• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Wings4Life(BANNED)

Continental at Pebble Beach Concours

Good pictures.  I see Bentley in it.  The '61 Continental did not look like anything else.

I hope this means that it'll look a lot like this in production form.

Also, I hope there is a "not everything dipped in chrome" version. That would look a lot better, IMO.

Nice car, needs a Monochromatic version please, Right now my eyes are burning from all the freakin chrome.

• Upvote 1

Externally, the chrome is minimal and tasteful and classic Lincoln.

Internally, yeah, it should and will be toned down.  And there will be lessor trim levels too.

Internally, yeah, it should and will be toned down.  And there will be lessor trim levels too.

Okay Wings, I understand you like it but there is no vehicle on the market with chrome side skirs, and front and rear "splitter/diffuser". Nobody could honestly say that is considered minimal. You may think it is tasteful which I will politely disagree with but I don't think anybody is saying it is minimal.

Nice car, needs a Monochromatic version please, Right now my eyes are burning from all the freakin chrome.

110% agree. :o

Okay Wings, I understand you like it but there is no vehicle on the market with chrome side skirs, and front and rear "splitter/diffuser". Nobody could honestly say that is considered minimal. You may think it is tasteful which I will politely disagree with but I don't think anybody is saying it is minimal.

Lincoln’s heritage is rich with gobs of chrome.  Even Continental.  This concept can’t hold a candle to the amount used during most of Lincoln’s past, hence my remark of minimalist.

I think it looks wonderful and tasteful.

I respect your opinion to NOT like it. Please don’t disrespect mine.

One of my fav’s

http://www.schmitt.com/viewimage.asp?ID=4257

Lincoln’s heritage is rich with gobs of chrome.  Even Continental.  This concept can’t hold a candle to the amount used during most of Lincoln’s past, hence my remark of minimalist.

One of my fav’s

I see where you're coming from.

I love the body and lines just not the chrome or at least the amount, for sure.

• Upvote 1

One of my fav’s

I see where you're coming from.

I love the body and lines just not the chrome or at least the amount, for sure.

Thank you cap.

And I was a tad harsh it seems.  You are typically one of the objective ones around.

Ahh no biggie, man. Everybody has their opinions. It's just how they are portrayed that varies.. Some are good at voicing their opinions, some try and make their opinions sound as if they are a provable fact.

I don't think there is any way they'll do chrome down low on the front and rear air-dams like that.  They'd be trash after 2 days of north east winter and Lincoln would get complaints. 

• Upvote 2

Agree w/ DD ^

That said, if I were in the Lincoln market, I would without hesitation check the box that got me the whole bottom of the car dipped in chrome. :yes:  What's the matter with all you sticks in the mud; monochromatic?? Haven't we sucked the marrow out of that for the last 30 years?

still not feelin it, although this pic helps

03-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.

Avenir still has more goods IMHO

04-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.

Edited by regfootball

The Avenir certainly has a more contemporary look. And underpinnings.

GM should build it. It likely won't hurt Cadillac sales.

Edited by El Kabong

I don't think there is any way they'll do chrome down low on the front and rear air-dams like that.  They'd be trash after 2 days of north east winter and Lincoln would get complaints. 

I dont think so...GM's chrome trim in the 1970s/1980s/1990s held up pretty good in Quebec winters...

Just for a visual of some Cadillacs with chrome trim on the bottom of the cars...

135D02EF-F990-4D64-8ACC-12CBFC2746E5_1.j

fleet2.jpg

And Chevy cars had that chrome trim too...

2078700002_large.jpg

Agree w/ DD ^

That said, if I were in the Lincoln market, I would without hesitation check the box that got me the whole bottom of the car dipped in chrome. :yes:  What's the matter with all you sticks in the mud; monochromatic?? Haven't we sucked the marrow out of that for the last 30 years?

I would also check that option and have me some chrome...

Part of Americana....

I LOVE Americana...

still not feelin it, although this pic helps

03-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.

Avenir still has more goods IMHO

04-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.

