Suaviloquent

For the privileged: The S-Class Coupe Convertible Driven

44 posts in this topic

Suaviloquent    713

It’s hard to imagine having a bank account fat enough to afford a $177,325 Mercedes-AMG S63 4Matic Cabriolet. It’s even harder trying to wrap your brain around the idea while cruising through Nice, France, and Monaco, where the sun tans beautiful jet-setters year round and where multimillion-dollar yachts and homes dot the coastline like salt on tortilla chips. (Yes, they’re everywhere.) But that’s exactly the scenario Mercedes-Benz presented media during the launch of the all-new $132,325 S550 Cabriolet (we drove S500 Cabs, though they’ll be badged S550 in the U.S.) and the aforementioned S63 Cab. And far be it for me to not give it the ol’ all-American try.

Read more at: http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-mercedes-benz-s-class-cabriolet-first-drive-review/

So.... Look at THAT:

2017-Mercedes-Benz-S500-cabriolet-310-87

Suaviloquent    713

Yes. Mercedes gets to build Mercedes Pretendz and this at the same thaaame....

I'm pretty sure it's this or a Bentley Continental GT Convertible or Rolls Royce Dawn or whatever that they make...

Now I'm not sure this is even a profitable car, but again they have something for everyone. And this car obviously delivers practically anything the competition has to offer for atleast half the price or even less. But it cannot offer the brand image of being British and being a barge.

Hey, I bet it's hundreds of pounds lighter than the competition... not that it matters. What I'm trying to say is that the mortals who actually can acquire these kinds of cars want their car to weigh more not less, and they want bespoke everything...

smk4565    321

I guarantee that make profit on this car.  S-class is the Daimler gold mine.  I would have liked to see this car a bit longer and with the sedan grille.  I think it would have looked more imposing.  I feel like all S-classes, even the coupe should have the raised hood ornament, it just seems more old school and upper end.  You'll never see a Rolls with a grill logo, they put it on the hood like classic luxury of yore.

I will read the article tomorrow, the S65 convertible is $248,000, there is your profit margin, and these guys still make V12 monsters, which is great to see.

Suaviloquent    713

It doesn't even matter if it makes money or not. I believe it is a gold mine too.

The competition in this segment is kinda sparse, but also of no consequence.

If you can buy one, why not buy them all, right?

balthazar    1,875

Such a shame they glued the same nose from their ratty $30K FWD sedan on this, it should have unique design for the price. How about something from one of MB's many concepts they never produce?

Rear end is hella bland, but they did one thing right: a flush trunk lid.

• Upvote 1

dfelt    1,773

WOW, talk about a bland looking auto. Nothing to inspire me as a luxury car. MB has NO MOJO in style anymore. Worse yet is the interiors are very questionable. Perfect example is look at that cheap little screen in the headrest on the white auto bove. 

Not only do these cars NOT have room for adults in the back seat, I doubt kids will be back there watching something on those tiny screens on a sunny day listening to it.

Wasted way to just charge money for something I doubt will ever get used but is a check off box for MB.

Such a shame they glued the same nose from their ratty $30K FWD sedan on this, it should have unique design for the price. How about something from one of MB's many concepts they never produce?

I was gonna say the same thing. ON the flip.. the S-Class Coupe sans teh front is the only Benz I would consider as attractive and mostly BECAUSE of the rear.

smk4565    321

Such a shame that Cadillac does not have a full size convertible. The Ocean Drive concept showed the possibility of a full size convertible and Mercedes delivered one.

dfelt    1,773

Such a shame that Cadillac does not have a full size convertible. The Ocean Drive concept showed the possibility of a full size convertible and Mercedes delivered one.

So then while you bash at Cadillac as always for not having one in the early years of rebuilding their image, you say nothing about a cheap ass nose put on the front end of an over priced bland auto!

When does MB need to start making a difference between their top of the line and the bottom of the line auto's in terms of looks / style?

balthazar    1,875

When does MB need to start making a difference between their top of the line and the bottom of the line auto's in terms of looks / style?

Maybe Chevy should put the Spark's nose on the next generation Corvette.

smk4565    321

WOW, talk about a bland looking auto. Nothing to inspire me as a luxury car. MB has NO MOJO in style anymore. Worse yet is the interiors are very questionable. Perfect example is look at that cheap little screen in the headrest on the white auto bove. 

Not only do these cars NOT have room for adults in the back seat, I doubt kids will be back there watching something on those tiny screens on a sunny day listening to it.

Wasted way to just charge money for something I doubt will ever get used but is a check off box for MB.

