Chicago 2019: 2020 Subaru Legacy Preview

Would You Look At that Large Tablet Screen!

Subaru has announced that next week, it will be showing off the all-new 2020 Legacy at the Chicago Auto Show. To promote the announcement, the Japanese automaker has dropped a couple of teaser images.

The exterior looks to be an evolution of the current shape, complete with the same headlights as on the 2018 Legacy. Previous spy photos hint at a larger grille and a lower roofline. We have a slightly better idea with the interior as it appears Subaru is going with a more premium look. There's also a large tablet screen that houses a number of functions for the driver and passenger. We can make out some physical controls for the volume and tune.

We're expecting the 2020 Legacy to move to the modular platform that underpins the new Ascent, Forester, and Impreza.

Source: Subaru

Legacy teaser image.jpg

Legacy_teaser_image_2.jpg

I am a huge tech junkie but I am way past over these oversized tablets in cars. Just keeping those damn things clean has to be an OCD nightmare.

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I think that IS the rage of the future...or the moment, in cars.

Thinking this may be one of the best affordable sedans available.

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

For an affordable sedan, this is a spectacular choice given the AWD system, reliability and resale of Subaru.  Makes the Malibu rather irrelevant.

except that Subarus drive like crap.  And have lackluster powertrains.  Apart from a WRX.

4 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Agreed...but this car offers something unique in terms of AWD, resale, reliability, and Subaru knows how to run a business. Unlike VW and some other companies.

And nobody builds a CVT that I like.

45 minutes ago, frogger said:

Offer the 2.4L turbo motor from the Ascent to make it interesting.

I'd rather it keep the H6 option.

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

I'd rather it keep the H6 option.

I don't know, I was really underwhelmed by that combo in the Outback, I think it was in 2016 when I drove it after trying out a Sportwagen with the 1.8T.  Just felt like an old massively understeering car from 1999.  Softly sprung, CVT, larger ground clearance did not do it any favours I guess.

4 minutes ago, frogger said:

As an enthusiast....it is kind of hard to find mainstream cars that live up to your expectations.

Have been impressed with the Legacy and Camry both as FWD sedans as basic sedans. But neither of them is an Audi A4, GLI Jetta, Kia Stinger, Cadilalc CTS or the like.

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The Sportwagen impressed me despite its obvious power deficit.  Granted it was probably a foot shorter, 600lbs lighter, ~200 of that in the engine bay over the front wheels.

Maybe the new Outback and Legacy will take a leap forward the same way the Camry has.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I think that IS the rage of the future...or the moment, in cars.

Thinking this may be one of the best affordable sedans available.

Affordable? They are as overpriced as the rest and up until the preview photo, have had dated interiors and questionable power (aside from the WRX lineup of course). Aside from their AWD prowess, which has always been top notch, I have found nothing appealing about Subarus if you don’t have snow and ice to deal with for six months out the year. Between floating tablets and oversized tablets that now have HVAC controls built in (as opposed to actual knobs that are much easier to find and handle while driving), I am just becoming less enameled with the some of the new stuff out there. Guess I’m showing my “old fart” card here but crap like oversized tablets are why the average new car has become to pricey and out of reach for the average customer.

No reason to get this if the new Altima has AWD option.  Not that either are peaches.  Just wait till some super low mileage CPO 18+ AWD Regal sportbacks hit the used car lots en masse.

Actually also, even though many have no love for Ford, for 2019 the Fusion has a great configuration package available for CHEAP.  You can get a 2.0 AWD SE Fusion and it will have all the safety stuff mostly, plus the 2.0 twin scroll and AWD and it stickers for dirt cheap.  And all the rebates.

17 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Actually I think Fusion hybrid titanium cpo would be a sweet spot there. Or...if a Fusion Sport ever came up CPO.

i may be open to considering slumming on one of those 400 horse MKZ v6 turbos, once those get cheap.... the interior on those is so cheap.  you expect cheap on a Fusion, Lincolns are getting better but the MKZ still has the old crud

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

For me  I would much rather have an A4 or an older C class Benz

20 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The question is how affordable. I get the feeling we are going to pay for that new tablet screen....

3 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Agreed...was 💡 in comparison to infinity and Acura.

15 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

For me  I would much rather have an A4 or an older C class Benz

Could ya fit in the C-class benz? There is no leg room.

