phones

I have been on Android as my personal phone pretty much ever since they came out.  Before that I was on Blackberry and on Windows phone.  I carry a work iPhone so I have experience with that as well.  For years I have stuck with Android in spite of its less than steller compatibility with other devices. 

My current Android is likely my last Android.  Next time around I will be going with iPhone simply because I no longer have the interest or desire to hack my phone just to make it work with other things.  My music is spread out over several apps just so that I can have all of it. It's annoying and it will be a project to consolidate all of it once I switch, but it will be worth it.

Android Auto is decent for vehicles that don't have an Android Auto compatible head unit because you can run it as its own head unit for easy use of Navigation, Music, texting, and calls. Apple Car Play can't do that.   While you may not have a vehicle now that can handle either of these systems, if you buy any 2017+ truck, it will have them. Once you have a head unit that can handle Car Play or Android Auto, the advantage for Android goes away.

TL/DR - get an iPhone. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Long time Apple fan here, so I prefer iPhones--they just work, and I like how my photos and music get seamlessly synched between my phone, Mac Book, and iPad w/ iCloud.    The big negative relative to Android phones (Samsung Galaxy being my reference point) to me is the battery life... My current 7 is ok, but not dramatically better than my 6s was...newer models like the iPhone  8 and X (10) variations may be improved.  

My sister loves her Samsung Galaxy and uses Google Play for content synching there I believe. The Samsungs seem to have great cameras...though my iPhone camera is fine. 

I suppose one advantage to Android is there are multiple vendors offering Android based phones like Samsung, LG, Google w/ the Pixel, etc.  But with that come version issues as different phones are on different versions of Android and have limitations due to that (or so I hear).  Consistency is what I like about the one-vendor approach with Apple and iOS. 

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Long time Apple fan here, so I prefer iPhones--they just work, and I like how my photos and music get seamlessly synched between my phone, Mac Book, and iPad w/ iCloud.    The big negative relative to Android phones (Samsung Galaxy being my reference point) to me is the battery life... My current 7 is ok, but not dramatically better than my 6s was...newer models like the iPhone  8 and X (10) variations may be improved.  

My sister loves her Samsung Galaxy and uses Google Play for content synching there I believe. The Samsungs seem to have great cameras...though my iPhone camera is fine. 

I suppose one advantage to Android is there are multiple vendors offering Android based phones like Samsung, LG, Google w/ the Pixel, etc.  But with that come version issues as different phones are on different versions of Android and have limitations due to that (or so I hear).  Consistency is what I like about the one-vendor approach with Apple and iOS. 

I've never known my Android to have better battery life than my iPhone, though I use my Android a lot heavier than my iPhone. The nice thing about Apples is that if you do have a defective/dying battery, it is easy to just take it to an Apple store and have it replaced.  I had to have the battery replaced on my Nexus and it was a production.

The different vendors for Android is a downfall in my opinion these days.  I'm a #NeverSamsung kinda guy, I've been burned by their phones too many times.  You're at their mercy for getting software updates and then the carrier also potentially blocks a software update also. 

I'm assuming this phone is for @balthazar and not "a friend".  One of the things you're not going to like is the cost... An iphone 8 will suit you just fine, no need to go all the way up to the top of the line phone.. but if you do, an XR is what my partner has and he likes it a lot. iPhones last longer than Androids do simply because Apple supports software updates for a lot longer.  Unless you're looking to replace a phone every 2 years, go with iPhone.  

I was planning on moving to iPhone about 6 months ago, but then I dropped my Android Nexus 6P and it was replaced under insurance with a newer Pixel. The Pixel has been fine and is just something for me to use till I'm ready to upgrade.  I have to change carriers also because my carrier only works on certain Android phones.

Balth, if you do go with Android instead of iPhone, go with Google Pixel instead of Samsung or LG.  Motorola is a good second place pick because they don't muck up their OS with garbage like Samsung does. 

