William Maley

Kia News: Spying: Are You the Production Kia GT?

Only a few months after we got the first spy shots of the upcoming Kia GT on U.S. soil, a leaked photo showing the production GT without any camouflage has come out.

Kia-World.net got their hands on this photo which shows a pre-production GT sitting in one of Kia's factory. The design is toned down from the 2011 GT Concept, but the key details are here - similar roofline, vents on the hood, and taillights that extend into the rear fenders. It is expected that the GT will feature a turbocharged 3.3L V6 - introduced in the 2018 Genesis G80 Sport - along with a turbo-four.

Kia-World says the GT will be called the K8 in Korea.

No word on when Kia will show off the production version.

Source: Kia-World.net
Image Credit: Kia-World.net

View full article

My god, I hope not. Looks like they slapped the nose of a Hyundai Genesis Coupe onto a Kia Optima! Just a whole lot of "nope" there.

33 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

My god, I hope not. Looks like they slapped the nose of a Hyundai Genesis Coupe onto a Kia Optima! Just a whole lot of "nope" there.

Words quite frankly escape me...and not in a good sort of way...if this is the best they can do, maybe they can go into business with Samsung building refrigerators.

Much harder to eff up a plain box that makes food cold than an automobile....

• Upvote 2

Just now, Stew said:

So, that is what we get from the concept?

sting.jpg

Concept is much better...methinks the Kimchi fermented a bit too long in the design center  refrigerator....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Concept is much better...methinks the Kimchi fermented a bit too long in the design center  refrigerator....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

Haha, it just screams lazy and halfhearted to me.  Seriously, i understand a few changes have to be made from concept to production to make it viable, but went from a sporty sedan with a cool shape to blah, blah, generic, blah lol. 

• Upvote 1

I'll reserve final judgement, but I don;t have high expectations for this car. Particularly from a driving dynamics standpoint.

5 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I'll reserve final judgement, but I don;t have high expectations for this car. Particularly from a driving dynamics standpoint.

Nothing built by the koreans has impressed me in this regard.

Maybe it's the lighting at the facility, but for a car that is very much slab sided, why does it appear that the design is busy?

Also that greenhouse....oh my god, it's just horrible.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

Maybe it's the lighting at the facility, but for a car that is very much slab sided, why does it appear that the design is busy?

Also that greenhouse....oh my god, it's just horrible.

Horrible does not even begin to cover it....

a large wide RWD Kia Optima (of the previous sheetmetal)
well ok, nice winter vehicle

Yawn, can I get back the few minutes I wasted looking at this dog?

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yawn, can I get back the few minutes I wasted looking at this dog?

Exactly!

On 11/30/2016 at 10:04 AM, Belair said:

a large wide RWD Kia Optima (of the previous sheetmetal)
well ok, nice winter vehicle

A Subaru would be much better if one wanted a winter vehicle that was an import...ask the people in Colorado and Vermont...they should know.

On 11/30/2016 at 9:52 AM, Stew said:

Seeing this makes me glad the never tried to build the stinger.

02-kia-gt4-stinger-concept-detroit-1.jpg

Even then, there are so many current production sporty cars that look much better.  I could see this being an also ran.

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Exactly!

A Subaru would be much better if one wanted a winter vehicle that was an import...ask the people in Colorado and Vermont...they should know.

Even then, there are so many current production sporty cars that look much better.  I could see this being an also ran.

true, but still judging here they could make it much, much worse haha. 

1 minute ago, Stew said:

true, but still judging here they could make it much, much worse haha. 

Agree completely.  Just glad VW sales are picking up, as are GM's and Audi.  There are creative car makers with decent products that deserve our affection and loyalty....

I agree.  Very happy to see VW gaining some sales.  i was worried the whole diesel thing could have been more disastrous than it has been, saleswise anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Stew said:

I agree.  Very happy to see VW gaining some sales.  i was worried the whole diesel thing could have been more disastrous than it has been, saleswise anyway. 

A couple of things might make Diesel gate actually helpful to VW. 

#1, if they get over the crappy E golf and build a better electric, and actually invest in electric technology, it may help them very much in terms of amrket position.

#2. they need to step up and do in Canada what they have done in the US for dieselgate, but they should market themselves as having walked through the front door with the diesel thing.

Because a lot of other people have been caught cheating (google Cruze Diesel and cheat) But VW bellied up to the bar and tried to walk through the front door in many ways.

