2012 Buick Verano

Paolino

2012 Buick Verano Order Guide Up

August 24, 2011 - Paul Guastella - Cheersandgears.com

gallery_46_525923.png

It looks to be nicely contented. But it still leaves a little to be desired.

PROS:

7" LCD Touchscreen, 18" wheels, 180hp 2.4L DI (up from originally announced 177hp), Dual Zone Climate Control, Bluetooth, Ambient Lighting, Express Down on all windows (Express Up on both front windows), Remote Start, four interior color options (cashmere, choccachino, ebony, medium titanium)

CONS:

Not many, but some big ones... 6-way power driver seat with manual recline standard, NO OPTION for power passenger seat. Only six exterior color choices: silver, white, white diamond, black, brown, red.

More or less, I think it'll sell. I'm curious to see pricing... I'd be interested in this myself.

I'm concerned that the base stereo is the same weak one found in other Buicks. The option is a 9-speaker BOSE with subwoofers.

Link to Order Guide

Edited by Paolino

Thanks for posting this information, and your pros and cons, Paolino. I too am very interested in this car, I can't wait until they hit my local dealer's lot so I can take one out for a test drive. The wife likes the Verano, but likes the LaCrosse much better, and I like the overall size of the LaCrosse but feel we should look at a more fuel efficient commuter car since we have the Envoy for family duty.

Thanks for posting this information, and your pros and cons, Paolino. I too am very interested in this car, I can't wait until they hit my local dealer's lot so I can take one out for a test drive. The wife likes the Verano, but likes the LaCrosse much better, and I like the overall size of the LaCrosse but feel we should look at a more fuel efficient commuter car since we have the Envoy for family duty.

I'm in a similar situation... Love the LaCrosse and could definitely see myself in one, but I will be starting a new job next week with a healthy commute, so I can't ignore that a more fuel-efficient car would be appreciated.

I think for a long time, GM (and even the entire auto market) has needed a luxury compact rather than all the sport compacts that are out there. There is definitely a market for a smaller, cheaper version of an ES350/Avalon/MKZ sort of car with some luxury and smooth ride. Although, I get a big Pontiac G6 vibe from the Verano because of the headlights and slab sides, which cheapens the car for me.

I think this is a car that could do well with a diesel as well, turn up the boost slightly to have it out run the diesel cruze.

A 50mpg premium car that's not a hybrid would make a splash I think.

SMK, I can totally see what you see regarding the headlights/side panels. I think though when seeing this car in person, the attention to detail within the headlamps and the blue halo will not make many see a cheap car though. That interior, in my opinion, is a winner as well. My ONLY gripe about the styling are the "eyebrows" on the rear.

I think this will be the suprise break out car for Buick. With the great sales of the Cruze this car will appeal to many people who want more for less money.

I was impressed with the one I saw last winter and even the wife really liked it. In economic times like this a cheaper smaller economical car may play very well if done right and I think this one will strike a cord with the public.

With the pricing of the Regal I suspect this car will be a lot of car for the money. If anything it may hurt the Cruze sales would be the only real negitive.

I think you'd look good in one, Paulie. I think it's really snazzy, myself. I wish it had a sweepspear, the sides are Opel-y, like the Riggle. I do appreciate the sumptuous interior and the Buick front end, ventiports, and angry taillights, which, to me, hark back to the angry '59... the LaCrosse has mildly perturbed taillights, but the headlights are in a stern mood. Adds a sense of authority, which a Buick should have, imo.

Thanks ocn. My only qualm is that I LOVE bigger cars. And I LOVE a V6. It's been a long time since I've owned anything smaller than a midsize. And the second knee airbags came out I got concerned... I'm tall. In a small car my knees are at the dash. How hard does the airbag blow out? I'm sure they took into consideration tall people may drive the car though.

I think this will be the suprise break out car for Buick. With the great sales of the Cruze this car will appeal to many people who want more for less money.

I was impressed with the one I saw last winter and even the wife really liked it. In economic times like this a cheaper smaller economical car may play very well if done right and I think this one will strike a cord with the public.

With the pricing of the Regal I suspect this car will be a lot of car for the money. If anything it may hurt the Cruze sales would be the only real negitive.

