dfelt

Indiana Slaps new fee on EV's.

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

Indiana Slaps new fee on EV's.

According to a post today by Green Car Reports, the state of Indiana has rolled out new fees for owning an Electric car being the second state behind Michigan with fees that cost more to drive an EV than a petro model.

Indiana EV owners will have to pay a $15 increase over standard registration fees when buying the EV. Plus a year $150 fee. Indiana has also moved to increase their gas tax from .10 cents per gallon one of the lowest in the country to .28 cents per gallon an .18 cent increase. The State legislation says that based on an average of 12,000 miles a year, 25 mpg, the average Indiana state resident will pay about $134.40 per year in gas tax. A Toyota Prius owner would pay about $67.20 based on their 50 mpg rating. This means that the EV driver will pay more than either hypothetical driver the House Republicans have stated who sponsored the bill. These folks believe this EV bill will add $2 million a year in revenue to the general fund. The representatives stated this was needed to help cover the cost of highway projects and lost gas tax revenue.

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

It is NOT the business of Gov't to arbitrarily legislate simply for "lost" revenue!

How else do you want the roads paid for? Toll everything?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No. No toll.

But...legalize pot and the profit from pot pays for roads.

Just an idea. Im not advocating this. Just for back and forth banter purposes.

Think a little bit for a change. Budget better. Trim administration. Review contract bids MUCH more stringently. Think long-term. Stop blowing money on pet projects that look good on executive's resumes.

This is a little over half of the scratch REbuilt 23-lane toll plaza at the southern terminus of the Jersey Turnpike (a toll road). My wife used to travel down to Delaware for work on regular occasion a number of years back- she said the place was always empty. I went thru Mon this week around 9:30AM, the place was empty. I was unable to find a construction cost, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 100 million…. of toll money collected to maintain the roads. But oh- a 1000 Bolts are going to cost 'dollars we just don't have, unless tax' to maintain the roads. 

'Lost revenue'- please.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

No. No toll.

But...legalize pot and the profit from pot pays for roads.

Just an idea. Im not advocating this. Just for back and forth banter purposes.

Why should a pot user who doesn't own a car pay for the roads?

The gasoline tax was instituted because fuel use is a direct correlation with both distance traveled and weight of a vehicle.  All 4+ wheel vehicles put wear on roads, but a million Ford Fiestas do a lot less wear and tear on the road over time than a million F-250s. So a Ford Fiesta should pay less tax for that wear... and it does so by using less fuel and being more efficient.

Conversely, an F-250 that only travels 5,000 miles in a year uses the roads a lot less than a Fiesta doing 50,000 miles in a year, and pays less tax by using less fuel.

Unless we went to a yearly tax based entirely on distance X weight, the fuel tax is the fairest way to apply the tax.

EVs and Hybrids messed up that equation by not using as much fuel or not using fuel at all.  A Chevy Volt can go 20,000 miles in a year and only fill up 4 times. 

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Think a little bit for a change. Budget better. Trim administration. Review contract bids MUCH more stringently. Think long-term. Stop blowing money on pet projects that look good on executive's resumes.

This is a little over half of the scratch REbuilt 23-lane toll plaza at the southern terminus of the Jersey Turnpike (a toll road). My wife used to travel down to Delaware for work on regular occasion a number of years back- she said the place was always empty. I went thru Mon this week around 9:30AM, the place was empty. I was unable to find a construction cost, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 100 million…. of toll money collected to maintain the roads. But oh- a 1000 Bolts are going to cost 'dollars we just don't have, unless tax' to maintain the roads. 

'Lost revenue'- please.

I'm not against full review of spending projects at all, that could even mean a reduction in gasoline taxes..... But the tax paid should be levied fairly.  Why should EV drivers get a free ride?

@Drew Dowdell

LOL

Im sorry about my post. I was joking. Being foolish. Trolling if you will.

Very good points though.

Points that even If was playing devil's advocate, I wouldnt be able to counter.

• Upvote 2

Seriously speaking though.

