ... from every vantage point.

KIMG15362.thumb.JPG.a483fee31736628460bd0f081bebdcea.JPG

I loved this dashboard.  It's on the LJ.  A leather wrapped wheel would have been nicer than urethane, but they weren't as common.  Is it any wonder my interest in cars seems to have linearly waned over time?

KIMG15372.thumb.JPG.1d1da867919b18a1a53aaa037abcfc44.JPG

All the (post) malaise era accoutrements to pimp out your GP are here to choose from.  J/K.

I was really happy when I opened up the shipping carton and pulled out this brochure in near perfect condition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Lucky cop

I have seen this before.  It's one of those things you keep looking at to ask yourself if it's for real and how close the margins are.  It's scary.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NINETY EIGHT REGENCY said:

Driving Pontiac.....Get your Pontiac brochure and buy!  A Pontiac buy!

We build excitement...  Pontiac!

Thanks for these videos.

The first one is a strange video.  With the violinist(s), it doesn't make this Pontiac seem very Pontiac.  But then this is when they were focusing on the Brougham model, which went after the same audience as the better B-O-P trims.  The Brougham was nice, but it needed 40-40 seats so they could slot in a console for those who wanted it.  When they switch over to the base model, the basic seating is very unremarkable.  So are the exterior bits on the base model.  That model was way downstream from the Brougham.  Basically, the LJ is where it's at and the leather option was unnecessary.

At about 3:40, that guy mentions engine choices.  He starts out with the 3.8 and then mentions a more "spirited" or "lively" 4.3 V8.  So far, I don't think we're at over 120 horses!  To that, add the 5.7 V8 diesel.  There was nothing that spelled Pontiac excitement in these engines; however, the first two proved to be reliable.

I like that they took us through the design process.  At one point, the side window treatment continued straight through and omitted the opera window.  I'm glad the opera window found its way onto the car.  Damn, that front grille and headlamps look so much nicer than the chunkier and more vertical set-up of the '78-'80 models.  Sometimes, you wonder how some crap they've modeled in clay and then some even makes it to production.  (I'm not talking about the cars on these videos ... other cars that have "mistakes," in my opinion.)

The second video appears to be the entire Pontiac portfolio ... or am I wrong? Or it just focuses on their more luxurious cars being driven around California's two lane mountain roads.  I had forgotten the Parisienne and the plush pillowed interior that was offered in it. There was no mention of a Firebird, a 6000, a Sunfire, a Sunbird, or anything like that.  I wonder how many models they had in that famed year known as 1984.  

• Agree 1

Cool info on the V4 Tesla Superchargers that are starting to get deployed in Europe First.

Tesla V4 Superchargers: Power, Design and Cable Length Revealed (notateslaapp.com)

Cable length has gone from 2 meters (6 1/2 ft) to 3 meters (9 1/2 ft).

Chargers are rated at 1000VDC, 615 A, Operating temp -30C to +50C

• Educational 1

Haven't been around much lately, been a busy summer...hating the constant rain..been so wet the last 3-4 months.  Is this Cleveland or Seattle? ;)

Moved into the new house on June 22, been going back and forth working on the old house, moving out everything, unpacking boxes, busy with work since then...old house almost ready--should be on the MLS in the next week finally.  Getting new carpet this week.  Had the inside and inside of the garage painted over the last two weeks.  Getting tired of the 25 mile drive on I-271 and the fecal I-480 back and forth between the two houses (480 freeway has the worst drivers in Ohio I think--saw the aftermath of 3 crashes in a 5 mile stretch yesterday).   The worst drivers are no longer BMW drivers--its KIA drivers--they drive like complete assholes....

Looking forward to getting the house for sale and actually getting back to enjoying my weekends.... 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, David said:

Ziply, formerly Frontier was here to replace my 7 year old router and wow, big improvement in WiFi and speed.

