Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevrolet News:Chevy Blazer EV Full Reveal set for July 18th

Chevrolet announced today that July 18th will the day they drop the curtain on the 2020 Chevrolet Blazer EV.  This will be an all-new, all-electric midsize crossover built on GM's Ultium platform.   Ultium is a joint venture between General Motors and LG Energy Solutions to provide flexible battery and powertrain solutions for any size of vehicle.  Ultium was initially released in the GMC Hummer pickup.

The Blazer EV is set to go on sale in Spring of 2023. That same year, Chevy will also launch the Silverado EV and Equinox EV while Cadillac is launching the Celestiq ultra-luxury sedan.

In addition to the Blazer EV trims, Chevy is planning an SS version to rival the Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition.  While we don't yet know the specs, expect a target near the 480 horsepower and 634 lb-ft of torque the Ford has.

View full article

It's a pretty sharp looking vehicle but I am REALLY not a fan of the lobster claw behind the front wheel. While over styled quite a bit, most of it looks pretty good. 

Why would something Cadillac be labeled as "ultra luxury"? Is it intending to compete with the Rolls and Bentlys of the world? 

18 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Why would something Cadillac be labeled as "ultra luxury"? Is it intending to compete with the Rolls and Bentlys of the world? 

$200k price, long hood proportions, intended to compete with high-end MB EQS, Ultra-Cruise (the next step above Super-Cruise), 400 mile range, auto-dimming glass roof, and hand built

• Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's a pretty sharp looking vehicle but I am REALLY not a fan of the lobster claw behind the front wheel. While over styled quite a bit, most of it looks pretty good. 

Cadillac CELESTIQ will be a completely hand built Ultra Luxury auto as Drew stated. They had a small press release this week and 4 images.

Cadillac CELESTIQ Show Car: A Magnetic First Impression

QUOTE: 

Today, Cadillac shared a glimpse of the CELESTIQ show car, which represents the purest expression of Cadillac design, technology and performance. From first approach, the striking silhouette of the CELESTIQ show car leaves a lasting impression, challenging the ultra-luxury space with the spirit of futurism and the avant-garde.

Cadillac’s signature lighting design rises to a new level on the CELESTIQ show car. Unmistakably Cadillac, but with a modern edge, a lively and soulful choreographed symphony of light boldly invites each passenger into the vehicle.

“From its unique proportions and a new effortless, sophisticated form language, to the precision and attention to detail, CELESTIQ is unlike anything on the road today,” said Magalie Debellis, manager, Cadillac Branded Advanced Design. “From its inception, the CELESTIQ show car was crafted to reincarnate the ‘Standard of the World.’”

Follow General Motors Design on Instagram for more early looks at the CELESTIQ show car throughout the summer.

cadillac-celestiq-show-car-01.jpgcadillac-celestiq-show-car-02.jpgcadillac-celestiq-show-car-03.jpgcadillac-celestiq-show-car-04.jpg

Very excited for the 2024 Chevy Blazer EV. This could be my daughters first new auto to replace her 1999 Durango. :metal:

44 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

$200k price, long hood proportions, intended to compete with high-end MB EQS, Ultra-Cruise (the next step above Super-Cruise), 400 mile range, auto-dimming glass roof, and hand built

Sounds like they're stepping in territory they've never been in. 

Good luck. I'd love to see them succeed up there. 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Sounds like they're stepping in territory they've never been in. 

Good luck. I'd love to see them succeed up there. 

@Drew Dowdell @balthazar Did Cadillac not compete in their past in this category of auto? Custom hand-built coach building I thought was their area in the past?

Liking the SS Video Chevrolet released today also.

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Let's see if they really go to that price point and really go wheel to wheel with the AMG and Maybach EQS.  Although I still think the S-class is more luxurious than the EQS.

This Blazer looks a bit station wagony, but maybe it is just the angle the picture was taken at.  

I think this is over styled, Toyota and GM both are doing a lot of that lately, all these different pieces and parts of the bumper, the gloss black wheel arches and door trim, the black out roof, that big scoop in the door.  It is overkill and this is going to age fast.  It reminded me of 90s to 2000s Pontiacs where GM just threw hood scoops, cladding and spoilers on everything to make it look sporty or stylish, and it just got dated and bad looking by the time the car was 4 years old.  Tesla's have a clean design, that's how the Model S can have 1 mild refresh in 10 years and still look modern.  I think GM design fell apart when Ed Welburn retired.  The Mach-E looks a lot better than this.

