Drew Dowdell

Detroit 2019: 2020 Cadillac XT6

Cadillac's 3-row crossover finally shows up.

Cadillac released images and information on their all-new 2020 Cadillac XT6 today.  Based on the same chassis as the GMC Acadia, the new XT6 slots between the XT5 and the Escalade in terms of size and price.  Two trims are available, Premium Luxury and Sport.

The XT6 is powered by the familiar 3.6 liter V6 with 310 hp. Active fuel management comes standard and allows the engine to run in 4-cylinder mode when V6 power is not needed.  All-Wheel Drive is available on the Premium Luxury and is standard on Sport. The Sport model's AWD is a more advanced active twin-clutch design.  Sport also comes with Continuous Damping Control (note: Not Magnetic ride control - DD) and a faster steering ratio for more enthusiastic performance.  Power is fed through a 9-speed automatic transmission with Electronic Precision Shift.

Inside the XT6 provides the driver and all passengers with "the best seat in the house". A contemporary interior aesthetic surround occupants with semi-aniline leather seating surfaces, carbon fiber trim on the Sport, and wood on Premium Luxury models.  Additionally available interior features include an in-cabin air ionizer, heated and ventilated front seats, heated second-row seats,  and a standard heated steering wheel. All models come with 6 USB ports for charging devices.

Cadillac's CUE Infotainment system now includes 1-touch pairing with users' phones via near field communication and a new rotary controller with intuitive jog functionality. CUE will now allow drivers to store their profile in the cloud for customization across compatible vehicles.

Additional CUE features include:

• Updated navigation functionality with natural address entry.
    • Capable of supporting SiriusXM 360L.
    • 4G LTE Wi-Fi® hotspot (includes 3GB or three months of data, whichever comes first).
    • Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for compatible smartphones.
    • Next-generation, 15-watt wireless charging.
    • Teen Driver.

The 2020 Cadillac XT6  will be built in Spring Hill TN and will go on sale later this year.

2020 Cadillac XT6 Debut.pdf

Interesting that they went with the short Acadia/Blazer wheelbase on this (according to the Car & Driver article). I guess they are saving the longer Traverse/Enclave wheelbase for a future XT7.   C&D called out the interior materials as being cheap and common.  How does it look in person?

Edited by Robert Hall

Should be roundly panned for being so lazily presented.  Not competitive in the class.  Lincoln shows how it is done in this market space.  Profoundly terrible.  Looks like an old XC90's metrosexual brother who was conceived, miraculously, after being strained through the sheets.

1 minute ago, ocnblu said:

Agreed, highly disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

You're right.  Same wheelbase as Acadia, but 5 inches longer overall.

Acadia:

Exterior Dimensions

Wheelbase : in 112.5

Length, Overall : in 193.6

XT6

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS

Wheelbase: 112.7
    Overall Length: 198.8

• Sad 1

Should be competitive w/ the MDX and RX, though.    Just another AWD/FWD/transverse engine lease appliance gap-filler, nothing aspirational.    The Aviator seems way more compelling.

Edited by Robert Hall

I wish I were 6'6" at times like this, I could say I cannot fit in it and that would be that.  Debuts at the bottom of the class.  Who does that?

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Should be competitive w/ the MDX and RX, though.

I suppose.  I wanted Cadillac to aim higher like the Aviator. The Aviator is going to play in Land Rover's territory. This will be lucky to compete with MDX.

• Sad 1

The problem is GM won't invest in a proper RWD platform to take on Lincoln and the Europeans....so they cheaped out and put a fresh body and interior on a generic appliance platform... reheated rancid meat w/ new toppings.   Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Edited by Robert Hall
    • Sad 1

Trying to say something positive...I do like the brown color and the wheels.   Like the interior colors also.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I suppose.  I wanted Cadillac to aim higher like the Aviator. The Aviator is going to play in Land Rover's territory. This will be lucky to compete with Escape or Ecosport.

Fixed that for you.

44 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Lipstick on a pig.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Once again...now that the ST twins are gone...Jeep seems to be the only domestic building things I actually want to own. This does not warm my heart towards Cadillac.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Mitsubishi...so Glad that Cadillac is following the maker of the Japaneze Zero on a kamikaze path.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Suddenly even to me Ford almost looks good. New Explorer. ..aviator...Escape is better than comparable GM offerings...they will bring out a revised Ecosport to fix that...new Bronco...wonder how much crow I would have to eat if I actually started being positive about Ford?

But if this is GMs nrw direction...Hyundai Santa Fe looks better than this.

I don’t have much time right now to go full throttle on this like I want to but why does this approach remind of a “Cadillac XL7 “. Practically same dimensions. Pedestrian 3.6 v6. Badge engineered stretched common crossover to plug a showroom hole. Done on the cheap. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/suzuki/xl7/2007/specs/xl7-awd-4dr-luxury-w3rd-row-287331

except they’ll probably sticker it at 70k

The Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator will wipe Cadillacs ass off the floor   I never thought I would go back to Ford products but it’s hilarious to see this train wreck

but we also should not be shocked if this becomes Cadillacs main seller  grandma and grandpa would have bought an XT5 if it had a third row, you know

Edited by regfootball

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

In a one star hotel with meth addicts on the sidewalk outside no less.