When I read this yesterday, my opinion was that the State of Indiana is against EVs and this is just a way to discourage people to buy EVs. I refrained from giving this opinion as I felt I was rushing my thoughts. Its a good thing I didnt share this thought process yesterday as reading yours (Drew's) and Suave's posts makes me realize that infrastructure repairs need a way to be financed. As gasoline usage goes down and EV usage goes up (eventually)...so does the need for governments to seek replacement income for said upkeep.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Seriously speaking though.

When I read this yesterday, my opinion was that the State of Indiana is against EVs and this is just a way to discourage people to buy EVs. I refrained from giving this opinion as I felt was rushing my thoughts. Its a good thing I didnt share this thought process as reading yours and Suave's posts makes me realize that infrastructure repairs need a way to be financed. As gasoline usage goes down and EV usage goes up...so does the need for government to seek replacement income for said upkeep.

I'm not sure that Indiana's solution is a good long term one, but it's probably the best they can do at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm not sure that Indiana's solution is a good long term one, but it's probably the best they can do at the moment. 

Well. In Québec. No extra fees or taxes are put into EVs or EV usage. The opposite is true.

Sales tax exemptions for EV purchases. Lower Hydro rates for personal charging stations that are in your home, etc...

The only thing that may be more is car registration fees that are higher. But then again, maybe that is because a Tesla model S is a 100 000 dollar car and that puts it into luxury territory and luxury cars in Québec  are registered at a higher rate than normal cars...

36 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Why should EV drivers get a free ride?

What do they do with hybrids- there's revenue being 'lost' there with every electric mile.

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

What do they do with hybrids- there's revenue being 'lost' there with every electric mile.

Eventually they're going to have to address that too.

There's even revenue being lost when Explorers and Durangos are getting 25mpg now verse the 18 mpg they got 15 years ago. The vehicles weigh the same or more yet are traveling further on the same gallon of gas, thus the tax per wear mile is lower today than it was 15 years ago. 

Did anybody say...Free Ride?

Electric guitars....electric cars...

All over the country I've seen it the same
Nobody's winning at this kind of game
We've gotta do better, it's time to begin
You know all the answers must come from within
So come on and take a free ride

15 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

There's even revenue being lost when Explorers and Durangos are getting 25mpg now verse the 18 mpg they got 15 years ago. 

That's exactly where Gov't, as highly-compensated professionals/experts (supposedly- there are some amazingly stupid people on the public payroll), need to come up with the means to address this by every other available means BEFORE 'squeeze the public again' is automatically gone to. It is not supposed to be about 'protecting revenue streams' but protecting & serving the interests of the American citizen. 

What category does infrastructure maintenance belong to?

Does it belong in the 'protecting & serving the interests of the American citizen' (or Canadian in my case) category?

Because I think it does.

Not that I dont agree with you @balthazar with your reasoning and your pleas regarding 'lost revenue streams'...

I agree wholeheartedly.

Less corruption in Quebec's case regarding construction contracts should be the rule of thumb waaaay before gouging citizens pockets...but it does take a ton of money to repair roads.

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That's exactly where Gov't, as highly-compensated professionals/experts (supposedly- there are some amazingly stupid people on the public payroll), need to come up with the means to address this by every other available means BEFORE 'squeeze the public again' is automatically gone to. It is not supposed to be about 'protecting revenue streams' but protecting & serving the interests of the American citizen. 

This isn't about squeezing the public again. This is about trying to address a disparity in the way the fees are levied.  I'd agree with you how Indiana did it isn't the best way to go about it, but it is an issue that is going to have to be figured out. 

Our roads and infrastructure are in shambles... we aren't even keeping up with the maintenance on what we have today. Furthermore, the infrastructure is already being subsidized by the general tax base instead of solely on fuel taxes... to the tune of 57%.

Many states are losing money on gas tax and there are many plans on how to recover it. Oregon wants to charge you by the mile and the system is already sorted out. It is only a matter of time they will put it into play. 

Other will just keep raising the plate fees and other deals. 

Get used to it as CAFE goes up we will see more of this. 

1 hour ago, hyperv6 said:

Many states are losing money on gas tax and there are many plans on how to recover it.

This is, again, my beef with the narrative. States are not "losing money"; (in some cases) they're simply not making as much as they did earlierBut that's never the way it's worded, is it? Where is it written that peak revenue is guaranteed?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, balthazar said:

This is, again, my beef with the narrative. States are not "losing money"; (in some cases) they're simply not making as much as they did earlierBut that's never the way it's worded, is it? Where is it written that peak revenue is guaranteed?