I do think GM if they put out the right products could hit it big in EV's, because I don't think they will have the production issues that some others have had and can hit price points that others aren't hitting.  They have potential, but the same people designing these EV exteriors and interiors are the same people that designed the the sedan lineup that is basically dead and gone, and all their uncompetitive crossovers that keep loosing market share to the Asian brands.  

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I think this is over styled, Toyota and GM both are doing a lot of that lately, all these different pieces and parts of the bumper,

You're 100% right here. I even know a designer over at GM, he works in GMC(only been there a couple years), who says this is way over styled. Fun fact, this has been around since before he started in 2019. 

@smk4565 @ccap41 Please define what you both mean by over styled?

This is not the current mess of Toyota, nor the predator hell of Lexus and it is way better than the Blah jellybean of Mercedes, what areas are over styled?

44 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The door window line resembles the regular Equinox more than the Blazer, IMO. 

I agree, now that you point that out, it look familiar but I could not put my finger on it, but your right more Equinox than Blazer.

9 hours ago, ccap41 said:

You're 100% right here. I even know a designer over at GM, he works in GMC(only been there a couple years), who says this is way over styled. Fun fact, this has been around since before he started in 2019. 

Ed Welburn retired in July of 2016, design has been going down hill since.  

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, David said:

This is not the current mess of Toyota, nor the predator hell of Lexus and it is way better than the Blah jellybean of Mercedes, what areas are over styled?

I agree, now that you point that out, it look familiar but I could not put my finger on it, but your right more Equinox than Blazer.

It has gloss black body cladding, which looks as bad as 90s Grand Am body cladding.  It has scoops in the fender/front door area, a gloss black roof, they stole the Thor's hammer headlight from Volvo, unoriginal there.  Blazer bumpers aren't actually like a bumper, they are 2 sides (the red) and a center piece which is black here, why isn't it just a bumper that runs across the car?  It is an EV with big grilles and air intakes unless a lot of those are solid behind and not functional, which is almost even worse. 

The 2019 Silverado was also a design mess, the worst looking of the full size trucks.  The Toyota EV has gloss black fender trim, GM is doing exactly what Toyota is, just like the Supra and Lexus cars with all sorts of unnecessary styling effects to try to make them look boy racer and stand out.

14 hours ago, David said:

Every current Toyota is a cleaner design than this. They may not be pretty but they're certainly cleaner and simpler than this. 

What I mean by over styled is they're adding things to just add things. It looks like there are 20 or so different body pieces going on in this picture. Big fake vents under the headlight with lines running through them, the bottom piece that has a bump up in it, there are just too many different lines going in too many different directions and it's just for the sake of styling. Oh and add in the lobster claw behind the rear wheel... 

5175126_BlazerSSEV.thumb.png.fe5e1cfc2397ebc957742096a640b877.png

I mean, what the heck is going on here?

image.png.d6d512d4c1034d994d68ac99bcf522d6.png

Edited by ccap41
  • Oh Yeah! 1

@smk4565 @ccap41

ccap41 I see what you are talking about, we know it is not 20 or so pieces for that front end, the bumper is clearly visiable since they put the SS on it, but the fake airvents are pretty common across the industry even Mercedes has them and it is the most BLAH of the designs. It is for sure a personal take as when I compare the following style images side by side with the following competition products, it is pretty equal and yet I find the Chevrolet the most pleasing of these three.

image.png

2023 Toyota BZ4X that has fake front air vents, the bottom vent is real as Toyota is using air cooling of the battery pack much like the Nissan Leaf.

2023_Toyota_BZ4X_XLE_Supersonic_Red_001.jpg

Have to say Toyota seems to have taken style from the Lexus predator but used the Tesla front end smooth affect and it is Hideous imho.

20 minutes ago, David said:

ccap41 I see what you are talking about, we know it is not 20 or so pieces for that front end, the bumper is clearly visiable since they put the SS on it, but the fake airvents are pretty common across the industry even Mercedes has them and it is the most BLAH of the designs. It is for sure a personal take as when I compare the following style images side by side with the following competition products, it is pretty equal and yet I find the Chevrolet the most pleasing of these three.

20 may be an exaggeration but it isn't by much. There are 5 pieces just for the lighting elements. I'm not saying it is ugly. I'm just saying it is over styled. They just tried to make more lines, curves, dips, grilles than necessary, IMO. 

Fake vents aren't all that bad, I understand why they do them. They does this have an upper, lower, and two side vents ALSO with a big black plastic piece in the middle AND the fake opening in the bottom lip? There's just so much going on that could easily have been smoothed out. 

The GLB EV is definitely the cleanest of the group you sent but it obviously has the FWD proportions still so it's overall not great. 