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Reminds me of the big one optional in the Ram 1500..

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Reminds me of the big one optional in the Ram 1500..

I would hope everyone here could afford the big one, I hear partners / spouses prefer it! :P

Could ya fit in the C-class benz? There is no leg room.

Yes. I am not shrek...friend and co worker of mine has a 16 year old son your size. Kid plays hockey...on skates he is slightly under seven feet tall.

I felt very mixed when I reviewed the Mitsubishi Outlander last year, There was a lot to like about the crossover, but the list of negatives pushed me towards recommending it if you could find one at a good price. How would I feel when I drove the Outlander PHEV? Spoiler: About the same.
      (Author's Note: If you're looking for thoughts on the interior, I will direct you to my Mitsubishi Outlander review from last year as the PHEV shares all of the positives and negatives from the standard model.)
      Not much is different from the standard Outlander I drove last year to the PHEV except for the various hybrid badging around the vehicle, and additional fuel filler door on the rear passenger-side fender housing the charging outlets. The hybrid system is comprised of 60kW electric motors mounted on each axle providing 80 horsepower. The motors draw their power from a 12 kWh lithium-ion battery. A 2.0L inline-four acts as the generator for the battery and can power the wheels in certain situations. Total output stands at 190 hp. The driver has three different drive modes for which the Outlander can operate. EV which makes the Outlander PHEV only run electric power; Battery Save which turns on the engine to power the wheels to save charge; and Battery Charge where the generator charges up the battery. Most of my week, I found myself using Battery Save and Charge when driving on the freeway. Around town, it was left in EV or automatic mode. When the Outlander PHEV is running on electric power only, it provides enough grunt to get out of the way of traffic when leaving a green light. But begin to climb in speed and you realize this isn’t a quick car. Despite the instantaneous torque, the Outlander PHEV does take its time getting up to speed. Some of this can be attributed to the curb weight of 4,222 lbs.  Not helping is when the engine comes on to charge/power the wheels. When the engine is put under a load, it sounds very harsh and under a lot of stress. EPA figures for the Outlander PHEV are 74 MPGe (electric and gas combined) and 25 MPG (gas only combined). My average for the week landed around 35 MPGe, which is well under the EPA figure. But I will cut it a fair amount of slack as it arrived during one of the coldest weeks Michigan experienced. For electric-only range, Mitsubishi claims 22 miles. I saw between 16-18 miles which isn’t bad considering the cold temps. On recharging, Mitsubishi says that the Outlander PHEV takes about 13 hours when plugged into 120V/8A outlet, or 8 hours for a 120V/12V outlet. In my testing with 120V charging, it took about 8 hours to fully charge a depleted battery. The Outlander PHEV feels at home on long stretches of road where it shows off one of its strongest attributes, a smooth ride. On some of the roughest roads in Metro Detroit, the Outlander glided over them like it was nothing. On a winding road, the Outlander PHEV feels slightly out of its depth partly due to very num steering. What is surprising is that the PHEV doesn’t have as much body roll as the standard model when put into a corner. I feel conflicted on the 2020 Outlander PHEV as on the surface, it is a pretty competent crossover with the ability to run on electric power only. But the gas engine needs a bit of NVH work and performance could be slightly better. Also, it has several issues that I talked about in the previous Outlander. The final nail is the price; $43,600 for the top-line GT seen here. Yes, it does qualify for a federal tax credit of almost $6,000 that drops the price to under $38,000. But that still a fair amount of money for what is an old crossover.  If you can find one at a decent price, around $35,000 or less, then I would say take a closer look at it. Otherwise, wait to see Ford and Toyota’s entrants into the PHEV crossover market.
      Disclaimer: Mitsubishi Provided the Outlander PHEV, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Mitsubishi
      Model: Outlander PHEV
      Trim: GT
      Engine: 60kW Electric Motors (Front and Rear Axles), 2.0L MIVEC DOHC 16-Valve Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Single Speed Reduction Gearbox (Front & Rear), All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 80 @ 0 (Electric), 117 @ 4,500 (Gas),  190 (Total)
      Torque @ RPM: 101 @ 0 (Front Electric Motor), 144 @ 0 (Rear Electric Motor), 137 @ 4,500 (Gas)
      Fuel Economy: MPGe/Gasoline Combined - 74/25
      Curb Weight: 4,222 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Okazaki, Japan
      Base Price: $41,495
      As Tested Price: $43,600 (Includes $1,095.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      GT Premium Interior Package - $400.00
      Pearl White Paint - $395.00
      Carpeted Floor Mats and Portfolio - $145.00
      Charging Cable Storage Bag - $70.00

