Jump to content

Rivian R1T Pickup Has A 400 Mile Range and Tows Up To 11,000 Pounds: Comments


William Maley

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Huh. Despite having fully 20" more wheelbase and being an EV, the R1T is WAY down on interior dimensions vs. a '20 Tahoe;

2" LESS head room

3.3" LESS leg room

6" LESS hip room

What's the excuse there, I wonder?

Agree, I have to wonder myself about that and if the email response I got is estimated by the guy since nothing has been posted on the web site as official numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

Huh. Despite having fully 20" more wheelbase and being an EV, the R1T is WAY down on interior dimensions vs. a '20 Tahoe;

2" LESS head room

3.3" LESS leg room

6" LESS hip room

What's the excuse there, I wonder?

What does wheelbase have to do with headroom or hip room? A 2020 CT6 has 6" more wheelbase than a Tahoe and has less headroom and hip room too. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

What does wheelbase have to do with headroom or hip room? A 2020 CT6 has 6" more wheelbase than a Tahoe and has less headroom and hip room too. 

Nothing... and he compared the truck version wheelbase w an SUV..invalid comparison.  The R1S has a 5 inch longer wheelbase than the Tahoe, 2 inches longer than the Durango.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

• Wheelbase doesn't determine head or hip room, but it certainly has everything to do with leg room. I included the other stats since we were talking about front seat room/fitting in general.
I also found it interesting given the common claim that EV powertrains should provide 'much more' interior room. There; that logically could go to head room too, but perhaps that's conjecture.

• Hip room is the #1 issue with vehicles IMO, and that's purely an engineering/planning decision. 55" is nothing to brag about, and since they were starting from scratch, it would've been nice to see something closer to 58-60" there. Tahoe was just engineered as a full-size SUV, and anyone considering a move to a Rivian would definitely notice the much tighter interior.

I may be spoiled; working on a car with 66" of front hip room and driving a truck with 61" of hip room (despite having a console taking up from that number).

• Pickup vs. SUV is completely valid when talking about front seat dimensions. Front seat in either doesn't care if the bed out back is covered or not.

Any modern manufacturing efficiency would utilize as much shared components as possible- I expect most of the front cabin of the R1T and R1S to interchange, or at least be dimensionally identical. No reason to start from scratch on that.

Edited by balthazar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The Rivian R1S SUV outside dimensions are very similar to the Durango.  Probably a better size comparison than the Tahoe. 

Rivian is 2 or 3 price tiers above a Durango; I don't see them being cross-shopped. But comparing interiors is logical.
I was figuring a Tahoe owner (starts at $50K) is far more likely in the market for a Rivian ($70K) than a Durango owner (starts at $30K).

Edited by balthazar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Rivian is 2 or 3 price tiers above a Durango; I don't see them being cross-shopped. But comparing interiors is logical.
I was figuring a Tahoe owner (starts at $50K) is far more likely in the market for a Rivian ($70K) than a Durango owner (starts at $30K).

I didn’t say anything about price, not a factor.  I was comparing dimensions.   Seems like Rivian is more like a 3 row midsize SUV than a full size. No one is going to cross shop a Rivian with a Tahoe either.  An EV customer wouldn’t be considering ICE products. 

Edited by Robert Hall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That wasn't the point- there ARE Tahoe owners, there are no Rivian owners. Rivian needs SUV buyers to switch to the new nameplate, and the segment leader in full-size SUVs is basically the Tahoe, and the two are only 5 inches apart in length, but there's a significant room penalty in the R1S.
'20 Tahoe Premier starts at $63K, so close to the supposed R1S price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That wasn't the point- there ARE Tahoe owners, there are no Rivian owners. Rivian needs SUV buyers to switch to the new nameplate, and the segment leader in full-size SUVs is basically the Tahoe, and the two are only 5 inches apart in length, but there's a significant room penalty in the R1S.
'20 Tahoe Premier starts at $63K, so close to the supposed R1S price.

Length is meaningless since it includes overhangs,  it's the interior space within the wheelbase that really matters..the Rivian has a 5 inch longer wheelbase than the Tahoe.   But is smaller inside, it sounds like.

Edited by Robert Hall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ That's a step backward in packaging efficiency.
But overall length isn't irrelevant- to the largest degree it determines interior space. Can't get Excursion interior space in an Escape.

 

If manufacturers are optimizing packaging efficiency, Rivian should at least have close to 5" more legroom (total), instead of 3+ inches less.

Edited by balthazar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, balthazar said:

^ That's a step backward in packaging efficiency.
But overall length isn't irrelevant- to the largest degree it determines interior space. Can't get Excursion interior space in an Escape.

Overall length only affects the rear cargo area.  Wheelbase is more important for interior space and how the interior is situated within the wheelbase. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Wheelbase is the prime factor. Which is why it's so puzzling the R1S has so much less.

I haven't seen any cutaway pics of the Rivian, but I wonder how much height does the skateboard/battery pack take up of the floor?   I wonder how the floor to roof distance compares to a BOF design like the Tahoe or a unibody like the Durango...  

Edit--found a cutaway pic of the R1S..looks like it has a flat floor.

how-does-the-rivian--4_1600x0w.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...