Sign in to follow this  
regfootball

HELMETS

76 posts in this topic

regfootball    234

The Ben Roethlisbeger deal is just another example of the ludicrous nature of people not wearing helmets riding a motorcycle.

Its time to mandate it.

You will not avoid an accident. Chances are good you will take a dive at some point. The pavement is hard. Its harder than just about anything else you can think of. Maybe it doesn't look cool. But neither does an egg splattered across the pavement.

Edited by regfootball

Northstar    11

I agree they should make helmets mandatory. If seatbelts are mandatory, then helmets definetly should be; I'd rather get in a wreck in a car without my seatbelt on than get thrown off a motorcycle without a helmet.

BTW, I found it funny that Roethlisberger said he didn't buy motorcycles to go fast on, yet he bought a Suzuki that Suzuki claims is the "world's fastest street legal bike" and I also found it funny that Suzuki claims it's their safest bike as well. What makes one bike safer than another? Last I checked your body is unprotected on all motorcylces, so I fail to see how one is safer than another, much less safe at all.

PurdueGuy    72

What makes one bike safer than another?

Crumple zones? lol

I also find it ironic that there is rule after rule after rule after rule about saftey equipment & standards for cars... or you can throw it all out the window & ride a motorcycle. :rolleyes: Is there no room in between for someone who wants an uber-light vehicle with a bit of a cabin and be allowed on the road? Not sure I'd be one - I like safety, but still.

I'm not anti-motorcycle, nor anti-safety standard, but it is an interesting paradox. I think it results from politicians doing 2 things they do well: doing whatever appeals to the public (increased safety standards), and protecting their own interests (I'm sure plenty of politicians enjoy motorcycles). A simmilar paradox was pointed out with noise ordinances that exist in many areas against modified, noisy exhuast systems on cars, while motorcycles are far louder. Again, I'm not a fan of loud, obnoxious exhausts either, but it's an interesting paradox.

Summary: I don't disagree with how things are, but could understand where someone might.

Cory Wolfe    263

Yeah.. I always wear a helmet while riding the Nighthawk. My dad doesn't. I couldn't imagine hitting the pavement would feel very pleasant... I agree. Still, I hope Ben recovers... The Steeler's still need him. :P

Turbojett    103

I honestly don't think he'll be able to play again.

And I think helmets are mandated here. I can't tell you how many times I got yelled at by cops just as a kid for not wearing a helmet on my bicycle.

Camino LS6    866

The helmet law was repealed in PA just recently, and I say good. I can't stand laws that try to protect me from myself. It's called freedom, we seem to forget what that means a bit more each year.

evok    0

The helmet law was repealed in PA just recently, and I say good. I can't stand laws that try to protect me from myself. It's called freedom, we seem to forget what that means a bit more each year.

Agreed, though I would never in sound mind drive a car without a seat belt or ride a bike w/o a helmut, it is my choice and should not be mandated by the states for occupants over 18 yo.

CSpec    515

Does the law in PA say anything about proving you have health insurance? There's no way I'm paying for some idiot's trip to the ER because they don't have insurance.

Camino LS6    866

Does the law in PA say anything about proving you have health insurance? There's no way I'm paying for some idiot's trip to the ER because they don't have insurance.

Auto/motorcycle insurance is mandated by law in PA and has to cover personal injury at at least a minimum level.

Drew Dowdell    5,000

He crashed just 4 blocks from where I'm consulting. We could see the news helicopters and the emergancy vehicles from th 26th floor. Then someone's cell phone went off with the news announcement that it was Ben.

Mr.Krinkle    0

i was in PA a couple of weeks ago and noticed a couple people riding without helmets on. all i could think is wow, they must really not care. to each his own.

but even if you are the most responsible rider, theres always the chance of some jackass doing something stupid, and in a car its no biggy but you usually dont win that battle against the pavement if youre on a bike. hell, a big dog could run out from no where and send you flying. i guess thats part of the thrill too though.

regfootball    234

enjoy the KERSPLAT of your head against some thick hard concrete

regfootball    234

^

regfootball    234

i was in PA a couple of weeks ago and noticed a couple people riding without helmets on.  all i could think is wow, they must really not care.  to each his own.

but even if you are the most responsible rider, theres always the chance of some jackass doing something stupid, and in a car its no biggy but you usually dont win that battle against the pavement if youre on a bike.  hell, a big dog could run out from no where and send you flying.  i guess thats part of the thrill too though.

yes, raw brainmeat sizzling on hot pavement is thrilling. such a shame a guy can't get no Pu$$y wearing a helmet! we all know that's the main reason guys don't wear them. Cause they can't get laid then.

Camino LS6    866

C'mon now reg, do you really want me to smash ny head on the blacktop?