Year: 2020
      Make: Mitsubishi
      Model: Outlander PHEV
      Trim: GT
      Driveline: Single Speed Reduction Gearbox (Front & Rear), All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 80 @ 0 (Electric), 117 @ 4,500 (Gas),  190 (Total)
      Fuel Economy: MPGe/Gasoline Combined - 74/25
      Curb Weight: 4,222 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Okazaki, Japan
      Base Price: $41,495
      As Tested Price: $43,600 (Includes $1,095.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      GT Premium Interior Package - $400.00
      Pearl White Paint - $395.00
      Carpeted Floor Mats and Portfolio - $145.00
      Charging Cable Storage Bag - $70.00
      The Toyota Yaris and Yaris Hatchback will be no more in the U.S. come the end of June. That's according to a leaked memo posted to Reddit and found by CarBuzz. Sent to "All Southeast Toyota Dealers and General Managers" by Toyota, the memo says the Yaris will "cease production" at the end of June.
      "The Yaris sedan and Yaris Hatchback will not be available for model year 2021. Model year 2020 will be the last year for Yaris. June 2020 will be the last month of production for the Yaris sedan and Yaris Hatchback for the US," wrote Christine N. Henley, Toyota North America's Western Communications Manager in the memo.
      Toyota confirmed the memo, and gave Car and Driver this statement;
      "The entry-subcompact segment has new regulations that require additional homologation. Those regulations, coupled with declining sales in the segment, are some of the reasons behind the decision."
      (Author's Note: We're wondering what Toyota means by the statement we bolded here, and we'll update if we get some sort of clarification. -WM).
      The declining sales makes sense as Toyota only moved 21,917 Yaris models in 2019, down 5,293 units when compared to 2018. To give more perspective, the Corolla moved 304,850 units last year.
      So if you're interested an affordable Toyota, we would hurry down to your nearest dealer ASAP.
      Source: CarBuzz, Car and Driver

