'14 Regal with 3800V6?

Robert Hall

There is a guy on a FB page claiming he bought a new '14 Regal w/ the 3800V6...I thought the current Regals were 4cyl only, and that the 3800 went out of production in '08.   He claims it was special order and that it was a China option (he's in Michigan and claims he was able to get it built because his family owns a bunch of Buick dealerships..)  

Sounds like total BS, but is it plausible? 

He posted a pic of the car and a pic of the engine in an engine compartment of the same color.  This guy presents himself on FB as a automotive know-it-all, but I think he's just another asshole.  Supposedly has a large collection of vintage cars and is an heir to the Meijer store chain...

I suppose a dealer could install a NOS or crate engine in a new car for one of their owners, but would a 3800 even fit in a Epsilon II? 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

There is ZERO chance that a 90 degree V6 is going to fit in the 2014 Regal.  I don't care how much money you have, you're not getting a 90 degree V6 into it.  The 60 degree 2.8 Turbo barely fits in the Opel Insignia.  You are also correct about the year the 3800 stopped production.

You can shut down the "China option" talk really quick with this link - http://www.buick.com.cn/newregal/specifications.aspx  The Regal in China only comes with the 2.0T or the 1.6T. Cars with more then 2 liters of displacement have huge taxes levied on them, so much so that even the XTS has a 2.0T as it's main engine there.

You also cannot bring cars into the US for sale that are not EPA certified, and since GM would not have bothered to EPA certify a 3800 powered 2014 Regal, even if such a thing existed in China, the EPA and DHS would likely want to have a conversation with him

In shorter terms: He's a troll.... shut him down.

• Agree 1

He posted a pic of the car and a pic of the engine in an engine compartment of the same color.  This guy presents himself on FB as a automotive know-it-all, but I think he's just another asshole.  Supposedly has a large collection of vintage cars and is an heir to the Meijer store chain...

I suppose a dealer could install a NOS or crate engine in a new car for one of their owners, but would a 3800 even fit in a Epsilon II? 

I don't think a 3800 powered 2014 Regal is the only tall tale he's told.

• Agree 1

Why would anyone want a 3800 in a new Regal? The 2.0T is lighter and makes more power.

His claim was he knows the 3800 is more reliable and claims he put 780k on his 97 Park Ave w the 3800. But he also claimed the 90s Roadmaster had the 3800 as the base engine...I think he's a wealthy crackpot.

There has never been a 3800 2014 Regal built by GM, Buick period no matter how much money you have.

Now if there is some idiot who has more money than sense out there that paid someone to do it then that is another story but this guy is full of BS and nothing more. But as we know everything on the web is true.

​I also know the 90 Degree v6 would never fit in that car. The Opel I believe is a 60 degree V6 and it was also never used in the Regal as it was not US certified and it would have run the cost up too high on a Regal.

China has no V6.

This guy was just another idiot on the road of life.

​I would bet he has done a wheelie with his car too even with FWD.

​We had a guy in collage with a 6 cylinder Duster and he made all sorts of crazy claims. We would BS him up and he would top any wild story we told him. I think he was a little unstable.

Drew did GM still even build the 3800 in 2014. I thought it went out with the Impala when they changed to the 3600 DOHC.

• Agree 1

There has never been a 3800 2014 Regal built by GM, Buick period no matter how much money you have.

Now if there is some idiot who has more money than sense out there that paid someone to do it then that is another story but this guy is full of BS and nothing more. But as we know everything on the web is true.

​I also know the 90 Degree v6 would never fit in that car. The Opel I believe is a 60 degree V6 and it was also never used in the Regal as it was not US certified and it would have run the cost up too high on a Regal.

China has no V6.

​We had a guy in collage with a 6 cylinder Duster and he made all sorts of crazy claims. We would BS him up and he would top any wild story we told him. I think he was a little unstable.

Drew did GM still even build the 3800 in 2014. I thought it went out with the Impala when they changed to the 3600 DOHC.

Nope, the Impala was 3400 and 3900 by then.  The last year of the 3800 was the 2008 Lucerne... that was the last North American vehicle to carry it. Impala dropped the 3800 after 2005.

• Agree 1

China has no V6.

Kind of what I thought

I thought the GP last has one in 2008 too.

Edited by hyperv6

Id also like to mention that  the 2008 Buick Lucerne was also a recipient of the 3800. Just so the Lucerne gets a wittle wove from somebody...

I personally preferred the Olds Aurora 4.0 V8 and the Pontiac Bonneville with the 3800 L67 or the 4.6 NorthStar that was put into it in its last days...and THAT is why I felt compelled to mention the Lucerne, as I suspect there arent too many people that cared for the Lucerne...

Wow...  That is out there.  I know the 90's Buick Roadmaster did not offer the 3800 V6.  It offered the 5.7 350 Liter V8.  I missed the 3800, but I know it has been out of production a long long time.  I owe two GM cars with two different versions of the 3800.  I have series I and Series II.  This guy is not telling the truth.

I was always someone who actually liked the way the Lucerne looked, even in the beige colour.

It worked. 