The upload speeds you are getting from Ziply is very impressive.  Newer equipment (especially replacing anything older than three years old) always impresses with better speed, lower latency and higher throughput.

• Agree 1

Join me today in wishing @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY a happy birthday.  All year long, he provides the forum with informative, entertaining, and even quirky videos and links.

It's very easy to remember his birthday because it's that of Napoleon Bonaparte and, more importantly, that of my late father.

I also looked up who else might be a famous person having a birthday today. I found quite a few, with the more known ones being Jennifer Lawrence, Ben Affleck, and chef Julia Child.  All the other ones were younger "too cool for school" types that don't register with me.

Happy birthday, Landis!  And many more.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Oh Yeah! 3

On 8/8/2023 at 5:28 PM, trinacriabob said:

Given how long I keep cars, y'all know I tend to be cheap.  However, I saw this brochure on eBay by chance while looking at cars and such, came back around, and bought it - under $10, with taxes and shipping.

KIMG15352.thumb.JPG.32a5af76ddf3d646eac74dbf8978abc0.JPG

We build excitement!  What an improvement from the 1978 to 1980 rendition ... from every vantage point.

KIMG15362.thumb.JPG.a483fee31736628460bd0f081bebdcea.JPG

I loved this dashboard.  It's on the LJ.  A leather wrapped wheel would have been nicer than urethane, but they weren't as common.  Is it any wonder my interest in cars seems to have linearly waned over time?

KIMG15372.thumb.JPG.1d1da867919b18a1a53aaa037abcfc44.JPG

All the (post) malaise era accoutrements to pimp out your GP are here to choose from.  J/K.

I was really happy when I opened up the shipping carton and pulled out this brochure in near perfect condition.

If you're looking for other specific makes/models from GM, Ford, or Chrysler. I was gifted an extensive collection a while back that spans decades.  I'm planning on selling off most of it.

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Join me today in wishing @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY a happy birthday.  All year long, he provides the forum with informative, entertaining, and even quirky videos and links.

It's very easy to remember his birthday because it's that of Napoleon Bonaparte and, more importantly, that of my late father.

I also looked up who else might be a famous person having a birthday today. I found quite a few, with the more known ones being Jennifer Lawrence, Ben Affleck, and chef Julia Child.  All the other ones were younger "too cool for school" types that don't register with me.

Happy birthday, Landis!  And many more.

Happy Birthday @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

:tipsy:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy Birthday @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Happy Birthday GIF by Jelene

15 hours ago, riviera74 said:

The upload speeds you are getting from Ziply is very impressive.  Newer equipment (especially replacing anything older than three years old) always impresses with better speed, lower latency and higher throughput.

Weird part is that the router I never think about till it starts acting up. Usually, I have them replaced every 5 years, but this one went 7 years. WOW.

Ultium Cells Response to US Senator Br... | Ultium Cells LLC

Very interesting read, totally get GM here.

• Agree 1

Crazy how various publications think there is something up with GM due to delays in production of EVs. Overall, I think GM is taking a proper cautious approach to introducing new EVs and getting it right from the start.

General Motors Outlines Ultium-Based BEV Rollout Plan For H2 2023 (insideevs.com)

Thank you everyone for your birthday wishes. It is appreciated. I thought I would share something that arrived in my driveway in July.  It was bought  in July after the demise of the black Toronado in May 2021. I have not said anything because I have been working on things to get to registered and in proper working order.  It is from Canada. I bought it outside the United States and had paid for importation and paperwork.  That is why there has been a delay  of me posting videos and articles.  I thought you might wanted to see the new Toronado. 

Image preview

Image preview

Image preview

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATExAG

Image preview

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If you're looking for other specific makes/models from GM, Ford, or Chrysler. I was gifted an extensive collection a while back that spans decades.  I'm planning on selling off most of it.

Thank you for letting me know!  I'll have to think about which ones (year, make) would be ones I'd like.  Thanks.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:15 PM, trinacriabob said:

I have found that I have to get money orders when I make a donation.  These are to bona fide charities everyone knows. 