Toyota confirmed the memo, and gave Car and Driver this statement;
      Source: CarBuzz, Car and Driver
      Nearly two years ago, I drove the then all-new Hyundai Kona crossover at a press event. It was a unique looking vehicle that was entering the growing subcompact crossover class. Out of the three Hyundai vehicles I drove, the Kona impressed me most with its performance and value for money. But if there is something I have learned over eight years with reviewing vehicles, is that I can’t take first impressions as final. It has been a long wait, but I finally got my hands on a 2020 Kona Ultimate AWD. Let’s see if my first impression can still hold up.
      The Outer Limits (of Exterior Design)
      You may be forgiven for thinking that the Kona has just arrived in a UFO from Planet Nine due to its shape. But Hyundai knew they needed to make a splash in what is becoming a very competitive class. Designers took some influence from the Jeep Cherokee with a rounded front end and the front lights being separated into daytime lights and headlights. Another design trait is the slit that sits between the grille and hood cutline. Finishing off the look is body cladding running along the lower edge and a bright green paint color only available on the turbo engine models. It may seem like an odd mashup of ideas, but it works surprisingly well.
      A Conventional Interior
      Some will be disappointed that Hyundai didn’t continue the wacky design for the Kona’s interior. But having an interior that is user friendly will always pull ahead of interesting design. That isn’t to say Hyundai hasn’t added some special touches such as vent surrounds and seat stitching matching the exterior color. Hard plastics are used throughout, but they don’t feel hollow or cheap when you run your hand across.
      There is a fair amount of space for those sitting upfront. Comfort is ok for short trips, but I found myself wanting more thigh support on longer trips. In the back, there is a large amount of headroom for most passengers. Legroom is a different story as tall people will find their knees pressed against the front seats. Cargo space is another area where the Kona is lacking. With the rear seats up, the Kona’s cargo area measures 19.2 cubic feet - about 0.1 cubic feet more than the Toyota C-HR. Fold them down and space increases to 45.8. This trails the likes of the Chevrolet Trax, Nissan Kicks, and Honda HR-V.
      The One To Still Be Beaten (Infotainment-wise)
      The Kona Ultimate comes equipped with an eight-inch touchscreen featuring Hyundai’s infotainment system. This system has consistently been one of my favorites as Hyundai nails the basics - simple interface, blazing-fast performance, and having features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. My only complaint is that the design is starting to look dated when compared to other automakers and their updated infotainment.
      Turbo Power!
      Two powertrains are available in the Kona. SE, SEL, and SEL Plus use the 2.0L four-cylinder offering 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque. It’s paired with a six-speed automatic. Limited and Ultimate come with the turbocharged 1.6L four producing 175 horsepower and 195 pound-feet. This is paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. Front or all-wheel drive is available for either engine.
      Zippy is the word to describe the performance of the turbo engine. The Kona easily accelerates away from a stop and has no issue with passing a slower vehicle. The dual-clutch transmission seems to stumble when leaving a stop, but does get itself together at higher speeds. I also found the transmission is slow to react when your floor the throttle, taking a few milliseconds to downshift.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 1.6T with AWD are 26 City/29 Highway/27 Combined. My average for the week landed around 26.7 mpg, mostly due to cold weather during the week I had the Kona.
      Woah, This Crossover Handles
      If you wanted a subcompact crossover that handled decently, your choices were either the Mazda CX-3 or Toyota C-HR. The Kona enters the ring as the third choice, and possibly the best. On the backroads, the Kona feels quite agile and has almost no body roll. If I was to nitpick, the steering doesn’t have as much feel as you’ll find in the CX-3. But it feels noticeably better than the C-HR. Ride quality is impressive with most bumps being isolated from passengers sitting inside. Not too much wind and road noise come inside.
      Possibly the Best Subcompact Crossover At the Moment
      Hyundai has a very compelling package in the Kona. There is an excellent performance from the turbocharged engine, impressive driving dynamics, easy to use infotainment system, and a long list of standard equipment. There are some drawbacks with the small cargo area and rear legroom topping the list. If you need the space, a Honda HR-V would be my first pick. The dual-clutch transmission still needs a bit more work to iron out the hesitation issues I experienced.
      That first impression I had still stands and moves the Kona not only being the best in the class at the moment, but also onto a very rarefied list; a vehicle I would considering buying.
      How I Would Configure A Kona: The only reason I see buying the Ultimate is for the adaptive cruise control as most of the other safety equipment such as blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, and forward collision avoidance are available on other models. So if I wanted the Turbo engine, then I would step down to the Limited at $26,100. For those who think that is a tad expensive still should consider the SEL Plus as it comes very well equipped for $23,950. You do sacrifice the turbo engine for the 2.0L four-cylinder which is fine if your planning to drive mostly around town. Add an additional $1,400 for all-wheel drive.
      Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Kona, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Kona
      Trim: Ultimate
      Engine: 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC 16-Valve GDI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 175 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/29/27
      Curb Weight: 3,276 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $29,150
      As Tested Price: $ 30,380 (Includes $1,095.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $135.00

• General Motors had 1,287 dealers in NY State in 1939. In 2019, the total was 179.
    • I have a few that I enjoy watching frequently..  for wrenching on money pits: The Kansas guys---they often appear in each other's videos: Hoovie's Garage (maybe my favorite for Tyler Hoover's goofy persona and banter w/ the Car Wizard)  Car Wizard Watch JR Go   Velocity Garage    The Florida guys: Tavarish (good personality, and so optimistic about his wrecked exotics) Wrench Every Day (spin off of Tavarish's channel w/ Jared Pink wrenching) Samcrac (never finishes anything, but always adding high mileage, worn luxury and sports cars from Copart auctions) VTuned Garage (a kid that seems good at fabrication) vehcor is an interesting outliner..very dry presentation, guy doing extensive repairs on ordinary late model vehicles like a body swap on a wrecked Silverado..weirdly compelling. For car reviews, I like The Smoking Tire, Savage Geese and Seen Through Glass.. Others I enjoy are Drive Tribe (related to the Grand Tour) and Vinwiki Car Stories (lots of interesting stories).

1. jbartley
      jbartley

There are no registered users currently online