3 minutes ago, regfootball said:

except they’ll probably sticker it at 70k

It's worse than that @regfootball I'll explain more when I'm not driving

11 minutes ago, regfootball said:

And oddly, almost the same design profile

2020-Cadillac-XT6-Luxury-016.jpg

Suzuki-XL7-2007-1280-05.jpg

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I kinda agree, and at the same time I like the funky front end....

Wonder if it will grow on us in time?

12 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

I kinda agree, and at the same time I like the funky front end....

Wonder if it will grow on us in time?

Unusual to see a Cadillac w/ horizontal headlights..been a while.

The kick up in the quarter window reminds of where Jeep has been going w/ recent designs like the Renegade and Compass.  I bet the next Grand Cherokee greenhouse will resemble this.

Edited by Robert Hall

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Unusual to see a Cadillac w/ horizontal headlights..been a while.

Except at 70 K for a Grand Cherokee Jeep will do everything short of having the girl at the reception desk perform an unmentionable act for me.  70K for Cadillac and people at the Bar will wonder why I put a junkyard Cadillac front clip on a Traverse.

20 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

I kinda agree, and at the same time I like the funky front end....

Wonder if it will grow on us in time?

In the same way bacteria on a petri dish grow in a alb.

26 minutes ago, William Maley said:

And oddly, almost the same design profile

2020-Cadillac-XT6-Luxury-016.jpg

Suzuki-XL7-2007-1280-05.jpg

Cadillac Grand Vitara....has a better ring to it than XT6.

Upon further reflection...one legacy brand did not die. Look at this...Spring Hill is still building Saturns!

4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

HahaL...true, the Jeep will still have a proper platform I assume... from what I've read, they aren't going w/ the stretched Stelvio platform plan but a revised version of WK2 (as WK3) with short and long wheelbase versions...2021 supposedly.

Edited by Robert Hall

I think it looks better than the XT5, I just didn't mesh with the really stubby proportions of that car.

I tried an experiment where I looked at the photo here that is front head -on 3/4 of it... I covered the light blade with my finger and then I realized... where have I seen this before?

I think this car will sell pretty well, and I think this is what Cadillac purchasers (not customers) ultimately want. This is the XTS replacement. The interior is nice, the outside isn't ugly, and I almost think that Cadillac has realized that their crossover buyers don't cross shop  with the Germans, as Cadilllac doesn't offer anything except the Escalade that can get into really high price ranges and engines bigger than a V6.

Like an Ikea imitation of a 3 row luxury SUV, likely to be priced much higher than it merits.

I said it before and I'll say it again WE FAILED CADILLAC. Well I didn't cause I actually went out and bought every iteration of Art and Science since 2005 to 2016. Performance was their focal point and many BITCHED AND COMPLAINED.. Cadillac cars are exceptional performers.. possibly the best in the world. CTS, ATS. CT6... come on.. Even the XTS was a helluva performer.. WE BITCHED. Where are the sales? The sales came tho.. they came in the form of the XT5.. and Cadillac... on the brink at one point, is looking to emulate that success. The vehicle will most likely bring in new conquest buyers.

How much?? I'm betting, considering the XT5 starts at $41K.. this will undercut the GLE by about $6K and start at $48K. the AWD version will come in at about $53K or about the same as the Avenir Enclave. I could be off by about $1000.

We knew what this was. We did. Its a longer version of the XT5.. The Lincoln Aviator is a better vehicle in technical presentation.. but I think that this is the better vehicle for sales. U can not have your cake and eat it too. We saw this with the cars. Lexus and Mercedes prove this with appliance vehicles and some performance on the fringe. Cadillac's EV announcement is going to be their fringe. BlackWing will be their other. I also bring attention to the fact that the MKC, MKX, and MKT sales results don't even beat the singular XT5. The lauded CONTINENTAL has failed to outshine the CT6, despite the fact that the CT6 wasn't even the real competitor to it on Caddy's lot.. that always being the XTS, which certainly has outsold it. We'll see.. but its a strong possibility that GM is actually doing the right thing in its move to be different.

My only real unexpected disappointment with this is that it doesn't at least debut with any WOW ENGINE when Caddy has them on shelf. The 3.6LTT from the XTSVSport should have been optional from the start of the press release. I'm not even thinking the Blackwing.. I saying that the XT6 should have debuted with the base engine and the LF3. That simple. That simple. That simple. Exterior looks are very nice IMO. One of teh best looking in the segment. Far better looking than a GLE or GX.. Damn sure better looking than an MDX. The interior comments are ridiculous. Even if the transplanted the XT5's interior its still a very nice interior to be. Some writers are full of $#!+ . The XT5's interior has been praised many times over.

I expect 60K XT4, 55K XT5, and 45K XT6 sales.. Escalade remaining in the 35K range.

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

Well optioned but not fully loaded XT6 or Denali Acadia?

I'll take the nicer interior, standard V6, better looks, better ride and more room every time. XT6 there for sure. I don't like the Buick aesthetic, but the Enclave needed to be the hauler like the Traverse so no wrong move by GM there.

