September Car Observation Thread

Robert Hall

Have a few days off, took a drive...beautiful sunny 75 degree day. Drove down to Tuscarawas County where I'm from and drove some backroads I haven't driven in 30 years or more..

Outside the village of Tuscarawas on a back road, I spotted what appeared to be a 1941 1940 LaSalle moldering in a yard...

IMG-4249.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

'40 is the last year.
Prob a '38-40, but I've not committed LaSalles to memory.

The vertical slots on each side of the grille is why I thought it was the '40.

1920px-LaSalle_1940_(5768339279).jpg

A couple other spotting from that trip---a black '62 Falcon convertible, no top, sitting in a yard along w/ a couple mid 60s Ford F-series pickups and a couple old 60s-70s IH fronted schoolbuses,   and along I-77 in Canton spotted a classic car dealer w/ a yellow '56-57 Corvette on top of the building on a sign.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 4

I had just been reading the admin staff review on the newer Volvo sedan and I saw one right after that.  Here it is.

KIMG0675.thumb.jpg.f2ab4aeebcea5190e7182f5563f1417c.jpg

It's fairly safe looking.  I like the rear fascia fairly well.  I saw those frumpy, old school a/c vents (and knobs) inside.  If Volvos were anything like they used to be, or were reputed to be, it should feel like a bank vault and last a good long while.

• Thanks 1

A Tale of Two Chevys.  What a contrast I must say.

In a Couche Tard parking lot (7 Eleven if you will) 

At one end of a 7-8 car parking on the left. An all black C7 Corvette Z06 with the Z07 package and at the complete other end, a 1988-'89ish blue Corsica and no other cars in the middle.    The Corsica was in extremely good condition. 

As I zoomed past the depanneur, this is the visual I got:  

Used 2017 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z07 Performance Package For Sale ($79,995)  | BJ Motors Stock #H5605365                 Chevrolet Corsica 1993 года, 3.1 л., Привет, бензин, тип кузова Седан,  Самарская область, расход 11.0       

Edited by oldshurst442

11 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

A Tale of Two Chevys.  What a contrast I must say.

In a Couche Tard parking lot (7 Eleven if you will) 

At one end of a 7-8 car parking on the left. An all black C7 Corvette Z06 with the Z07 package and at the complete other end, a 1988-'89ish blue Corsica and no other cars in the middle.    The Corsica was in extremely good condition. 

As I zoomed past the depanneur, this is the visual I got:  

Used 2017 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z07 Performance Package For Sale ($79,995)  | BJ Motors Stock #H5605365                 Chevrolet Corsica 1993 года, 3.1 л., Привет, бензин, тип кузова Седан,  Самарская область, расход 11.0       

Odd neither car has a license plate...is that a EU style license plate bracket on the bumper of the Corsica with a 'Russia' decal? 

Spotted a very clean '74 Monte Carlo in a triple avocado green (a color that was very popular w/ mid 70s Chevys I think) and a pink chrome late model Mustang GT convertible (probably a wrap, looked like a Spectraflame Hot Wheels car). 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Spotted on 9/11/2020.  I guess this accessory exists, but it's the first time I've seen it.  The owner saw me taking a photo and laughed.

KIMG0710.thumb.JPG.331190ff3db0ac3d52a0bcbdb7991003.JPG

Edited by trinacriabob
added that this was in 2020
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

^ That would work for me also, as I have a black Jeep.  But I'm definitely not the black sheep of my family...

I probably qualify, but rarely got into trouble.  More often than not, it tends to be middle and last born kids. For me, I think it was mostly about attitude.

- - - - -

Also spotted this weekend ... this was just a regular restaurant serving a happy hour on its patio, and someone obviously decided to drive their classic Pontiac GTO (426, 429, not sure) to it.

KIMG0711.thumb.JPG.72975d4e85773b085ca0c76f53281ba4.JPG

The front end treatment is suggestive of the big Bonneville

KIMG0715.thumb.JPG.a9c29c529d07cca428f6bf84a325d81d.JPG

Thinking back, this roof line was sleek compared to the more stout '65s

KIMG0720.thumb.JPG.4d61bb446959dd3a7f5a1c27b1b71817.JPG

A signature on the hood to remind you it's a Pontiac. 

KIMG0721.thumb.JPG.3c468d9dc2739d2290d6b5d1da109f2b.JPG

Pull tabs, so no A/C.  No electric gizmos.  Blue!

KIMG0724.thumb.JPG.6c75017778cb9b044ecb9f809c911129.JPG

Don't know the name for this finned back lite treatment, but it was unique to the GM mid-sizes of this run of a few MYs.

KIMG0729.thumb.JPG.b094d10b6e41142aa36fd0972aea347d.JPG

Great tail lamps.  Horizontal makes the car look sportier, IMHO.  Possibly Grand Prix related, in a way.  

This was a pleasant surprise.

• Agree 3

Beautiful ‘67 GTO.  Would be a 400.  I was the last-born in my family, and my sister is the middle child.  We have both been the best behaved and successful, while our older brother has been a perpetual screwup since he was a teenager.  

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Beautiful ‘67 GTO.  Would be a 400.  I was the last-born in my family, and my sister is the middle child.  We have both been the best behaved and successful, while our older brother has been a perpetual screwup since he was a teenager.  

The 400 was born by then?  Interesting.  Someone who saw the photos did say '67.

