Continental at Pebble Beach Concours

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Externally, the chrome is minimal and tasteful and classic Lincoln.

Internally, yeah, it should and will be toned down.  And there will be lessor trim levels too.

Internally, yeah, it should and will be toned down.  And there will be lessor trim levels too.

Okay Wings, I understand you like it but there is no vehicle on the market with chrome side skirs, and front and rear "splitter/diffuser". Nobody could honestly say that is considered minimal. You may think it is tasteful which I will politely disagree with but I don't think anybody is saying it is minimal.

Nice car, needs a Monochromatic version please, Right now my eyes are burning from all the freakin chrome.

110% agree. :o

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Okay Wings, I understand you like it but there is no vehicle on the market with chrome side skirs, and front and rear "splitter/diffuser". Nobody could honestly say that is considered minimal. You may think it is tasteful which I will politely disagree with but I don't think anybody is saying it is minimal.

Nice car, needs a Monochromatic version please, Right now my eyes are burning from all the freakin chrome.

Lincoln’s heritage is rich with gobs of chrome.  Even Continental.  This concept can’t hold a candle to the amount used during most of Lincoln’s past, hence my remark of minimalist.

I think it looks wonderful and tasteful.

I respect your opinion to NOT like it. Please don’t disrespect mine.

One of my fav’s

http://www.schmitt.com/viewimage.asp?ID=4257

Lincoln’s heritage is rich with gobs of chrome.  Even Continental.  This concept can’t hold a candle to the amount used during most of Lincoln’s past, hence my remark of minimalist.

One of my fav’s

I see where you're coming from.

I love the body and lines just not the chrome or at least the amount, for sure.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

One of my fav’s

I see where you're coming from.

I love the body and lines just not the chrome or at least the amount, for sure.

Thank you cap.

And I was a tad harsh it seems.  You are typically one of the objective ones around.

Agree w/ DD ^

That said, if I were in the Lincoln market, I would without hesitation check the box that got me the whole bottom of the car dipped in chrome. :yes:  What's the matter with all you sticks in the mud; monochromatic?? Haven't we sucked the marrow out of that for the last 30 years?

I don't think there is any way they'll do chrome down low on the front and rear air-dams like that.  They'd be trash after 2 days of north east winter and Lincoln would get complaints. 

I dont think so...GM's chrome trim in the 1970s/1980s/1990s held up pretty good in Quebec winters...

Just for a visual of some Cadillacs with chrome trim on the bottom of the cars...

135D02EF-F990-4D64-8ACC-12CBFC2746E5_1.j

fleet2.jpg

And Chevy cars had that chrome trim too...

2078700002_large.jpg

Agree w/ DD ^

That said, if I were in the Lincoln market, I would without hesitation check the box that got me the whole bottom of the car dipped in chrome. :yes:  What's the matter with all you sticks in the mud; monochromatic?? Haven't we sucked the marrow out of that for the last 30 years?

I would also check that option and have me some chrome...

Part of Americana....

I LOVE Americana...

still not feelin it, although this pic helps

03-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.

Avenir still has more goods IMHO

04-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.

To tell you the truth...not from that angle....does the Avenir shine...it looks awkward from the back...the back end...just looks weird after many days of looking at it...but the Continetal looks good in all angles...

Just an opinion...like yours...

Edited by oldshurst442

Oh I have no problemo with the chrome, inside or outside, on the Continental.  I think it is a refreshing change to see a car proud to be American, even if I believe the overall look is British.

Avenir is still a smashing success, and far outshines the Continental overall though.  And is that a Wraith?  SWEET.

One of the problems with Lincoln, they do not have any kind of permanent set of successful styling cues to cling to, because they didn't stick with anything long enough to gain icon status.  Besides the '41 and '61 Continentals, and the '56 and up Mark series, they got NOTHIN'.  Luxury cars like Cadillac, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, BMW and Mercedes all have remained relatively true and recognizable through the decades... Lincoln keeps trying something new and they always seem to fall flat.

If the lower chrome trim is just plated plastic, then yes, it will be too soft to fend off damage from stones.  If it is stainless steel or something of the like (similar to the old-skool cars pictured), then it should stand strong against the elements.

Edited by ocnblu

Oh I have no problemo with the chrome, inside or outside, on the Continental.  I think it is a refreshing change to see a car proud to be American, even if I believe the overall look is British.

Avenir is still a smashing success, and far outshines the Continental overall though.  And is that a Wraith?  SWEET.

Still your opinion though...

And everybody is entitled to one...

I for one...thinks that the Continental far outshines the Avenir...because the Avenir....does look awkward...

Good from far...but faaaaaaaar from good....is all Im sayin'...

And what is that? A Wraith?

A brick of a car that has no style...but costs a fortunes that is why people go goo-goo ga-ga over it....no style is what Im sayin'

At least the Continental is lowered closer to the ground and less of a brick...is alls Im sayin'...

But the Avenir and Wraith does have it beat in one area though...RWD and both are NOT V6s...