• Agree 2

;) Ya- I'm the only person you all 'know' still on a dumb phone. People send emoji's in their messages sometimes- they only come thru as rectangles. I have no '$' sign or parenthesis', and the number '1' is after the circa 16 symbols. Texting takes some moments (I am pretty much lightning fast after all this practice tho). But both my digital camera & independent GPS units died within the last few months, forcing my hand. Plus, for the first time in my life that I can recall, I'm feeling peer pressure : using it out in public, I tend to shield the dumb phone from others' pitiful gazes.

My one son has an iPhone7, the other an i8. Just looked at some of the photos from the i8- they're stellar (quick google says 8mp, and my digital was 12mp). I know what they cost- what are you going to do? Battery life will be an issue either way- I'm used to an average of 6 days before recharging.

If I'm true to form, I'll keep it for years, so the support aspect & ease of getting a battery, etc is a plus. But I'm very low tech... or should I say I'm kind of locked into the tech level of 10-15 years ago. I am unaware of any apps I would be looking for; almost just psyched to have a bright light and a degree gauge (that may be an app). My music is still on an independent ipod, tho I would likely morph over to spotify or something (so in the dark here) as my truck doesn't even have a aux jack.

Are there any places to buy an iphone at a better deal other than the given phone stores selling at full list price?

Edited by balthazar

I try to charge my iPhone 7 every night whilst I sleep.  I’m on it pretty much continuously during a work day,  a couple 15 min conference calls but mostly listening to music and podcasts (iTunes and Overcast apps) while I work.  I find if I limit myself to that I can usually go from 8am to about 3 before it gets down to 20 percent or so.   Using apps like Facebook or surfing the web (Safari) drains the battery more.  At home I have it on my home WiFi rather than cellular data. 

My first smart phone was a refurbished Motorola BlackJack that I bought in May 2007.  The first iPhone came out just before the Fourth of July that year.  I found that, while functional, Windows Mobile was clunky and rigid for what a phone can do.  (I say that as someone who has used Windows since 1993!)  Some functions of that phone were either a little slow or were really cumbersome (especially with importing or exporting photos).

Since then I have been using iPhones (starting in November 2010), starting with an iPhone 4.  The only exceptions were the Samsung Galaxy S3 and then an LG G3 (January 2013-January 2016).  The S3 ran through battery life like crazy and updates made matters worse.  The LG G3 was a good phone but the updates for Android were either too slow or never came.  With an iPhone (first the 6S Plus, now the 8 Plus), I know that battery life actually lasts, updates will not brick my phone and everything just works.  Yes, there are a lot of Android phones out there and you can buy a cheap one for $100 and an expensive one for $1200.  Apple does not allow that (for new phones).  But Apple will support their phones and not leave you wondering whether you need a new phone just to run the latest version of their OS.

If you seek an affordable iPhone, eBay is often your best bet.  Gazelle is another good source for older phones.  Just know this: if you have a battery issue, Apple will replace it.  Last year battery replacements were $29 if the Apple battery was NOT replaced with a third-party battery.  Those Apple battery replacement may be more today.  My advice is simple, get the best iPhone you can afford. . . . . unless you love Android and/or hate iOS.  In that case, get the BEST Android phone you can afford.

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I thought the i6 was discontinued already- or was that just that Apple was stopping support for it?

They're still issuing new ones at work.  So you can buy one, it's just the oldest model Apple still offers.  I was more saying that if you bought a refurb or something some Ebay. 8 is probably the oldest I would go with new. 

• Agree 1

So I used both as well.  I am a long time Android user but a year and half ago when upgrading phones for my wife and myself to make it easier decided to switch to iPhone to have same phones with my wife and son.  Long story short I hated it because of super limitations Apple puts on everything and because iPhone works well only with Apple stuff, way less good with Google stuff and I use Google apps way more.  Also I DESPISE iTunes.  So I  gave my Apple to my dad and got Motorola and actually just ordered Pixel for myself because I wanted a good camera.  