They are not video screens on the seat back, it is the air intake for Airscarf. I don't think they even offer back seat video screens on any of their 2 door cars.

smk4565    321

They put the Camaro's nose on the Sonic. I actually don't love the S-class coupe grill, I think the sedan grille is better. I'd like to see the Maybach S600 front on the coupe and convertible.

balthazar    1,875

Ocean Drive concept came out TEN YEARS ago.

And this isn't that; yet another concept car mercedes won't build.

balthazar    1,875

They put the Camaro's nose on the Sonic. 

Let's take a look at this knucklehead claim :

2016-Chevy-Sonic-front.jpg

a3bb3e899043d875cbf6200d3154373d.jpg

Now; my claim that MB just recycles the same nose :

cla-45-amg-front.jpg?itok=GmY91OLC

2016-mercedes-s-class-con-8_600x0w.jpg

You cannot tell them apart without seeing the side/ reading the rear.

It's WEAK.

surreal1272    670

They put the Camaro's nose on the Sonic. I actually don't love the S-class coupe grill, I think the sedan grille is better. I'd like to see the Maybach S600 front on the coupe and convertible.

You might want to put that pipe down because clearly they look NOTHING alike. Just sounds like you hate a dose of the truth. That CLA nose does not belong on a $175K+ S-Class ANYTHING. If this were about Cadillac, you would be having a field day with that fact. 

surreal1272    670

You cheated balty! Those are both S Class Convertibles! 

No they are not (unless you were being funny there).

CLA:

Mercedes-Benz-CLA250-front.jpg

S Class Coupe

2014-Mercedes-s-class-coupe-grille.jpg

They put the Camaro's nose on the Sonic. 

Let's take a look at this knucklehead claim :

2016-Chevy-Sonic-front.jpg

a3bb3e899043d875cbf6200d3154373d.jpg

Now; my claim that MB just recycles the same nose :

cla-45-amg-front.jpg?itok=GmY91OLC

2016-mercedes-s-class-con-8_600x0w.jpg

You cannot tell them apart without seeing the side/ reading the rear.

It's WEAK.

Bless his heart. He tried Balt but it is clear as day. The Camaro and Sonic don't share anything up front. Not even close when compare to the CLA vs. the S Class Coupe.

ccap41    1,161

lol I was being a smartass because how similar they ARE.  The front clips look identical. The biggest difference is the hood on the two. The S class remains long and low and the CLA jumps up at a 90 degree angle to stuff the FWD engine in there. 

• Upvote 1

balthazar    1,875

I don't get it RE the CLA <> Scoupe.

No effort there. 'One song, I sing it all day long'. 'Hey, he just bought a brand new mercedes CLA…whoops!, it's an S-class coupe! My bad, yo!'

dfelt    1,773

They are not video screens on the seat back, it is the air intake for Airscarf. I don't think they even offer back seat video screens on any of their 2 door cars.

OK, I can appreciate new tech, but having never heard of an Airscarf, what is it supposed to do? Cool the driver / riders neck?

I am being honest here, I have no idea what this is or the purpose as in the picture to me and yes I do wear glasses, it looks like a small video screen.

Appreciate the explanation. :)

smk4565    321

Airscarf is offered on all Mercedes convertibles, came out a few years ago.  It blows hot air around the driver's neck and shoulders, so you can drive with the top down in cooler weather.  That combined with the AirCap spoiler thing on top of the wind shield and the wind diffuser behind the back seat, keeps you comfortable in all season.

Airscarf is built into the seat though, so it takes the air in from behind the seat and heats it and blows it out.  It isn't run off the car's HVAC system fans.

oldshurst442    985

Lets get back to discuss how bland this convertible is.

Like I said about the coupe. I dont like the coupe, and I dont like the convertible.

Because they are too conservative.

With that being said. Maybe THIS car aint marketed towards testosterone abundundant, sexually charged hormonal teenaged males hocked up on steroids looking at playboy magazines instead of doing their homework. (Yes....I still view myself this way, although Im 43 years old, play pitch and catch with my daughter for a couple of hours and havent had sex in 3 months, because still happily married to the same woman for the last 13 years....)

Yeah, this car aint for me...but then again, a Trans Am convertible with all kinds of curves and nostrils and sex appeal...like this one:

FL0116-236875_1.jpg

aint for me either anymore....the T/A  is too much of a horn dog.

In other words....I dont know what the hell I want!

Suaviloquent    713

Actually almost all of the auto press is fine with how the CLA looks. That's not the issue.

It's just the way it drives. I'm okay with the way the CLA looks and damn well everyone in the luxury segment does this.

You have the same Audi R8 grille that shows up on the MQB based Audi TT.

Design sharing, especially that even Cadillac now subscribes to the one size fits all mentality, is a problem of the entire industry. 

balthazar    1,875

Actually almost all of the auto press is fine with how the CLA looks.