Truth is I don't ride, use a seatbelt (most of the time) and would likely wear a helmet if I did ride. None of that changes the fact that I should be free not to if I so choose. Freedom is far more important than safety.

regfootball    234

C'mon now reg, do you really want me to smash ny head on the blacktop?

Truth is I don't ride, use a seatbelt (most of the time) and would likely wear a helmet if I did ride. None of that changes the fact that I should be free not to if I so choose. Freedom is far more important than safety.

I guess than we shouldn't require hard hats on construction sites.

How is preserving human health and life a bad thing? News flash, if you ride, you will have an accident.

I'm all for choice, but this is akin to wearing seatbelts. Its the same as providing a guardrail on a balcony. Its the same as providing drinking water free of poisons.

Camino LS6    866

I guess than we shouldn't require hard hats on construction sites.

How is preserving human health and life a bad thing?  News flash, if you ride, you will have an accident.

I'm all for choice, but this is akin to wearing seatbelts.  Its the same as providing a guardrail on a balcony.  Its the same as providing drinking water free of poisons.

Life causes death, make your own choices and take your own risks. I resent being forced to do anything "for my own good". The addiction to safety or the illusion of safety at all costs in this society disgusts me. I believe we have a constitutional right to screw up our lives and/or bodies in whatever way we choose. It is the choice that matters.

ShadowDog    15

Life causes death, make your own choices and take your own risks. I resent being forced to do anything "for my own good". The addiction to safety or the illusion of safety at all costs in this society disgusts me. I believe we have a constitutional right to screw up our lives and/or bodies in whatever way we choose. It is the choice that matters.

Since when is a helmet an 'illusion of safety'? Is someone with some care to protecting their kids going to tell them to wear it today, but decide if they want to care about it when they reach the age of majority? Last I knew, the "Do as I say, not as I do" argument was considered crappy parenting.

If it becomes a "constitutional right" to decide not to wear a helmet, how does one police the issue of how much insurance a person should be paying since they offer themselves no protection? The rights of those forced to pay into equal terms is being infringed upon then. A constitutional right to screw up your lives and/or bodies in whatever way you choose has a monetary value that ends up being covered by those with the brains for self-preservation habits.

Why is it a choice that should matter? I don't care if its mandatory to wear a seat belt or helmet. I'm smart enough to recognize that anything can happen, and anything conveniently available to me for my safety might as well be used since they're proven to greatly assist in survivability of most accidents. I have a choice, and that's whether to get a ticket or not. Just how severe is an inconvenience that makes people choose not to wear a helmet or belt?

"Oh noes, mah hair is all messed up!"

Yes, if I had a bike I'd wear a helmet but it should be my right to choose

weaterh or not to do so. Massachusetts has a helmet law NH does not.

Let me tell you as a Mass resident the LAST effin thing we need is more

regulation! Be carefull what you wish for, slippery slope! <_<

I think people who ride BIKES without helmets are crazy, never mind a f-ing MOTORCYCLE.

One of my good friends walked into my dorm room one day with half his helmet in each hand. He was mountain biking on a very tight trail, came up over a crest, into the air and straight into a tree head first. Helmet split right in half. He hurt his legs a little on landing, but at least his head was OK.

Another friend was biking right in front of me and took a spill right onto the top of his head onto some stone steps. When he sat up he talked gibberish for about 30 seconds and scared the crap out of me. Thankfully he came back to his senses after, and was OK.

I saw some kid I didn't know out on the trails not wearing a helmet. I watched him slide out and go into a tree with his cheek. He got all cut up from it, and when I told him that a helmet would have hit the tree first he just stared at me. Stupid kids.

Mr.Krinkle    0

most wrecks on a motorcycle, helmet or not arent going to be pleasant.

a guy around here clipped the back end of a car that was going through a redlight and flew into the traffic light pole. helmet or not he had no neck and his spine was considerably shortened.

its like those guys who build their own planes then fly em, or like bill maher said of race car drivers once, one minute theyre here flying around an oil slicked race track at 200 mph and then the next minute theyre gone. why? it just doesnt make sense.

or something like that.

Satty    338

If I'm biking a difficult, dangerour trail I wear a helmet but when its one of the well kept park trail, I dont bother, nothing to hit my head on, no roads to cross, nowhere to wipeout because of a sudden turn.

Drew Dowdell    5,000

If I'm biking a difficult, dangerour trail I wear a helmet but when its one of the well kept park trail, I dont bother, nothing to hit my head on, no roads to cross, nowhere to wipeout because of a sudden turn.

dude, you need to wear a helmet when you drive your car....

Satty    338

Not a bad idea, I'll leave it in the back seat so thenext time I fly off the road I can put it on quickly.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this