Rivian R1T Pickup Has A 400 Mile Range and Tows Up To 11,000 Pounds: Comments

William Maley

35 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Super smart people don't necessarily make the best business people.. Just sayin' education doesn't equate to a successful company. 

Very true in most cases, but this guy also has degrees in business, has the connections and is backed by some big investment companies and MIT. Just like @Robert Hall had not heard of them till now, they really worked hard on a quality product with not wasting money for look at me crap like Faraday or Tesla did.

I am excited to see the Rivian SUV that is to be shown at LA. They had teased so much on the truck, then early release info and pictures. Now we will get to see the final info on the truck, hands on people checking it out and their production ready SUV that is supposed to go into production at the same time as the truck at the Former Mitsubishi plant.

Unlike so many others, I actually think this has a great chance to succeed in the market.

I am also hoping that GM will finally show off at least 1 if not 2 of their EVs at the LA show.

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This is still a concept.. I think saying this isn't a crap product should hold off until there is at least a rolling product with doors and a cup holder. 

Unlike true concepts that barely move around on their own, Rivian has shown the truck out in the woods actually being driven off road, going through rivers, etc. I think while some of their pictures have been from the initial concept they built, many are also of what should be a production near ready truck and I think we will see this at the autoshow once media have access to it. I would think they would have cup holders by then. :P I could be wrong through. Still exciting times for auto's.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Unlike true concepts that barely move around on their own, Rivian has shown the truck out in the woods actually being driven off road, going through rivers, etc.  

Interesting...I assumed those were Photoshop or other CGI renderings. So maybe running prototypes were used. 

Edited by Robert Hall

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I had to look more into it as well but here's a video of it. It seems pretty real.

https://vimeo.com/301410788

I also found the cup holders in the video. 

EV Truck2.PNG

That Rocks, Thank you CCAP41 for finding this. I have been reading good things on the off-road capabilities of this truck. I could actually see myself buying this as a family hauler and for yard duty. My wife wants a truck big enough to haul us and our two grown kids occasionally plus let her go to Home Depot or the Nursery and buy stuff and throw it in back. Her final request is it be EV, so this truck would fit all her desires. Exciting for sure.

Have to say this video gives even more space and room that this truck offers. Love the Surf board that fits in the funky storage between the cab and bed. I love the sizing of holding a full size cooler in the Frunk. Clearly cup holders are there as CCAP41 points out.

image.png

• Upvote 1

@Robert Hall @ccap41 So the video is very easy to identify where they filmed. Started in Downtown Portland, they then drove up to and over the last bridge going over the Columbia River called "The Bridge of the Gods" into Washington state and the beach where they go surfing and camping is just south of Westport on the coast and Yes, those roads are always very sparse with traffic like that. Common to only see a few cars at a time.

1hr and 32min till the Rivian reveal of their SUV the R1S! :metal:

Good reading stuff in their newsroom

https://www.rivian.com/news 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@Robert Hall @ccap41 So the video is very easy to identify where they filmed. Started in Downtown Portland, they then drove up to and over the last bridge going over the Columbia River called "The Bridge of the Gods" into Washington state and the beach where they go surfing and camping is just south of Westport on the coast and Yes, those roads are always very sparse with traffic like that. Common to only see a few cars at a time.

Yes, I thought the bridge looked familiar...I've driven over it before.  I saw the map briefly early in the video and thought it was the Portland area.   Beautiful place, so much more interesting than the fecal desert void I wasted a decade in.   I really need to take a vacation to the PNW..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Love the Surf board that fits in the funky storage between the cab and bed.

I'm still really curious about this. I can't imagine it being large enough for a real surf board. It just doesn't look that large of an opening but I absolutely love that they're utilizing that space. That and the frunk are two huge reason EVs should take off eventually. Once automakers learn how to really package them better I think that should be a huge advertising point. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Yes, I thought the bridge looked familiar...I've driven over it before.  I saw the map briefly early in the video and thought it was the Portland area.   Beautiful place, so much more interesting than the fecal desert void I wasted a decade in.   I really need to take a vacation to the PNW..

Come visit and if you come north enough to the seattle area let me know and we can connect up.

• Upvote 1

I know Tesla has gotten a lot of flack for not having physical buttons in the center console area so what're your thoughts on a very similar idea here? 

Personally, I would prefer a few knobs. I would like temp and radio knobs for sure and probably a couple for each of those as well. 

Thinking about it more, maybe just a volume knob and a temperature knob for each passenger. Maybe just 3 knobs would get the job done. Location of the air and radio station could be on the screen. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ccap41 said:

I know Tesla has gotten a lot of flack for not having physical buttons in the center console area so what're your thoughts on a very similar idea here? 