I for one...thinks that the Continental far outshines the Avenir...because the Avenir....does look awkward...

A brick of a car that has no style...but costs a fortunes that is why people go goo-goo ga-ga over it....no style is what Im sayin'

At least the Continental is lowered closer to the ground and less of a brick...is alls Im sayin'...

But the Avenir and Wraith does have it beat in one area though...RWD and both are NOT V6s...

Re-read my edited version and see if you got anything else for me.

Re-read my edited version and see if you got anything else for me.

Nah...me likes it this way...

I dont need to re-read your edited version...

One thing I do agree with you is that One Ford Mullaly has killed Lincoln...and before One Ford Mullaly came into power...Lincoln tried many faces...and conitues that path of many faces not sticking to one bloody design language...If they would just keep one and refine it...

Go back to 2002 and see Arts and Science in action....real awkward....it wasnt a smashing success...but enough positive attention was got and Cadillac kept it and refined it...

The many faces of Lincoln...were all POSITIVE too, excpet Lincoln never had the patience to actually stick to one and refine it...

One could moan about the Continental....its a good start...lets just leave it at that...

I wont remind you folk how cheap the frst generation CTS was...and how ugly it was too...but it was polarizing and a Cadillac...and Cadillac took it from there...and remeber...the CTS started off as a Catera...an Opel Omega....the Caddy that Zigs...so...Cadillac dipped their feet into the realm of BMWs...but did not want to commit...then finally...they saw the light...and commited...with the CTS...

So...Lincoln is commited...finally...now that One Ford Mullaly is no longer in charge...so...cut Lincoln some slack...

Edited by oldshurst442

RE the RWD Fleetwood and the Brougham shown, there may be a minor difference RE the chrome there & on the Connie. The Continental is both closer to the ground, has very wide track (vs. the body) and more 'under-tumblehome' that the Cads- it may pick up more stone damage than those earlier cars… but it's a good point; if it's stainless & well fit, it should last fine.

I am lukewarm on the Avenir now. I like it forward of the C-Pillar, but rearward doesn't work for me, even tho it uses great Buick cues. For such a visually long car, the rear deck is way too short. I'd really like to see a long-deck full-size design again.

The Adkins song posted above contains a line I've personally been proclaiming for maybe 20 years "My favorite color is chrome". :D

I don't think there is any way they'll do chrome down low on the front and rear air-dams like that. They'd be trash after 2 days of north east winter and Lincoln would get complaints.

I dont think so...GM's chrome trim in the 1970s/1980s/1990s held up pretty good in Quebec winters...

Just for a visual of some Cadillacs with chrome trim on the bottom of the cars...

135D02EF-F990-4D64-8ACC-12CBFC2746E5_1.j

fleet2.jpg

And Chevy cars had that chrome trim too...

2078700002_large.jpg

Agree w/ DD ^

That said, if I were in the Lincoln market, I would without hesitation check the box that got me the whole bottom of the car dipped in chrome. :yes: What's the matter with all you sticks in the mud; monochromatic?? Haven't we sucked the marrow out of that for the last 30 years?

I would also check that option and have me some chrome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmAAaXI8riY

Part of Americana....

I LOVE Americana...

still not feelin it, although this pic helps

03-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.

Avenir still has more goods IMHO

04-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.

To tell you the truth...not from that angle....does the Avenir shine...it looks awkward from the back...the back end...just looks weird after many days of looking at it...but the Continetal looks good in all angles...

Just an opinion...like yours...

Yup, that works , it's good we have these choices we can pick from

He Buick has hips. Damn love da hips. It's possible if the car is long and wide enough, Buick can dial in the look of the Avenir even more.

They'll prob botch it by putting it on a warmed over epsilon and it will lose its proportions

I love the mid 90's fleet wood where the whole lower half of the car was chrome

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

Blu is right about Merc not having signature cues. The mark coupe, last one had the rear hump. This new thing most folks seeing it in a picture first time would have no idea what it is.

And most folks not realizing its a Lincoln is a good thing...

Most modern folks in 2015 dont really have any emotional ties to Lincoln...

The last time modern new millennium society had any real strong emotional ties to a Lincoln was with first and second generation Navigators...and the Lincoln LS sedan...even the Aviator (mini-Navigator) failed to move the needle on the emotional scale...

So...like I said...this Continental is a good start for Lincoln to get back some emotion from the people...even if most of those people dont know its a Lincoln...which I happen to think its a good thing...

WHY?

Lincoln does not have to go down the Oldsmobile and Buick way of self-insulting themselves in commercials  like "This aint your father's Oldsmobile" and "That's NOT a Buick!"  Lincoln will use the Continental's beautiful lines to do the talking...

And in my honest opinion...I really dont see THAT much Bentley in the design...maybe a little...but not enough that Bentley went ape shyte on Lincoln...

To tell you the truth...I think Bentley realized just how much bland their cars really are and were taken by surprise that a Continental....Lincoln Continental show car could look more majestic than ANY Bentley....ever...just my opinion....

