Toyota News: Toyota Unveils the 2020 Yaris Hatchback

A few weeks back we reported that the Toyota Yaris hatchback that we all knew and ...er... loved... would be ending production but we also found out that there was a possibility that the model name would continue in the form of a rebadged Mazda 2 hatchback like the Yaris Sedan

Yesterday, those suspicions were confirmed.  Toyota released details ahead of the New York International Auto Show of the coming 2020 Toyota Yaris Hatchback.   Like the sedan, it is based on the Mazda 2 but with a Toyota front clip and badging.  Surprisingly, it is larger than the old model. Wheelbase is up by 2.4 inches over the outgoing model and features a trunk area with almost 16 cubic feet of room. 

Toyota describes the styling as "Cab-Rearward", giving the hatchback a hunkered down bulldog like look.  The interior is standard issue Mazda with Toyota badging and we expect it to be excellent for the class.  Toyota claims the Yaris Hatch will be a hoot to drive due to its use of ultra-high tensile steel frame.  The high structural integrity combined with a MacPherson Strut front suspension and torsion beam rear suspension have been tuned for handling agility and comfort. 

2020_Yaris_Hatchback_007_6B78190B6A45067FFF91080E303F2F84423D4AFE.jpgThe Yaris will come in just two trims, LE and XLE, both equipped with Navigation hardware (SD card with Maps sold separately), but you could also use the standard Apple Car Play or Android Auto for navigation on the standard 7-inch touchscreen.  Stepping up to the XLE brings faux leather in gray or black, automatic climate control, rain-sensing wipers, automatic LED headlamps, and leather trim on the steering wheel, shift knob, and parking brake. 

Both trims of the Yaris will be equipped standard with low-speed pre-collision safety system, dynamic stability control, traction control, ABS, brake assist, and brake override systems. 

Powering the Yaris will be the same engine as in the Yaris Sedan, a 1.5 liter inline 4-cylinder that produces 106 horsepower and 103 lb-ft of torque.  This engine has direct injection and a 12.0:1 compression ratio.  A 6-speed automatic is the only transmission choice.

No word yet on pricing, but expect a small bump over the $15,450 of the Yaris Sedan. 

The Yaris will debut on April 17th at the New York Auto Show and go on sale later this year. 

View full article

Not to beat a dead horse, but rain-sensing wipers on a Yaris, yet never a LaCrosse...

Anyway, not a fan of the Yaris or hatches in general, but this looks nice and nicely equipped.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Paolino said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but rain-sensing wipers on a Yaris, yet never a LaCrosse...

Anyway, not a fan of the Yaris or hatches in general, but this looks nice and nicely equipped.

Well, it is a rebadged Mazda..Mazda always has plenty of features available. 

14 hours ago, Paolino said:

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

But so should a Buick.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I think the current one is also a Mazda 2, just older. 

The current Yaris sedan is a Mazda 2, the US market hatch was a Toyota.    I don't think we ever got this restyled version, in orange it would look like a demented Jack-o-Lantern. 

2560px-2018_Toyota_Yaris_1.5_S_TRD_Sportivo_hatchback_(NSP151R;_12-22-2018),_South_Tangerang.jpg

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The current Yaris sedan is a Mazda 2, the US market hatch was a Toyota.    I don't think we ever got this restyled version, in orange it would look like a demented Jack-o-Lantern. 

2560px-2018_Toyota_Yaris_1.5_S_TRD_Sportivo_hatchback_(NSP151R;_12-22-2018),_South_Tangerang.jpg

That's odd they'd have a sedan built by Mazda but a hatch built by themselves.. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

Well, the Mazda 2 sedan was already here as the Scion iA, so the current one was just a rebadge for the US market. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

I think it was just corporate inertia. There was never an intention to do a Yaris sedan in the first place. It was the Scion iA which got changed to a Yaris Sedan.  The Yaris hatch just soldiered on until its demise a few months ago. Mazda had a ready-made Mazda 2 hatch that just needed the right badging and the updated nose. 

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think it was just corporate inertia. There was never an intention to do a Yaris sedan in the first place. It was the Scion iA which got changed to a Yaris Sedan.  The Yaris hatch just soldiered on until its demise a few months ago. Mazda had a ready-made Mazda 2 hatch that just needed the right badging and the updated nose. 

That makes the most sense to me. It was kind of a "why not?" thing.  

19 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

But their largest sedan of a "premium" brand should not offer it?  I mean, I keep wondering why GM cars are so poorly equipped at lower trims if other auto makers can offer so much as standard equipment, or even optional on their cheapest vehicles.

4 minutes ago, Paolino said:

But their largest sedan of a "premium" brand should not offer it?  I mean, I keep wondering why GM cars are so poorly equipped at lower trims if other auto makers can offer so much as standard equipment, or even optional on their cheapest vehicles.

I assume they are just being cheap...

1 hour ago, Paolino said:

They just do not get how to package for value as well as Luxury. GM seems to have lost their auto mojo. Great that they are profitable, but the passion is truly missing. 😞