Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Cadillac News: Possible Cadillac Coupe is Revealed in New Patent

The U.S. Patent and and Trademark Office (USPTO) sometimes provides some clues as to what automakers have possibly in the works. Case in point are a set of drawings depicting a new coupe for Cadillac.

General Motors filed the patent for a “vehicle body exterior” on February 14th, 2017. The patent was approved by the USPTO earlier this week.

The drawings reveal a fair amount of influence from the Escala. Up front resides a trapezoidal grille and a set of slim headlights. Along the side profile, the design shares the Escala's low-slung roof and creases. The back features a trunk lid with chiseling near the taillights.

What could this patent be hinting at?

1. Cadillac Society believes this could be the coupe variant for the upcoming CT5.
  2. CarScoops thinks it could be a concept of some sort, pointing out the side-view cameras.
  3. Possible electric/plug-in hybrid coupe

We'll keep you posted if anything new comes to light on this possible new coupe.

Source: Cadillac Society, CarScoops
Thanks to @balthazar for the news tip

View full article

Reviewing all the pictures, one thing is clear to me, this is an Ev\Hybrid concept at the worst, actual new auto at the best. 

I have to say that while it does go away from the arts n science, I do like it very much.

6 hours ago, regfootball said:

i want my art and science back, how is this 'Cadillac'

it might be a transformers camaro cadillac.  sheesh

I agree, it looks like something out of a Hot Wheels set that you'd slingshot down a plastic track through a loop.  

But it is just a patent drawing which could mean almost nothing, and who know if they will even build something like this.  Although I do think they need a halo product coupe, something that attracts people to the brand.

Interesting... the stepped decklid area reminds me of the BMW 6 series from about 12 years ago..the roof shape is similar to the Mustang, with a Lexus RC-ish side window treatment.   What's up with the deep scoops in the taillight area?   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I agree, it looks like something out of a Hot Wheels set that you'd slingshot down a plastic track through a loop.  

But it is just a patent drawing which could mean almost nothing, and who know if they will even build something like this.  Although I do think they need a halo product coupe, something that attracts people to the brand.

Halo product does NOT have to be a coupe. Coupe style has been overkill by the auto industry. 

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting... the stepped decklid area reminds me of the BMW 6 series from about 12 years ago..the roof shape is similar to the Mustang, with a Lexus RC-ish side window treatment.   What's up with the deep scoops in the taillight area?   

There are clearly airflow attributes to the front and back that would be done for a skateboard ev auto. Those could be specific air inlets for cooling / cabin fresh air.

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Is filing design patents for car styling a relatively new thing?  Wasn't really familiar w/ this going on..

I know it's happened a few times with other cars. I also read elsewhere China has instigated this with some of their blatant copying.

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I know it's happened a few times with other cars. I also read elsewhere China has instigated this with some of their blatant copying.

Makes sense to keep the Chinese at bay and not allow them to just rip off the US and other countries.