And yeah...I dont really go goo-goo ga-ga over Bentleys....ANY Bentley...ever!

And I really dont care how much they cost to buy...'cause if I had Jay Leno money...Bentley would NOT be my first choice...or second choice...or third, fourth, fifth, and sixth choice for a luxury car purchase...too square lookin'...I mean than literally and figuratively...and yeah...if Lincoln builds that Continental like what we actually see in the pics...Id rather own that than a Bentley...money be damned...

Rocker panel chrome needs to have perfect fitment, otherwise it has weird reflections, rippling, that kinda thing.

OK...that Ill agree to...

But not that North Eastern temps will screw it up...

It's not the temps, it's the ice and salt. 

Also, chrome ain't what it use to be.  The chrome posted above in those older GM cars is on actual metal (the shaped Cadillac is polished stainless steel rather than chrome technically).  They can't really do old style chrome anymore because it is horribly pollutive during the process. 

Let me go on record as saying I did not like the bustleback Seville.  If something as grand as the Avenir were to grace a Buick showroom and provide a flagship worthy of the brand, I would hope the deck would be a bit longer.  But at least in its current form it is not so much without romance as the Continental is in general shape.

Rocker panel chrome needs to have perfect fitment, otherwise it has weird reflections, rippling, that kinda thing.

OK...that Ill agree to...

But not that North Eastern temps will screw it up...

It's not the temps, it's the ice and salt. 

Also, chrome ain't what it use to be.  The chrome posted above in those older GM cars is on actual metal (the shaped Cadillac is polished stainless steel rather than chrome technically).  They can't really do old style chrome anymore because it is horribly pollutive during the process. 

I was referring to salt...I said temps...but I got the message you are trying to convey...between Balthazar, El K and yourself...I now got a better understanding of how it may not work...and how it should be done to make it work.

Or is it because some of us are still at grade school level reading...and that is why we may doze off...

Ill start posting more pics and less words then...for some posters...

How did you know I was talking about you?  :smilewide:

Or is it because some of us are still at grade school level reading...and that is why we may doze off...

Ill start posting more pics and less words then...for some posters...

How did you know I was talking about you?  :smilewide:

Because I have a habit of being long winded...

I take after my mother. You know the kind...Greek mothers, that always have a story to tell...

Besides...I have gotten compliments of my long windedness before...

You really are the first to whine about it... :hissyfit: ...and throw a shoe my way... :duck:

In to which I decided to give you the middle finger...rude_emoticon_finger_tile_coaster.jpg?hetwo middle fingers...all in the name of fun of course...

Peace out..._200_d65f0722e3f694645b4b654a9543457f.jp

I think the Continental looks a bit like a jelly bean.  The Avenir has a terrible rear end, it is part SUV and part Panamera.  And the Panamera might be the ugliest sedan on the market.

You may have just completely ruined the Avenir for me. It has a very similar body shape to the Panamera..which is one of the ugliest sedans on the market.

$h! 

Edited by ccap41

I think the Continental looks a bit like a jelly bean.  The Avenir has a terrible rear end, it is part SUV and part Panamera.  And the Panamera might be the ugliest sedan on the market.

You may have just completely ruined the Avenir for me. It has a very similar body shape to the Panamera..which is one of the ugliest sedans on the market.

$h! 

It looks ten times better than the Panamera. GM needs to just build the damn thing already.

Until we see the production version of the Continental and get a price tag I don't think we can evaluate it at all.  A lot gets cut from concept to production on any car, and you can't predict how it will sell until you know what it costs.  People thought the Cadillac Converg concept was cool, then the ELR got priced at $75k and was DOA. 

Edited by smk4565

$h! 

It looks ten times better than the Panamera. GM needs to just build the damn thing already.

It still has a very very similar body line. Long front end, 4 door cabin, short and slopey hatch...

Edited by ccap41

I think the most troubling thing I've read about this car so far was over in the Taurus thread where someone suggested that killing the Taurus would actually send sales to this thing.

That would indicate to me that someone has NO IDEA how luxury car buyers think. Hopefully, they have no sway in how Ford goes about trying to market this car.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I think the most troubling thing I've read about this car so far was over in the Taurus thread where someone suggested that killing the Taurus would actually send sales to this thing.

That would indicate to me that someone has NO IDEA how luxury car buyers think. Hopefully, they have no sway in how Ford goes about trying to market this car.

Show of hands for anyone who thinks that nobody will consider a $55K Conti, after realizing the $50K SHO is no longer available.

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Removed personal attacks

Show of hands for anyone who thinks that nobody will consider a $55K Conti, after realizing the $50K SHO is no longer available.

...which is precisely my point, really.

Lincoln: hyping Taurus replacements because we STILL DON'T GET IT.

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Removed personal attacks

People looking to but a luxury car wouldn't consider a large conventional one. By the same token, only Costco-luxury buyers would consider buying a Continental over a Taurus... unless the Taurus (Fusion?) connection is already established.

Edited by El Kabong