Few states have not been pulling from the general fund for decades now.

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Few states have not been pulling from the general fund for decades now.

Pulling from the general fund is only indicative of operating outside their means, nothing else. Get lean or get out.
We've got to put the lid on spending somewhere & somehow. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

This is why tax by mile is fair for everyone. The more you drive the more you pay. With the Semi's having GPS, they can have them pay their fair share too for long haul trucking.

• Upvote 1

Eh, governments are doing too much of stealing wealth from the future by printing currency, but that's for another thread, another political crisis, and lots of blah blah on many view points on how to fix it, probably all being very good blah blah's.

Also, I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF TO HOW DREW REPLIED TO OLD'S FUNNY POST......

.....THAT WAS LIKE, 13/10, PLATINUM REWARDS CLASS HUMOUR....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. ToniCipriani
      ToniCipriani
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Bentley appears to have electric vehicles on the brain. Back in September, we reported that the luxury automaker decided to go forward on an electric coupe over a small SUV. It seems there are plans for another electric vehicle.
      According to a report from Automobile Magazine, Bentley will be working on its own version of the Porsche Mission E codenamed J1. The new model will use the Mission E architecture which is said to have three different power outputs - 402, 536, and 670 horsepower. But there is talk of Porsche working on a monster version producing 936 horsepower and coming with larger batteries. Expect a four-door coupe design and possibly wearing the name of Barnato.
      There is a wrinkle to this as Audi is said to be working on its own take on the J1 possibly named e-tron GT.
      Source: Automobile Magazine

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Bentley appears to have electric vehicles on the brain. Back in September, we reported that the luxury automaker decided to go forward on an electric coupe over a small SUV. It seems there are plans for another electric vehicle.
      According to a report from Automobile Magazine, Bentley will be working on its own version of the Porsche Mission E codenamed J1. The new model will use the Mission E architecture which is said to have three different power outputs - 402, 536, and 670 horsepower. But there is talk of Porsche working on a monster version producing 936 horsepower and coming with larger batteries. Expect a four-door coupe design and possibly wearing the name of Barnato.
      There is a wrinkle to this as Audi is said to be working on its own take on the J1 possibly named e-tron GT.
      Source: Automobile Magazine
    • By William Maley
      Ford has announced a new joint venture with Chinese automaker Zotye on affordable electric vehicles for the Chinese market.
      Named Zotye Ford Automobile, the venture will see the two automakers develop and manufacture electric vehicles for a new brand. Ford and Zotye will be investing a total of 5 billion RMB (about $756 million) on this venture. Part of that investment will go towards a new manufacturing plant in the Zhejiang Province. The two automakers will also work on mobility solutions.
      “We are delighted to have signed this joint venture agreement with Zotye to form our third joint venture automotive company in China. Subject to regulatory approval, Zotye Ford will introduce a new brand family of small all-electric vehicles," said Peter Fleet, Ford group vice president and president of the Asia Pacific region.
      Zoyte knows a thing or two about selling EVs in China. The company has sold 22,500 small EVs within the first 10 months of the year. Zoyte is also very infamous for building the T700 which is a copy of the Porsche Macan crossover.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

