FCA US Reports September 2017 Sales

• FCA US retail sales up year over year in September, compared with same month a year ago
  • Jeep brand and Ram Truck brand retail sales up year over year
  • Jeep® Compass sales up 75 percent; best sales month ever
  • Jeep Renegade, Chrysler Pacifica, Ram ProMaster and Ram ProMaster City each post best September sales ever
  • Dodge Durango sales increase 45 percent; best September sales since 2005
  • A 41 percent year-over-year decline in fleet sales is in line with the FCA US strategy to reduce sales to the daily rental segment

October 3, 2017 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 174,266 units, a 10 percent decrease compared with sales in September 2016 (192,883 units).

In September, retail sales of 146,904 units were up 0.3 percent compared with the same month in 2016 and represented 84 percent of total sales. In line with FCA’s strategy to reduce sales to the daily rental segment, fleet sales of 27,362 units were down, as expected, 41 percent year over year. The largest planned volume reduction in September fleet sales came from the Jeep® brand, which reduced its fleet sales number by 67 percent year over year. Fleet sales represented 16 percent of total FCA US September sales.

Five FCA US vehicles posted record sales in September, including the Jeep Compass. Compass sales were up 75 percent in September, the compact SUV’s best sales month ever. In addition, the Jeep Renegade, Chrysler Pacifica, Ram ProMaster and Ram ProMaster City each recorded their best September sales ever. The Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango and Fiat 500L each posted at least double-digit percentage increases in September, compared with the same month a year ago.

Jeep® Brand
The Jeep Compass posted its best sales month ever, while the Jeep Renegade recorded its best September sales ever. In addition, sales of the Jeep Grand Cherokee – the most-awarded SUV ever – were up 20 percent for its best September sales since the year 2000. Jeep Wrangler sales were up 10 percent in September. While Jeep brand total sales were down, due to its planned reduction in fleet sales to daily rental car companies, the brand’s retail sales at Jeep dealerships were up 9 percent in September, compared with the same month a year ago.

Ram Truck Brand
The Ram ProMaster full-size van and the Ram ProMaster City van each posted their best September sales ever. The Ram pickup truck recorded its best sales month so far this year. Ram Truck brand sales are up 5 percent calendar year to date, compared with the same nine-month period in 2016. The Ram Truck brand’s retail sales were up 3 percent in September, compared with the same month a year ago. The Ram Truck brand unveiled new-for-2018 updates to two of its most popular models at the State Fair of Texas in September. Laramie Longhorn Southfork and Heavy Duty Lone Star Silver models will offer truck buyers an even wider selection of exterior appointments and content.

Chrysler Brand
Sales of the all-new Chrysler Pacifica – the most-awarded minivan of 2016 and 2017 – were up 18 percent last month for its best September sales since launch last year. Parents magazine and Edmunds have named the all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica the “Best Minivan” on their list of the “10 Best Family Cars of 2017.”

FIAT Brand
Sales of the Fiat 500L were up 103 percent last month for its best September sales since 2015 and its best sales month this year. Also in September, the FIAT brand announced the addition of the 2017 Fiat 500X Urbana Edition to its Italian-designed, fun-to-drive Fiat 500X lineup, offering customers yet another way to showcase their personality with their FIAT vehicle. The new 500X Urbana Edition takes the brand’s top-selling Trekking trim, best known for its rugged exterior and interior appearance, and adds unique content with black and copper accents to create a fresh new personality option for FIAT brand customers. 

Dodge Brand
Dodge Durango sales were up 45 percent in September, compared with the same month a year ago, for its best September sales since 2005. Last month the editors at WardsAuto named the new 2018 Dodge Durango SRT to the Wards 10 Best User Experience List for 2017 in recognition of its advanced technology and ease of use. Offering an array of advanced technology features, the Durango SRT comes equipped with a new Uconnect fourth-generation system that includes performance improvements with quicker startup time and enhanced processing power.

Alfa Romeo Brand
Alfa Romeo brand sales of 1,268 units were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago as the all-new Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUV begins to arrive in greater numbers at  U.S. dealerships.

FCA US LLC September 2017.jpg

Either Renegade and Compass are stealing the Cherokee's thunder or the Cherokee is massively outclassed by the Rav4, CRV and Equinox, maybe both.

I am surprised they still sell that many Chargers, even if a lot are fleet sales, 9,000 a month is still a lot for an old dated car, the Impala, Avalon and Taurus combined are probably selling that many.

15 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Either Renegade and Compass are stealing the Cherokee's thunder or the Cherokee is massively outclassed by the Rav4, CRV and Equinox, maybe both.

I am surprised they still sell that many Chargers, even if a lot are fleet sales, 9,000 a month is still a lot for an old dated car, the Impala, Avalon and Taurus combined are probably selling that many.

The charger is still a fantastic car as is the Challenger.  They sell well because they have room, features, and drive great.  Glad the excised the rest of the old benz platform for 15. 

14 hours ago, frogger said:

I would guess the Compass has canibalized the Cherokee sales.. If you need a spacious CUV the Cherokee is not the answer, so the cheaper, almost the same size Compass is a good option.

Cherokee needs a major upgrade.  Compass actually has MORE interior room and the Trailhawk has better approach and departure angles.  I just wish the Compass either got the cherokee's v6 or will get the new turbo 4. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, smk4565 said:

If Benz can still sell a forty year old $140K SUV to the lemmings, then surely selling a six year old $30-40K RWD sedan is not a problem for Dodge. 

21 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

If Benz can still sell a forty year old $140K SUV to the lemmings, then surely selling a six year old $30-40K RWD sedan is not a problem for Dodge. 

Except if you want a $140k SUV there is basically one option.   There are a dozen sedans for $30k.

16 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It's only like 3 years old.. 

14, 15, 16, 17, 18  18 is it's 5th model year. 

16 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Agreed.  And why spend 40k on a Wrangler Unlimited with all the off-rroad ability of the overpriced Benz plus it is a convertible, and the new 18 should have no problem matching it on most features. 

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Except if you want a $140k SUV there is basically one option.   There are a dozen sedans for $30k.

Really? Dozens of RWD sedans for $30K? Go ahead list those dozens of RWD sedans. I’m waiting. 

Oh and there are better choices than spending $140K on a 40 year old SUV including other SUVs by Benz itself.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stew said:

14, 15, 16, 17, 18  18 is it's 5th model year. 

I guess I thought it came out in 15 and didn't include NEXT YEAR, naturally. 

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Oh and there are better choices than spending $140K on a 40 year old SUV including other SUVs by Benz itself.

One could say that about MOST vehicle purchases. Unless the buyer is buying the statistically best vehicle, it could be said about everything else. It all depends what the buyer wants. 

I find the best model year of a said auto is the last year the auto is to be built as the OEM seems to go all out on building everything into the auto and giving it a golden celebration as it sales off into the sunset. Then you seem to have a very reliable solid auto with a bunch of great stuff at a decent price.

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

One could say that about MOST vehicle purchases. Unless the buyer is buying the statistically best vehicle, it could be said about everything else. It all depends what the buyer wants. 

That is not my point though. Read my first reply to SMK and his “Im’ surprised they’re even selling that many Chargers” BS.

59 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

18s are already out and i just like to mess with SMK.  I like the G Wagen or however they spell it, but Surreal is right in his original point. 

On the Cherokee, 18s are already out like with most vehicles. 

49 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I find the best model year of a said auto is the last year the auto is to be built as the OEM seems to go all out on building everything into the auto and giving it a golden celebration as it sales off into the sunset. Then you seem to have a very reliable solid auto with a bunch of great stuff at a decent price.

This is true.  My 04 Dakota has been great.  Been replacing a few front end parts, but it spends a lot of time in the rough and has basically 200k miles on it.  Of course the 01 has been great too, just ready for an engine transplant thanks to water, but has been very solid. 

1 hour ago, Stew said:

18s are already out and i just like to mess with SMK.  I like the G Wagen or however they spell it, but Surreal is right in his original point. 

On the Cherokee, 18s are already out like with most vehicles. 

I've read an MCE is coming for '19 for the Cherokee.   Supposedly they are normalizing the front. 

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've read an MCE is coming for '19 for the Cherokee.   Supposedly they are normalizing the front. 

So wonder if it gets a throw back to the traditional Cherokee front end or more of the GC edition. Be interesting.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

So wonder if it gets a throw back to the traditional Cherokee front end or more of the GC edition. Be interesting.

I do wonder where they will go.. the lighting arrangement on the current model is so odd...big round lights like the Wrangler or Patriot could work also. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings