Chicago 2019: 2020 Subaru Legacy Preview: Comments

Subaru has announced that next week, it will be showing off the all-new 2020 Legacy at the Chicago Auto Show. To promote the announcement, the Japanese automaker has dropped a couple of teaser images.

The exterior looks to be an evolution of the current shape, complete with the same headlights as on the 2018 Legacy. Previous spy photos hint at a larger grille and a lower roofline. We have a slightly better idea with the interior as it appears Subaru is going with a more premium look. There's also a large tablet screen that houses a number of functions for the driver and passenger. We can make out some physical controls for the volume and tune.

We're expecting the 2020 Legacy to move to the modular platform that underpins the new Ascent, Forester, and Impreza.

Source: Subaru

Legacy teaser image.jpg

Legacy_teaser_image_2.jpg

View full article

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I am a huge tech junkie but I am way past over these oversized tablets in cars. Just keeping those damn things clean has to be an OCD nightmare. 

I think that IS the rage of the future...or the moment, in cars.

Thinking this may be one of the best affordable sedans available.

4 minutes ago, regfootball said:

except that Subarus drive like crap.  And have lackluster powertrains.  Apart from a WRX.

Agreed...but this car offers something unique in terms of AWD, resale, reliability, and Subaru knows how to run a business. Unlike VW and some other companies.

And nobody builds a CVT that I like.

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

I'd rather it keep the H6 option. 

I don't know, I was really underwhelmed by that combo in the Outback, I think it was in 2016 when I drove it after trying out a Sportwagen with the 1.8T.  Just felt like an old massively understeering car from 1999.  Softly sprung, CVT, larger ground clearance did not do it any favours I guess.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, frogger said:

I don't know, I was really underwhelmed by that combo in the Outback, I think it was in 2016 when I drove it after trying out a Sportwagen with the 1.8T.  Just felt like an old massively understeering car from 1999.  Softly sprung, CVT, larger ground clearance did not do it any favours I guess.

As an enthusiast....it is kind of hard to find mainstream cars that live up to your expectations. 

Have been impressed with the Legacy and Camry both as FWD sedans as basic sedans. But neither of them is an Audi A4, GLI Jetta, Kia Stinger, Cadilalc CTS or the like.

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

As an enthusiast....it is kind of hard to find mainstream cars that live up to your expectations. 

Have been impressed with the Legacy and Camry both as FWD sedans as basic sedans. But neither of them is an Audi A4, GLI Jetta, Kia Stinger, Cadilalc CTS or the like. 

The Sportwagen impressed me despite its obvious power deficit.  Granted it was probably a foot shorter, 600lbs lighter, ~200 of that in the engine bay over the front wheels.

Maybe the new Outback and Legacy will take a leap forward the same way the Camry has.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I think that IS the rage of the future...or the moment, in cars.

Thinking this may be one of the best affordable sedans available.

Affordable? They are as overpriced as the rest and up until the preview photo, have had dated interiors and questionable power (aside from the WRX lineup of course). Aside from their AWD prowess, which has always been top notch, I have found nothing appealing about Subarus if you don’t have snow and ice to deal with for six months out the year. Between floating tablets and oversized tablets that now have HVAC controls built in (as opposed to actual knobs that are much easier to find and handle while driving), I am just becoming less enameled with the some of the new stuff out there. Guess I’m showing my “old fart” card here but crap like oversized tablets are why the average new car has become to pricey and out of reach for the average customer. 

• Agree 1

No reason to get this if the new Altima has AWD option.  Not that either are peaches.  Just wait till some super low mileage CPO 18+ AWD Regal sportbacks hit the used car lots en masse.

Actually also, even though many have no love for Ford, for 2019 the Fusion has a great configuration package available for CHEAP.  You can get a 2.0 AWD SE Fusion and it will have all the safety stuff mostly, plus the 2.0 twin scroll and AWD and it stickers for dirt cheap.  And all the rebates.

17 minutes ago, regfootball said:

No reason to get this if the new Altima has AWD option.  Not that either are peaches.  Just wait till some super low mileage CPO 18+ AWD Regal sportbacks hit the used car lots en masse.

Actually also, even though many have no love for Ford, for 2019 the Fusion has a great configuration package available for CHEAP.  You can get a 2.0 AWD SE Fusion and it will have all the safety stuff mostly, plus the 2.0 twin scroll and AWD and it stickers for dirt cheap.  And all the rebates.

Actually I think Fusion hybrid titanium cpo would be a sweet spot there. Or...if a Fusion Sport ever came up CPO.

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

i may be open to considering slumming on one of those 400 horse MKZ v6 turbos, once those get cheap.... the interior on those is so cheap.  you expect cheap on a Fusion, Lincolns are getting better but the MKZ still has the old crud

For me  I would much rather have an A4 or an older C class Benz

3 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

The question is how affordable. I get the feeling we are going to pay for that new tablet screen....

Agreed...was 💡 in comparison to infinity and Acura.

15 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

For me  I would much rather have an A4 or an older C class Benz

Could ya fit in the C-class benz? There is no leg room.

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Reminds me of the big one optional in the Ram 1500..

I would hope everyone here could afford the big one, I hear partners / spouses prefer it! :P 

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Could ya fit in the C-class benz? There is no leg room.

Yes. I am not shrek...friend and co worker of mine has a 16 year old son your size. Kid plays hockey...on skates he is slightly under seven feet tall.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1