I'm okay with the way the CLA looks and damn well everyone in the luxury segment does this.

You have the same Audi R8 grille that shows up on the MQB based Audi TT.

A 5-yr old would know these are 2 different cars :

02-rieger-a3-8v-audi-full-front-bumper.j

236055.jpg

No where near the identical appearance of the MB CLA & S.

Not the same thing, remotely.

• Upvote 1

Suaviloquent    713

And how is the Audi A3 an Audi TT?

And the CLA is itself is meant to be a swoopy sedan not unlike the larger CLS. Which itself is another on of those cars that are meant to be a coupe. 

This is a Mercedes coupe. Non-paying, non existent customers are preaching to the choir. 

I fail to see this grille choice as deal-breaking issue. The grille itself is made of some precious stones and metal.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Genesis is slowly building out its lineup of vehicles with a compact sedan called the G70 coming soon, along with a variety of SUVs and a coupe. We now have an idea of the possible names for these upcoming models.
      Motor Authority has found various trademark filings done by Genesis for the United States Patent and Trademark Office. First up, Genesis has filed trademarks on GV60, GV70, and GV80. This is for their upcoming lineup of SUVs which first saw previewed the GV80 concept earlier this year at New York. Genesis has said their SUVs will use GV and a number for naming. 
      We know that Genesis is working on a coupe that is due to arrive in 2020 and it could be wearing a GT nameplate. Genesis has filed trademark applications for GT60, GT70, GT80, and GT90.
      Finally, Motor Authority found a filing for the G60 trademark. This could possibly hint at a subcompact model of some sort.
      As with all stories dealing with trademarks, this doesn't mean vehicles will appear with these names. But we can count on some of the GV names appearing on future models.
      Source: Motor Authority

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Genesis is slowly building out its lineup of vehicles with a compact sedan called the G70 coming soon, along with a variety of SUVs and a coupe. We now have an idea of the possible names for these upcoming models.
      Motor Authority has found various trademark filings done by Genesis for the United States Patent and Trademark Office. First up, Genesis has filed trademarks on GV60, GV70, and GV80. This is for their upcoming lineup of SUVs which first saw previewed the GV80 concept earlier this year at New York. Genesis has said their SUVs will use GV and a number for naming. 
      We know that Genesis is working on a coupe that is due to arrive in 2020 and it could be wearing a GT nameplate. Genesis has filed trademark applications for GT60, GT70, GT80, and GT90.
      Finally, Motor Authority found a filing for the G60 trademark. This could possibly hint at a subcompact model of some sort.
      As with all stories dealing with trademarks, this doesn't mean vehicles will appear with these names. But we can count on some of the GV names appearing on future models.
      Source: Motor Authority
    • By William Maley
      Almost a month ago, Volvo made the announcement that it will be spinning off Polestar into its own automaker focusing on high-performance electric vehicles. At the time, plans on products would be announced this fall. But Autocar has learned from a source about one of those projects.
      The first model is expected to be a coupe, sporting a plug-in hybrid powertrain with 600 horsepower. While the original announcement said the new brand would focus on electric vehicles, sources at Volvo and Polestar say the brand will also focus on high-performance plug-in hybrid powertrains. As we have reported previously, Polestar will share “technological and engineering” efforts with Volvo. This likely means Polestar's new models will use Volvo's modular platforms.
      Autocar says the coupe could debut this fall at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Almost a month ago, Volvo made the announcement that it will be spinning off Polestar into its own automaker focusing on high-performance electric vehicles. At the time, plans on products would be announced this fall. But Autocar has learned from a source about one of those projects.
      The first model is expected to be a coupe, sporting a plug-in hybrid powertrain with 600 horsepower. While the original announcement said the new brand would focus on electric vehicles, sources at Volvo and Polestar say the brand will also focus on high-performance plug-in hybrid powertrains. As we have reported previously, Polestar will share “technological and engineering” efforts with Volvo. This likely means Polestar's new models will use Volvo's modular platforms.
      Autocar says the coupe could debut this fall at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
      Source: Autocar

• By William Maley
      Usually, an automaker will announce they are ending production of a certain model. BMW didn't do that when it stopped production of the 6-Series coupe back in February.
      Road & Track got confirmation about this change from a BMW spokesperson. No reason was given as to why production of the coupe ended, but it is a safe bet that low sales played a role in this decision.
      This only adds fuel to the fire about reports that BMW is working on an 8-Series coupe. Our last report back in October said the company was planning to launch the 8-Series in late 2018 with the coupe. A convertible and V12 would follow sometime thereafter. Because of this, the 6-Series coupe and convertible would not be replaced. 
      Source: Road & Track

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)