And seriously, the new Lacrosse looks more like a reimagined Lucerne than a Lacrosse. And I'm just fascinated by that. 

In a way it the new Lacrosse does look like it could be the next generation Lucerne rather than the next generation Lacrosse...

And let us not forget that the 2nd gen Lacrosse replaced both the Lucerne and the W-Body Lacrosse/Century/Regal...

Wow...Buick has come a loooong way since 2008/2009....full circle...

The circle is now complete     ( :palm: OK OK...Ill spare you folk with the needless Star Wars plugs)

• Agree 1

I was always someone who actually liked the way the Lucerne looked, even in the beige colour.

It worked. 

And seriously, the new Lacrosse looks more like a reimagined Lucerne than a Lacrosse. And I'm just fascinated by that. 

In a way it the new Lacrosse does look like it could be the next generation Lucerne rather than the next generation Lacrosse...

And let us not forget that the 2nd gen Lacrosse replaced both the Lucerne and the W-Body Lacrosse/Century/Regal...

The circle is now complete     ( :palm: OK OK...Ill spare you folk with the needless Star Wars plugs)

:heart: me some re-imagined Buick Lucerne. 

Holy $h!. I have a sudden craving to get the new Lacrosse, and just change the badge on the back to Lucerne because the feels.

Again, I think I've mentioned it before...I really like Buick and just the stealth wealth that it used to be. I like stealth. Lacrosse GNX FTW!!!

It worked. 

:heart: me some re-imagined Buick Lucerne. 

Holy $h!. I have a sudden craving to get the new Lacrosse, and just change the badge on the back to Lucerne because the feels.

Again, I think I've mentioned it before...I really like Buick and just the stealth wealth that it used to be. I like stealth. Lacrosse GNX FTW!!!

Well my Expectations for the future are a little more than a Lacrosse GNX.  To be honest I think the new car is just a small conservative beginning to where this is all going.

I will repeat watch for more on Buicks White Noise Approach. This is something I think will shock many including long time GM fans. With Opel, Holden and Vauxhall in the mix I expect to see some very dramatic and different more market driven cars come to Buick. You know the why can't we get that here kind of cars.

I would forget any coupe all in black with a GN name though. What we will see will be more in tune to take on an Audi than a Mustang.

​The Lucerne was a nice car but a lot of years and a lot of much better cars have come and gone since then. The market is not so much willing to accept just that kind of car anymore. Expect more handling and performance.

Edited by hyperv6

As for the 3800 the oil leaks are coming back to bite GM. I know all of mine ran fine but I had ail leak and manifold leak issues on all threee. It was not a big deal for me but for the average owner it was a anoyance.  It is good they have many on the roads yet but it also is going to create more that will be recalled.

I do like where the new LaCrosse looks to be going...and like the Avenir concept.   I think the 'quiet luxury' angle is a good way to differentiate themselves from Cadillac and the more 'flashy performance luxury' approach that the Germans focus on. 

I do like where the new LaCrosse looks to be going...and like the Avenir concept.   I think the 'quiet luxury' angle is a good way to differentiate themselves from Cadillac and the more 'flashy performance luxury' approach that the Germans focus on. 

This will be a good solid foundation to build on but they will surround it with cars that will take risk and help change what Buick is in the minds of many. Audi has cars like the new Lacrosse but they have a wider variety of other models too. I expect to see similar mix.

I see Cadillac being more true to the American styling but with a global performance metric. With Buick I see them going a more Euro like route with hints of America. Smaller engines, AWD and a mix of sedans, a coupe/convertible, hatch, wagon and for America the SUV/CUV lines.

​Kind of look to Audi's line up but with Buick styling less the R8.

I wish they would promote their AWD line like Audi did the Quattro. That changed a lot of minds about Audi.

I wish they would promote their AWD line like Audi did the Quattro. That changed a lot of minds about Audi.

Indeed. There are only two Buicks without AWD... Cacada and Verano.... and Verano may get it next model.

In the end I expect it on most of their models unless they so some odd sports model or hatch that Opel does not offer it on.

• 1 month later...

3800 V6 is a fine motor, my parents 00 Regal has a guestimated 250k miles.  No 14 Regals of course with it lol. 

Anyway, I ope we see the Avista in a couple years.  Make AWD Available with the 30.TT or 3.6TT and it would be an excellent S5 competitor. 

China has no V6.

Nope, the Impala was 3400 and 3900 by then.  The last year of the 3800 was the 2008 Lucerne... that was the last North American vehicle to carry it. Impala dropped the 3800 after 2005.

China has no V6.

That's the first thing I thought of. The 3800 has been out of production for years. It was also never offered in China AFAIK.

Edited by VenSeattle

China has no V6.

China has no V6.

That's the first thing I thought of. The 3800 has been out of production for years. It was also never offered in China AFAIK.

Welcome back Ven!

• Agree 1

Welcome back Ven!

Thank you! I'm regaining my sea legs. Plenty of new features and forum categories. I intend to stick around. I'm tired of my sabbatical. :-)

Great! Wait till you see what we've got in store for this year!  In August we'll be 15 years old and I've got some big changes in the works for it. 

• Agree 1