Drew Dowdell

Detroit 2019: 2020 Cadillac XT6

Cadillac's 3-row crossover finally shows up.

Cadillac released images and information on their all-new 2020 Cadillac XT6 today.  Based on the same chassis as the GMC Acadia, the new XT6 slots between the XT5 and the Escalade in terms of size and price.  Two trims are available, Premium Luxury and Sport.

The XT6 is powered by the familiar 3.6 liter V6 with 310 hp. Active fuel management comes standard and allows the engine to run in 4-cylinder mode when V6 power is not needed.  All-Wheel Drive is available on the Premium Luxury and is standard on Sport. The Sport model's AWD is a more advanced active twin-clutch design.  Sport also comes with Continuous Damping Control (note: Not Magnetic ride control - DD) and a faster steering ratio for more enthusiastic performance.  Power is fed through a 9-speed automatic transmission with Electronic Precision Shift.

Inside the XT6 provides the driver and all passengers with "the best seat in the house". A contemporary interior aesthetic surround occupants with semi-aniline leather seating surfaces, carbon fiber trim on the Sport, and wood on Premium Luxury models.  Additionally available interior features include an in-cabin air ionizer, heated and ventilated front seats, heated second-row seats,  and a standard heated steering wheel. All models come with 6 USB ports for charging devices.

Cadillac's CUE Infotainment system now includes 1-touch pairing with users' phones via near field communication and a new rotary controller with intuitive jog functionality. CUE will now allow drivers to store their profile in the cloud for customization across compatible vehicles.

Additional CUE features include:

• Updated navigation functionality with natural address entry.
    • Capable of supporting SiriusXM 360L.
    • 4G LTE Wi-Fi® hotspot (includes 3GB or three months of data, whichever comes first).
    • Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for compatible smartphones.
    • Next-generation, 15-watt wireless charging.
    • Teen Driver.

The 2020 Cadillac XT6  will be built in Spring Hill TN and will go on sale later this year.

2020 Cadillac XT6 Debut.pdf

Interesting that they went with the short Acadia/Blazer wheelbase on this (according to the Car & Driver article). I guess they are saving the longer Traverse/Enclave wheelbase for a future XT7.   C&D called out the interior materials as being cheap and common.  How does it look in person?

Edited by Robert Hall

Should be roundly panned for being so lazily presented.  Not competitive in the class.  Lincoln shows how it is done in this market space.  Profoundly terrible.  Looks like an old XC90's metrosexual brother who was conceived, miraculously, after being strained through the sheets.

1 minute ago, ocnblu said:

Agreed, highly disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

You're right.  Same wheelbase as Acadia, but 5 inches longer overall.

Acadia:

Exterior Dimensions

Wheelbase : in 112.5

Length, Overall : in 193.6

XT6

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS

Wheelbase: 112.7
    Overall Length: 198.8

• Sad 1

Should be competitive w/ the MDX and RX, though.    Just another AWD/FWD/transverse engine lease appliance gap-filler, nothing aspirational.    The Aviator seems way more compelling.

Edited by Robert Hall

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Should be competitive w/ the MDX and RX, though.

I suppose.  I wanted Cadillac to aim higher like the Aviator. The Aviator is going to play in Land Rover's territory. This will be lucky to compete with MDX.

• Sad 1

The problem is GM won't invest in a proper RWD platform to take on Lincoln and the Europeans....so they cheaped out and put a fresh body and interior on a generic appliance platform... reheated rancid meat w/ new toppings.   Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Edited by Robert Hall
    • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I suppose.  I wanted Cadillac to aim higher like the Aviator. The Aviator is going to play in Land Rover's territory. This will be lucky to compete with Escape or Ecosport.

Fixed that for you.

44 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Trying to say something positive...I do like the brown color and the wheels.   Like the interior colors also.

Lipstick on a pig.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Once again...now that the ST twins are gone...Jeep seems to be the only domestic building things I actually want to own. This does not warm my heart towards Cadillac.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I wish I were 6'6" at times like this, I could say I cannot fit in it and that would be that.  Debuts at the bottom of the class.  Who does that?

