Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

First Impressions: 2020 Mazda 3: Comments

Unlike the 2020 Toyota Corolla, Mazda didn't let the dog eat their homework.  

Mazda is serious about making itself into a premium Japanese brand and the Mazda 3 is just the latest proof of that.  The 3 is equipped with one of the largest displacement base engines in the segment without relying on laggy turbo-chargers.  While power figures haven't been released yet, we expect them to be around the 184 horsepower and 185 pound-feet of torque that engine currently produces when purchased in the CX-5 and 6. Power without lag is a luxury these days and the 3 should deliver that in spades. Sometime late next year, Mazda will be introducing an HCCI version (think diesel technology in a gasoline engine) of this engine that will deliver even higher fuel economy numbers.  The addition of AWD for the Mazda 3 should be making Subaru nervous.

2020 Mazda 3-3.jpg

The real story though is on the interior.  If you were one of the 12 people who were pining for a refreshed version of the Buick Verano, I would send you posthaste to the Mazda dealership (sometime in early spring 2019) to pick up a Mazda 3.  The interior is nothing short of fantastic for this segment.  A beautiful minimalist design and excellent materials are found throughout. The interior of the 3 is one that can compete with an Audi A3 or Mercedes A-Class and credibly win.

2020 Mazda 3-2.jpg

Out of the park home run. The this new 3 is the new best in class...... That's my opinion of the 2020 Mazda 3.

Related: 2019 Mazda3 Pulls Out All of the Stops

View full article

13 hours ago, regfootball said:

as usual per Mazda, all talk and no go.  Replete with a Japanese style imitation BMW interior.

2.5L engine is more powerful than most of the competition.  3 will be hoot to drive with it.

• Agree 1

I thought the previous Mazda 3 had the best interior in segment, this looks even better.  And I think the Mazda 6 has the best interior in the next segment up.  These guys know what they are doing when it comes to cars.  I hope everyone that used to buy a Ford, Chevy or FCA sedan heads over to Mazda because they have good product.

4 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I thought the previous Mazda 3 had the best interior in segment, this looks even better.  And I think the Mazda 6 has the best interior in the next segment up.  These guys know what they are doing when it comes to cars.  I hope everyone that used to buy a Ford, Chevy or FCA sedan heads over to Mazda because they have good product.

My problem with Mazda is their relentless pursuit of "urban" style in their vehicles.  They have nothing that is country-fied, like me.  I do think they're purdy but they just don't fit my personality.  The old B-Series truck and the Tribute were the last Mazdas that were remotely suited to country life.  New ones are so cute I'd be afraid to get them dirty.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

My problem with Mazda is their relentless pursuit of "urban" style in their vehicles.  They have nothing that is country-fied, like me.  I do think they're purdy but they just don't fit my personality.  The old B-Series truck and the Tribute were the last Mazdas that were remotely suited to country life.  New ones are so cute I'd be afraid to get them dirty.

That's actually funny and somewhat true :)

While they don't have anything rugged like trucks or real SUVs they still can get dirty (in a suburban way, not true country stile) :)

ColoradoClimb_42-e1537741285364.jpg

2018-Mazda-CX-9-gray-in-snow-side-view_o

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1