Chevrolet News:2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Custom Makes the Tahoe Somewhat Affordable

Chevrolet will be introducing a new base model of the 2018 Tahoe called the Custom. The Custom sets itself apart from other Tahoes as it will not have a third-row seat, increasing cargo space to 54 cubic feet. Standard equipment includes 18-inch wheels, 8-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, OnStar 4G LTE with Wi-Fi, backup camera, and remote start.

Like most Tahoes, the Custom features the 5.3L V8 with 355 horsepower. Out of the box, the Tahoe Custom can tow up to 6,600 pounds. An optional max trailering package boosts that to 8,600 pounds.

“The Tahoe Custom is a response to strong customer demand for Tahoe, as well as the full-size SUV segment moving upmarket. In the past five years, the average transaction price for the segment has climbed fueled by customer appetite for features like heated and cooled seats, adaptive cruise control and a head-up display. This created an unmet need in the marketplace for customers who want the cargo and towing capability of a full-size SUV to go camping, boating or off-roading but don’t necessarily want all of the option content offered on a Tahoe Premier,” said Sandor Piszar, Chevrolet Trucks marketing director in a statement.

The 2018 Tahoe Custom arrives at dealers next month with a base price of $44,995.

Source: Chevrolet
Press Release is on Page 2

CHEVROLET INTRODUCES THE TAHOE CUSTOM

• New model offers Tahoe’s legendary capability starting at $44,995

DETROIT — Today Chevrolet announced the new Tahoe Custom special edition for the 2018 model year. Like other Custom models, the Tahoe Custom is intended for buyers who want the uncompromised capability of Chevrolet trucks and SUVs in a great looking package at an outstanding value.

“The Tahoe Custom is a response to strong customer demand for Tahoe, as well as the full-size SUV segment moving upmarket,” said Sandor Piszar, Chevrolet Trucks marketing director. “In the past five years, the average transaction price for the segment has climbed fueled by customer appetite for features like heated and cooled seats, adaptive cruise control and a head-up display. This created an unmet need in the marketplace for customers who want the cargo and towing capability of a full-size SUV to go camping, boating or off-roading but don’t necessarily want all of the option content offered on a Tahoe Premier.”

For $44,995, the 2018 Tahoe Custom comes standard with 6,600 pounds of towing capacity (up to 8,600 pounds of towing with max trailering package), a maximum of 112 cubic feet of cargo space and a 355-hp, 5.3L V-8 engine that delivers an expected segment-leading 23 mpg highway based on EPA estimates.

The Tahoe Custom is based on the LS trim and adds 18-inch painted aluminum wheels, all-season tires and a chrome-accented grille. Plus, Tahoe Custom features a third-row seat that has been removed, increasing cargo space behind the second row to a substantial 54 cubic feet for added utility.

Tahoe Custom also features a suite of connectivity technologies including:

• Apple CarPlay & Android Auto compatibility
  • 4G LTE connectivity with Wi-Fi hotspot (includes three-month/3G data trial)
  • 8-inch color touchscreen radio
  • Standard rear-vision camera
  • Standard remote start
  • Standard teen driver mode
  • Available Enhanced Driver Alert Package that features Forward Collision Alert, Safety Alert Driver Seat, IntelliBeam headlamps with automatic high-beam control, Lane Keep Assist and Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking
  • Up to five USB ports and five power outlets — including a 110-volt three-prong outlet —  to support electronic devices of all kinds (up to 11 charging locations)

Tahoe Custom will be available at Chevy dealers in September 2017.

View full article

WOW, about time, not everyone wants a loaded Tahoe. They should have had this from the start.

This also makes me think that GM is finally realizing that they have hit a top end in pricing and are going to lose customers like everyone if they do not offer lower priced options.

Someone is worried about the forthcoming Bronco.  I feel like Ford can price the Bronco at $35k and clean up.  Good move though to drop the price and have a more basic version if you want a luxury Tahoe that is why they have Denali Yukons.    Chevys should be cheap.

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

WOW, about time, not everyone wants a loaded Tahoe. They should have had this from the start.

This also makes me think that GM is finally realizing that they have hit a top end in pricing and are going to lose customers like everyone if they do not offer lower priced options.

People like me....just want more meat, less toys......

20 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Interesting with the 3rd row delete. 

Not surprising to me as most people don't seem to even use it. 

17 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Someone is worried about the forthcoming Bronco.  I feel like Ford can price the Bronco at $35k and clean up.  Good move though to drop the price and have a more basic version if you want a luxury Tahoe that is why they have Denali Yukons.    Chevys should be cheap.