I agree, but if what Paulie posted is true regarding the lack of basic premium options (power passenger seat), then I'll be more cautiously optimistic. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care what size class it is, a luxury brand should offer power seats for both seating positions standard. But to not even offer that as an option? I'll just buy a Cruze and save a few grand.

• Agree 1

I agree, but if what Paulie posted is true regarding the lack of basic premium options (power passenger seat), then I'll be more cautiously optimistic. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care what size class it is, a luxury brand should offer power seats for both seating positions standard. But to not even offer that as an option? I'll just buy a Cruze and save a few grand.

I'm hoping they edit the order guide and it's just an omitted line because as it stands right now, it shows no possible offering of a power passenger seat. Hell, I was surprised to see the driver's seat as an option, especially in a car that has creature comforts like remote start, dual zone auto climate control, a 7" LCD screen all standard.

Model year timelines and releases are so random now who knows..the Charger and 300C both came out as MY 11s but during CY 11, IIRC...ultimately, the model year means very little.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I thought the Verano was going to be introduced in the Fall. Five months from now is almost February... wouldn't that make it a 2013?

Not necessarily. The original Mustang was released as a 1964 and 1/2.

Not sure it's meaningful to make a model year standards statement with an example that's ~48 years old.

I thought the Verano was going to be introduced in the Fall. Five months from now is almost February... wouldn't that make it a 2013?

Not necessarily. The original Mustang was released as a 1964 and 1/2.

Not sure it's meaningful to make a model year standards statement with an example that's ~48 years old.

OK, well the final G8 was a 2009.5, is that modern enough for you?

As solid as the Cruze feels driving it, a "Quiet Tuned" Verano must be like a vault inside. Cruze has 6-way manual adjustments on both front seats... good enough for me, I'll be the only one in the car prolly 90% of the time anyway.

As solid as the Cruze feels driving it, a "Quiet Tuned" Verano must be like a vault inside. Cruze has 6-way manual adjustments on both front seats... good enough for me, I'll be the only one in the car prolly 90% of the time anyway.

Of course...and that's why the Cruze is a great car for the Chevrolet brand. Verano is a Buick, so it needs to offer a little more content to justify the higher pricing and its presence in a luxury brand's lineup.

The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu is set to debut in January 2012. I doubt a Verano would come out and after and be called a 2012. The Buick website says "late 2011", so we'll see.

I'm counting on it being "vault like" because honestly I HATE the sound of a 4-cylinder engine, and love a quiet car.

The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu is set to debut in January 2012. I doubt a Verano would come out and after and be called a 2012. The Buick website says "late 2011", so we'll see.

I may have been off in my month count... VP of Buick Sales told me he'd have the Verano in store in time to get them under the Christmas tree.

I may have been off in my month count... VP of Buick Sales told me he'd have the Verano in store in time to get them under the Christmas tree.

Cool, can you hint that it'd be a very nice stocking stuffer for me? ;)

Opelish interior, Cruze just about everything else, GMDAT did most of the work.

Are you sure?

The Verano and Astra appear to share the exact same interior (minus the Buick's plood/color schemes), the same greenhouse from the B-pillar forward, identical doors, hood, all hard points between the headlamps and taillamps, mirrors, etc.

Well I love the rear of the Verano, and can't wait for LAIAS to roll around so I can properly check one out.

I agree with you, Croc. I love the rear too and the "angry chrome eyebrows", sets the Verano apart from other small cars and makes it instantly recognizible as the Buick.

Looking at the pics, it looks like the metal from the B-pillar forward is shared w/ the Astra wagon...

800px-Opel_Astra_Sports_Tourer_1.4_Turbo_ECOTEC_%28J%29_%E2%80%93_Heckansicht%2C_26._M%C3%A4rz_2011%2C_Mettmann.jpg

2012-buick-verano-embed-3.jpg

I LOVE the Astra wagon, wish it would come here as an addition to the Bucik Verano line-up.

Are you sure?

The Verano and Astra appear to share the exact same interior (minus the Buick's plood/color schemes), the same greenhouse from the B-pillar forward, identical doors, hood, all hard points between the headlamps and taillamps, mirrors, etc.

Plood, huh? Which carmaker puts in better wood inserts and why? A lot of plood goes on everywhere these days.

Are you sure?

I agree with you. The Verano is basically a sedan version of the Astra 5-door with Buick specific design elements.