William Maley

Kia News: Spying: Are You the Production Kia GT?

Only a few months after we got the first spy shots of the upcoming Kia GT on U.S. soil, a leaked photo showing the production GT without any camouflage has come out.

Kia-World.net got their hands on this photo which shows a pre-production GT sitting in one of Kia's factory. The design is toned down from the 2011 GT Concept, but the key details are here - similar roofline, vents on the hood, and taillights that extend into the rear fenders. It is expected that the GT will feature a turbocharged 3.3L V6 - introduced in the 2018 Genesis G80 Sport - along with a turbo-four.

Kia-World says the GT will be called the K8 in Korea.

No word on when Kia will show off the production version.

Source: Kia-World.net
Image Credit: Kia-World.net

View full article

My god, I hope not. Looks like they slapped the nose of a Hyundai Genesis Coupe onto a Kia Optima! Just a whole lot of "nope" there.

33 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

My god, I hope not. Looks like they slapped the nose of a Hyundai Genesis Coupe onto a Kia Optima! Just a whole lot of "nope" there.

Words quite frankly escape me...and not in a good sort of way...if this is the best they can do, maybe they can go into business with Samsung building refrigerators.

Much harder to eff up a plain box that makes food cold than an automobile....

• Upvote 2

Just now, Stew said:

So, that is what we get from the concept?

sting.jpg

Concept is much better...methinks the Kimchi fermented a bit too long in the design center  refrigerator....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Concept is much better...methinks the Kimchi fermented a bit too long in the design center  refrigerator....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

Haha, it just screams lazy and halfhearted to me.  Seriously, i understand a few changes have to be made from concept to production to make it viable, but went from a sporty sedan with a cool shape to blah, blah, generic, blah lol. 

• Upvote 1

I'll reserve final judgement, but I don;t have high expectations for this car. Particularly from a driving dynamics standpoint.

5 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I'll reserve final judgement, but I don;t have high expectations for this car. Particularly from a driving dynamics standpoint.

Nothing built by the koreans has impressed me in this regard.

Maybe it's the lighting at the facility, but for a car that is very much slab sided, why does it appear that the design is busy?

Also that greenhouse....oh my god, it's just horrible.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

Maybe it's the lighting at the facility, but for a car that is very much slab sided, why does it appear that the design is busy?

Also that greenhouse....oh my god, it's just horrible.

Horrible does not even begin to cover it....

a large wide RWD Kia Optima (of the previous sheetmetal)
well ok, nice winter vehicle

Yawn, can I get back the few minutes I wasted looking at this dog?

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yawn, can I get back the few minutes I wasted looking at this dog?

Exactly!

On 11/30/2016 at 10:04 AM, Belair said:

a large wide RWD Kia Optima (of the previous sheetmetal)
well ok, nice winter vehicle

A Subaru would be much better if one wanted a winter vehicle that was an import...ask the people in Colorado and Vermont...they should know.

On 11/30/2016 at 9:52 AM, Stew said:

Seeing this makes me glad the never tried to build the stinger.

02-kia-gt4-stinger-concept-detroit-1.jpg

Even then, there are so many current production sporty cars that look much better.  I could see this being an also ran.

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Exactly!

A Subaru would be much better if one wanted a winter vehicle that was an import...ask the people in Colorado and Vermont...they should know.

Even then, there are so many current production sporty cars that look much better.  I could see this being an also ran.

true, but still judging here they could make it much, much worse haha. 

1 minute ago, Stew said:

true, but still judging here they could make it much, much worse haha. 

Agree completely.  Just glad VW sales are picking up, as are GM's and Audi.  There are creative car makers with decent products that deserve our affection and loyalty....

I agree.  Very happy to see VW gaining some sales.  i was worried the whole diesel thing could have been more disastrous than it has been, saleswise anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Stew said:

I agree.  Very happy to see VW gaining some sales.  i was worried the whole diesel thing could have been more disastrous than it has been, saleswise anyway. 

A couple of things might make Diesel gate actually helpful to VW. 

#1, if they get over the crappy E golf and build a better electric, and actually invest in electric technology, it may help them very much in terms of amrket position.

#2. they need to step up and do in Canada what they have done in the US for dieselgate, but they should market themselves as having walked through the front door with the diesel thing.

Because a lot of other people have been caught cheating (google Cruze Diesel and cheat) But VW bellied up to the bar and tried to walk through the front door in many ways.

10 minutes ago, Stew said:

I figure the pickup is a blimp as I expect it to go down as VW not only tries to close down the Diesel scandal, but then has to deal with their Petro scandal also. This is going to hurt VW big time long time.

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I figure the pickup is a blimp as I expect it to go down as VW not only tries to close down the Diesel scandal, but then has to deal with their Petro scandal also. This is going to hurt VW big time long time.

People have stupidly short memories in this country...and I forget what else I wanted to say....browneis...I think I wanted a chocolate brownie....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

People have stupidly short memories in this country...and I forget what else I wanted to say....browneis...I think I wanted a chocolate brownie....

Nutella Chocolate Lava Brownies are Da BOMB! :P

nutellalavabrownies.jpg

http://kirbiecravings.com/2011/06/nutella-lava-brownies.html

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      I happen to be a big fan of the Kia Soul. Its daring looks, spacious interior, and overall value make it an interesting option in the compact class. It seems many others would agree as the Soul is one of Kia’s best selling models. To help keep it up there, Kia has introduced a new turbo engine for the top-line Exclaim (!) model along with minor changes for 2017. Let's see how these changes affect the Soul.
      Aside from the turbo engine, Kia made some design tweaks to the Exclaim to have it stand out from other Soul trims. This includes a new front bumper, red accents, 18-inch alloy wheels, a twin-tip exhaust, and exclusive colors like this copper color seen here. The little changes really make the Soul stand out even further than before. Moving on to the turbo engine, it is a 1.6L four-cylinder packing 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. This is only paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. If you really want a manual with your turbo-four, Kia will gladly sell you a Forte5 SX which features the same engine. There is a brief moment of turbo lag when you step on the accelerator, but the engine comes into its own after this with power building smoothly. There are no issues with getting up to speed when merging or making a pass. The dual-clutch transmission is a bit of a mixed bag. In stop-and-go traffic, the transmission exhibits some jerkiness and lazy shifts. We also noticed the transmission was slow to respond in terms of downshifting, making us think the programming for this transmission was focused on fuel economy. At higher speeds, the transmission is better with rapid and smooth shifts. The turbo engine has the highest fuel economy fuel economy figures in the Soul lineup with an EPA rating of 26 City/31 Highway/28 Combined. We saw an average of 25.3 mpg during our week in mostly city driving, which is slightly disappointing. With the turbo engine and racy looks, you might think that this particular Soul is fun to drive. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not the case. Out on a winding road, the Soul is competent with minimal body roll and okay steering. This would be ok if it weren’t for the sporty image that is being portrayed by the exterior. We do wish that Kia had made some changes to the suspension to make it slightly sportier.  The upside to not messing with the Soul’s suspension is it mostly retains the smooth and comfortable ride of other models. Mostly is the keyword as the 18-inch wheels do introduce some harshness to the Soul’s ride. There is a fair amount of wind and road noise, most of this due to the Soul’s boxy shape. The Soul’s interior is still as sharp looking as it first was when the current model was launched in 2013. Little touches such as the uniquely styled air vents and orange accent stitching give the Soul a bit of whimsy. The extensive use of soft-touch materials gives off an aura of quality. Driver and passenger get power seats which make finding a comfortable position very easy. Those sitting in the back will appreciate the large amount of head and legroom, due to the Soul’s boxy shape. Our test Soul came with optional Technology Package that includes an 8-inch touchscreen with Kia’s UVO infotainment system and navigation. It is beginning to show its age in terms of the graphics, but it is still one of the most intuitive systems on sale today. A simple layout and redundant physical buttons make it breeze to use. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration is an added bonus. The Exclaim begins at $22,650 and comes well equipped. Standard features include automatic climate control, 7-inch touchscreen with UVO, Bluetooth, leather and cloth wrapped seats, push-button start with proximity key, and automatic headlights. Opt for the technology to get the 8-inch system, blind spot monitoring with rear-cross traffic alert, heated seats and steering wheel, and power folding mirrors. For only $26,995, you get a nicely equipped vehicle. Our test vehicle is slightly more expensive at $27,620 due to an optional panoramic sunroof which we would skip. Disclaimer: Kia Provided the Soul, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Kia
      Model: Soul
      Trim: ! (Exclaim)
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.6L GDI Four-Cylinder 
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch Automatic
      Horsepower @ RPM: 201 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/31/28
      Curb Weight: 3,232 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Gwangju, South Korea
      Base Price: $22,650
      As Tested Price: $27,620 (Includes $850.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Technology Package - $3,000.00
      Panoramic Sunroof - $1,000.00
      Carpeted Floor Mars - $120.00
    • By William Maley
      I happen to be a big fan of the Kia Soul. Its daring looks, spacious interior, and overall value make it an interesting option in the compact class. It seems many others would agree as the Soul is one of Kia’s best selling models. To help keep it up there, Kia has introduced a new turbo engine for the top-line Exclaim (!) model along with minor changes for 2017. Let's see how these changes affect the Soul.
      Aside from the turbo engine, Kia made some design tweaks to the Exclaim to have it stand out from other Soul trims. This includes a new front bumper, red accents, 18-inch alloy wheels, a twin-tip exhaust, and exclusive colors like this copper color seen here. The little changes really make the Soul stand out even further than before. Moving on to the turbo engine, it is a 1.6L four-cylinder packing 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. This is only paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. If you really want a manual with your turbo-four, Kia will gladly sell you a Forte5 SX which features the same engine. There is a brief moment of turbo lag when you step on the accelerator, but the engine comes into its own after this with power building smoothly. There are no issues with getting up to speed when merging or making a pass. The dual-clutch transmission is a bit of a mixed bag. In stop-and-go traffic, the transmission exhibits some jerkiness and lazy shifts. We also noticed the transmission was slow to respond in terms of downshifting, making us think the programming for this transmission was focused on fuel economy. At higher speeds, the transmission is better with rapid and smooth shifts. The turbo engine has the highest fuel economy fuel economy figures in the Soul lineup with an EPA rating of 26 City/31 Highway/28 Combined. We saw an average of 25.3 mpg during our week in mostly city driving, which is slightly disappointing. With the turbo engine and racy looks, you might think that this particular Soul is fun to drive. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not the case. Out on a winding road, the Soul is competent with minimal body roll and okay steering. This would be ok if it weren’t for the sporty image that is being portrayed by the exterior. We do wish that Kia had made some changes to the suspension to make it slightly sportier.  The upside to not messing with the Soul’s suspension is it mostly retains the smooth and comfortable ride of other models. Mostly is the keyword as the 18-inch wheels do introduce some harshness to the Soul’s ride. There is a fair amount of wind and road noise, most of this due to the Soul’s boxy shape. The Soul’s interior is still as sharp looking as it first was when the current model was launched in 2013. Little touches such as the uniquely styled air vents and orange accent stitching give the Soul a bit of whimsy. The extensive use of soft-touch materials gives off an aura of quality. Driver and passenger get power seats which make finding a comfortable position very easy. Those sitting in the back will appreciate the large amount of head and legroom, due to the Soul’s boxy shape. Our test Soul came with optional Technology Package that includes an 8-inch touchscreen with Kia’s UVO infotainment system and navigation. It is beginning to show its age in terms of the graphics, but it is still one of the most intuitive systems on sale today. A simple layout and redundant physical buttons make it breeze to use. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration is an added bonus. The Exclaim begins at $22,650 and comes well equipped. Standard features include automatic climate control, 7-inch touchscreen with UVO, Bluetooth, leather and cloth wrapped seats, push-button start with proximity key, and automatic headlights. Opt for the technology to get the 8-inch system, blind spot monitoring with rear-cross traffic alert, heated seats and steering wheel, and power folding mirrors. For only $26,995, you get a nicely equipped vehicle. Our test vehicle is slightly more expensive at $27,620 due to an optional panoramic sunroof which we would skip. Disclaimer: Kia Provided the Soul, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Kia
      Model: Soul
      Trim: ! (Exclaim)
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.6L GDI Four-Cylinder 
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch Automatic
      Horsepower @ RPM: 201 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/31/28
      Curb Weight: 3,232 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Gwangju, South Korea
      Base Price: $22,650
      As Tested Price: $27,620 (Includes $850.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Technology Package - $3,000.00
      Panoramic Sunroof - $1,000.00
      Carpeted Floor Mars - $120.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      When Ford introduced the GT, they made it very clear it would be a limited run affair. 500 models would be built over the course of two years. Then the company expanded the amount to 1,000 vehicles that would be built over four years. Now, Ford has expanded the pool of GTs again.
      An additional 350 GTs will be built, bringing the grand total to 1,350. This also means a longer production run. Previously, Ford was going to wrap up production in 2020, but has pushed it back to 2022. If you were one of the many people who applied for a GT and didn't get one, Ford will be opening the application process one more time beginning on November 8th and have it running for 30 days. Prospective owners will find out if they got the approval early next year.
      “By extending the Ford GT production run for a limited period, we’re able to maintain the exclusivity of the ultra-desirable supercar while offering the ownership experience to a greater number of customers,” said Hermann Salenbauch, Ford Performance director.
      Somehow, we doubt many Ford GT owners will have the same view.
      Source: Ford
      Ford Increasing GT Production To Make Ownership Dreams A Reality For 350 More Supercar Fans
      Due to the popularity of Ford GT, Ford is raising the number of supercars it will build to 1,350 – up from 1,000; Ford GT production will run for a total of approximately six years Ford is re-opening the final owner application process for select global markets on Nov. 8; prospective owners can submit their applications at FordGT.com for 30 days  Previous applicants need to confirm or modify their original application to be considered in this final application window to own a Ford GT Dearborn, Mich., Oct. 18, 2018 – Ford Motor Company is increasing Ford GT production to 1,350 vehicles after more than 6,500 applicants raced to sign up for the original 1,000 cars allotted in 2016 – even before the car recaptured LeMans glory later that year.
      “The response to our Ford GT has been unprecedented, with initial demand outstripping supply by more than six-to-one,” said Hermann Salenbauch, Ford Performance director. “By extending the Ford GT production run for a limited period, we’re able to maintain the exclusivity of the ultra-desirable supercar while offering the ownership experience to a greater number of customers.”
      Ford is re-opening the application window to customers hoping to join the exclusive group of Ford GT owners starting Nov. 8 for select global markets. Prospective owners will be able to submit their applications for 30 days at FordGT.com.
      Successful applicants will work with the Ford GT Concierge Service for a personalized purchase experience of cars produced in the 2020 to 2022 calendar years.
      Production of the Ford GT – powered by a twin-turbocharged, 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine and featuring a carbon fiber architecture, active aerodynamics and 216 mph top speed – began in December 2016. 

View full article
    • By William Maley
      When Ford introduced the GT, they made it very clear it would be a limited run affair. 500 models would be built over the course of two years. Then the company expanded the amount to 1,000 vehicles that would be built over four years. Now, Ford has expanded the pool of GTs again.
      An additional 350 GTs will be built, bringing the grand total to 1,350. This also means a longer production run. Previously, Ford was going to wrap up production in 2020, but has pushed it back to 2022. If you were one of the many people who applied for a GT and didn't get one, Ford will be opening the application process one more time beginning on November 8th and have it running for 30 days. Prospective owners will find out if they got the approval early next year.
      “By extending the Ford GT production run for a limited period, we’re able to maintain the exclusivity of the ultra-desirable supercar while offering the ownership experience to a greater number of customers,” said Hermann Salenbauch, Ford Performance director.
      Somehow, we doubt many Ford GT owners will have the same view.
      Source: Ford
      Ford Increasing GT Production To Make Ownership Dreams A Reality For 350 More Supercar Fans
      Due to the popularity of Ford GT, Ford is raising the number of supercars it will build to 1,350 – up from 1,000; Ford GT production will run for a total of approximately six years Ford is re-opening the final owner application process for select global markets on Nov. 8; prospective owners can submit their applications at FordGT.com for 30 days  Previous applicants need to confirm or modify their original application to be considered in this final application window to own a Ford GT Dearborn, Mich., Oct. 18, 2018 – Ford Motor Company is increasing Ford GT production to 1,350 vehicles after more than 6,500 applicants raced to sign up for the original 1,000 cars allotted in 2016 – even before the car recaptured LeMans glory later that year.
      “The response to our Ford GT has been unprecedented, with initial demand outstripping supply by more than six-to-one,” said Hermann Salenbauch, Ford Performance director. “By extending the Ford GT production run for a limited period, we’re able to maintain the exclusivity of the ultra-desirable supercar while offering the ownership experience to a greater number of customers.”
      Ford is re-opening the application window to customers hoping to join the exclusive group of Ford GT owners starting Nov. 8 for select global markets. Prospective owners will be able to submit their applications for 30 days at FordGT.com.
      Successful applicants will work with the Ford GT Concierge Service for a personalized purchase experience of cars produced in the 2020 to 2022 calendar years.
      Production of the Ford GT – powered by a twin-turbocharged, 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine and featuring a carbon fiber architecture, active aerodynamics and 216 mph top speed – began in December 2016. 
    • By William Maley
      Kia has never offered a performance variant of the Forte sedan, tending to reserve that for the coupe and Forte5 hatchback. But that is changing as Kia has introduced the Forte GT sedan at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas.
      The transformation from a stock compact sedan to a sport compact begins under the hood. The 2.0L four-cylinder with 147 horsepower has been swapped for the turbocharged 1.6L four producing 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. This is the same engine found in the Kia Soul ! and Hyundai Elantra Sport. Transmissions include a six-speed manual or seven-speed dual-clutch. Kia has also made some handling improvements with the GT trading the standard torsion beam rear suspension for an independent setup. A set of Michelin Sport summer tires with 18-inch alloy wheels are available as an option.
      Outside, the Forte GT comes with a number of sporty enhancements such as a black grille with red accents, gloss-black mirrors, new side skirts, and a trunk-lid spoiler. The interior features a flat-bottom steering, alloy pedal covers, and optional sport seats.
      No word on pricing, but the 2020 Forte GT arrives at Kia dealers next summer.
      Gallery: 2020 Kia Forte GT
      Source: Kia

