Tesla Reverses Plan to Close Stores

Drew Dowdell

On February 28th, Tesla announced that they would be closing most of their retail locations and moving to an online sales model in order to cut costs.  In a blog post yesterday, Tesla has reversed course on that position somewhat, and will not only close a portion of their stores. 

Some of their locations, around 10%, have already closed and Telsa said they would have closed anyway due to low foot traffic.  Another 20% of locations are currently under review and depending on performance will be decided on in the next few months. 

All sales will still remain online only, and customers who come into the stores will be shown how to order their vehicle online.  The 1000 mile or 7 day return policy (minus the non-refundable delivery charge) will remain in effect for any customer who has doubts about their purchase.  The remaining Tesla stores will have cars available for test drive and will keep a small number of vehicles in stock for people who want to take delivery immediately. 

To compensate for this change in direction, Tesla will be raising prices by 3% on the more expensive trims of Model 3, and the Model S and Model X.  The base Model 3 remains $35,000 plus $1,200 delivery charge. Current prices are valid until March 18th.

View full article

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

They are ALL OVER THE PLACE with their pricing. In the last year, I feel like they've adjusted prices three or four times. 

That's not really any different than the other manufacturers. They just do it with incentives instead of adjusting the MSRP.  I think the Tesla system is simpler and more straightforward. 

I was JUST talking about this last night with my friend in his Tesla 3.  I was asking if they shut the stores, how do people test drive cars?!  Meet at a park?  Does Tesla go to their house?

1 minute ago, Paolino said:

I was JUST talking about this last night with my friend in his Tesla 3.  I was asking if they shut the stores, how do people test drive cars?!  Meet at a park?  Does Tesla go to their house?

They weren't going to do test drives anymore.  They offer the 7 day/1000 mile return policy instead.

Now, test drives will remain and so will the return policy. (except for the $1,200 delivery charge, I imagine to keep away people who are just trying to get a free rental car)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They weren't going to do test drives anymore.  They offer the 7 day/1000 mile return policy instead.

Now, test drives will remain and so will the return policy. (except for the $1,200 delivery charge, I imagine to keep away people who are just trying to get a free rental car)

Not to get off topic, but it still infuriates me to no end how 99% of the controls are in the screen.  I mean, seriously, goddaughter is in the back seat and wants her heated seat on... driver has to go into the climate menu, then tap her seat to the desired level of heat.  C'mon.  So much unnecessary time looking away from the road.  I was amused at the Yulelog you can play on the screen.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Paolino said:

Not to get off topic, but it still infuriates me to no end how 99% of the controls are in the screen.  I mean, seriously, goddaughter is in the back seat and wants her heated seat on... driver has to go into the climate menu, then tap her seat to the desired level of heat.  C'mon.  So much unnecessary time looking away from the road.  I was amused at the Yulelog you can play on the screen.

And they say that is supposed to be safer than having a butt warmer seat switch in the back for the person to do it themselves. Riiiigggghhhhhttttt!

I honestly while loving their tech, have come to hate the way they are running sales. Would rather deal with a traditional auto dealer than have to deal with Tesla mess of auto purchasing and ownership.

Right now the stores have not impressed me, the auto's are all way too small.

All I want is a full size SUV EV.

29 minutes ago, Paolino said:

That's a common complaint for the Model-3

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's a common complaint for the Model-3

It is absurd.  Even the image on the screen is rotated to a sideview of the interior of the car... so you have to mentally rotate your head to imagine which seat she's sitting in based on the image rather than a top-down view which in my opinion would make more sense.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's not really any different than the other manufacturers. They just do it with incentives instead of adjusting the MSRP.  I think the Tesla system is simpler and more straightforward. 

They also make it public that they're making the changes. I don't recall Ford, GM, Mercedes, or anybody else making these kinds of press releases three or four times a year. 

31 minutes ago, Paolino said:

It is absurd.  Even the image on the screen is rotated to a sideview of the interior of the car... so you have to mentally rotate your head to imagine which seat she's sitting in based on the image rather than a top-down view which in my opinion would make more sense.

That seems so absurdly stupid that it's funny to me. 

11 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That seems so absurdly stupid that it's funny to me. 

I recall him driving down the highway and his daughter had just shifted to the one-buttcheek-wide middle seat after her sister got in the car, and she didn't want the heated seat on (the middle rear seat is also heated) and he's hovering his finger over the diagram trying to figure out which seat he has to turn off, which he has to turn on, how many clicks each is going to take because they're all at different settings, etc...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Paolino said:

I recall him driving down the highway and his daughter had just shifted to the one-buttcheek-wide middle seat after her sister got in the car, and she didn't want the heated seat on (the middle rear seat is also heated) and he's hovering his finger over the diagram trying to figure out which seat he has to turn off, which he has to turn on, how many clicks each is going to take because they're all at different settings, etc...

That is just stupid. Computers are supposed to make our life easier not harder and that is harder. Should be voice command capable.

Tesla, rear middle seat heater on medium

Tesla, passenger rear outside seat off.

Should be that simple.

^^ The only interfaces I've really like have been Volvo (great design, so-so reliability) and Chrysler uConnect (Good design, great reliability)

GM's interfaces are a mess and unreliable (though the latest round is improving).  Ford Sync3 is reliable, but such blah design.

Tesla Model 3 lost the "recommended" rating from Consumer Reports over their interior electronics. 

• Agree 1