FORD AND ZOTYE SIGN DEFINITIVE JV AGREEMENT IN CHINA TO MEET GROWING DEMAND FOR ALL-ELECTRIC VEHICLES
      Ford and Zotye signed a definitive joint venture agreement to establish Zotye Ford Automobile Co. Ltd., a new 50:50 joint venture that will offer a range of stylish and affordable electric vehicles for consumers in China Pending regulatory approval, the new JV will develop and manufacture all-electric vehicles under a new Chinese brand Zotye Ford also plans to build a new manufacturing plant in Zhejiang Province. A new dedicated sales and service network also will be established Ford and Zotye also will explore the opportunity to offer new mobility services in China to help provide solutions for emerging transportation challenges Beijing, Nov. 8, 2017 -- Ford Motor Company and Zotye today reached a definitive agreement to establish Zotye Ford Automobile Co., Ltd., a new 50:50 joint venture that will offer a range of stylish and affordable all-electric vehicles for consumers in China under a new indigenous brand.
      The agreement was signed in Beijing today by Peter Fleet, Ford group vice president and president, Ford Asia Pacific, and Ying Jianren, chairman of Tech-New Group Ltd. and board director of Zotye Auto.
      Pending regulatory approval, the new JV will design, build, market and distribute all-electric passenger vehicles for China, the world’s leading electric vehicle market. The establishment of the JV is a key step by Ford towards realizing its vision of a cleaner, more environmentally-sustainable future. The new JV will leverage a combined investment of 5 billion RMB (approximately U.S. $756 million).
      The new JV builds upon Ford’s ambitious China electrification strategy. Ford announced earlier this year that at least 70 percent of Ford-branded vehicles sold in the country will offer electrified powertrain options by 2025.
      Zotye Ford plans to build a dedicated product research and development center as well as its own sales and services network. A new manufacturing plant for the JV will be constructed in Zhejiang Province. The all-electric vehicles produced by the JV will be sold under a new Chinese brand designed to meet Chinese consumers’ aspirations for electric vehicles.
      “We are delighted to have signed this joint venture agreement with Zotye to form our third joint venture automotive company in China. Subject to regulatory approval, Zotye Ford will introduce a new brand family of small all-electric vehicles," Fleet said. "We will be exploring innovative vehicle connectivity and mobility service solutions for a new generation of young city-dwelling Chinese customers."
      In addition to the new JV, Ford and Zotye will explore offering mobility services to consumers in China as local demand for such solutions continues to grow.
      Through this new JV, Ford commits to actively support the advancement of a more environmentally sustainable auto industry in China through local research and development as well as domestic production of all-electric vehicles.
      Zotye Auto is a pioneer in the Chinese all-electric vehicle segment. It is the market leader in China’s all-electric small vehicle segment and sold more than 22,500 all-electric vehicles year-to-date through October, representing a growth of over 14 percent year-over-year. The JV will benefit from Zotye’s expertise in designing and commercializing EVs in China, and Ford’s global product development and technology capabilities.
      “This is an important day for Zotye as we partner with Ford to help advance the growth of the Chinese auto industry,” said Zotye’s Ying. “We will work closely together to help meet Chinese consumers’ growing demand for electric vehicles.”
      Upon its establishment, the new JV will expand Ford’s footprint in China. Ford already operates successful vehicle joint ventures with Changan Ford Automobile Corporation, Ltd. and Jiangling Motors Corporation. Ford will continue working closely with its JV partners to develop and manufacture New Energy Vehicles to meet rising consumer demand in China during the impending electrification phase of the Chinese auto industry.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ford has announced a new joint venture with Chinese automaker Zotye on affordable electric vehicles for the Chinese market.
      Named Zotye Ford Automobile, the venture will see the two automakers develop and manufacture electric vehicles for a new brand. Ford and Zotye will be investing a total of 5 billion RMB (about $756 million) on this venture. Part of that investment will go towards a new manufacturing plant in the Zhejiang Province. The two automakers will also work on mobility solutions.
      “We are delighted to have signed this joint venture agreement with Zotye to form our third joint venture automotive company in China. Subject to regulatory approval, Zotye Ford will introduce a new brand family of small all-electric vehicles," said Peter Fleet, Ford group vice president and president of the Asia Pacific region.
      Zoyte knows a thing or two about selling EVs in China. The company has sold 22,500 small EVs within the first 10 months of the year. Zoyte is also very infamous for building the T700 which is a copy of the Porsche Macan crossover.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

