Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Bought a New Car

5 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

It's not really designated for either, but it's a family hauler that will be shared.

OK, Family hauler, so is it in the car, van or CUV/SUV class and do not just say yes, but state which class please! :P 

6 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Almooooost. That was our first choice, but the deal I got, and the fact that this will be rather short term solution made me go this route.

Tiguan or maybe Touareg

Edited by ykX

8 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Got it!! I award you one imaginary cookie! :AH-HA:

Now, you wanna try for the specific model?

Hmm..SE?    I had a Passat as a rental for 3 weeks last year at this time...when I was back here closing on my house and doing initial remodeling before I moved back in June.   Nice car..very comfortable, good outward visibility, huge trunk..

IMG-1601.JPG

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Hmm..SE?    I had a Passat as a rental for 3 weeks last year at this time...when I was back here closing on my house and doing initial remodeling before I moved back in June.   Nice car..very comfortable, good outward visibility, huge trunk..

IMG-1601.JPG

Nice Cadillac in the Background. :P 

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Reflex Silver SE w/ Tech. Looks just like this-

5.jpg

Congratulations on your new car, wishing you and your family all the best with it.

Thanks. Not quite what I had planned, but 7 grand off AND 0% for 72 mths was kinda hard to say no to. Going to use this as an opportunity to get some debt eliminated and cut costs.

My GTI lease will be up in 1 yr, and I'm going to turn it in to VW. Once I do that, I'm going to focus on improving my 4Runner with new suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, etc. I want to bring it up to good enough shape I have no hesitation in taking it across the country. Or, depending on some other factors, I might trade it in to get back in a newer 4Runner. A TRD Pro or maybe the right Land Cruiser could definitely be a possibility.

• Agree 2

Past VW owners : how has your experience been with reliability/mechanical issues?
Friend of mine has an '08 Passat. He takes meticulous care of it, only has 45K miles on it & he's thinking of selling it. My younger son is going to need a car over the summer, he's about 100 miles away from me at school. All I've heard is VWs are trouble-prone.

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

Past VW owners : how has your experience been with reliability/mechanical issues?
Friend of mine has an '08 Passat. He takes meticulous care of it, only has 45K miles on it & he's thinking of selling it. My younger son is going to need a car over the summer, he's about 100 miles away from me at school. All I've heard is VWs are trouble-prone.

The older generations of 2.0T's are known to have timing belt/chain failures from time to time. It is essential they are serviced/replaced in a timely manner. Other than that, pretty solid. A few minor electrical gremlins, sometimes issues with turbos and ignition stuff. That's about it.

That said, that was a fantastic generation of Passat. First rate driving dynamics, refinement, and build quality. Probably the best Passat ever sold on our shores.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Have to agree with what you say balthazar, I see VW and Fiat alongside the roads here in Washington state than any other auto.

Yea, they sell cheap and have great deals but they seem to break down far more often than any other auto I have seen.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:44 PM, Frisky Dingo said:

Reflex Silver SE w/ Tech. Looks just like this-

5.jpg

Congrats! A buddy of mine just bought a Passat SE with the lighting package as well. His is black instead of silver though but it's a really nice car. 

He got his as a dealer used vehicle with 7800 miles for like $17,500, I think. 

On 2/3/2018 at 7:44 AM, balthazar said:

I've had close friends with both scenarios. TDI Jetta was a tank but MK6 GTI is much less so. 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Congrats! A buddy of mine just bought a Passat SE with the lighting package as well. His is black instead of silver though but it's a really nice car. 

He got his as a dealer used vehicle with 7800 miles for like $17,500, I think. 

I've had close friends with both scenarios. TDI Jetta was a tank but MK6 GTI is much less so. 

We had a Reef Blue SE w/ Lighting Pkg and grey interior that I really wanted because of the color. And I was going to pay a $500 upcharge to get OE VW 18's to replace the SE's awful 17's. 

Problem is, at that point it would have only been $900 less than the SE w/ Teck Pk I bought. And it already has 18's standard, plus Nav, Remote Start, Htd rear seats, adaptive cruise, front/rear park assist, auto-dimming rear view mirror, and HomeLink garage opener. 

Was kind of a no-brainer to get the Tech model, even though it wasn't my most desired color combo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

We had a Reef Blue SE w/ Lighting Pkg and grey interior that I really wanted because of the color. And I was going to pay a $500 upcharge to get OE VW 18's to replace the SE's awful 17's. 

