• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

GM News: GM to Offer Stop-Start on Most of Their Lineup By 2020

General Motors is planning to expand the use of start-stop systems across most of their range by 2020 in an effort to improve fleetwide fuel economy. The plan will see at one powertrain combination offered in a vehicle to have this system. Stop-start systems work by turning off the engine when the vehicle isn't moving. When the driver removes his/her foot from the brake, the engine will kick back on.

This move comes as the EPA will start handing out credits towards compliance with corporate average fuel economy standards to automakers who use this system in their vehicles next year.

"Everyone will end up adding start-stop. Now there's a benefit in the EPA cycle, which there wasn't a few years ago. GM's new nine- and 10-speed automatic transmissions have been engineered from the beginning to incorporate start-stop. That will make it much easier and much smoother. That's what's been the holdup. First it was a regulatory issue, then it was a hardware issue," said AutoPacific analyst Dave Sullivan.

GM spokesman Tom Read tells Automotive News that vehicles equipped with the stop-start system will use absorbent glass mat batteries (AGM) and tandem solenoid starters to enable faster and smoother restarts.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

a friend took me in his 14 malibu for a ride and it had start stop......worked pretty well.  

All that said, I WANT A SWITCH TO TURN IT OFF IF I WANT.....

reasons- 

winter (i don't care that it turns itself off at a certain temp)

when your car ages and may have trouble running, why would you want something that deliberately shuts off the car

continual stop and start is hard on vehicle components and fluids, turning off start stop would reduce wear

Not being able to turn off the start / stop = federal overreach

• Upvote 2

Your final point about reducing wear is exactly backwards and out of date. The GM system keeps the oil pressurized, The engine fires nearly instantly with direct injection, and in the case of the BAS system, the regular starter is not used.

Wonder how well it will hold up over time...

Thinking it should last 200k like the rest of the car....

• Upvote 1

In the eAssist systems, it's just a giant alternator that can also be a 15 horsepower electric motor, attached to the crank pulley via a thicker than normal serpentine belt.  The technical difference is so minor..... it's nothing to worry about.  The current start/stop system is just the old eAssist system with a smaller battery and smaller alternator/motor which doesn't assist the engine during acceleration.

Given all of GM's other troubles over the past 10 years, the fact that we've heard basically nothing bad about the reliability of eAssist should tell us something. 

That said... this announcement sounds like a different setup than the eAssist in that it runs through the transmission instead, making it more of a traditional starter.

Your final point about reducing wear is exactly backwards and out of date. The GM system keeps the oil pressurized, The engine fires nearly instantly with direct injection, and in the case of the BAS system, the regular starter is not used.

That is very good to know.

Although I would still appreciate a switch to be able to turn it off. And if the system is as seamless as they make it sound, then I'll never turn it off. 

Although I would still appreciate a switch to be able to turn it off. And if the system is as seamless as they make it sound, then I'll never turn it off. 

It takes about half a day to get used to it.... and that was even on the jittery Benz version.

same here, it should be user control.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let me make this clear from the start I am not a fan of the start stop.  I too wish for a delete button. 

Now let me get to the truth about the system. GM has one of if not the best system out there. It is smooth and is pretty much not noticeable unless you really are looking for it. [Even I have to admit my reluctance is petty] 

The cars today get up to temp in the matter of a mile or so and will get to temp even faster moving ahead. Fast warm up is key to lower emissions and that is a focus of all companies. 

The system has proven durable in the older cars and trucks with it. While rare they have not seen any major issues. 

Wear is a falsehood by those who really are not up on the system or systems out today. 

The delete button is much like the Skip shift. It has to be on full time to be considered by the EPA to get the MPG listed. Now with that said I would not be shocked if Jet or Hypertech may make a OBDII plug in that may defeat the shut down if you so choose. GM will not fight them on it in the aftermarket. 

The only real negative is if something does go out it could be a bit pricey to replace but on today's cars most things are pricey. But even then how often have you had to replace a starter lately. I have had going on 30 cars over the years and only had two go out on late 68 and 70 Chevy. 