I don't think the Toyota would look *that* bad if they decided to paint those freakin fenders. 

I'm surprised you like this so much but also the Rivian as the R1T is nowhere near as busy as this. 

That Toyota is "okay" to me. It's a little busy as well but it isn't overly done, imo. It would look better without the little grille just under the hood and without the ones at the very bottom corners as well. 

• Thanks 1

The GLB is the cleanest look and that is a converted ICE car, a clean sheet EV can be even cleaner with better proportions.  But aside from the clean or simple aspect, GM just doesn't style cars well right now.  Their interior dept. is still lagging what you find in comparable Kia/Hyundai/Genesis products at similar price points.  GM's EV mission only works if they #1 can deliver on price promises like a $30k Equinox, and #2 they get their interior and exterior design departments going to build cars people want.  Same goes for VW who claims they will outsell Tesla on EV's within 2 years, when their initial EV's are sales duds unless you count the Porsche Taycan and there is only so big a market for $150,000 sports sedans and they probably are quickly burning through that.

Style is a personal preference as each will find what they like.

I am not interested in buying a Blazer SS myself, but I think it looks way better than the blah EQB which is the bland Jellybean style Mercedes has adopted for all their EVs.

Toyota Rav4 I get, fits in the family and they seem to sell everyone that hits the lots so over styling seems to be desired by the public, yet not a good-looking Hybrid to me. The Toyota EV, that I honestly just cannot understand, totally agree with @ccap41 that the black plastic crap over the wheel wells needs to go, paint it. The bottom air vent to cool the battery I get has to stay, but they could have done so much better with that over all flat blunt nose they have. Like Tesla, seems someone was not happy with the auto and punched it flattening the front end.

Rivian, I love the style of, I also love the style of the Chevrolet E full size pickup. Will be interesting to see what and how the EV auto's morph as traditional ICE autos go away. I do love that GM is using the same names so that as ICE goes away you still have Blazer, Silverado, etc. No need to use bizarre character names that no one can figure out what it means without being told by someone in the trenches of that product line.

Anyone know what BZ stands for? I get the 4X as that indicates all-wheel drive.

BZ stands for

3 hours ago, David said:

Anyone know what BZ stands for? I get the 4X as that indicates all-wheel drive.

BZ stands for "Beyond Zero" to signify zero emissions.  4 is the size of the vehicle and X crossover.  Because the BZ4X can be had in front drive.

In theory a BZ5 would be a mid-size sedan, or maybe BZ5S, a BZ5X a mid-size crossover.  But given that a Supra that is small would have to be like a BZ2C, a Tundra a BZ8T.  This is all a mess as ultimately they just need to call this stuff Corolla, Camry and Supra, etc.

Edited by smk4565

51 minutes ago, regfootball said:

looks sharp, would refer a plugin hybrid though, or just a v6.

that said it should fit into the electric market well.

hope it doesn't have the issues the new Mach E has!

They already make a Blazer with a V6, and it's a bottom feeder in the segment.  

Plug in hybrid is almost also a waste of R&D dollars, you have to put all your R&D money into electric cars, or at least like 80-90% of it.

• Facepalm 1

To be honest, it is a CUV and ALL CUVs are bottom feeders.  

Appliance compliance vehicles for the sheeple masses driving along like zombies to their pathetic jobs, to their pathetic shopping and eating habits of shopping centers, retail outlets and fast food drive and shyytty coffee joint drive- thrus.  Hauling their spoiled bratty offspring to their weekly sporting events where everyone is a winner...  

CUVs being bought and sold to the lowest common denominator consumer no matter what social and/or economical class one belongs to.  To me, these people have given up in living life as there is NOTHING appealing to owning ANY of them.  Chevy, Ford, Tesla, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Volvo, VW, Porsche, etc...  It dont matter, ALL CUVs are bottom feeding shyttyy vehicles to own and drive.  

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

It dont matter, ALL CUVs are bottom feeding shyttyy vehicles to own and drive.  

While I get the sentiment here, my Flex would disagree with your post 100%. Love owning it and love driving it, which can not be said for 95% of the CUV market out there. It also doesn't look like everything else out there, for good or bad. Just so we are clear though, I do TOTALLY get the sentiment here.

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

While I get the sentiment here, my Flex would disagree with your post 100%. Love owning it and love driving it, which can not be said for 95% of the CUV market out there. It also doesn't look like everything else out there, for good or bad. Just so we are clear though, I do TOTALLY get the sentiment here.

And I too, understand where you are coming from.   About the Flex:

1. NOT a CUV.  More like a station wagon.  On the D4 platform.  Sure, the Explorer is based off of this platform, but so is the Taurus. 