Having said that, I would recommend @balthazar getting iPhone, and I would not recommend getting iPhone 6 but to go for at least 7 or 8.   Reasons to go for iPhone are they last longer (as much as I hate to admit on average iPhones last way longer than most Androids), they are somewhat easier to use for first time users, and since your family is already on iPhones it will be easier as well.  Reason to go with at least iPhone 7 or 8 - first of all 7 is the first phone Apple did that was waterproof.  You would hate to loose your phone if you accidentally spilled water or drink on it.  Plus, the camera is better, and one of the biggest advantages having a smartphone is having a good camera.  You will really appreciate when you have it.

Word of the warning: once you start using smartphone, you will not be go back :)

Edited by ykX

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

As a guy still "rockin" a flip phone in 2019, I don't think I need the 'latest' of much of ANYTHING.

True, but since you getting a phone with a hope to keep it for some time, I would get something that has good combination of features that will last you and good value (camera, enough memory, decent screen).  I would go for iPhone 8 or XR with at least 64GB memory minimum, preferably 128GB.  Since you can't upgrade memory in iPhone that is important too since your pictures and videos will add up fast.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, balthazar said:

As a guy still "rockin" a flip phone in 2019, I don't think I need the 'latest' of much of ANYTHING.

Getting the latest will help it last longer before you need to replace it.  Phones have a bit of planned obsolescence in them. You can get 3 years out of a phone, but 6 years is pushing it.... the clock doesn't start when you buy the phone, it starts when the phone was released. 

I agree with @ykX that once you get one, you won't want to go back.  There are a bunch of business apps that could even help you in your business to speed things up.

• Like 2

My first smartphone was an iPhone 4s and I've stuck with them ever since(iPhone 6 and recently bought a iPhone XR). I like the simplicity, simple to use functions about it. I also REALLY like that Apple doesn't allow carriers to add their bullsht to the phones so they only get cluttered with stuff YOU want on the phone. Yeah, they're less customizable than an Android-based phone but I think that helps them run better for longer. I haven't heard of a single person with an Android-based phone maintaining its capabilities for even the full 2 years of most contracts. Their updates are also all over the place. Depending on what phone you have depends when you'll get the latest software update whereas all iPhones get them at the same time. 

On 3/2/2019 at 11:07 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

The nice thing about Apples is that if you do have a defective/dying battery, it is easy to just take it to an Apple store and have it replaced.

I took my 6 to a Batteries + Bulbs store and they changed mine twice for $50. The second time they did it for free because it was their battery even though it was past warranty(I didn't ask for it to be covered, they just noticed it was theirs and didn't charge me - Very thankful!) 

Edited by ccap41

On 3/2/2019 at 11:07 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

an XR is what my partner has and he likes it a lot.

My XR's battery is phenomenal. I use my phone a ton and watch Netflilx/Hulu to and from work and play games and stuff and it'll last 26-28 hours(obviously some of that is sleeping). Does your partner get that kind of time out of theirs as well? 

On 3/2/2019 at 12:04 PM, balthazar said:

Are there any places to buy an iphone at a better deal other than the given phone stores selling at full list price?

From my experience, they are all the same price(Apple controls that, I believe) but different places offer gift cards larger or smaller. I actually bought my XR on Black Friday and got a $300 Wal*Mart gift card. 

On 3/2/2019 at 3:33 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

The cheapest answer is likely this at Costco

Another vote for Costco.  I will not get phone cheaper than through your carrier, they go by the same promotions.  However, they will give you $30 gift card to compensate "activation fee" big carriers charge.  So that's something.

I will check them out next time I'm in The Costco.
My son has the i7, said the prior phone (I think that was an i5) had 16GB and he had to delete things on occasion. He's a phone hound. Said his i7 at 64GB has more than enough memory for him. I'd probably be fine with 4GB, but am leaning hard toward the i8 so far, regardless.

My iPhone 6s had 64gb and I filled it up.  My iPhone 7 has 128gb and so far I've only put 50.3GB on it.   Most of that usage is probably the 7000+ photos synched from iCloud and my music and podcasts.   Storage can never be enough. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

I usually change out my phones every 4 to 6 years. I have been a lifelong user of Samsung Note# phones. They rock and last. Great picture quality and seem to me to be very stable and long battery life.

Not an Apple fan at all, if you like decisions made for you and limited to what one can do, then Apple is fine for those that do not care about technology and want a single ecosystem to get around on.

I agree with those that said once you go smartphone you will not go back and if you try you will quickly learn the pain and regret it. 

I moved my parents last year to smartphones. Spent time teaching them how to use it. One of the phones was defective so my mom thought she would just go back to a flip phone. Within the day quickly realized how much added work and what a pain the flip phone was in comparison to the Smartphone. My mom is back on a smartphone and loves it and has pushed into taking photos like crazy.

Amazing how technology can change how people interact.

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

My iPhone 6s had 64gb and I filled it up.  My iPhone 7 has 128gb and so far I've only put 50.3GB on it.   Most of that usage is probably the 7000+ photos synched from iCloud and my music and podcasts.   Storage can never be enough. 

Agree, storage can never be enough with all we do on our phones now.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

My first smartphone was an iPhone 4s and I've stuck with them ever since(iPhone 6 and recently bought a iPhone XR). I like the simplicity, simple to use functions about it. I also REALLY like that Apple doesn't allow carriers to add their bullsht to the phones so they only get cluttered with stuff YOU want on the phone. Yeah, they're less customizable than an Android-based phone but I think that helps them run better for longer.

Agreed on all points.  I like the consistency of Apple products... I have no interest in customizing a phone--- I'm not a teenager.  I like technology that is solid and predictable.   

It is funny, thinking about customizing your software environment..whether a computer or phone.  I remember at one time when I was young and crazy, I actually cared about such stuff--setting up my  laptop, worrying about Linux distributions and packages, setups, endless minutae, etc.  Now that I'm old, cynical and burned out.. I just don't care..thats why I stick w/ Apple products--they just work and you don't have to f*ck around..  I like technology that works well out of the box and doesn't require fiddling. 

I really can't imagine life without a smart phone...so convenient having a little computer with me at all times.  I remember back in the day when I first got a cell phone 20+ years ago...it only did calls, no email or internet..seems so quaint and old-fashioned. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

My first smartphone was an iPhone 4s and I've stuck with them ever since(iPhone 6 and recently bought a iPhone XR). I like the simplicity, simple to use functions about it. I also REALLY like that Apple doesn't allow carriers to add their bullsht to the phones so they only get cluttered with stuff YOU want on the phone. Yeah, they're less customizable than an Android-based phone but I think that helps them run better for longer. I haven't heard of a single person with an Android-based phone maintaining its capabilities for even the full 2 years of most contracts. Their updates are also all over the place. Depending on what phone you have depends when you'll get the latest software update whereas all iPhones get them at the same time. 

I took my 6 to a Batteries + Bulbs store and they changed mine twice for $50. The second time they did it for free because it was their battery even though it was past warranty(I didn't ask for it to be covered, they just noticed it was theirs and didn't charge me - Very thankful!) 

Hi there. My Nexus ran for 3 years before I dropped it and smashed the screen.  You're right about the updates and the crap carrier apps.  Even if I stayed with Android, I would only ever get a Pixel so that I get updates like iOS does and none of the carrier apps.  I get updates on my phone about once a month.  But Google Pixel is the only way to get that sort of guarantee.  The only reason I recommended the Motorola above was because its inexpensive, so if it only lasts him 3 years its no big deal. 

28 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Apple products--they just work and you don't have to f*ck around

So much YES here. They do what you ask of them and they do them 99% of the time(I'll give it they aren't perfect but they seem much more reliable than any of my friends/family members Android or Google-based products. 

The only real issue I ever had was my battery went to crap twice. Once it was replaced the phone was like it was brand new again. Some apps would take a couple extra seconds to open but it was a 4 year old phone at that point and new/updated apps just take more hardware to keep up, I get that. This is why I couldn't justify getting a new phone for 4 years. Once it started to go a 3rd time(battery) I finally called it quits as I also just plain wanted something new again. If I'm being honest, it's more the latter. I'm not a huge picture-taker but I did want a better camera at this point as well as the 4 year old phone just didn't take the best pictures unless I was close and in good lighting. 