To tell you the truth...not from that angle....does the Avenir shine...it looks awkward from the back...the back end...just looks weird after many days of looking at it...but the Continetal looks good in all angles...

Just an opinion...like yours...

Edited by oldshurst442

Rocker panel chrome needs to have perfect fitment, otherwise it has weird reflections, rippling, that kinda thing.

Rocker panel chrome needs to have perfect fitment, otherwise it has weird reflections, rippling, that kinda thing.

OK...that Ill agree to...

But not that North Eastern temps will screw it up...

Oh I have no problemo with the chrome, inside or outside, on the Continental.  I think it is a refreshing change to see a car proud to be American, even if I believe the overall look is British.

Avenir is still a smashing success, and far outshines the Continental overall though.  And is that a Wraith?  SWEET.

One of the problems with Lincoln, they do not have any kind of permanent set of successful styling cues to cling to, because they didn't stick with anything long enough to gain icon status.  Besides the '41 and '61 Continentals, and the '56 and up Mark series, they got NOTHIN'.  Luxury cars like Cadillac, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, BMW and Mercedes all have remained relatively true and recognizable through the decades... Lincoln keeps trying something new and they always seem to fall flat.

If the lower chrome trim is just plated plastic, then yes, it will be too soft to fend off damage from stones.  If it is stainless steel or something of the like (similar to the old-skool cars pictured), then it should stand strong against the elements.

Edited by ocnblu

Oh I have no problemo with the chrome, inside or outside, on the Continental.  I think it is a refreshing change to see a car proud to be American, even if I believe the overall look is British.

Avenir is still a smashing success, and far outshines the Continental overall though.  And is that a Wraith?  SWEET.

Still your opinion though...

And everybody is entitled to one...

I for one...thinks that the Continental far outshines the Avenir...because the Avenir....does look awkward...

Good from far...but faaaaaaaar from good....is all Im sayin'...

And what is that? A Wraith?

A brick of a car that has no style...but costs a fortunes that is why people go goo-goo ga-ga over it....no style is what Im sayin'

At least the Continental is lowered closer to the ground and less of a brick...is alls Im sayin'...

But the Avenir and Wraith does have it beat in one area though...RWD and both are NOT V6s...

I for one...thinks that the Continental far outshines the Avenir...because the Avenir....does look awkward...

A brick of a car that has no style...but costs a fortunes that is why people go goo-goo ga-ga over it....no style is what Im sayin'

At least the Continental is lowered closer to the ground and less of a brick...is alls Im sayin'...

But the Avenir and Wraith does have it beat in one area though...RWD and both are NOT V6s...

Re-read my edited version and see if you got anything else for me.

Re-read my edited version and see if you got anything else for me.

Nah...me likes it this way...

I dont need to re-read your edited version...

One thing I do agree with you is that One Ford Mullaly has killed Lincoln...and before One Ford Mullaly came into power...Lincoln tried many faces...and conitues that path of many faces not sticking to one bloody design language...If they would just keep one and refine it...

Go back to 2002 and see Arts and Science in action....real awkward....it wasnt a smashing success...but enough positive attention was got and Cadillac kept it and refined it...

The many faces of Lincoln...were all POSITIVE too, excpet Lincoln never had the patience to actually stick to one and refine it...

One could moan about the Continental....its a good start...lets just leave it at that...

I wont remind you folk how cheap the frst generation CTS was...and how ugly it was too...but it was polarizing and a Cadillac...and Cadillac took it from there...and remeber...the CTS started off as a Catera...an Opel Omega....the Caddy that Zigs...so...Cadillac dipped their feet into the realm of BMWs...but did not want to commit...then finally...they saw the light...and commited...with the CTS...

So...Lincoln is commited...finally...now that One Ford Mullaly is no longer in charge...so...cut Lincoln some slack...

Edited by oldshurst442

Did you say "the many feces of Lincoln"?  :huh:

How old are you?

My 8 year old son does not even find that funny anymore...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.