Mitsubishi...so Glad that Cadillac is following the maker of the Japaneze Zero on a kamikaze path.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Suddenly even to me Ford almost looks good. New Explorer. ..aviator...Escape is better than comparable GM offerings...they will bring out a revised Ecosport to fix that...new Bronco...wonder how much crow I would have to eat if I actually started being positive about Ford?

But if this is GMs nrw direction...Hyundai Santa Fe looks better than this.

I don’t have much time right now to go full throttle on this like I want to but why does this approach remind of a “Cadillac XL7 “. Practically same dimensions. Pedestrian 3.6 v6. Badge engineered stretched common crossover to plug a showroom hole. Done on the cheap. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/suzuki/xl7/2007/specs/xl7-awd-4dr-luxury-w3rd-row-287331

except they’ll probably sticker it at 70k

The Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator will wipe Cadillacs ass off the floor   I never thought I would go back to Ford products but it’s hilarious to see this train wreck

but we also should not be shocked if this becomes Cadillacs main seller  grandma and grandpa would have bought an XT5 if it had a third row, you know

Edited by regfootball

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

In a one star hotel with meth addicts on the sidewalk outside no less.

3 minutes ago, regfootball said:

except they’ll probably sticker it at 70k

It's worse than that @regfootball I'll explain more when I'm not driving

11 minutes ago, regfootball said:

And oddly, almost the same design profile

2020-Cadillac-XT6-Luxury-016.jpg

Suzuki-XL7-2007-1280-05.jpg

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I kinda agree, and at the same time I like the funky front end....

Wonder if it will grow on us in time?

12 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

I kinda agree, and at the same time I like the funky front end....

Wonder if it will grow on us in time?

Unusual to see a Cadillac w/ horizontal headlights..been a while.

The kick up in the quarter window reminds of where Jeep has been going w/ recent designs like the Renegade and Compass.  I bet the next Grand Cherokee greenhouse will resemble this.

Edited by Robert Hall

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Unusual to see a Cadillac w/ horizontal headlights..been a while.

Except at 70 K for a Grand Cherokee Jeep will do everything short of having the girl at the reception desk perform an unmentionable act for me.  70K for Cadillac and people at the Bar will wonder why I put a junkyard Cadillac front clip on a Traverse.

20 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

I kinda agree, and at the same time I like the funky front end....

Wonder if it will grow on us in time?

In the same way bacteria on a petri dish grow in a alb.

26 minutes ago, William Maley said:

And oddly, almost the same design profile

2020-Cadillac-XT6-Luxury-016.jpg

Suzuki-XL7-2007-1280-05.jpg

Cadillac Grand Vitara....has a better ring to it than XT6.

Upon further reflection...one legacy brand did not die. Look at this...Spring Hill is still building Saturns!

4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

HahaL...true, the Jeep will still have a proper platform I assume... from what I've read, they aren't going w/ the stretched Stelvio platform plan but a revised version of WK2 (as WK3) with short and long wheelbase versions...2021 supposedly.

Edited by Robert Hall

I think it looks better than the XT5, I just didn't mesh with the really stubby proportions of that car.

I tried an experiment where I looked at the photo here that is front head -on 3/4 of it... I covered the light blade with my finger and then I realized... where have I seen this before?

I think this car will sell pretty well, and I think this is what Cadillac purchasers (not customers) ultimately want. This is the XTS replacement. The interior is nice, the outside isn't ugly, and I almost think that Cadillac has realized that their crossover buyers don't cross shop  with the Germans, as Cadilllac doesn't offer anything except the Escalade that can get into really high price ranges and engines bigger than a V6.

I said it before and I'll say it again WE FAILED CADILLAC. Well I didn't cause I actually went out and bought every iteration of Art and Science since 2005 to 2016. Performance was their focal point and many BITCHED AND COMPLAINED.. Cadillac cars are exceptional performers.. possibly the best in the world. CTS, ATS. CT6... come on.. Even the XTS was a helluva performer.. WE BITCHED. Where are the sales? The sales came tho.. they came in the form of the XT5.. and Cadillac... on the brink at one point, is looking to emulate that success. The vehicle will most likely bring in new conquest buyers.

How much?? I'm betting, considering the XT5 starts at $41K.. this will undercut the GLE by about $6K and start at $48K. the AWD version will come in at about $53K or about the same as the Avenir Enclave. I could be off by about $1000.

We knew what this was. We did. Its a longer version of the XT5.. The Lincoln Aviator is a better vehicle in technical presentation.. but I think that this is the better vehicle for sales. U can not have your cake and eat it too. We saw this with the cars. Lexus and Mercedes prove this with appliance vehicles and some performance on the fringe. Cadillac's EV announcement is going to be their fringe. BlackWing will be their other. I also bring attention to the fact that the MKC, MKX, and MKT sales results don't even beat the singular XT5. The lauded CONTINENTAL has failed to outshine the CT6, despite the fact that the CT6 wasn't even the real competitor to it on Caddy's lot.. that always being the XTS, which certainly has outsold it. We'll see.. but its a strong possibility that GM is actually doing the right thing in its move to be different.

My only real unexpected disappointment with this is that it doesn't at least debut with any WOW ENGINE when Caddy has them on shelf. The 3.6LTT from the XTSVSport should have been optional from the start of the press release. I'm not even thinking the Blackwing.. I saying that the XT6 should have debuted with the base engine and the LF3. That simple. That simple. That simple. Exterior looks are very nice IMO. One of teh best looking in the segment. Far better looking than a GLE or GX.. Damn sure better looking than an MDX. The interior comments are ridiculous. Even if the transplanted the XT5's interior its still a very nice interior to be. Some writers are full of $#!+ . The XT5's interior has been praised many times over.

I expect 60K XT4, 55K XT5, and 45K XT6 sales.. Escalade remaining in the 35K range.

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

Well optioned but not fully loaded XT6 or Denali Acadia?

I'll take the nicer interior, standard V6, better looks, better ride and more room every time. XT6 there for sure. I don't like the Buick aesthetic, but the Enclave needed to be the hauler like the Traverse so no wrong move by GM there.

This will be better than the RX-L, will match up well against the MDX and style wise above the GLE by a small margin.

XC90 stomps the XT6 tho, and I agree with @Cmicasa the Great, that the Aviator being from a lower cachet Lincoln brand needs to be the better technical product to make a splash. Exactly how the CT6 is better than the Continental in terms of a more finished, developed car.

Though I think a Black Label Aviator vs Platinum XT6 will walk away the winner every single damn time. Cadillac could throw in the LF3 even...

Pretty bland and boring, looks sort of like a Hyundai Santa Fe for double the money which isn’t going to excite anyone or stir up buyers.  I would hope they price this in the high $40s, they better have some incentives ready to roll too.

Out of the gate they are less competitive to the X5, GLE, Q7,MDX, Aviator and XC90. How do you launch at the back of a segment, just think of this vehicle come 2025 when it is still on sale in its current form.