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Hi there. My Nexus ran for 3 years before I dropped it and smashed the screen.  You're right about the updates and the crap carrier apps.  Even if I stayed with Android, I would only ever get a Pixel so that I get updates like iOS does and none of the carrier apps.  I get updates on my phone about once a month.  But Google Pixel is the only way to get that sort of guarantee.  The only reason I recommended the Motorola above was because its inexpensive, so if it only lasts him 3 years its no big deal. 

My Motorola Droid lasted over 3 years just fine.  Than I went through couple LGs which swore me from buying LG ever again, iPhone 6s, and than Moto X4.  Motorola is a great basic phone, doesn't have extra crap Samsung puts on its phones and gets updates right after Pixel.  It is just camera is not even close to Apple/Samsung/Pixel level.  So after I was frustrated time and time again taking pictures of my kids I decided to upgrade.  Just recently ordered new Pixel.  Hopefully will last me long time.

• Agree 1

Battery life has been a sore point with iPhones for me in the past.   My last (iPhone 6s) lasted 3 years.  I'm almost a year into my 7. 

Back before I switched to iPhones I had a couple Motorola Droids and Motorola Razr..(back in the pre-smart phone era I had several Motorolas--Star Tac, V60, etc).   I generally liked the Motorolas but the flakiness once they got past a year old or so did them in for me. 

Edited by Robert Hall

21 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You're probably the first person I've "known" to have one last that long. I know it's possible and it happens but most of my friends/family have had their Apple products out last them by quite a bit. 

It also blows my mind people who don't use cases on their phones. These things cost $500-1500 now and "you're" walking around with it like it's a $50, replaceable item. 

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

So much YES here. They do what you ask of them and they do them 99% of the time(I'll give it they aren't perfect but they seem much more reliable than any of my friends/family members Android or Google-based products. 

Apple phones last longer, usually, but they are not without issues.  I had way more issues with apps I am using not working properly when I had iPhone than when I have my Android phones.

Anyway, Apple vs Android debate is a lot like Ford vs Chevy.  Guys who like one brand unlikely to get another brand :)

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You're probably the first person I've "known" to have one last that long. I know it's possible and it happens but most of my friends/family have had their Apple products out last them by quite a bit. 

It also blows my mind people who don't use cases on their phones. These things cost $500-1500 now and "you're" walking around with it like it's a $50, replaceable item. 

yeah, I use a case and a screen protector, but it wasn't enough for that fall I guess. It landed on the sharp corner of a table just right.

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ya...I use a tempered glass screen protector and a Tech 21 flexible case w/ metal inserts on the corners.     Though the screen protector didn't save my iPhone 5s that I dropped off the 6th floor of a parking garage by accident. 

Edited by Robert Hall

My last Motorola Android phone--the Razr--had a tendency to hang and become non-responsive..frequently.  The last straw was a night where it locked up and starting playing audio advertisements in the middle of the night.  It inexplicably stopped working after I threw it at a wall and stomped on it.   No more Android shit for me after that. 

Just now, Robert Hall said:

My last Motorola Android phone--the Razr--had a tendency to hang and become non-responsive..frequently.  The last straw was a night where it locked up and starting playing audio advertisements in the middle of the night.  It inexplicably stopped working after I threw it at a wall and stomped on it.   No more Android shit for me after that. 

That sounds like you had one of the early viral apps.

Just now, Robert Hall said:

And the ads were Verizon ads IIRC.  Hated that phone. 

Verizon had a thing on my Samsung Galaxy S3 where it would detect if I was near a Verizon store and offer to sign me in for service or send me ads for a new phone.  Annoying.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Verizon had a thing on my Samsung Galaxy S3 where it would detect if I was near a Verizon store and offer to sign me in for service or send me ads for a new phone.  Annoying.