FORD AND ZOTYE SIGN DEFINITIVE JV AGREEMENT IN CHINA TO MEET GROWING DEMAND FOR ALL-ELECTRIC VEHICLES
      Ford and Zotye signed a definitive joint venture agreement to establish Zotye Ford Automobile Co. Ltd., a new 50:50 joint venture that will offer a range of stylish and affordable electric vehicles for consumers in China Pending regulatory approval, the new JV will develop and manufacture all-electric vehicles under a new Chinese brand Zotye Ford also plans to build a new manufacturing plant in Zhejiang Province. A new dedicated sales and service network also will be established Ford and Zotye also will explore the opportunity to offer new mobility services in China to help provide solutions for emerging transportation challenges Beijing, Nov. 8, 2017 -- Ford Motor Company and Zotye today reached a definitive agreement to establish Zotye Ford Automobile Co., Ltd., a new 50:50 joint venture that will offer a range of stylish and affordable all-electric vehicles for consumers in China under a new indigenous brand.
      The agreement was signed in Beijing today by Peter Fleet, Ford group vice president and president, Ford Asia Pacific, and Ying Jianren, chairman of Tech-New Group Ltd. and board director of Zotye Auto.
      Pending regulatory approval, the new JV will design, build, market and distribute all-electric passenger vehicles for China, the world’s leading electric vehicle market. The establishment of the JV is a key step by Ford towards realizing its vision of a cleaner, more environmentally-sustainable future. The new JV will leverage a combined investment of 5 billion RMB (approximately U.S. $756 million).
      The new JV builds upon Ford’s ambitious China electrification strategy. Ford announced earlier this year that at least 70 percent of Ford-branded vehicles sold in the country will offer electrified powertrain options by 2025.
      Zotye Ford plans to build a dedicated product research and development center as well as its own sales and services network. A new manufacturing plant for the JV will be constructed in Zhejiang Province. The all-electric vehicles produced by the JV will be sold under a new Chinese brand designed to meet Chinese consumers’ aspirations for electric vehicles.
      “We are delighted to have signed this joint venture agreement with Zotye to form our third joint venture automotive company in China. Subject to regulatory approval, Zotye Ford will introduce a new brand family of small all-electric vehicles," Fleet said. "We will be exploring innovative vehicle connectivity and mobility service solutions for a new generation of young city-dwelling Chinese customers."
      In addition to the new JV, Ford and Zotye will explore offering mobility services to consumers in China as local demand for such solutions continues to grow.
      Through this new JV, Ford commits to actively support the advancement of a more environmentally sustainable auto industry in China through local research and development as well as domestic production of all-electric vehicles.
      Zotye Auto is a pioneer in the Chinese all-electric vehicle segment. It is the market leader in China’s all-electric small vehicle segment and sold more than 22,500 all-electric vehicles year-to-date through October, representing a growth of over 14 percent year-over-year. The JV will benefit from Zotye’s expertise in designing and commercializing EVs in China, and Ford’s global product development and technology capabilities.
      “This is an important day for Zotye as we partner with Ford to help advance the growth of the Chinese auto industry,” said Zotye’s Ying. “We will work closely together to help meet Chinese consumers’ growing demand for electric vehicles.”
      Upon its establishment, the new JV will expand Ford’s footprint in China. Ford already operates successful vehicle joint ventures with Changan Ford Automobile Corporation, Ltd. and Jiangling Motors Corporation. Ford will continue working closely with its JV partners to develop and manufacture New Energy Vehicles to meet rising consumer demand in China during the impending electrification phase of the Chinese auto industry.
    • By William Maley
      Lamborghini has never been one to follow convention and this is very much the case with the Terzo Millennio concept. Working together with MIT, the concept is the Italian sports car builder's idea for a futuristic supercar.
      It certainly looks like a futuristic Lamborghini with a short front, deep and massive air vents, and a wild rear end look. The body is made out of carbon fiber and could be used to store energy. Lamborghini and MIT are investigating how they can use the carbon fiber shell as a big battery. This technology can also allow the vehicle to heal small cracks by varying the amount of charge throughout the body. The car is said to be able to monitor the structure for cracks or other damage.
      As you might have guessed from the previous paragraph, the Terzo Millennio concept is an electric vehicle. Each wheel comes with an electric motor. Power is drawn from a supercapacitor that can withstand rapid discharge and charge. Lamborghini doesn't say how much horsepower is being produced from the electric motors.
      “The new Lamborghini collaboration allows us to be ambitious and think outside the box in designing new materials that answer energy storage challenges for the demands of an electric sport vehicle,” MIT chemistry Professor Mircea Dinca said in a statement.
      We wouldn't be surprised if some of these ideas appear on a Lamborghini down the road.
      Source: Lamborghini 
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook