Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

If the price of gas doubled in month, would you sell your daily driver?

Drew Dowdell

My current daily gets only 22.5mpg with premium gas, with my commute mostly highway so I would be in big trouble.  However,  I probably very soon will take from my dad 2016 Mazda 6 that should get at least 30mpg on regular gas, so I should be ok.

It would be rough but I think I'd hang on to what I have. I don't know what I would get that I'd actually want that gets enough better mileage to spend the money buying something else. I think I would be seriously looking into the plug-in hybrids though, that's for sure. I think I would look more into driving less and combining more trips rather than buying something else. 

My current running average since buying my MKC is 24.4mpg on 87 octane. For something I'd want to replace the MKC, I don't see something getting significantly better mpg unless it's a plug-in or hybrid. 

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Not for that reason. Even double the price, it would take a few decades to make up a newer vehicle’s purchase price in fuel cost savings. Makes no fiscal sense.

You also really don't have any place to go from a Duramax

I don't need a Duramax tho. In my daydreaming on a newer truck, it's a 1500 gas job (or 2500).
I'm just not going to find a CC/standand bed truck that gets much better than 16 MPG composite. Even if it were -say- 25 MPG, that's a mere 213 gals per YEAR difference for me; or around $600. That's nothing.

Edited by balthazar

^ yeah, for the price difference in vehicle(owned vs buying) $600/year will never pay itself off. 

Then again, that can be said for almost every single purchase where somebody justifies it by saying it gets better fuel economy. Even 20mpg vs 40mpg probably doesn't pay for itself unless you're driving 25,000 miles per year when comparing to already owning a vehicle. 

I work out of the house, so I'm not really racking up the miles...only put 20k on my Jeep in the 30 months I've had it.     I get decent enough gas mileage (22-24 for freeway driving) that it doesn't bother me. 

Edited by Robert Hall

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

^ yeah, for the price difference in vehicle(owned vs buying) $600/year will never pay itself off. 

Then again, that can be said for almost every single purchase where somebody justifies it by saying it gets better fuel economy. Even 20mpg vs 40mpg probably doesn't pay for itself unless you're driving 25,000 miles per year when comparing to already owning a vehicle. 

I am one of the extreme cases here, I drive 29k miles a year.  My current car does 22.5mpg (lets say 22) on premium gas, so even when I switch to a car that does 10mpg better on regular gas (32), with the prices today where I live, I will be saving $1480 a year.  It is a lot but not completely justifies buying a new car just for that reason.

• Agree 1

Just now, ykX said:

I am one of the extreme cases here, I drive 29k miles a year.  My current car does 22.5mpg (lets say 22) on premium gas, so even when I switch to a car that does 10mpg better on regular gas (32), with the prices today where I live, I will be saving $1480 a year.  It is a lot but not completely justifies buying a new car just for that reason.

Yeah the difference between premium and regular is quite significant itself. It's ~$0.60/gallon here. That would be almost $8 more per fill up for me(roughly 13 gallons). Give or take some, that alone is about $400/year. 

When gas was $5 a gallon during our Depression of 2007 to 2012 in Washington state, the state made it a requirement for any company with 500 or more employees had to provide mass transit bus passes. As such, I went from daily driving to only driving with the wife for errands, projects, working out. We went from 30,000 miles a year on two auto's to just about 15-16,000 miles a year. Since you all know I only have full size SUV's and a couple mid size, even with my SS only getting 12 miles per gallon, it would have to hit $15.00 a gallon for me to give up the SS or Escalade and even then I doubt it since everything is paid for and in perfect working order.

At this point with so many EV options coming on the market over the next 18 to 24 months, I will be buying EV in the future.

Excited as Rivian will have a look and see show on September 27th here in Seattle. Hoping to get a chance to actually try out the interior and see how I fit.

51 minutes ago, dfelt said:

When gas was $5 a gallon during our Depression of 2007 to 2012 in Washington state, the state made it a requirement for any company with 500 or more employees had to provide mass transit bus passes. As such, I went from daily driving to only driving with the wife for errands, projects, working out. We went from 30,000 miles a year on two auto's to just about 15-16,000 miles a year. Since you all know I only have full size SUV's and a couple mid size, even with my SS only getting 12 miles per gallon, it would have to hit $15.00 a gallon for me to give up the SS or Escalade and even then I doubt it since everything is paid for and in perfect working order.

At this point with so many EV options coming on the market over the next 18 to 24 months, I will be buying EV in the future.

Excited as Rivian will have a look and see show on September 27th here in Seattle. Hoping to get a chance to actually try out the interior and see how I fit.

you can pick up used Escalade hybrids cheap

16 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

you can pick up used Escalade hybrids cheap

True, but then you have to find one.

One on the dealership lot north of Seattle with 199,000 plus miles and one a couple hundred miles away with 48,000 plus miles but that is it. If I go across the country, using autotrader, I only find 37 hybrids available for sale from $34,500 at 95,000 plus miles to $5,795 with 254,000 plus miles.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/Hybrid/Cadillac/Escalade/Mountlake+Terrace+WA-98043?listingTypes=USED&searchRadius=0&zip=98043&startYear=1981&endYear=2020&marketExtension=true&makeCodeList=CAD&modelCodeList=ESCALA&fuelTypeGroup=HYB&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

There are a few below 50,000 miles, but I have to wonder if they are gremlins of electrical or accident rebuilds. Be interesting, but sadly they are all of the horrid second generation which had the seats that would not go flat against the floor so I could fit without having to recline the bloody seat which I hate.

Have to wait for the EV Escalade of 2021.

Seems Saudi Arabia says full production restored, Oil has dropped 6% in after market trading.

WOW talk about fast repair on such a major attack.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/oil-plunges-as-saudi-arabia-says-production-fully-restored/ar-AAHq96u?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=wispr

On 9/17/2019 at 10:30 PM, dfelt said:

Seems Saudi Arabia says full production restored, Oil has dropped 6% in after market trading.

WOW talk about fast repair on such a major attack.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/oil-plunges-as-saudi-arabia-says-production-fully-restored/ar-AAHq96u?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=wispr

Saudi Arabia has been lying about their production for years... so I have no reason to assume they're telling the truth now. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Saudi Arabia has been lying about their production for years... so I have no reason to assume they're telling the truth now. 

Maybe pulling from storage they have already as I agree with you, truth from them is nothing but a grey lie to the world.

• 3 weeks later...

1.  Keep it since it's paid for, drive less, and make more use of walking, a bicycle, and/or public transit

or MAYBE

2.  Get one of the last basic Hyundai Accents with a 6-speed automatic transmission if there are any left on the lots

However, price spikes like that (in the U.S., anyway) are typically transient in nature.  At least I hope so.