It has gotten to the point where cars may run longer but when they do wear parts out their worth is less than the value of a change of a cam belt or other mechanical issue anymore. I suspect the used car market may be in for some changes with high mileage hybrids and higher tech cars in need of repair. 

Many will be parted out and may lead to even more salvage parts being sold by dismantlers.

As for the stop start it is seen where most companies will have it on 75% or more of their cars from most MFG. The deal is you are going to get it no matter if you like it or not.  

At some point these will become the norm and we may notice more the cars that do not shut off than the ones that do. 

• Upvote 1

I would definitely weigh it as a negative in any future purchase.

In the eAssist systems, it's just a giant alternator that can also be a 15 horsepower electric motor, attached to the crank pulley via a thicker than normal serpentine belt.  The technical difference is so minor..... it's nothing to worry about.  The current start/stop system is just the old eAssist system with a smaller battery and smaller alternator/motor which doesn't assist the engine during acceleration.

Given all of GM's other troubles over the past 10 years, the fact that we've heard basically nothing bad about the reliability of eAssist should tell us something. 

That said... this announcement sounds like a different setup than the eAssist in that it runs through the transmission instead, making it more of a traditional starter.

Yeah, kinda what I figure as well. GM does not always tend to be on the forefront of stuff, but tends to make sure it is right and solid when it comes out....

Let me make this clear from the start I am not a fan of the start stop.  I too wish for a delete button. 

Now let me get to the truth about the system. GM has one of if not the best system out there. It is smooth and is pretty much not noticeable unless you really are looking for it. [Even I have to admit my reluctance is petty] 

The cars today get up to temp in the matter of a mile or so and will get to temp even faster moving ahead. Fast warm up is key to lower emissions and that is a focus of all companies. 

The system has proven durable in the older cars and trucks with it. While rare they have not seen any major issues. 

Wear is a falsehood by those who really are not up on the system or systems out today. 

The delete button is much like the Skip shift. It has to be on full time to be considered by the EPA to get the MPG listed. Now with that said I would not be shocked if Jet or Hypertech may make a OBDII plug in that may defeat the shut down if you so choose. GM will not fight them on it in the aftermarket. 

The only real negative is if something does go out it could be a bit pricey to replace but on today's cars most things are pricey. But even then how often have you had to replace a starter lately. I have had going on 30 cars over the years and only had two go out on late 68 and 70 Chevy. 

It has gotten to the point where cars may run longer but when they do wear parts out their worth is less than the value of a change of a cam belt or other mechanical issue anymore. I suspect the used car market may be in for some changes with high mileage hybrids and higher tech cars in need of repair. 

Many will be parted out and may lead to even more salvage parts being sold by dismantlers.

As for the stop start it is seen where most companies will have it on 75% or more of their cars from most MFG. The deal is you are going to get it no matter if you like it or not.  

At some point these will become the norm and we may notice more the cars that do not shut off than the ones that do. 

yup, and despite all that, like a traction control switch, it still would be desired to have the control to turn it off.

• Upvote 1

I am so glad the 2016 Spark has a switch to turn off the traction control to enable more epic burnouts and a better chance of continued forward motion in deep snow, sand or mud.

• Upvote 1

Well by then it will be like Seat Belts as you may not have many options otherwise.  

This is an industry wide deal and it is going to be found nearly everywhere. 

Well by then it will be like Seat Belts as you may not have many options otherwise.  

And seat belts can be worn or not worn. ;) (legal ramifications are another story) 

• Upvote 1

And seat belts can be worn or not worn. ;) (legal ramifications are another story) 

The bottom line is legally they will have to have it with no defeat switch to count as a EPA boost to MPG. 

No different than the skip shift on the Vette. 

Now I can see a plug in for the OBDII that could disable it. The after market will provide what the MFG can not do. 

In other words don't get worked up over it as there will be a work around. Besides by the time you buy one they may be very common and well sorted. I hate it too but I have seen these dilemmas come and go many times. 

Good god the people got their panties in a wad over cars with Fuel Injection when it came out. It was Oh my god we will never be able to modify them again. Well Look around now. 

I hope there is an off switch as well.

These are good for time you sit a long time at a red light, or sit in a fast food drive through or something like that when you are doing mostly sitting.  But they they start shutting the ending off for 2 seconds at a stop sign they get annoying.

I had a '16 Malibu in Ohio last week, the start/stop was pretty smooth and unobtrusive.   Though in really hot weather it would be annoying to have the A/C cut in and out. 

I had a '16 Malibu in Ohio last week, the start/stop was pretty smooth and unobtrusive.   Though in really hot weather it would be annoying to have the A/C cut in and out. 

On the Malibu, if you set the AC to Max, the Start/Stop will be minimized

On the Malibu, if you set the AC to Max, the Start/Stop will be minimized

Good to know. I was never able to shut off the ventilation completely. I could set it to floor or dash vents or both, but never neither. But that's another issue...

The AC in the stop starts I have been in never were an issue. The only real noticeable thing was the tach dropping and a little jump on start up that is no longer an issue. 

The first one I drove on a truck I was expecting it to feel like the car stalled and it never did. That was long ago too and the newer systems are much better and only getting better. 

Like I said I am not a fan but I can not bad mouth it because it does work. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Tesla and General Motors lead the pack when it comes to the sales of plug-in vehicles. Data from Automotive News says Tesla stands at 193,344 vehicles, followed by GM at 181,062, But there arises a problem; once they cross the 200,000 mark, the phaseout of the $7,500 tax credit begins. Tesla is expected to be first with some predicting it taking place next month (provided they don't run into more production troubles). GM will follow sometime next year.
      Barring some sort of extension of the program, it will put the two automakers in a bit of bind where they'll be playing on an uneven playing field due to increased costs. It should be noted that the tax credit won't disappear. The way the phaseout works is that the $7,500 credit sticks around for two more quarters after the 200,000 mark is reached. After that, the credit is cut to $3,750 for the next two quarters, then it drops to $1,875 for two more quarters before it is gone.
      "The groundbreakers, the people who forged ahead and got these products out there first, could be at a significant disadvantage now. I don't think it's fair to reward a company that hasn't been as innovative with an incentive that begins when someone else's ends," said Rebecca Lindland, executive analyst at Kelly Blue Book.
      Industry experts expect GM to take a bigger hit than Tesla due to the credit affecting decisions on "lower-priced vehicles such as the sub-$40,000 Chevrolet Volt more than a $75,000-plus Tesla Model S or X" according to research done by the Institute of Transportation Studies at the University of California-Davis.
      A study in 2016 bears this out. 40 percent of Chevrolet Volt buyers admit they wouldn't have purchased one without the tax credit. Only 14 percent of Tesla buyers say the same. 
      This likely explains why various GM executives have been pushing the White House for a possible extension of the credit.
      "At the end of the day, we think having the benefits is great for the customer, because obviously it makes the EV adoption easier and more attractive," GM North America President Alan Batey told Automotive News.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Tesla and General Motors lead the pack when it comes to the sales of plug-in vehicles. Data from Automotive News says Tesla stands at 193,344 vehicles, followed by GM at 181,062, But there arises a problem; once they cross the 200,000 mark, the phaseout of the $7,500 tax credit begins. Tesla is expected to be first with some predicting it taking place next month (provided they don't run into more production troubles). GM will follow sometime next year.
      Barring some sort of extension of the program, it will put the two automakers in a bit of bind where they'll be playing on an uneven playing field due to increased costs. It should be noted that the tax credit won't disappear. The way the phaseout works is that the $7,500 credit sticks around for two more quarters after the 200,000 mark is reached. After that, the credit is cut to $3,750 for the next two quarters, then it drops to $1,875 for two more quarters before it is gone.
      "The groundbreakers, the people who forged ahead and got these products out there first, could be at a significant disadvantage now. I don't think it's fair to reward a company that hasn't been as innovative with an incentive that begins when someone else's ends," said Rebecca Lindland, executive analyst at Kelly Blue Book.
      Industry experts expect GM to take a bigger hit than Tesla due to the credit affecting decisions on "lower-priced vehicles such as the sub-$40,000 Chevrolet Volt more than a $75,000-plus Tesla Model S or X" according to research done by the Institute of Transportation Studies at the University of California-Davis.
      A study in 2016 bears this out. 40 percent of Chevrolet Volt buyers admit they wouldn't have purchased one without the tax credit. Only 14 percent of Tesla buyers say the same. 
      This likely explains why various GM executives have been pushing the White House for a possible extension of the credit.
      "At the end of the day, we think having the benefits is great for the customer, because obviously it makes the EV adoption easier and more attractive," GM North America President Alan Batey told Automotive News.
    • By ccap41
      Well, pretty simple, who wore it better?  