That would painful...going to the post office, waiting in line and getting a money order like it's 1995...dark ages stuff.  If a charitable organization doesn't take PayPal, I won't donate.  (Most of the charities I regularly support are small terrier breed rescues and shelters)

On 8/15/2023 at 11:12 PM, regfootball said:

Relatives in town.  Came to visit with a rental from Hertz.  New Chevy Bolt!  38 dollars a day evidently.

IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_1313.jpeg

Telepathy at work.

I will be getting a rental car next week.  I opted for the "surprise" deal and it said that it could be an EV.  I'm questioning the range and was told it can vary.  I might even get a regular car, which is what happens most of the time.  As long as it has a trunk that can be covered.  

This might be an adventure.  I have no clue where to power a potential EV rental.

As for the Bolt, I prefer the name to Volt, which is too obvious.  It's not too bad looking from the photos.  I especially like the dash and how everything sits under the cowl.

- - - - -

I don't think they were prescient when Buick released the Electra nameplate.  Some cars have been named after Greek mythological figures.  However, Electra is a name that should definitely come back when Buick brings an EV CAR back into their portfolio.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

With regards to the 82 Grand Prix, here is my idea of the ideal 82 GM midsize. 

Haha.

And here I drooled over a nicely but not too equipped Brougham coupe with the smaller 260 Rocket V8, for which '82 was coincidentally the last year Olds made it.  They had it from '75 to '82.  It was the quietest of all the Rocket V8 engines, based on what I've (actually) heard.  

• Like 1

The random thought I actually had and one that should resonate with the IT folks we have on the forum:

When on a merchant's website buying or ordering something and it gets to the payment field, I much prefer the screens where, as you type in the information, the credit card immediately has asterisks all the way across except for the last 4 numbers.  Now, if they can't do that, I do like, as a minimum, when the asterisks quickly show up as you type in the CVV code so it is not visible.

Is this too much to ask?  I don't think it is.

Edited by trinacriabob

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Telepathy at work.

I will be getting a rental car next week.  I opted for the "surprise" deal and it said that it could be an EV.  I'm questioning the range and was told it can vary.  I might even get a regular car, which is what happens most of the time.  As long as it has a trunk that can be covered.  

This might be an adventure.  I have no clue where to power a potential EV rental.

As for the Bolt, I prefer the name to Volt, which is too obvious.  It's not too bad looking from the photos.  I especially like the dash and how everything sits under the cowl.

- - - - -

I don't think they were prescient when Buick released the Electra nameplate.  Some cars have been named after Greek mythological figures.  However, Electra is a name that should definitely come back when Buick brings an EV CAR back into their portfolio.

https://insideevs.com/news/671907/buick-electra-e4-unveiled-more-stylish-alternative-e5/

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Haha.

And here I drooled over a nicely but not too equipped Brougham coupe with the smaller 260 Rocket V8, for which '82 was coincidentally the last year Olds made it.  They had it from '75 to '82.  It was the quietest of all the Rocket V8 engines, based on what I've (actually) heard.  

I had a 78 with a 260 V8, swapped it for an Olds 307. 

• Great Idea! 1

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I had a 78 with a 260 V8, swapped it for an Olds 307. 

I recall you mentioning it here and how you weren't exactly kind to it (lol) but, for me, there's a sentimental attachment to the 260.  It's a dumb story.   The other thing is that I have to "process" the 307 as the Olds Rocket 5.0 L V8 because the 307 was an "old school" Chevy small block V8 slotted in between the 283 and the 327.

The funny thing is that, when the 260 V8 was released, the base engine in the Cutlass Supreme and the Omega - coupes and sedans - was Chevy's in-line 250 6 cylinder.  Only the Salon - not even the Brougham - started out with the 260 V8.  Eventually, my parents picked up a lightly used Omega (sharing the Nova-Ventura-Skylark chassis) with the 260 V8, so we also had one as an extra car for the dog and more utilitarian tasks.  One of my friends called it the "priest's car," because it was plainly equipped and looked like it would be seen next to a rectory or the nuns' residence.  My dad said, "Tell your friend I ain't no priest," (albeit in Italian).