Performance Enhanced 2020 Forte GT With Turbocharged Engine Bows At SEMA Show
      Exhilarating Forte GT Spruces Up Forte Family Turbocharged engine and sporty suspension setup enhance Forte GT’s on-road prowess Aggressively styled cosmetic upgrades amp up compact sedan’s appearance Forte GT is just one of two new sport trims available for the 2020 model year LAS VEGAS, October 30, 2018 – At the show that brings together an eclectic mix of wild concepts, high-horsepower muscle cars, and uber lifted trucks, Kia Motors America (KMA) is excited to unveil the 2020 Forte GT, marking the introduction of two exhilarating GT sport trims new to the Forte family of compact sedans. Race-inspired visual upgrades and added premium amenities are just some of the elements that come as part of the GT sport trims, though an available turbocharged engine and sportier suspension setup take the Forte’s performance and fun-to-drive athleticism to the next level. 
      “The fantastic capabilities of our team of engineers really shined in the development of the Stinger and we’re thrilled to continue injecting a bit more sport into some of the other models in the lineup” said Orth Hedrick, executive director, Car Planning and Telematics, KMA. “Whether you want a practical commuter or performance compact sedan, there’s now a Forte that appeals to several types of car shoppers. The Forte is already one of our top sellers, and we believe adding more diversity to the model line will appeal to a broader range of consumers.”  
      With the new sport additions, the 2020 Forte will be available in FE, LXS, EX, GT Line, and GT trim levels. For those who want the most out of the Forte GT, the trim can be elevated with available GT1 and GT2 packages. Pricing will be announced closer to the 2020 Forte’s on-sale date. 
      Amped Up, In and Out
      The amount of sport injected into the Forte varies on the GT designation. Characterized by cosmetic upgrades only, the “GT Line” trim spices up the Forte’s presentation with a racier looking gloss black grille offset by red accents. The gloss black treatment is also applied to heated outside mirrors with LED turn signals, sport side sills, and on the rear spoiler perched atop the decklid.
      To match the exterior, the interior of the Forte “GT Line” is upgraded with alloy sport pedals and a flat bottom steering wheel with white contrast stitching. Exclusive black sport cloth seats continue the theme with the same color stitching, while front seats gain performance side bolsters to keep occupants firmly ensconced through the corners.
      Moving up the ladder, the GT trim is outfitted more aggressively with sport tuned dual exhaust and 18-inch alloy wheels that pop thanks to a GT-exclusive two-tone finish. Standard LED headlights, racier red contrast stitching and Smart Key w/ Push Button Start are also part of the GT treatment, as well as LED ambient interior lighting with an illuminated GT dash inlay. 
      Lively Performance and Favorable Convenience
      While models wearing the “GT Line” badge keep the naturally aspirated 147-HP 2.0-liter MPI four-cylinder engine and Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT), the higher GT trim takes the Forte’s performance and athleticism to the next level with a DOHC turbocharged 1.6-liter I-4 GDI engine. Output is an estimated 201 HP and 195 lb-ft. of torque which is sent to the front wheels via a 6-speed manual transmission or 7-speed dual clutch transmission (models with the latter transmission receive steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters). A fully independent front and rear suspension, paired with larger front disc brakes and sway bars, deliver better handling and cornering, improved ride quality, and enhanced stability and steering. Befitting a true compact sport sedan, the Forte GT is available with sticky 225/40R-18 Michelin Pilot Sport Summer tires.
      A suite of Kia Drive Wise technologies continues to be standard, meaning both GT sport trims are equipped with Forward Collision Warning (FCW)1, Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)1, Lane Departure Warning (LDW)1, Lane Keeping Assist-Line (LKA-Line)1, and Driver Attention Warning (DAW)2.  Opting for the GT1 package adds Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW)1 with Lane Change Assist (LCA)1 and Rear-Cross Traffic Collision Warning (RCCW)1 to the roster of technologies, while the GT2 package tops it off with the addition of Smart Cruise Control (SCC)1.
      Both GT1 and GT2 packages improve the Forte’s interior environment with LED overhead lighting and power sunroof, a 320-watt Harman Kardon ® 3 premium eight-speaker audio system complete with Clari-Fi TM 4 technology, wireless charging5, 4.2-inch center LCD screen and dual-zone full automatic air conditioning. Forte GTs with the GT2 package are further differentiated with heated and ventilated SOFINO GT sport seating and a 10-way power driver’s seat.
  • My Clubs