• Sign in to follow this  

    Cadillac To Replace Three Sedans With One


    • Cadillac's sedan lineup will be shrinking

    Cadillac's sedan lineup in the future is going to look much smaller. Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen told Reuters in an interview that the ATS, CTS, and XTS will not be directly replaced when their lifecycles end in 2019. A new model called the CT5 will take their place and cost between $35,000 and $45,000.

    "We have to rebalance our sedan portfolio," de Nysschen.

    The CT6 will take care of the top end, while a new small luxury sedan (possibly named CT4) will handle the low end.

    de Nysschen reiterated plans of Cadillac building out their crossover lineup with the XT4 launching in 2019. de Nysschen also mentioned that Cadillac could be launching a range of electric vehicles in the latter half of the next decade.

    Source: Reuters



      Report Article
    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback



    Recommended Comments

    :fryingpan: to de Nysschen. This is common sense and Cadillac should already have EV's planned, more hybrids and the XT4 and 6 should be here at auto shows this fall with roll out next year. He is proving himself to be too little too late as he did at every other auto company he worked at. :hissyfit:

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, dfelt said:

    :fryingpan: to de Nysschen. This is common sense and Cadillac should already have EV's planned, more hybrids and the XT4 and 6 should be here at auto shows this fall with roll out next year. He is proving himself to be too little too late as he did at every other auto company he worked at. :hissyfit:

    We will see how all of this plays out.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    We will see how all of this plays out.

    Yet based on idiot boy, the Germans and Asians will have luxury hybrids and EV's out before Cadillac even shows one. So many have stated to have them out by 2020 and he is saying later half of 2020-2030.

    Me think he blew his wad on moving Cadillac to NY and saying look at me as head of Cadillac rather than building and delivering awesome auto's.

    :nono:

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Sad. And the naming scheme roll-out is embarrassing.

    Cadillac: "We're introducing the CT6 and XT5 to start the new naming system."

    Person: "What about the ATS, CTS, and XTS?"

    Cadillac: "We'll build them till 2019."

    Person: "With the old names?"

    Cadillac: "I don't understand the question."

    Brand development has gone nowhere since the move out of detroit, and the gorgeous design potential from yearly concepts has simply been left on the back burner while the current aging design language (that peaked on the 2014 CTS) has been beaten to death in the CT6 and XT5.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

    In fairness, so did everyone else. 

    Not really, a certain Caddy lover was telling us how awesome the new ATS is going to be lol. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Stew said:

    Not really, a certain Caddy lover was telling us how awesome the new ATS is going to be lol. 

    So what? That still doesn't change the fact that pretty much everyone else knew better. You are not unique in your position here. 

     

    Furthermore, he also stated that the ATS would become the CT4 (which it is) so your  statement isn't even entirely correct in that department either. In other words, saying "called it" really doesn't carry much weight when so many others here also "called it" in one form or another. 

    Edited by surreal1272

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Stew said:

    Not really, a certain Caddy lover was telling us how awesome the new ATS is going to be lol. 

    Who are you referring to? If this is somehow a reference to me, I stated that a new sedan and crossover would be debuting next year with the new design language. I assumed the model would be the ATS replacement and it happens to be an ATS/CTS replacement.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, dfelt said:

    :fryingpan: to de Nysschen. This is common sense and Cadillac should already have EV's planned, more hybrids and the XT4 and 6 should be here at auto shows this fall with roll out next year. He is proving himself to be too little too late as he did at every other auto company he worked at. :hissyfit:

    Audi and Infiniti sales went up after he left.  All he is doing here is gutting their sport sedans to sell some re-worked Equinoxes and Enclaves.

    • Downvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    the so called CT5 better be the CTS as it is sized now.

    Cadillac can only really move mid size and large sedans in the US.  If the Ct5 is smaller than the CTS then Johan has really screwed the pooch.  MURICANS love size.  Cadillac buyers think the current CTS is small.  You can make a CT3 or CT4 if you want, but the CT5 better be current CTS sized.

    Call me crazy but i for one would love to see the current CTS in a wagon form (yes few would buy it but humor me pls)

    It is smart to work out the CT6 bugs and then roll out more versions of it and sell it in greater volume going forward.  It's not going to get much love until a v8 shows up under the hood, unfortunately.