• By William Maley
      Ford has sneakily teased the next-generation Explorer by releasing some photos of the next-generation Police Interceptor Utility. At first glance, you might think that you're looking at current Interceptor Utility. But Car and Driver did some tweaks to the photos which reveal some key changes.
      Proportions more in line with a rear-wheel drive platform - longer front, shorter rear. Dash-to-axle ratio is different to the current model A belt line that rises Slightly tapered roofline (We've done our own set of tweaks to the photos which can be seen at the bottom of the article.)
      Ford also announced that the next-generation Police Interceptor Utility will offer some sort of hybrid powertrain. The company is tight-lipped on specifics on the powertrain (like if it uses a four-cylinder or a V6), but says it is 40 percent more efficient than the 3.7L V6 and will return a combined figure of 24 mpg - 2 mpg better than the front-wheel drive 2.0L EcoBoost. Ford also claims the new Interceptor also boasts a larger cargo model, even with the hybrid's battery pack.
      Ford isn't saying either if this would be appearing on the civilian Explorer, but it would seem to be a safe bet as Ford announced that their utility vehicles would offer some sort of electrification.

Source: Ford

All-New Ford Police Interceptor Utility Pursuit-Rated Hybrid Offers Improved Performance, Lower Gas Costs
      All-New Ford Police Interceptor Utility is purpose-built for law enforcement with a standard hybrid powertrain that doesn’t compromise interior space, improves pursuit performance and aims to lower fuel costs, and it comes with standard all-wheel drive  Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid expected to save an estimated $3,200 per vehicle in yearly fuel bills versus today’s non-hybrid model, saving tax dollars Ford Telematics with built-in Ford modem and complimentary two-year subscription comes with every vehicle to enable agencies to gain access to quality vehicle information, including fuel use data, CO2 emissions reduction, vehicle health alerts and more WASHINGTON, D.C., June 12, 2018 – Ford, America's best-selling police brand, today introduced the all-new Police Interceptor Utility, the industry's first pursuit-rated hybrid SUV.
      The all-new Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid responds to calls from law enforcement agencies for improved performance with lower operating costs to help make the lives of law enforcement officers easier with improved pursuit performance and standard all-wheel drive – and save agencies and taxpayers money. Its hybrid batteries are specially placed inside the vehicle so they do not compromise passenger or cargo space.
      The all-new Police Interceptor Utility also reflects Ford’s plan to offer hybrid, plug-in hybrid or both versions for every new utility in North America.
      “We’re committed to electrifying vehicles for all customers, including law enforcement who need the high performance and low operating costs that Ford’s next-generation hybrids will excel at providing,” said Hau Thai-Tang, executive vice president of Product Development and Purchasing. “Standard all-wheel drive is important because crooks don’t stop when it rains.”
      While fuel economy certification isn’t complete, the Police Interceptor Utility hybrid is expected to have a projected EPA-estimated combined label of at least 24 mpg – approximately 40 percent improvement over the current 3.7-liter V6. 
      Anticipated fuel economy gains, combined with expected fuel savings from reduced engine idling time, are expected to help save law-enforcement customers an estimated $3,200 per vehicle in yearly fuel bills versus the current Police Interceptor Utility.
      If you applied these savings to every Ford Police Interceptor Utility sold in 2017, it would equate to more than $126 million at $2.93 a gallon, or more than 43 million gallons of fuel.