Personally, I would prefer a few knobs. I would like temp and radio knobs for sure and probably a couple for each of those as well. 

Thinking about it more, maybe just a volume knob and a temperature knob for each passenger. Maybe just 3 knobs would get the job done. Location of the air and radio station could be on the screen. 

I do like a few knobs, I certainly like having volume/station/etc controls on the steering wheel.  I use those more than the touchscreen controls in my Jeep.   My preference for knobs or other physical controls are that I should be able to do basic things without glancing down from the road.  Can't do that with touchscreen-only controls. 

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm still really curious about this. I can't imagine it being large enough for a real surf board. It just doesn't look that large of an opening but I absolutely love that they're utilizing that space. That and the frunk are two huge reason EVs should take off eventually. Once automakers learn how to really package them better I think that should be a huge advertising point. 

You got me curious about the surfboard statement. The width of the truck is 79.33 inches. According to the web site the length of that storage compartment is 78 inches or 6 feet 5 inches long. The guy looks to be about 5'8" tall to 5'10" tall and when he goes into the water you can see the surfboard is the same size as he is in length. This appears to be a real life board that can store there. Now at the end there is two boards as both he and the woman go into the ocean to surf, so I do question where the second board was stored.

No matter what, you nailed it in your statement that the whole packaging of these EV auto's is going to offer flexibility that we have not had in a long time if ever in ice auto's.

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

I do like a few knobs, I certainly like having volume/station/etc controls on the steering wheel.  I use those more than the touchscreen controls in my Jeep.   My preference for knobs or other physical controls are that I should be able to do basic things without glancing down from the road.  Can't do that with touchscreen-only controls. 

So in reading of the Rivian web site news section and technology section, they are stating that the auto will be voice controlled via connection with your phone. So Apple Siri or Ok Google will be used I would think to adjust all that.

Like you both, I would be happy with a couple knobs for the most commonly used items, but I could be totally touch screen if it has voice control to turn things on/off or adjust while driving.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

No matter what, you nailed it in your statement that the whole packaging of these EV auto's is going to offer flexibility that we have not had in a long time if ever in ice auto's.

It is fascinating when you think of a typical ICE SUV or truck, the huge volume of space used by the old school dirty bits--the whole front end forward of the windshield, the center tunnel, etc.   So the Rivian video mentioned 4 electric motors--each wheel has a dedicated motor, I presume. 

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It is fascinating when you think of a typical ICE SUV or truck, the huge volume of space used by the old school dirty bits--the whole front end forward of the windshield, the center tunnel, etc.   So the Rivian video mentioned 4 electric motors--each wheel has a dedicated motor, I presume. 

Yes, from what I can gather from their website, it is.

image.png

They seem to be connected in the center of each wheel section like a differential. I suspect this gives them a very solid center of gravity and ride quality with the weight of the battery pack too.

36 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I would not be a fan of voice activated controls. I only use that for short, quick texts and occasionally to set a destination on my maps but I would not like voice activated HVAC and radio controls. 

As an option over touching the screen, I could be happy with telling it to set the temp at 68 degrees. At least they will have touch capable as well as voice.

:roflmao: I just found a dig at Tesla in their tech section. They say the following about their battery:

to give you the confidence to go further regardless of terrain or temperature. 

I cannot imagine with all the known issues of Tesla be it outside in extreme temps like death valley or at the track racing where their battery tech overheats and shuts down that this is not a dig at them. LOL

39 minutes ago, dfelt said:

As an option over touching the screen, I could be happy with telling it to set the temp at 68 degrees. At least they will have touch capable as well as voice.

I just don't like that there is always a second or two delay after you hit the button to talk, then you tell it something, then another second or two delay. That is really inconvenient when you're having a conversation with a passenger. 

Loving the live Reveal of the SUV and Truck. Stupid Lunch break, but hopefully we still get to see the interior of the 3 row full size SUV. I am loving that it is NOT A COUPE design. LOVE the Green SUV!

image.png

image.png

image.png

800 HP, Torque Vectoring AWD activity vehicles. These will Sell way better than Tesla Cars!

image.png

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Hmmmm I am still not a fan of the headlights and forward.  I like the boxy look but it doesn't come off as a full-size SUV. The guy standing there has his head at least halfway over the vehicle. His eyes can look clear over it and I doubt he is 7ft tall. 

So the air suspension on this goes from 230 mm to 380 mm. For this reveal they had it at 260mm. So it can still rise up more or as RJ says, can be dropped down to 230 for maximum performance handling and airstream. So at full ride height, the SUV would be 5 inches taller than it is right now.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20181029/OEM06/181029762/rivian-scaringe-lean-manufacturing

Good read on Rivian.