True, how a company handles such issue has one of the biggest impacts on customer perception. 

10 minutes ago, Stew said:

I figure the pickup is a blimp as I expect it to go down as VW not only tries to close down the Diesel scandal, but then has to deal with their Petro scandal also. This is going to hurt VW big time long time.

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I figure the pickup is a blimp as I expect it to go down as VW not only tries to close down the Diesel scandal, but then has to deal with their Petro scandal also. This is going to hurt VW big time long time.

People have stupidly short memories in this country...and I forget what else I wanted to say....browneis...I think I wanted a chocolate brownie....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

People have stupidly short memories in this country...and I forget what else I wanted to say....browneis...I think I wanted a chocolate brownie....

Nutella Chocolate Lava Brownies are Da BOMB! :P

nutellalavabrownies.jpg

http://kirbiecravings.com/2011/06/nutella-lava-brownies.html

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Last week, Kia announced a new 48-volt mild-hybrid system that would be paired up with a diesel engine to improve performance and emissions. The first model will be the European-market Sportage. Today, Kia has unveiled a lightly refreshed Sportage with minor updates and more information on the mild-hybrid system.
      Exterior changes are quite small with new bumpers and headlights. The top GT-Line comes with new chrome trim and metallic skid plates. Inside, Kia has fitted a new steering wheel and instrument cluster. For safety, the 2019 Sportage gets Kia's Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go, around-view camera system, and a driver attention warning.
      As for the mild-hybrid powertrain, it will come paired with a 2.0L ‘R’ diesel four-cylinder. No power figures or fuel economy figures were provided by Kia. The company also announced a new 1.6L diesel that will take the place of the 1.7. 
      Kia will launch the 2019 Sportage in Europe in the next quarter. We're expecting Kia to do something similar to the U.S. Sportage, minus the diesel mild-hybrid engine. But it should be noted that Kia is working on a mild-hybrid system for gas engines, so our updated Sportage could have a mild-hybrid powertrain of its own.
      Source: Kia