The important thing about that is that the Flex is low to the ground.  Im will to bet that the Flex and Taurus have the same ground clearance.  While the Taurus drives like an old man's car, the Flex does not. 

Ive driven all three (Flex, Taurus, Explorer) when my Fusion was under all these recalls. The dealership was giving me these as loaners.   The Fusion had over 10 recalls....  Anyway.

The Explorer, with its higher ground clearance, tires not meant for spirited driving coupled that with suspension tuning geared for low common denominator zombie sheeple with no aspirations of having ANY kind of fun...wallowing around. Vomit inducing ride....like I was on a freakin boat on the high seas... 

The Taurus had almost the same feel, but at least the Taurus was lower to the ground minimizing the wallow-ey suspension travel. I could live with that moreso than I ever could with the Explorer.

The Flex, had a more conventional car ride.   It does not wallow at all.  But the Flex was not marketed to people that are devoid of having any kind of fun in their lives.  It looked different because it WAS different from all those other boring suburban appliances we call CUVs.  It didnt drive like its only mission in life was to haul little Johnny to baseball practice while watching the game through their smart phone's camera lense while texting and sending pics to  friends how little Johnny caught a fly ball... 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

The Flex, had a more conventional car ride.   It does not wallow at all.  But the Flex was not marketed to people that are devoid of having any kind of fun in their lives.  It looked different because it WAS different from all those other boring suburban appliances we call CUVs.  It didnt drive like its only mission in life was to haul little Johnny to baseball practice while watching the game through their smart phone's camera lense while texting and sending pics to  friends how little Johnny caught a fly ball... 

All of this plus a ton of room in the back with all the seats down and no sloping roof to cut off large items. I have hauled an entire loveseat in this, which simply could not have been done in any "car like" CUV with their sloping rooflines. My only regret is not getting a low mileage Eco-Boost model at the time, but that may change in the near future. I am waiting out this used car price hike craze currently consuming everything and then may hunt for a 2019-21 Eco-Boost Flex. What can I say? I like my wagons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Please, oh please, elaborate the part in bold.

Aside from the fact that the Blazer should be been more along the lines of the 4Runner, Wrangler, Bronco, (and the Xterra that Nissan should have), and is positioned wrong in the first place.  Even as just a crossover, it has a cheap interior, no hybrid option, the poor resale value that comes with a Chevy, and compare it to the Venza, Santa Fe and Sorrento (that offer 3rd rows too), Honda Passport, etc.  All those cars after better, just like the Telluride, Highlander, Pilot and Palisade are leaps and bounds better than the Traverse. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

To be honest, it is a CUV and ALL CUVs are bottom feeders.  

Appliance compliance vehicles for the sheeple masses driving along like zombies to their pathetic jobs, to their pathetic shopping and eating habits of shopping centers, retail outlets and fast food drive and shyytty coffee joint drive- thrus.  Hauling their spoiled bratty offspring to their weekly sporting events where everyone is a winner...  

CUVs being bought and sold to the lowest common denominator consumer no matter what social and/or economical class one belongs to.  To me, these people have given up in living life as there is NOTHING appealing to owning ANY of them.  Chevy, Ford, Tesla, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Volvo, VW, Porsche, etc...  It dont matter, ALL CUVs are bottom feeding shyttyy vehicles to own and drive.  

WOW, That would perfectly apply to all the FWD cars out there too. Appliance blah cars, every point you make my friend.

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Aside from the fact that the Blazer should be been more along the lines of the 4Runner, Wrangler, Bronco, (and the Xterra that Nissan should have), and is positioned wrong in the first place.  Even as just a crossover, it has a cheap interior, no hybrid option, the poor resale value that comes with a Chevy, and compare it to the Venza, Santa Fe and Sorrento (that offer 3rd rows too), Honda Passport, etc.  All those cars after better, just like the Telluride, Highlander, Pilot and Palisade are leaps and bounds better than the Traverse. 

The points you make here can be applied to every auto maker out there with various models picked from each OEM hitting these same points.

Mercedes has their fair share of dogs.

These Are The 10 Worst Cars Made By Mercedes-Benz (hotcars.com)

Interesting that the 2022 has the best and worst full size SUV both from Germany and Mercedes was not the best.

Consumer Reports Worst Full-Size Luxury SUV Is Also the Most Expensive (motorbiscuit.com)

Here was the skunks of the last decade and I have to agree what is stated about each specific model/year as these are well known issues.

