Tesla Seeks To Raise More Cash

Tesla is seeking to raise nearly $2.7 billion to add to its sagging balance sheet according to a filling.  It would offer 3.5 million shares priced at $243 per share and a $1.6 billion convertible debt. Elon Musk will be buying $25 million in shares and currently owns around a 20 percent stake in the company.

Wall Street seemed to find this capital raise promising as it boosted shares 1.5% before the opening bell.  Analysts were calculating that Tesla, which burned $1.5 billion in Q1-2019 alone, would not have enough cash to continue working on its Model Y crossover and the new Tesla Semi-truck, and also getting production rolling in China. 

In the backdrop of a sagging US auto market, Tesla has seen demand for its cars soften dramatically in the US over the past two quarters, though demand for EVs in Europe has increased.

View full article

$25M did seem like a pittance in the grand scheme of things.   But I wonder if he's relatively cash poor out of his billions in assets.

He'd probably have to sell off stakes in other entities to buy all of the Tesla shares. 

• Agree 1

Not being a financial wizard at long term planning of a major company. At the rate of sales to costs to R&D, I wonder what the analytics would say is the year of profitability now? 🤔

2020, 2025, 2030, 2035?????????

I bet Rivian has a better idea than Tesla, but I do wonder how long before someone buys them up.

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Not being a financial wizard at long term planning of a major company. At the rate of sales to costs to R&D, I wonder what the analytics would say is the year of profitability now? 🤔

2020, 2025, 2030, 2035?????????

I bet Rivian has a better idea than Tesla, but I do wonder how long before someone buys them up.

I think Tesla made 2 big mistakes.

1. getting way overly complicated on the Model X with the doors -  It would have sold just as well without them, possibly at a lower price (higher volume), and it wouldn't have been delayed a year.

2. Doing the Model 3 before the Model Y - That was just a very poor reading of the direction of the product mix out there as far as sedans go.  Still build a sedan of course, but the Model Y should have been the priority. 

I do wish Rivian well, but I wonder if they'll be priced too high to make a big impact on the market.  If they price their SUV at the same price as the Model X, they'll probably kill Tesla in sales, but I get the impression that they'll be higher priced than that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1