      Sales of Ford Police Interceptor Utility rose 5 percent in 2018, building on five straight years of sales growth and capturing 65 percent of the total U.S. police vehicle market.
      The all-new Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid is projected to accelerate faster, achieve a higher top speed and have at least 40 percent better fuel economy than the previous V6-powered model, helping catch suspected lawbreakers and reduce costs.
      The new hybrid-powered Police Interceptor Utility also reduces engine idling time to save fuel when the vehicle is stationary. They hybrid can power demanding electrical loads from lights, computers, radios and other equipment using its lithium-ion hybrid battery, allowing the gasoline engine to shut off and intermittently run to charge the battery.
      The Police Interceptor Utility hybrid is calibrated for law enforcement’s unique duty cycle. The utility automatically switches to maximum performance – with the engine and battery working at peak acceleration levels – when needed.
      In addition to improved performance and no trade-offs in utility, cargo and passenger space, the Police Interceptor Utility features exclusive 75-mph rear impact protection for safety.
      Technology Upgrades
      The new Police Interceptor Utility also offers the following features, including:
      Standard Ford modem and two-year complimentary Ford Telematics service – a powerful simple-to-use tool that provides vehicle data regarding fuel use, CO2 emissions reduction, and vehicle health Available all-new Police Perimeter Alert enhances previous Surveillance Mode by using the vehicle’s Blind Spot Information System that can monitor approximately 270-degrees of movement outside the vehicle, and analyze motion to determine potentially threatening behavior.  It features a visual display in the instrument cluster that shows moving objects, the motion trail, and threat level. When suspicious behavior is detected, the vehicle automatically sounds a chime, rolls up the windows and locks the doors Available Rear Camera on Demand that allows officers to see what’s happening behind the vehicle Available Class III trailer tow package that enables Police Interceptor Utility to tow up to 5,000 pounds “With Ford Telematics, we’re helping our police customers unlock the data from their vehicles to provide them with more effective ways to manage their fleets and improve operations,” said Stephen Tyler, Ford Police Brand Marketing Manager.
      The all-new Ford Police Interceptor hybrid will be built at Ford Chicago Assembly plant and up-fitted at Ford’s Chicago Modification Center. It goes on sale next summer. 

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ford has sneakily teased the next-generation Explorer by releasing some photos of the next-generation Police Interceptor Utility. At first glance, you might think that you're looking at current Interceptor Utility. But Car and Driver did some tweaks to the photos which reveal some key changes.
      Proportions more in line with a rear-wheel drive platform - longer front, shorter rear. Dash-to-axle ratio is different to the current model A belt line that rises Slightly tapered roofline (We've done our own set of tweaks to the photos which can be seen at the bottom of the article.)
      Ford also announced that the next-generation Police Interceptor Utility will offer some sort of hybrid powertrain. The company is tight-lipped on specifics on the powertrain (like if it uses a four-cylinder or a V6), but says it is 40 percent more efficient than the 3.7L V6 and will return a combined figure of 24 mpg - 2 mpg better than the front-wheel drive 2.0L EcoBoost. Ford also claims the new Interceptor also boasts a larger cargo model, even with the hybrid's battery pack.
      Ford isn't saying either if this would be appearing on the civilian Explorer, but it would seem to be a safe bet as Ford announced that their utility vehicles would offer some sort of electrification.