This will be better than the RX-L, will match up well against the MDX and style wise above the GLE by a small margin.

XC90 stomps the XT6 tho, and I agree with @Cmicasa the Great, that the Aviator being from a lower cachet Lincoln brand needs to be the better technical product to make a splash. Exactly how the CT6 is better than the Continental in terms of a more finished, developed car.

Though I think a Black Label Aviator vs Platinum XT6 will walk away the winner every single damn time. Cadillac could throw in the LF3 even...

Pretty bland and boring, looks sort of like a Hyundai Santa Fe for double the money which isn’t going to excite anyone or stir up buyers.  I would hope they price this in the high $40s, they better have some incentives ready to roll too.

Out of the gate they are less competitive to the X5, GLE, Q7,MDX, Aviator and XC90. How do you launch at the back of a segment, just think of this vehicle come 2025 when it is still on sale in its current form.

• Sad 1

• By Drew Dowdell
      Ford has announced the name of their upcoming Mustang inspired electric crossover.  It will be called the Mustang Mach E.  The official debut happens on November 17th, after which reservations for the car will be opened for customers wishing to make a deposit.  Deposits are $500 to hold your place in line and later, customization of the vehicle will open closer to delivery time.
      We've seen from previews of the Mustang Mach E that it will be a rather swoopy crossover with a coupe like roofline. Current rumors put the estimated range at around 370 miles on the WTLP cycle, but EPA cycle will likely be lower. Ford also recently announced the creation of the FordPass Charging network, a way to take the worry out of range anxiety.  We expect we'll hear even more about FordPass Charging Network at the November 17th presentation.

• By Drew Dowdell

• By Drew Dowdell
      BMW has taken the wraps off the 2020 BMW 2-series Gran Coupe. It will come in two flavors, a 228 hp 228i Drive and a 301hp M235i xDrive.
      The 228i is powered by BMW's "B" modular engine family. It produces 228 horsepower from 5,000 rpm - 6,000 rpm and 258 lb-ft of torque from 1,450 rpm to 4,500 rpm. The M235i increase that to 301 horsepower from 5,000 rpm - 6,250 rpm and 332 lb-ft of torque from 1,750 rpm - 4,500 rpm. The 235's engine gets larger diameter main bearings, new pistons connecting rods, a larger turbocharger, and a larger capacity cooling system. all of that gets you to 60 in 4.7 seconds, a 1.3 second improvement over the 6.0 seconds the base engine gets you.  Power is routed to all wheels via an 8-speed automatic transmission. Top speed for the 228 is an electronically limited 130 mph while the M235 can get to 155 when equipped with performance tires.
      Unlike the 2-series coupe, the Gran Coupe rides on a front-wheel drive platform shared with the X1, X2, and Mini Clubman and Countryman.
      The xDrive system has an ARB (Actuator-Related Wheel Slip Limiter) and can split torque up to 50:50 front:rear.  On the M235i, the xDrive also includes a front limited slip differential.
      The standard Active Driving Assistant includes safety features like Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation Function and Active Blind Spot Detection, and Daytime Pedestrian Protection. Also included is the Lane Departure Warning system with active lane return, which operates from 43 – 150mph. The standard Lane Change Warning system, which prompts the driver to guide the car back onto the correct lane at speeds above 12 mph by means of a visual warning and, if necessary, a steering input. The Active Driving Assistant’s other functions include rear collision preparation and cross traffic warning, which reduces the risk of a collision when reversing into roads or paths obstructed from the driver’s view.
      Production of the 2-series Gran Coupe begins in November.

• Very nice truck, but it ain't all that "custom".  I mean, that's the bone stock STX grille and painted bumper, with a scooped hood and Pep Boys headlights added.
    • Pissed right now... The gage cluster in my Cavalier went on the blink last week, and is completely dead now. Hope I do not need to see how fast I am going, or know how much gas I need...Worse part that burns my behind is that the cluster had a 100% fail rate for all late 2003, 2004, and most 2005 models. Why there is no recall is beyond me. Funny part is that there are no new ones to buy either...GM had most of them trashed..... Surprised me a bit just based on the fact that the car had less than 25k (stored project car 🙂 ). I really want to do it myself, but the plastic is so damn cheap I’m afraid I will break the dash.... I’m sure someone will tell me that it is a 90s piece of trash and to burn it soon....but hey-I always had a soft spot for Cavaliers, for good reason.... 🙂 Thanks for listening to my rant.......
    • Someone was questioning the value on it from a CL ad. AACA consensus was it was worthless in that condition; more people want the I8 and there are a decent supply of better I6s out there. This engine was stuck, and (an earlier version of the) ad stated no specific price, but that 'it's worth thousands so no low-ballers'.   I would be game to get an old inline flathead, disassemble it & clean it all up, then offer it as just that to the antique market (not rebuilt/running, just a complete engine cleaned up, derusted, threads chased, etc). About 20 years ago I looked at a private collection of parts cars, and one was a late 40s Packard. When I looked under the hood, I was besmitten by the I8 flathead under there. Couldn't tell you why.

1. Justin