Funny...with my iPhone, I get a notice from the Verizon Wireless app that I'm in a Verizon store and would I like to give any feedback, when I'm actually in one of a couple restaurants that I frequent in a local strip mall that have a Verizon Store between them.  What's funny is I've never been in that store..

This is the case I bought for my XR. I love it. It's a little bulky but that's to protect it and there has to be give and take. Do I want a thin one for looks and very minimal protection or a thicker one with rubber corners that's much more protective? I definitely want to try and protect my $750 investment. 

Forged carbon fiber, I think it looks awesome. 

Carbon Case.jpg

• Agree 3

52 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I have a case and one of those gorilla glass covers and still, one day I had work gloves on, tried to put my phone back into my back pocket and missed and dropped less than 4 feet and my screen shattered. Still works, but pissed me off as it is the first phone ever that this happened to. Front camera is worthless, but I rarely took any selfies, so no big deal, back camera works good. They want $350 to replace the screen and camera. :nono: Hard to see, but there are crack lines all over the whole thing besides the hole over the selfie camera.

Picture 3.jpg

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Funny, still does that now. Everytime my bus goes by the downtown store which has a bus stop out front, my phone buzzes me to sign in. I do have the right to ignore it for that time, but it does it again the next day. I will agree that is a bit annoying.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Funny, still does that now. Everytime my bus goes by the downtown store which has a bus stop out front, my phone buzzes me to sign in. I do have the right to ignore it for that time, but it does it again the next day. I will agree that is a bit annoying.

Funny AND Sad.  The phone, of course. 

One of the things I do NOT like about Android phones (especially Verizon Android phones) is that VZ wants you to buy a new phone every single year.  When the iPhone was a Cingular/AT&T exclusive, VZ pushed Android phones (especially Motorola DROID phones) and some of them were not worth the price at all.  Probably the biggest reason I stick with iPhone is because I know Apple will support the phone for more than three years (even though repairs do cost money after year one).  Android phones seem to find an excuse for you to upgrade at least every year.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Funny AND Sad.  The phone, of course. 

One of the things I do NOT like about Android phones (especially Verizon Android phones) is that VZ wants you to buy a new phone every single year.  When the iPhone was a Cingular/AT&T exclusive, VZ pushed Android phones (especially Motorola DROID phones) and some of them were not worth the price at all.  Probably the biggest reason I stick with iPhone is because I know Apple will support the phone for more than three years (even though repairs do cost money after year one).  Android phones seem to find an excuse for you to upgrade at least every year.

As they say, each person's mileage will vary. I have never had the issues I see posted here by so many with Android. Could be the version of phone i have used and the lack of using social media stuff.

I am happy that everyone seems to find a phone that works for them. They are all good and all do what they were designed for, sadly 3rd party apps can really mess up a phone. Keep them backed up and recoverable by the cloud and you should never lose your info.

Tonight just got update 16 for my Note 8 from Android. Have to say the updates are very solid.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:37 PM, dfelt said:

As they say, each person's mileage will vary. I have never had the issues I see posted here by so many with Android. Could be the version of phone i have used and the lack of using social media stuff.

I am happy that everyone seems to find a phone that works for them. They are all good and all do what they were designed for, sadly 3rd party apps can really mess up a phone. Keep them backed up and recoverable by the cloud and you should never lose your info.

Tonight just got update 16 for my Note 8 from Android. Have to say the updates are very solid.

Yeah, but you're still on Android O.  I've been on Android P on my Pixel since August. 

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, but you're still on Android O.  I've been on Android P on my Pixel since August. 

Just got my Pixel 3 XL a week ago.  So far loving it.  Not as sexy as new Samsungs, but clear of all the extra junk and camera is awesome.  I finally can take great pictures of my kids playing sports.

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Potluck said:

just keep it simple get get and iphone

If only that was true of apple products. Not everyone sees the apple interface as user friendly or simple.

With every version upgrade of Android I'm noticing less features that interest me being added. For my use anyways. 

Last feature added I found pretty useful is tap to pay, only for when I walk to the stores in the neighbourhood and forget my wallet. 

Luckily in Canada now, service providers cannot sell carrier locked phones.