Problem is, at that point it would have only been $900 less than the SE w/ Teck Pk I bought. And it already has 18's standard, plus Nav, Remote Start, Htd rear seats, adaptive cruise, front/rear park assist, auto-dimming rear view mirror, and HomeLink garage opener. 

Was kind of a no-brainer to get the Tech model, even though it wasn't my most desired color combo.

Oh yeah definitely a no-brainer. It's amazing how much better the car looks with the 18's than 17's. Spend the $400 extra to get way more than $400 with of upgades, imo. 

Then again that can be said about most cars... 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Oh yeah definitely a no-brainer. It's amazing how much better the car looks with the 18's than 17's. Spend the $400 extra to get way more than $400 with of upgades, imo. 

Then again that can be said about most cars... 

Yeah, the standard 17's are absolute appalling. And then when you combine that w/ no Lighting Pkg....well, you get this-

051.jpg

vs same car w/ Lighting and wheels-

1075c967e88aebfbf162218213a50108.jpg

and in R-Line-

maxresdefault.jpg

They improved the standard SE for 2018. Wheels are much better-

f7e93e26b096956a22e8d331357c7d39.jpg

I'm really not sure why we put crappy wheels on cars in 2018. They are such a critical design element. It's like the moment you go below an 18" wheel size, the designs go to rubbish. And don't even get me started on steelies w/ hubcaps. :nono:

Edited by Frisky Dingo

42 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Yeah, the standard 17's are absolute appalling. And then when you combine that w/ no Lighting Pkg....well, you get this-

051.jpg

vs same car w/ Lighting and wheels-

1075c967e88aebfbf162218213a50108.jpg

and in R-Line-

maxresdefault.jpg

They improved the standard SE for 2018. Wheels are much better-

f7e93e26b096956a22e8d331357c7d39.jpg

I'm really not sure why we put crappy wheels on cars in 2018. They are such a critical design element. It's like the moment you go below an 18" wheel size, the designs go to rubbish. And don't even get me started on steelies w/ hubcaps. :nono:

It's crazy how such a small change can make a car look basic and sh!tty versus clean and very nice. 

My buddy was going to buy a R Line but came across the SE, like yours, and couldn't pass up the equipment upgrade for very little extra cash. 

There are still plenty of 17" wheels out there that look good but they're on smaller vehicles so they're proportioned "pretty good" still. 

My friend is contemplating buying these that he found on the ole craigslist(if you don't buy them first!)

19" Audi S4 Wheels

@ccap41

Yeah, the R Line just doesn't have enough equipment to make it an option for a long distance driver for us. No rear-seat vents, and no Push-Start in particular are deal killers.

I really like those Audi Peelers (their wheel name), but I wouldn't pay that much money just for some curbed wheels. The tires are too wide to run on a Passat without rubbing. The wheels would look great on one, though.

I plan on going with OE CC turbines-

attachment.php?attachmentid=1953&d=13811

40 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

@ccap41

Yeah, the R Line just doesn't have enough equipment to make it an option for a long distance driver for us. No rear-seat vents, and no Push-Start in particular are deal killers.

I really like those Audi Peelers (their wheel name), but I wouldn't pay that much money just for some curbed wheels. The tires are too wide to run on a Passat without rubbing. The wheels would look great on one, though.

I plan on going with OE CC turbines-

attachment.php?attachmentid=1953&d=13811

I didn't even notice those were curbed. I wouldn't buy curbed wheels either, no way. 

Aren't the OE wheels 235's and those Audi wheels were 255's? That alone shouldn't cause a rub. I think I calculated it out on a website utilizing offset and comparing to the OE wheels and they would stick out 11mm further and like 2mm further in. I think that would fit about perfect. 

Those CC wheels are PRETTY!

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I didn't even notice those were curbed. I wouldn't buy curbed wheels either, no way. 

Aren't the OE wheels 235's and those Audi wheels were 255's? That alone shouldn't cause a rub. I think I calculated it out on a website utilizing offset and comparing to the OE wheels and they would stick out 11mm further and like 2mm further in. I think that would fit about perfect. 

Those CC wheels are PRETTY!

Offset certainly figures into it, but I'm almost certain one of our guys had 255's on a current body style Passat and it rubbed at full lock. Not sure on the wheel specs though. Still, they're winter tires, so I would want to go even narrower on those.

I'd just wear out the winter rubber and buy a new set when they're worn out. He'd be buying them for a daily wheel not a winter beater wheel but I bet if he say they had any curb rash on them he'd be out. 

It's hard to imagine that their margin for scraping is that small, 20mm. Considering it isn't all going towards the inside.