Our neighbors got close to 150,000 miles of mostly city driving in SoCal on the large Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe with a 260 V8.  They were paired to a THM 350 transmission.  Then, when they went over to the smaller '78s and beyond, they paired the 260 V8, and the other engines that were available, to the smaller and unreliable THM 200 ... and transmission failure was common.

I was handed down an '84 Supreme Brougham coupe with the 3.8 V6 - and that crappy transmission - and it failed at 129,000 miles.  It was not maintained, with the transmission fluid looking light brown instead of pink.  I then took it in to get the transmission redone and this cool Portuguese guy owned the shop.  He gave me a price for the new transmission.  I asked if I could have a THM 350 put in instead and he seemed amenable to that, since the length of the casing was exactly the same.  He only charged me $100 to $150 more and it was worth its weight in gold (well, not really).

I guess the moral of the story is that when you pair a smaller engine (3.8 V6 or 260 V8) to a larger transmission, the transmission snoozes with the lower torque being pushed through and it's a win-win for the powertrain.  At least it appears that way.  

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I recall you mentioning it here and how you weren't exactly kind to it (lol) but, for me, there's a sentimental attachment to the 260.  It's a dumb story.   The other thing is that I have to "process" the 307 as the Olds Rocket 5.0 L V8 because the 307 was an "old school" Chevy small block V8 slotted in between the 283 and the 327.

The funny thing is that, when the 260 V8 was released, the base engine in the Cutlass Supreme and the Omega - coupes and sedans - was Chevy's in-line 250 6 cylinder.  Only the Salon - not even the Brougham - started out with the 260 V8.  Eventually, my parents picked up a lightly used Omega (sharing the Nova-Ventura-Skylark chassis) with the 260 V8, so we also had one as an extra car for the dog and more utilitarian tasks.  One of my friends called it the "priest's car," because it was plainly equipped and looked like it would be seen next to a rectory or the nuns' residence.  My dad said, "Tell your friend I ain't no priest," (albeit in Italian).

Our neighbors got close to 150,000 miles of mostly city driving in SoCal on the large Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe with a 260 V8.  They were paired to a THM 350 transmission.  Then, when they went over to the smaller '78s and beyond, they paired the 260 V8, and the other engines that were available, to the smaller and unreliable THM 200 ... and transmission failure was common.

I was handed down an '84 Supreme Brougham coupe with the 3.8 V6 - and that crappy transmission - and it failed at 129,000 miles.  It was not maintained, with the transmission fluid looking light brown instead of pink.  I then took it in to get the transmission redone and this cool Portuguese guy owned the shop.  He gave me a price for the new transmission.  I asked if I could have a THM 350 put in instead and he seemed amenable to that, since the length of the casing was exactly the same.  He only charged me $100 to $150 more and it was worth its weight in gold (well, not really).

I guess the moral of the story is that when you pair a smaller engine (3.8 V6 or 260 V8) to a larger transmission, the transmission snoozes with the lower torque being pushed through and it's a win-win for the powertrain.  At least it appears that way.  

GM had two separate 307's the 307 Chevy and the 307 Olds, which was an Oldsmobile motor. 

And the song about it...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

GM had two separate 307's the 307 Chevy and the 307 Olds, which was an Oldsmobile motor. 

And the song about it...

Yes.  Two 307s.  

Production was closer to each other than I thought.

Chevy from 1968 to 1973.  Olds from 1980 to 1990.  That's a distance of 7 years!

Because we shifted from thinking in cubic inches to thinking in liters, I always think of the former as the Chevy 307 V8 and the latter as the Olds 5.0 L V8. 

Both engines are derivatives - the 307 was hewn from the 327 (to use the same crankshaft) and the Olds 5.0 is an interpolation between the famed Rocket 350 and the 260 - the 260 was accomplished simply by a smaller bore diameter than that of the 350.

- - - - -

I liked listening to Jacques Cousteau speak.  One time he was doing a show on manatees and mentioned that manatees eat water hyacinths in his great French accent.

As for John Denver, I looked up his bio.  I vaguely remember that something happened to him.  Sadly, it did.  His light went out after only 53 years.  May he R.I.P.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

And the song about it...

Interesting to read the story on his death and it seems strange when you read about it, I think there was more to his death than anyone will every know.

John Denver's Death And The Story Of His Tragic Plane Crash (allthatsinteresting.com)

• Agree 1

Have to say I see the trucks and SUVs every day now around here where I live and with a new showroom opening up near me, will have to go check it out and see how I fit in the Rivian truck and SUV.

Here's Why Rivian Might Be The 'Jeep' Of The EV World (topspeed.com)

Hopefully @Drew Dowdell can get one of these as a press demo for the week and write up a review.

• Educational 1

Very cool camper for the GMC Hummer EV.

For Anywhere and Everywhere: GMC HUMMER EV EarthCruiser Upfit by EarthCruiser

hummer-ev-earthcruiser-02 (1).jpghummer-ev-earthcruiser-05.jpg

To reserve the GMC HUMMER EV EarthCruiser upfit, please visit: http://www.earthcruiser.com/reserve-your-gmc-hummer-ev-earthcruiser

Additional Product Details:

Specifications:

• Height: 117 inches in “Camp Mode” with the roof up and 90 inches in “Drive Mode” with the roof down
  • Length: 217 inches
  • Sleeping capacity: 2

Exterior:

• Carbon-fiber house construction
  • Four-season, tri-layed pop top
  • Outdoor shower
  • Exterior recovery gear storage
  • Exterior filtered water access
  • Lockable utility hook-ups
  • Exterior keypad for lighting and system control
  • Exterior scene lights
  • Integrated rooftop solar
  • 13.5-gallon freshwater capacity
  • 7-gallon grey tank

Interior

• 80 inches of standing headroom at the entry, 76 inches on the step in the hallway and 35 inches in the bed area
  • Sink
  • Induction cooktop
  • RV full bed
  • Underbed storage
  • Interior filtered and unfiltered water
  • 7-inch-diagonal touchscreen control
  • Refrigerator / freezer
  • Dimmable interior lighting
  • 460Ah lithium 12V battery
  • 1500W inverter
  • Integrated storage drawers and cabinets
  • Onboard 12V water heater

What? People don't believe in stereotyping ... or even profiling?

When you are in a blue state, you can usually find places to deposit recyclables fairly easily.  The more progressive they are, the easier it will be.

When you are in a red state, good luck with that.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

What? People don't believe in stereotyping ... or even profiling?

When you are in a blue state, you can usually find places to deposit recyclables fairly easily.  The more progressive they are, the easier it will be.

When you are in a red state, good luck with that.

I live in a blue state and work in a red state. There's recycling on each floor at work and I get my recycling picked up weekly from my home. Both seem fine to me. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I live in a blue state and work in a red state. There's recycling on each floor at work and I get my recycling picked up weekly from my home. Both seem fine to me. 

I would say that is an exception rather than the norm. 

It is amazing how many coworkers come from red states and they all tend to respond the same. WTF with all the various cans, garbage is garbage, throw it all in one can.

Yes Seattle is very progressive in this regards as we have trash, recycling, compost as required cans in all businesses and for homes here. 

I personally like the fact that you throw all your greasy paper food containers in the yard/food compost bin.

I do get that not every company from every red state is that way as I know that Dell in Austin has recycling cans in all the offices too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Major cities and progressive (or more with it) companies and businesses in red states have more recycling options.  That's true.

It's just frustrating when you're at a hotel or a coffeehouse and you have to throw your plastic and paper stuff into the car and then wait to find some place you can recycle it.  I tend to have a small collection of this stuff sitting on the floor in the passenger side footwell until I find such a place.

2 hours ago, David said:

I would say that is an exception rather than the norm. 

It is amazing how many coworkers come from red states and they all tend to respond the same. WTF with all the various cans, garbage is garbage, throw it all in one can.

Yes Seattle is very progressive in this regards as we have trash, recycling, compost as required cans in all businesses and for homes here. 

I personally like the fact that you throw all your greasy paper food containers in the yard/food compost bin.

I do get that not every company from every red state is that way as I know that Dell in Austin has recycling cans in all the offices too.

Correct as to the exceptions to the rule.  I could see Austin recycling in general.

It's "good luck" when you cross Florida, Texas, and some Midwestern states and you pull into a rest area and a good many of these rest areas do not have recycling options.  A rare few do.

• Agree 1

My initial random thought:

So, you try not to be a cheapskate and start accepting that tipping levels have moved up from 15% to 18% and upwards.

I went somewhere for lunch today, the server was very good, and I left a tip between 18% and 20%.  (I always round them to get to a total in whole dollars or half dollars ... possible indicator of OCD, not sure.)  

I then head to the parking lot behind the restaurant and see that server on a smoke break.

I then wished I had left a little less than what I left because I feel like I just funded at least half of the cost of his pack of cigarettes.

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2023 at 3:11 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

This thing is a piece of work.  Almost weird enough to have taken the Griswolds from Chicago to (closed) Wally World.  It's also kind of sinister looking when viewed from the front.

Too bad the decal was gone from atop the air cleaner housing.  It would have said "Oldsmobile Rocket 455."

The instrument panel is a hoot, mostly for that centralized speedo that wraps around inside a square bezel, a big empty spot above the climate control panel, no gauges, and a few red idiot lights on.

The "avocado" interior is also a big time warp and they may have made "avocado" kitchen appliances at about that time.

Ah yes.  The good ole days of car shows.  Especially the ones from Deee-troy-it.  

The car of tomorrow today when the future was full of hope.   

Ahhhhh....  the irony.   The parallels of living life then and living life today almost mirror each other.  Threat of ww3 and nuclear fallout.  The West against the East is in full swing.

But.  We actually HAVE the cars of tomorrow...today.   

A little glimpse of how fun cars used to be.

But none of that humour is tolerated today.   Agree with it or not, find it funny or offensive,  ya'll got to agree, the mother-n-law ALWAYS needs to get the shaft...  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

On 7/12/2023 at 3:14 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

Why I will probably never own a Tesla. 

You and I both!!!

Oh...BTW

On 7/14/2023 at 10:10 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

The new GMC Canyon looks great. I may well think of buying one. Ranger is getting much closer to paid off...

Oldshurst, CCAP, others seem to have left the chat. 

Cam-newton-im-back GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • Educational 1

20 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

My initial random thought:

So, you try not to be a cheapskate and start accepting that tipping levels have moved up from 15% to 18% and upwards.

I went somewhere for lunch today, the server was very good, and I left a tip between 18% and 20%.  (I always round them to get to a total in whole dollars or half dollars ... possible indicator of OCD, not sure.)  

I then head to the parking lot behind the restaurant and see that server on a smoke break.

I then wished I had left a little less than what I left because I feel like I just funded at least half of the cost of his pack of cigarettes.

Sadly their habit is their habit. Stay focused on the dinning experience and if the service is top notch, then tip top notch and let them deal with their own bad habits. 

Kinda reminds me of the medical industry, it is amazing how many medical professionals smoke.

• Great Idea! 1

78 Olds wagon. None of these rides is worth repairing, but cool to see old iron get crushed once in awhile. That wagon in good shape would be a lot of fun. 

Hurts watching this Buick get crushed. 

• Oh Yeah! 1