Chicago 2019: 2020 Subaru Legacy Preview

Would You Look At that Large Tablet Screen!

Subaru has announced that next week, it will be showing off the all-new 2020 Legacy at the Chicago Auto Show. To promote the announcement, the Japanese automaker has dropped a couple of teaser images.

The exterior looks to be an evolution of the current shape, complete with the same headlights as on the 2018 Legacy. Previous spy photos hint at a larger grille and a lower roofline. We have a slightly better idea with the interior as it appears Subaru is going with a more premium look. There's also a large tablet screen that houses a number of functions for the driver and passenger. We can make out some physical controls for the volume and tune.

We're expecting the 2020 Legacy to move to the modular platform that underpins the new Ascent, Forester, and Impreza.

Source: Subaru

Legacy teaser image.jpg

Legacy_teaser_image_2.jpg

I am a huge tech junkie but I am way past over these oversized tablets in cars. Just keeping those damn things clean has to be an OCD nightmare.

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I think that IS the rage of the future...or the moment, in cars.

Thinking this may be one of the best affordable sedans available.

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

For an affordable sedan, this is a spectacular choice given the AWD system, reliability and resale of Subaru.  Makes the Malibu rather irrelevant.

except that Subarus drive like crap.  And have lackluster powertrains.  Apart from a WRX.

4 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Agreed...but this car offers something unique in terms of AWD, resale, reliability, and Subaru knows how to run a business. Unlike VW and some other companies.

And nobody builds a CVT that I like.

45 minutes ago, frogger said:

Offer the 2.4L turbo motor from the Ascent to make it interesting.

I'd rather it keep the H6 option.

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

I'd rather it keep the H6 option.

I don't know, I was really underwhelmed by that combo in the Outback, I think it was in 2016 when I drove it after trying out a Sportwagen with the 1.8T.  Just felt like an old massively understeering car from 1999.  Softly sprung, CVT, larger ground clearance did not do it any favours I guess.

4 minutes ago, frogger said:

As an enthusiast....it is kind of hard to find mainstream cars that live up to your expectations.

Have been impressed with the Legacy and Camry both as FWD sedans as basic sedans. But neither of them is an Audi A4, GLI Jetta, Kia Stinger, Cadilalc CTS or the like.

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The Sportwagen impressed me despite its obvious power deficit.  Granted it was probably a foot shorter, 600lbs lighter, ~200 of that in the engine bay over the front wheels.

Maybe the new Outback and Legacy will take a leap forward the same way the Camry has.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I think that IS the rage of the future...or the moment, in cars.

Thinking this may be one of the best affordable sedans available.

Affordable? They are as overpriced as the rest and up until the preview photo, have had dated interiors and questionable power (aside from the WRX lineup of course). Aside from their AWD prowess, which has always been top notch, I have found nothing appealing about Subarus if you don’t have snow and ice to deal with for six months out the year. Between floating tablets and oversized tablets that now have HVAC controls built in (as opposed to actual knobs that are much easier to find and handle while driving), I am just becoming less enameled with the some of the new stuff out there. Guess I’m showing my “old fart” card here but crap like oversized tablets are why the average new car has become to pricey and out of reach for the average customer.

No reason to get this if the new Altima has AWD option.  Not that either are peaches.  Just wait till some super low mileage CPO 18+ AWD Regal sportbacks hit the used car lots en masse.

Actually also, even though many have no love for Ford, for 2019 the Fusion has a great configuration package available for CHEAP.  You can get a 2.0 AWD SE Fusion and it will have all the safety stuff mostly, plus the 2.0 twin scroll and AWD and it stickers for dirt cheap.  And all the rebates.

17 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Actually I think Fusion hybrid titanium cpo would be a sweet spot there. Or...if a Fusion Sport ever came up CPO.

i may be open to considering slumming on one of those 400 horse MKZ v6 turbos, once those get cheap.... the interior on those is so cheap.  you expect cheap on a Fusion, Lincolns are getting better but the MKZ still has the old crud

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

For me  I would much rather have an A4 or an older C class Benz

20 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The question is how affordable. I get the feeling we are going to pay for that new tablet screen....

3 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Agreed...was 💡 in comparison to infinity and Acura.

15 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

For me  I would much rather have an A4 or an older C class Benz

Could ya fit in the C-class benz? There is no leg room.

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Reminds me of the big one optional in the Ram 1500..

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Reminds me of the big one optional in the Ram 1500..