When it rains, it pours ... within 5 minutes at each other, and on the same major street, 2 very cool older Buicks.

Here's a '76 Buick Regal S/R.  The badging is gone and modified (the S/R badge is gone and a 350 badge was added where they used to put a V6 badge, but this was a V8.)  The guy (in the car) told me he picked it up for between $3K and $4K.  That is amazing.  I pulled out my phone and explained to him that S/Rs were fairly rare and Buick's late answer to the upscale Cutlasses with buckets of those same years.  He didn't know about the S/R designation, but knew of Salon and Calais trims for Olds.  When they took the Regal from horizontal to "baby Eldorado" tail lamp treatment, it took the appeal of this coupe way, way up.

KIMG0857.thumb.JPG.0501b2077aa6a69b890f249d3425343a.JPG

I asked him if I could take photos.  He was cool with it.

KIMG0855.thumb.JPG.9d551261c45669861b723f865f306238.JPG

The Superman floor mats have to go, but check out the trestle shifter on the console.

KIMG0856.thumb.JPG.2d2b8e8bf6e3b72cce49cb5c8ff9e208.JPG

We will never see these kinds of automotive interiors again.  Sad.

Then, a few blocks away, I see this.  A '91 or '92 Riviera.  This was the best color for it, IMO, and for its sibling, the Toronado.  Olds called it Light Driftwood Metallic.  Either car looked great in it, provided it had alloy wheels and not wire wheel covers.  I'm probably partial to the Toro.

KIMG0859.thumb.JPG.b6890d1ed5b6267cb3f2428a8478b33d.JPG

With this rear pillar and the rounder rear fenders, along with the notchback rear window and long trunk, this run of Rivieras was unmistakable.

KIMG0866-inked.thumb.jpg.1ddbc87f8e7bc2e34ce1705ab8bee25f.jpg

As the Riviera downsized, so did its "Parthenon" grille.

Amazing sights, within just 5 minutes.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 3

38 minutes ago, David said:

@trinacriabob Is that an 8 Track deck I spy on that Buick?

Good eye!  He told me he put it in for old school, memory lane purposes.

What a sweet ride, though.  If it were in a nicer color combo, I wouldn't mind having one.  And the price he paid!!! They want big bucks for those old Cutlasses and Regals in good condition.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Nice Regal and Riviera...haven't seen one of those Regals in ages.   There is a Riviera of that vintage I see occasionally around here, same color...in a driveway w/ a white Regal 4dr from around 2000 and a silver '96-99 Riviera. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/20/2020 at 7:53 PM, ocnblu said:

Genesis

IIRC those wheels indicate an AWD version.

(1) Thank you, and (2) I believe so; I've seen different wheel designs for more basic RWD models.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Wait a mullet!!!!

2C9DC0B4-F961-401E-9FBB-9AD7C62F8E9D.jpeg

So that's a base model Ecosport, and you can order an external spare like in India etc., except it's only on the base trim... which I find odd.  I still like these, they have more stuff on them than an equivalent Trax, and the side-opening door is super handy.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

So that's a base model Ecosport, and you can order an external spare like in India etc., except it's only on the base trim... which I find odd.  I still like these, they have more stuff on them than an equivalent Trax, and the side-opening door is super handy.

Only on the base trim? That's super odd.  What does the upper trim come with? Fix-a-Flat?

3 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Yup, well, an inflator kit I think. 

EcoSport above base has a Inflator Kit. LOL, too funny. Think I would want the real tire. That is surprising that you cannot opt to get it above the base trim. Very Weird.

3 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Yup, well, an inflator kit I think. 

Makes me wonder what the similarly sized Trax comes with...and I drove my sister's Trax from Florida to Ohio in January and never thought about a spare..

My next door neighbor's teenage daughter has a black Ecosport. 

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Today, I saw a Tesla on the freeway.  That's not that unusual.

On it, it had the license plate:

GAS HAHA

It made for a HAHA moment.

Saw a Tesla a couple of years ago with the license plate 'GARBGE'.   I figured that either the driver was a fan of the band Garbage,  was in the waste management business, or was named Bob Garbage or something like that. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Saw a Tesla a couple of years ago with the license plate 'GARBGE'.   I figured that either the driver was a fan of the band Garbage,  was in the waste management business, or was named Bob Garbage or something like that. 

Two intentional wrong answers in a row, mine and yours

On 9/23/2020 at 6:50 AM, ocnblu said:

They have ctually grown on me quite a bit. Doubt I will ever own one...but neat. 

9 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Do some Tesla owners have cognitive dissonance about their purchase?  I don't know.  It's not my sort of sled, and not because I have anything against EVs.  It's just the whole Tesla mystique that I find annoying.

This afternoon, I tanked up.  Upon leaving the gas station, I saw a new mid-engine Corvette.  I have been seeing more of them.  This time, and for the first time, I saw one that was metallic silver with the dark red leather interior.  It was stunning, and not just because I like that color combination in general.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Here is something borrowed and blue.  I am sure that ocnblu will like it.

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

Nice.  Base model ... and a coupe.  Thinking they still used the 283 V8 for this M.Y., or would it have been 307 and/or 327 ...

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Pumpkin-colored, impeccably-clean '72 Monte Carlo.

One of my mom's BFs had a beautiful '72 Monte in Burnt Orange, it was about two yerrs old at that point.  Black vinyl top, saddle vinyl buckets.

Example:

1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo.jpg

• Agree 3