KIA UNVEILS NEW SPORTAGE WITH DIESEL MILD-HYBRID POWERTRAIN, NEW TECHNOLOGIES AND FRESH DESIGN
      Wednesday, 23 May 2018
      Updated interior and exterior design for UK and global best-seller Revised powertrain line-up includes EcoDynamics+ 2.0-litre diesel mild-hybrid and efficient new 1.6-litre ‘U3’ diesel EcoDynamics+ powertrain reduces CO2 emissions by up to four per cent under WLTP New technologies include upgraded infotainment and active driver aids On-sale in Europe during Q3 2018 Kia Motors has revealed the New Kia Sportage, introducing a range of enhancements to the brand’s UK, European and global best-seller. The new model pairs an updated exterior and interior design with new safety and infotainment technologies. Powertrains are also fully-compliant with future emissions standards.
      The Sportage’s advanced new EcoDynamic+ 48V diesel mild-hybrid powertrain is the first to be launched as part of the brand’s global powertrain electrification strategy. Kia is the first manufacturer to offer hybrid, plug-in hybrid, battery-electric and 48-volt mild-hybrid technology across its full model line-up. Kia will launch 16 advanced powertrain vehicles by 2025, including five new hybrids, five plug-in hybrids, five battery-electric vehicles and, in 2020, a new fuel-cell electric vehicle.
      Kia sold more than 131,000 examples of the Sportage in 2017, representing a quarter of the brand’s total European sales. In the UK, the Sportage continues to be the brand’s biggest seller with 39,683 delivered to customers in 2017, making up over a third of UK sales last year. Updates to the Sportage range also include modifications to ‘GT-Line’ models. European customer deliveries of the new model will start during Q3 2018.
      Upgraded powertrains include new EcoDynamics+ diesel mild-hybrid
      The Sportage now offers a wider range of engines, including Kia’s new ‘EcoDynamics+’ 2.0-litre ‘R’ diesel mild-hybrid powertrain. EcoDynamics+ supplements acceleration with power from a 48-volt battery, and extends engine ‘off time’ with a new Mild-Hybrid Starter-Generator unit. It can reduce CO2 emissions by up to four per cent on the Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP).
      The Sportage’s existing 1.7-litre CRDi (Common-Rail Direct injection) diesel engine has been replaced with Kia’s efficient new 1.6-litre ‘U3’ CRDi engine, the cleanest diesel engine Kia has ever made. The new 1.6-litre diesel engine produces 115 or 136ps, with higher-powered models available with all-wheel drive and seven-speed double-clutch transmission.
      All powertrains are now fully compliant with the Euro 6d TEMP emissions standards.
      Updates to attractive Kia SUV design
      Improvements to the Sportage’s sporty exterior design include new front and rear bumpers, as well as redesigned front and rear lamps and new 16-, 17- and 19-inch alloy wheel designs. Options include chrome sill trim and metallic skid plates, and five new paint colours.
      ‘GT-Line’ models are equipped with a gloss black hot-stamped radiator grille, a gloss black and silver skid plate, and dark chrome inserts on the side sills and rear tailgate. The GT-Line’s unique 19-inch alloy wheels have been redesigned, and all models are fitted with a dual exhaust rear valance and revised ‘ice cube’ LED fog lamp designs.
      The newly-refined cabin features a new steering wheel and revised instrument cluster, as well as new black-and-grey two-tone upholstery. ‘GT-Line’ models are available with new black-and-grey two-tone leather seats, or optional black leather with red accents.
      Smart safety technologies and new infotainment systems
      The new Sportage adopts Kia’s latest advanced driving assistance systems, including Smart Cruise Control with Stop&Go, an Around View Monitor for easier parking manoeuvres, and Driver Attention Warning, to combat fatigue and inattentiveness at the wheel. European customers have a choice of Kia’s new infotainment systems: a 7.0-inch touchscreen, or a new ‘frameless’ 8.0-inch infotainment system.
      UK on-sale date, pricing and specification will be announced in due course.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last week, Kia announced a new 48-volt mild-hybrid system that would be paired up with a diesel engine to improve performance and emissions. The first model will be the European-market Sportage. Today, Kia has unveiled a lightly refreshed Sportage with minor updates and more information on the mild-hybrid system.
      Exterior changes are quite small with new bumpers and headlights. The top GT-Line comes with new chrome trim and metallic skid plates. Inside, Kia has fitted a new steering wheel and instrument cluster. For safety, the 2019 Sportage gets Kia's Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go, around-view camera system, and a driver attention warning.
      As for the mild-hybrid powertrain, it will come paired with a 2.0L ‘R’ diesel four-cylinder. No power figures or fuel economy figures were provided by Kia. The company also announced a new 1.6L diesel that will take the place of the 1.7. 
      Kia will launch the 2019 Sportage in Europe in the next quarter. We're expecting Kia to do something similar to the U.S. Sportage, minus the diesel mild-hybrid engine. But it should be noted that Kia is working on a mild-hybrid system for gas engines, so our updated Sportage could have a mild-hybrid powertrain of its own.