I would hope everyone here could afford the big one, I hear partners / spouses prefer it! :P

Could ya fit in the C-class benz? There is no leg room.

Yes. I am not shrek...friend and co worker of mine has a 16 year old son your size. Kid plays hockey...on skates he is slightly under seven feet tall.

Today in Tokyo, Subaru put forth an ambitious plan. By the mid-2030s, the Japanese automaker will only sell electric vehicles worldwide. This announcement comes as no surprise as both China and Europe have announced stricter emissions regulations that will be coming in the near future.
      But to reach that goal, Subaru will be working with Toyota (which owns a 8.7 percent stake in Subaru) on developing both hybrid and electric vehicles. In a statement, Subaru executives said work has started on a “strong hybrid” vehicle using Toyota technology. No other details were provided. The two are also working on full-electric vehicles that will launch sometime this decade. These vehicles will play a key role in Subaru's goal of having 40 percent of vehicles sold be all-electric and electrified cars by 2030.
      Despite this change in direction for powertrains, Subaru executive's stress their vehicles will retain the key traits that have their vehicles unique.
      “Although we’re using Toyota technology, we want to make hybrids that are distinctly Subaru,” said Subaru's Chief Technology Officer Tetsuo Onuki.
      “It’s not only about reducing CO2 emissions. We need to further improve vehicle safety and the performance of our all-wheel drive.”
      Source: Reuters, Autoblog

Source: Reuters, Autoblog
      Today saw the Lexus UX 200 F-Sport being swapped for this 2020 Volvo S60 T5 Momentum. This base model comes very well equipped with a LED headlights, panoramic sunroof, 10-way power seats12.3-inch display for the instrument cluster, and a 9-inch infotainment system. But this particular vehicle is loaded with over $9,000 in options including metallic paint, 19-inch wheels, adaptive cruise control, Harman/Kardon audio system, and power trunk lid. This brings the price to $46,240 with destination - base being $36,050.
      Power comes from a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 250 horsepower, paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
      I'll be updating this piece later in the day with some first drive impressions and I only briefly drove it around my work's parking lot to grab some pictures. In the meantime, start dropping off your questions.
      UPDATE: As promised (albeit slightly late), some more first impressions of the S60.
      The T5 engine is a surprisingly punchy engine, providing rapid power when driving on the freeway or exiting a turn. But the downside is noticeable turbo lag when leaving a stop - something I noted in my XC40 review. Volvo Sensus and my iPhone 7 Plus aren't seeming getting along at the moment. When I first plugged my phone in, the system recognized it and brought up the button to launch Apple CarPlay. But I couldn't bring up the CarPlay interface as the button did nothing. I had to unplug and plug the phone back in before it worked. One more issue concerning CarPlay. Some apps only bring up a blank screen when first opened. I would close them and relaunch to bring them to back to regular status. I can't explain whether this is due to me still running an older version of the OS or something with the car. To answer @regfootball comment on the space, this feels slightly larger than the outgoing S60. In the back, I have slightly more legroom than the previous models I have driven. Headroom is still tight, partly due to the optional panoramic sunroof. Volvo still hasn't solved getting in and out of the back as it still feels like a tight squeeze, even though the rear doors do have a wider opening.

This week marks my first review vehicle for 2020 - the Lexus UX 200 F-Sport. This one comes equipped with such items as F-Sport exterior package, 18-inch wheels, Lexus Enform with Apple CarPlay  compatibility;  Wi-Fi connectivity, and a 10-way power driver's seat. Options on this vehicle include blind spot monitoring, heated front seats, heated steering wheel, heads-up display, navigation, and a windhield de-icer - the last one being quite important as we had an ice storm roll through last night.
      Power comes from a 2.0L DOHC four-cylinder with 169 horsepower. This is likely the same engine I had in my 2019 Toyota Corolla SE hatchback I reviewed last month. This is paired with a CVT and front-wheel drive. Disappointingly, Lexus isn't offering all-wheel drive on the UX 200. To get that, you need to climb up the UX 250h.
      For the day and a half I had the UX, I found to be quite nippy around town. Though on the freeway, the engine becomes quite buzzy and you do need to step on it to get some forward momentum. It is also surprising how maneuverable the vehicle is. I was able to snatch a narrow parking space at a popular restaurant with no issue.
      The price-tag on this tester is $42,285 with destination. This surprised me considering how much stuff this vehicle is equipped with.
      So while I put some more miles on and grab some photos, drop off any questions you have for Lexus' smallest crossover.

1. NOS2006