10 Worst Mercedes-Benz Models Of The Last Decade (msn.com)

Why do I post this, cause you know NOTHING about the quality of the Blazer EV. NONE of us know anything about it as it has not been out so if you want to in the random thread bash the gas powered Blazer go ahead, but do not try to state that the Blazer EV is going to be just like the current Blazer ICE. Currently you nor anyone else can stay that about this auto yet.

We can clearly make our own feelings about existing EVs that are on the market today.

52 minutes ago, David said:

WOW, That would perfectly apply to all the FWD cars out there too. Appliance blah cars, every point you make my friend.

sure...   I never suggested otherwise just because I didnt mention FWD appliance vehicles in my rant there.  But with CUVs though, the appliance, meh factor is accentuated 10 fold.. 

The Irishman - It's What It Is GIF by MikeyMo | Gfycat

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, David said:

The points you make here can be applied to every auto maker out there with various models picked from each OEM hitting these same points.

Mercedes has their fair share of dogs.

These Are The 10 Worst Cars Made By Mercedes-Benz (hotcars.com)

Interesting that the 2022 has the best and worst full size SUV both from Germany and Mercedes was not the best.

Consumer Reports Worst Full-Size Luxury SUV Is Also the Most Expensive (motorbiscuit.com)

Here was the skunks of the last decade and I have to agree what is stated about each specific model/year as these are well known issues.

10 Worst Mercedes-Benz Models Of The Last Decade (msn.com)

Why do I post this, cause you know NOTHING about the quality of the Blazer EV. NONE of us know anything about it as it has not been out so if you want to in the random thread bash the gas powered Blazer go ahead, but do not try to state that the Blazer EV is going to be just like the current Blazer ICE. Currently you nor anyone else can stay that about this auto yet.

We can clearly make our own feelings about existing EVs that are on the market today.

I never said that the Blazer EV was going to be anything like the current Blazer.  I said the current V6 Blazer is bad, and that GM 3.6 has reliability issues too.  GM's current crossovers like Tract, Equinox, Blazer, Traverser and their GMC/Buick counterparts are all lacking compared to the Asian competition.  Much like the Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Lacrosse, etc lagged behind the Asian sedans that are still here.  History is repeating itself in the crossover market.  The EV's allow a reset button to be hit, so we'll see how the Ultium cars do.

• Facepalm 2

🤔 I do wonder as we go to bigger and bigger screens for the dashes how the OEMs are going to deal with dead pixels?

Currently I know TV companies all have their own version of how many pixels die before they will replace a screen. I wonder especially in the luxury segment, how many dots will have to appear dead before they replace the screen. Also with them sticking up above the dash, if they get snagged and broken how will that play out.

Over all, all gloss black is a pain to keep clean externally and internally, I totally agree with @Drew Dowdell on this.

I am hoping that Chevrolet when they bring out the Blazer EV will have more than just an all black interior or the but ugly white/grey they have done on the Bolt.

They need some warm Mocha type interiors, two tone. This is the one area I feel is a Failure already on the GMC Hummer. That white/Grey NASA inspired moon interior should have been an option, but they should have had additional interior colors or at least one other.

Hoping GM does not do their basic black only at launch on this EV.

10 minutes ago, David said:

🤔 I do wonder as we go to bigger and bigger screens for the dashes how the OEMs are going to deal with dead pixels?

Currently I know TV companies all have their own version of how many pixels die before they will replace a screen. I wonder especially in the luxury segment, how many dots will have to appear dead before they replace the screen. Also with them sticking up above the dash, if they get snagged and broken how will that play out.

Over all, all gloss black is a pain to keep clean externally and internally, I totally agree with @Drew Dowdell on this.

I am hoping that Chevrolet when they bring out the Blazer EV will have more than just an all black interior or the but ugly white/grey they have done on the Bolt.

They need some warm Mocha type interiors, two tone. This is the one area I feel is a Failure already on the GMC Hummer. That white/Grey NASA inspired moon interior should have been an option, but they should have had additional interior colors or at least one other.

Hoping GM does not do their basic black only at launch on this EV.

I was talking about gloss black on the exterior. 

28 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I was talking about gloss black on the exterior. 

Yes, Sorry, should have stated that first about the exterior as well as the interior before talking about the screens.

Agree, my Son has a glass black exterior on this Jeep GC and loves it, but it is always dirty looking even right after he washes it, it seems to show dirt still. Crazy.

18 minutes ago, David said:

Yes, Sorry, should have stated that first about the exterior as well as the interior before talking about the screens.

Agree, my Son has a glass black exterior on this Jeep GC and loves it, but it is always dirty looking even right after he washes it, it seems to show dirt still. Crazy.

It's like a water spot magnet

• Agree 2