• Sad 1

• Yeah, not my favorite era of full size Chevy...but a restomodded '71-73 Impala would be more to my taste..
    • Cadillac has announced new details in the brand’s transformation to an electric future and a transformative EV customer experience, including ordering information, pricing and EPA-estimated range for the 2023 LYRIQ RWD. Cadillac also announced a special charging offer, designed to simplify the charging experience for LYRIQ customers. “These are important steps for Cadillac, as we make good on our promise to deliver an EV offering more than 300 miles of range and move toward an all-electric portfolio by 2030,” said Global Cadillac Vice President Rory Harvey. “Cadillac will define the future of luxury transportation through its range of forthcoming EVs, and it all begins with LYRIQ.” Ordering for the 2023 LYRIQ RWD and AWD models will open on May 19, with RWD deliveries expected starting this fall. Deliveries of the 2023 LYRIQ Debut Edition, which was available through reservation only, will begin this summer. The LYRIQ RWD model offers an EPA-estimated 312 miles of range on a full charge1 and has a starting MSRP of $62,9902. The AWD model, which will start at $64,9902, adds a second drive unit, placed at the front of the vehicle to enhance vehicle dynamics and performance even further for drivers. When orders open, customers will now have the option to select from two new exterior colors: Opulent Blue Metallic3 and Crystal White Tricoat3. Initial deliveries of the AWD model are expected to start in early 2023, with EPA-estimated range expected to be announced closer to the start of production. Creating a Seamless Charging Experience All 2023 Cadillac LYRIQ customers will receive the option to choose either two years of unlimited public charging credits at EVgo charging stations or a credit of up to $1,500 toward home charger installation through Qmerit4. Customers who select the home charger installation credit will receive up to $1,500 that can be applied toward an eligible professional installation of a Level 2 (AC) charger or at 240-volt outlet at home through Qmerit, for convenient, quick charging of the LYRIQ’s battery5. For customers looking to install a home charger, Cadillac can help throughout the process. Every Cadillac LYRIQ comes with a portable dual-level cordset charger, which enables customers to charge their vehicles from both 120-volt and 240-volt outlets. Through Cadillac accessories, customers will be able to purchase faster 11.5 kilowatt or 19.2kW wall-mounted charging stations. By installing a 240-volt outlet or wall charger, customers can reduce the time it takes to charge a depleted battery from 3 days to overnight6. For installation assistance, Cadillac is working with Qmerit, a nationwide network to help owners find qualified, experienced Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment installers. “This unique offer will elevate our customers’ experience with the LYRIQ, helping them make a smoother, more transparent transition to all-electric driving,” said Harvey. “Like the LYRIQ itself, the charging experience will set the standard for customers’ EV experiences.”    LYRIQ Drives the Future The all-new LYRIQ elevates an iconic brand, building on a century of Cadillac’s design and technology innovations to usher in a new era in electric luxury vehicles. It is designed with premier technologies and stirring performance capabilities, enabled by the vehicle’s dedicated electric architecture. A 12-module, 100 kWh battery pack delivers a Cadillac-estimated 340 horsepower and 325 lb-ft (440 Nm) of torque in the RWD model, while the AWD model amps up the output, with the addition of a second drive unit that raises capability with an estimated 500 horsepower. The AWD model is further distinguished with performance-oriented driving dynamics with power flowing through all four wheels, along with a 3,500-pound trailering capacity7. The LYRIQ RWD model offers an EPA-estimated range of 312 miles with a full charge1. That range is optimized with the Ultium Platform’s energy recovery system, which can capture and repurpose waste energy from the battery. In addition to optimizing range, the system can also help reduce battery energy needed for heating, increase charging speed and even contribute to the vehicle’s performance driving dynamics.   When it comes to charging, LYRIQ offers at-home Level 2 (AC) charge rates of up to 19.2 kW, which can add up to 52 miles of range per hour of charge8. It also features DC fast charging rates of up to 190 kW, enabling an estimated 76 miles of range in about 10 minutes6 of charging time. Artfully Integrated Technology Cadillac’s user experience9 system and 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED display, artfully integrate the driver information center, navigation and infotainment systems to communicate information to customers in an organic, intuitive way. Additional technologies are designed to immerse the driver and passengers and enhance their journey. Highlights include: AKG Studio 19-speaker audio system, including headrest speakers, is a Cadillac-exclusive feature that employs advanced technologies, including Adaptive Volume and Surround Technology, to create an immersive listening experience Google Built-In10 compatibility offers a helpful and personalized way to enhance the in-vehicle experience, with Google Assistant, Google Maps, and Google Play delivering access to hands-free help, live traffic updates, favorite apps and more Next-generation Active Noise Cancellation helps cancel out undesirable sounds coming from the roadway. This technology, when combined with LYRIQ’s Electric Vehicle Sound Enhancement, which balances and blends the propulsion system’s sounds, creates a luxurious and quiet cabin. The Cadillac LYRIQ is produced at GM’s Spring Hill, Tennessee assembly facility11, which received a $2 billion investment to support electric vehicle production. An additional $2.3 billion is being invested in an all-new battery cell manufacturing plant at Spring Hill, by Ultium Cells LLC, the joint venture between GM and LG Energy Solution.   Interior Images Exterior Images Press Release Source 2023 Cadillac LYRIQ Drives Closer to Delivery (gm.com) View full article
    • My "random" 10,000th post. (some 16 1/2 years later)
    • Spotted two days ago, VW's Passat has come a long way and is now a fairly substantial car ... Spotted yesterday around the Houston Galleria, I also saw another Porsche (Panamera 4 door, maybe) in this exact same new color (a lot of enamel paint jobs on expensive cars lately) some 5 minutes earlier ...

1. jessypaul