Source: Ford

All-New Ford Police Interceptor Utility Pursuit-Rated Hybrid Offers Improved Performance, Lower Gas Costs
      All-New Ford Police Interceptor Utility is purpose-built for law enforcement with a standard hybrid powertrain that doesn’t compromise interior space, improves pursuit performance and aims to lower fuel costs, and it comes with standard all-wheel drive  Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid expected to save an estimated $3,200 per vehicle in yearly fuel bills versus today’s non-hybrid model, saving tax dollars Ford Telematics with built-in Ford modem and complimentary two-year subscription comes with every vehicle to enable agencies to gain access to quality vehicle information, including fuel use data, CO2 emissions reduction, vehicle health alerts and more WASHINGTON, D.C., June 12, 2018 – Ford, America's best-selling police brand, today introduced the all-new Police Interceptor Utility, the industry's first pursuit-rated hybrid SUV.
      The all-new Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid responds to calls from law enforcement agencies for improved performance with lower operating costs to help make the lives of law enforcement officers easier with improved pursuit performance and standard all-wheel drive – and save agencies and taxpayers money. Its hybrid batteries are specially placed inside the vehicle so they do not compromise passenger or cargo space.
      The all-new Police Interceptor Utility also reflects Ford’s plan to offer hybrid, plug-in hybrid or both versions for every new utility in North America.
      “We’re committed to electrifying vehicles for all customers, including law enforcement who need the high performance and low operating costs that Ford’s next-generation hybrids will excel at providing,” said Hau Thai-Tang, executive vice president of Product Development and Purchasing. “Standard all-wheel drive is important because crooks don’t stop when it rains.”
      While fuel economy certification isn’t complete, the Police Interceptor Utility hybrid is expected to have a projected EPA-estimated combined label of at least 24 mpg – approximately 40 percent improvement over the current 3.7-liter V6. 
      Anticipated fuel economy gains, combined with expected fuel savings from reduced engine idling time, are expected to help save law-enforcement customers an estimated $3,200 per vehicle in yearly fuel bills versus the current Police Interceptor Utility.
      If you applied these savings to every Ford Police Interceptor Utility sold in 2017, it would equate to more than $126 million at $2.93 a gallon, or more than 43 million gallons of fuel.
      Sales of Ford Police Interceptor Utility rose 5 percent in 2018, building on five straight years of sales growth and capturing 65 percent of the total U.S. police vehicle market.
      The all-new Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid is projected to accelerate faster, achieve a higher top speed and have at least 40 percent better fuel economy than the previous V6-powered model, helping catch suspected lawbreakers and reduce costs.
      The new hybrid-powered Police Interceptor Utility also reduces engine idling time to save fuel when the vehicle is stationary. They hybrid can power demanding electrical loads from lights, computers, radios and other equipment using its lithium-ion hybrid battery, allowing the gasoline engine to shut off and intermittently run to charge the battery.
      The Police Interceptor Utility hybrid is calibrated for law enforcement’s unique duty cycle. The utility automatically switches to maximum performance – with the engine and battery working at peak acceleration levels – when needed.
      In addition to improved performance and no trade-offs in utility, cargo and passenger space, the Police Interceptor Utility features exclusive 75-mph rear impact protection for safety.
      Technology Upgrades
      The new Police Interceptor Utility also offers the following features, including:
      Standard Ford modem and two-year complimentary Ford Telematics service – a powerful simple-to-use tool that provides vehicle data regarding fuel use, CO2 emissions reduction, and vehicle health Available all-new Police Perimeter Alert enhances previous Surveillance Mode by using the vehicle’s Blind Spot Information System that can monitor approximately 270-degrees of movement outside the vehicle, and analyze motion to determine potentially threatening behavior.  It features a visual display in the instrument cluster that shows moving objects, the motion trail, and threat level. When suspicious behavior is detected, the vehicle automatically sounds a chime, rolls up the windows and locks the doors Available Rear Camera on Demand that allows officers to see what’s happening behind the vehicle Available Class III trailer tow package that enables Police Interceptor Utility to tow up to 5,000 pounds “With Ford Telematics, we’re helping our police customers unlock the data from their vehicles to provide them with more effective ways to manage their fleets and improve operations,” said Stephen Tyler, Ford Police Brand Marketing Manager.
      The all-new Ford Police Interceptor hybrid will be built at Ford Chicago Assembly plant and up-fitted at Ford’s Chicago Modification Center. It goes on sale next summer. 
  • My Clubs