And Mercedes should not be under $30K yet we will soon have the A Class. See how that can get turned around?

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Not surprising to me as most people don't seem to even use it. 

And Mercedes should not be under $30K yet we will soon have the A Class. See how that can get turned around?

Which is what Chevy should do.  Have a Tahoe V6 at $39,995 because if you want a nicer truck there is the Yukon/Denali, and if you want nicer than that there is the Escalade.  Mercedes has a nice stepping stone product spread.  GM's brands compete with each other half the time.  Chevy needs to be always about value, especially if they are trying to push Buick and GMC as premium or luxury brands.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Which is what Chevy should do.  Have a Tahoe V6 at $39,995 because if you want a nicer truck there is the Yukon/Denali, and if you want nicer than that there is the Escalade.  Mercedes has a nice stepping stone product spread.  GM's brands compete with each other half the time.  Chevy needs to be always about value, especially if they are trying to push Buick and GMC as premium or luxury brands.  

Mercedes models overlap and compete with each other all the time. This is a fact that you seem to forget while criticizing GM yet again for the same thing. 

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Mercedes models overlap and compete with each other all the time. This is a fact that you seem to forget while criticizing GM yet again for the same thing. 

It's a little different in that with M-B it's models within the same brand...while GM's approach has long been overlapping models in multiple brands competing with each other...like Chevy and GMC trucks...extreme examples would be like when they had Chevy, Saturn, Pontiac, Olds and Buick ----most with similar versions of the same model like the minivans, GMT360 SUVs, A-bodies, J-bodies, etc...  for the most part, those days are behind GM, but there is still some of it..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It's a little different in that with M-B it's models within the same brand...while GM's approach has long been overlapping models in multiple brands competing with each other...like Chevy and GMC trucks...extreme examples would be like when they had Chevy, Saturn, Pontiac, Olds and Buick ----most with similar versions of the same model like the minivans, GMT360 SUVs, A-bodies, J-bodies, etc...  for the most part, those days are behind GM, but there is still some of it..

Oh, I'm not denying the overlap but SMK criticizes GM freely on it while ignoring the fact that Benz does the same thing if not worse. 

47 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Oh, I'm not denying the overlap but SMK criticizes GM freely on it while ignoring the fact that Benz does the same thing if not worse. 

But in this case the Tahoe is positioned as a luxury SUV, while the GMC is positioned the same way.  The Tahoe, and ever Chevy truck for that matter should be cheaper than the GMC.  I have long said the base model GMC anything should be priced the same as the Chevy LTZ trim.  The Yukon starts at $48,500, a Tahoe should be $43,500 base, so I like that they dropped the Tahoe price, I think it could drop another grand, or maybe up the Yukon base model to $49,950 and make more standard, then you have a $5k gap at least.

Mercedes doesn't sell 2 of the same of anything like GM does.  Even GLE and GLS which are the closest 2 products they have don't share any body panels.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

But in this case the Tahoe is positioned as a luxury SUV, while the GMC is positioned the same way.  The Tahoe, and ever Chevy truck for that matter should be cheaper than the GMC.  I have long said the base model GMC anything should be priced the same as the Chevy LTZ trim.  The Yukon starts at $48,500, a Tahoe should be $43,500 base, so I like that they dropped the Tahoe price, I think it could drop another grand, or maybe up the Yukon base model to $49,950 and make more standard, then you have a $5k gap at least.

Mercedes doesn't sell 2 of the same of anything like GM does.  Even GLE and GLS which are the closest 2 products they have don't share any body panels.

Wrong on literally all counts. You don't have to share body panels to have sales overlap. I'm not even going to comment on the rest because you have a habit of using imaginary numbers to suit your argument like saying that the current Tahoes price positions itself as luxury when it doesn't. Clearly the luxury position is occupied by the Escalade and to a lesser extent the Yukon Denali. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

So what if there is overlap among brands? For years, my preference in GM truck styling has alternated between GMC and Chevrolet as each generation comes out.  If I don't like the looks of the Ford... say if I was in the Super Duty market around 2008....what other Ford product could I buy?

The current generation of GM trucks is the only one in the last few generations where I actually like both the Chevy (Only in Z71 trim, I don't like the non-Z71 grille) and GMC.

Same goes for Equinox / Terrain / Envision.  These three can overlap substantially on price, yet only 1 of them really has any chance with me.  Can't do that at Ford, Toyota, or Honda.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1