KIA UNVEILS NEW SPORTAGE WITH DIESEL MILD-HYBRID POWERTRAIN, NEW TECHNOLOGIES AND FRESH DESIGN
      Wednesday, 23 May 2018
      Updated interior and exterior design for UK and global best-seller Revised powertrain line-up includes EcoDynamics+ 2.0-litre diesel mild-hybrid and efficient new 1.6-litre ‘U3’ diesel EcoDynamics+ powertrain reduces CO2 emissions by up to four per cent under WLTP New technologies include upgraded infotainment and active driver aids On-sale in Europe during Q3 2018 Kia Motors has revealed the New Kia Sportage, introducing a range of enhancements to the brand’s UK, European and global best-seller. The new model pairs an updated exterior and interior design with new safety and infotainment technologies. Powertrains are also fully-compliant with future emissions standards.
      The Sportage’s advanced new EcoDynamic+ 48V diesel mild-hybrid powertrain is the first to be launched as part of the brand’s global powertrain electrification strategy. Kia is the first manufacturer to offer hybrid, plug-in hybrid, battery-electric and 48-volt mild-hybrid technology across its full model line-up. Kia will launch 16 advanced powertrain vehicles by 2025, including five new hybrids, five plug-in hybrids, five battery-electric vehicles and, in 2020, a new fuel-cell electric vehicle.
      Kia sold more than 131,000 examples of the Sportage in 2017, representing a quarter of the brand’s total European sales. In the UK, the Sportage continues to be the brand’s biggest seller with 39,683 delivered to customers in 2017, making up over a third of UK sales last year. Updates to the Sportage range also include modifications to ‘GT-Line’ models. European customer deliveries of the new model will start during Q3 2018.
      Upgraded powertrains include new EcoDynamics+ diesel mild-hybrid
      The Sportage now offers a wider range of engines, including Kia’s new ‘EcoDynamics+’ 2.0-litre ‘R’ diesel mild-hybrid powertrain. EcoDynamics+ supplements acceleration with power from a 48-volt battery, and extends engine ‘off time’ with a new Mild-Hybrid Starter-Generator unit. It can reduce CO2 emissions by up to four per cent on the Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP).
      The Sportage’s existing 1.7-litre CRDi (Common-Rail Direct injection) diesel engine has been replaced with Kia’s efficient new 1.6-litre ‘U3’ CRDi engine, the cleanest diesel engine Kia has ever made. The new 1.6-litre diesel engine produces 115 or 136ps, with higher-powered models available with all-wheel drive and seven-speed double-clutch transmission.
      All powertrains are now fully compliant with the Euro 6d TEMP emissions standards.
      Updates to attractive Kia SUV design
      Improvements to the Sportage’s sporty exterior design include new front and rear bumpers, as well as redesigned front and rear lamps and new 16-, 17- and 19-inch alloy wheel designs. Options include chrome sill trim and metallic skid plates, and five new paint colours.
      ‘GT-Line’ models are equipped with a gloss black hot-stamped radiator grille, a gloss black and silver skid plate, and dark chrome inserts on the side sills and rear tailgate. The GT-Line’s unique 19-inch alloy wheels have been redesigned, and all models are fitted with a dual exhaust rear valance and revised ‘ice cube’ LED fog lamp designs.
      The newly-refined cabin features a new steering wheel and revised instrument cluster, as well as new black-and-grey two-tone upholstery. ‘GT-Line’ models are available with new black-and-grey two-tone leather seats, or optional black leather with red accents.
      Smart safety technologies and new infotainment systems
      The new Sportage adopts Kia’s latest advanced driving assistance systems, including Smart Cruise Control with Stop&Go, an Around View Monitor for easier parking manoeuvres, and Driver Attention Warning, to combat fatigue and inattentiveness at the wheel. European customers have a choice of Kia’s new infotainment systems: a 7.0-inch touchscreen, or a new ‘frameless’ 8.0-inch infotainment system.
      UK on-sale date, pricing and specification will be announced in due course.
    • By dfelt
      KIA - 48V Diesel Mild-Hybrid Powertrain 2018

Kia announced this week their first 48V diesel mild-hybrid powertrain that will start shipping in the second half of 2018. This system uses a new Starter-Generator system in their auto's that is designed to fit seamlessly into consumers lives with no plug-in recharging required.
      The Kia Sportage is the first model to get this new diesel mild-hybrid powertrain shipping in the 2nd half of 2018 with the Kia Ceed getting the same powertrain in 2019.
      Kia states this is the start of their 2025 electrification strategy that will find a total of 16 auto's all with advanced powertrains covering their lineup by 2025. This breaks down to five hybrids, five plug-in hybrids, five battery-electric auto's and one fuel cell electric auto.
      Kia states this new hybrid powertrain is designed to fit into existing vehicle architecture, minimising the impact on their product portfolio.
      Kia Press Release
    • By William Maley
      Back at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, Kia rolled out the Niro EV concept. Aside from the wild design cues, the Niro EV concept featured a 150 kW (201 horsepower) electric motor and 64 kWh battery pack. Range was estimated at 231 miles. 
      Just a couple of days ago, Kia revealed the production version of the Niro EV. Unsurprisingly, the electric version doesn't look significantly different from the hybrid/plug-in hybrid Niros. The only changes are a closed-off, body-colored grille with a door for charging port; faux grilles on the front and rear bumpers, and LED foglights.
      The Niro EV features Kia's new electric powertrain that includes an electric motor with a 64 kWh lithium-polymer battery pack. Overall range is estimated at 450 kilometers (about 280 miles) on the World Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP). Expect the EPA estimate to be slightly lower. There will also be 39.2 kWh battery available that is said to offer a range of more than 300 kilometers.
      We expect to have more details on the Niro EV such as power ratings and a release timeframe when the Niro EV debuts at the Paris Motor Show in September.
      KIA REVEALS FIRST IMAGES OF ALL-ELECTRIC NIRO
      First images of Niro electric crossover display sporty and versatile design European debut at Paris Motor Show in October 2018 Stylish and modern exterior inspired by design concept seen at CES 2018 New Kia Niro EV to deliver more than 450 km range* Frankfurt, 2 May 2018 –  Kia has today unveiled a new all-electric version of Niro at the 5th International Electric Vehicle Expo in Jeju, Korea. Due to receive its European debut at the Paris Motor Show in October 2018, the sporty and versatile Niro EV combines driving enjoyment with eye-catching design and functional utility.

Designed at Kia’s design centres in California, USA and Namyang, Korea, the Niro EV incorporates the practicality and appeal of a compact SUV, in a sleek, aerodynamic body with subtly sculptured surfaces.

Taking inspiration from the Niro EV Concept unveiled at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the Niro EV features an exclusive radiator grille, futuristic air intake and arrowhead-shaped LED daytime running lights. With a ‘Clean and High-tech’ design concept, the slim character line and tapered rear windows emphasize the car’s sleek profile, while allowing greater room for the Niro EV’s muscular wheel arches.

The Niro EV is powered by Kia’s next-generation electric vehicle powertrain, using new production technologies developed specifically for Kia EVs. Equipped with a high-capacity 64 kWh lithium-polymer battery pack, the Niro EV will be able to drive over 450 km* on a single charge with zero emissions, or more than 300 km* on an optional 39.2 kWh battery system.

The Niro EV demonstrates the considerable steps Kia has made over recent years to deliver comfortable, fun-to-drive vehicles that lead the way in zero emissions motoring.

The Niro EV will go on sale in Korea during the second half of 2018 and introduced to other markets in due course.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Back at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, Kia rolled out the Niro EV concept. Aside from the wild design cues, the Niro EV concept featured a 150 kW (201 horsepower) electric motor and 64 kWh battery pack. Range was estimated at 231 miles. 
      Just a couple of days ago, Kia revealed the production version of the Niro EV. Unsurprisingly, the electric version doesn't look significantly different from the hybrid/plug-in hybrid Niros. The only changes are a closed-off, body-colored grille with a door for charging port; faux grilles on the front and rear bumpers, and LED foglights.
      The Niro EV features Kia's new electric powertrain that includes an electric motor with a 64 kWh lithium-polymer battery pack. Overall range is estimated at 450 kilometers (about 280 miles) on the World Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP). Expect the EPA estimate to be slightly lower. There will also be 39.2 kWh battery available that is said to offer a range of more than 300 kilometers.
      We expect to have more details on the Niro EV such as power ratings and a release timeframe when the Niro EV debuts at the Paris Motor Show in September.
      KIA REVEALS FIRST IMAGES OF ALL-ELECTRIC NIRO
      First images of Niro electric crossover display sporty and versatile design European debut at Paris Motor Show in October 2018 Stylish and modern exterior inspired by design concept seen at CES 2018 New Kia Niro EV to deliver more than 450 km range* Frankfurt, 2 May 2018 –  Kia has today unveiled a new all-electric version of Niro at the 5th International Electric Vehicle Expo in Jeju, Korea. Due to receive its European debut at the Paris Motor Show in October 2018, the sporty and versatile Niro EV combines driving enjoyment with eye-catching design and functional utility.

Designed at Kia’s design centres in California, USA and Namyang, Korea, the Niro EV incorporates the practicality and appeal of a compact SUV, in a sleek, aerodynamic body with subtly sculptured surfaces.

Taking inspiration from the Niro EV Concept unveiled at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the Niro EV features an exclusive radiator grille, futuristic air intake and arrowhead-shaped LED daytime running lights. With a ‘Clean and High-tech’ design concept, the slim character line and tapered rear windows emphasize the car’s sleek profile, while allowing greater room for the Niro EV’s muscular wheel arches.

The Niro EV is powered by Kia’s next-generation electric vehicle powertrain, using new production technologies developed specifically for Kia EVs. Equipped with a high-capacity 64 kWh lithium-polymer battery pack, the Niro EV will be able to drive over 450 km* on a single charge with zero emissions, or more than 300 km* on an optional 39.2 kWh battery system.

The Niro EV demonstrates the considerable steps Kia has made over recent years to deliver comfortable, fun-to-drive vehicles that lead the way in zero emissions motoring.

The Niro EV will go on sale in Korea during the second half of 2018 and introduced to other markets in due course.
  • My Clubs