    Who can photoshop photomash a current CT6 and a 1980 Seville humpback rear end for me into an image?  Methinks the Ct6 has the right proportions to pull off the ultimate retro + new mashup into a sick hatchback with classique caddy look....

     

    cadillac_seville_1980_pictures_1.jpg

     

     

    1983-cadillac-seville-base.jpg

     

    I am guessing these delays on getting Cadillac fixed have as much to do with plant scheduling and union contracts / production planning as anything.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I said something the other day in the sedan axing thread, that probably what Cadillac will do is make an Infiniti Q50 size car, someone else said they should go back to the tweener CTS, and it sounds like that is the plan.  They'll probably do a 190 inch long car that splits the size difference between the current ATS and CTS, price the turbo 4 model at like $37,990.  Then the CT6 will be where it sits today.  Sort of what Lincoln has with MKZ and Continental. 

    3 front drive crossovers and the Escalade will round out the line up, and Johan will have wrecked this brand even more than it was in 2012 which seems almost impossible.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    I said something the other day in the sedan axing thread, that probably what Cadillac will do is make an Infiniti Q50 size car, someone else said they should go back to the tweener CTS, and it sounds like that is the plan.  They'll probably do a 190 inch long car that splits the size difference between the current ATS and CTS, price the turbo 4 model at like $37,990.  Then the CT6 will be where it sits today.  Sort of what Lincoln has with MKZ and Continental. 

    3 front drive crossovers and the Escalade will round out the line up, and Johan will have wrecked this brand even more than it was in 2012 which seems almost impossible.

    2017 CTS dims

    196″ L x 72″ W x 57″ H

    i think 190 inches would cut into cabin space a lot.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, regfootball said:

    2017 CTS dims

    196″ L x 72″ W x 57″ H

    i think 190 inches would cut into cabin space a lot.

    But you are replacing the ATS too.  I think they are just going to give up on mid-size, the E-class has that segment sewn up, Lexus might cancel the GS also.  There is still volume at the C-class/3-series segment, A4, Q50 and IS all sell solid numbers.  They want to get into that $35-45k entry lex sedan market, MKZ and Acura TSX are mid-sizers in that price range, Cadillac probably thinks with a mid-sizer are $35k base they can get 2500 units a month.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I'm failing to see the problem here despite the usual naysayers trolling remarks. Basically the CTS becomes the CT5 and the ATS becomes the CT4. That's three different sedans plus a potential CT8 flagship model to go with the additional CUVs planned. This has been in the works for years. At least they are not pulling a Mercedes and putting out an even smaller FWD car (the A Class) to go underneath the already small FWD CLA. It will all be RWD like a luxury car is supposed to be. 

    Edited by surreal1272
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, surreal1272 said:

    I'm failing to see the problem here despite the usual naysayers trolling remarks. Basically the CTS becomes the CT5 and the ATS becomes the CT4. That's three different sedans plus a potential CT8 flagship model to go with the additional CUVs planned. This has been in the works for years. At least they are pulling a Mercedes and putting out an even smaller FWD car (the A Class) to go underneath the already small FWD CLA. It will all be RWD like a luxury car is supposed to be. 

    I wonder if that CT4 will ever even happen, and if it does, it will probably be a Cruze based car as Autoline says the target would be the Audi A3.  The CT5 is going to be priced at back where the 2008 CTS was, I imagine they will size it like an 08 CTS.  There will never be a CT8.  Too costly for too little revenue.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    So the CTS will be gone, Lexus GS is rumored to be gone, and the Infiniti Q70 is well past it's prime and may not be replaced at the end of it's life cycle.  The E-class is cleaning out this segment.

    S7-Dieter-Zetsche-bientot-prolonge-a-la-

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Yay- less choice means the consumer LOSES.

    CTS is getting a next generation and a name inline with the new convention. You'd like to believe it's 'gone' due to the E but it's not going anywhere. If it did, what would the E63 benchmark??

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    Indeed...

    Yep....writing has been on the wall for quite some time now. Working for the auto industry gave me quite some insight on so many things...

    Guess I could repeat what I said on facebook about the same matter....

    It's about time- I fear GM may be late to the party.....again.......

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, balthazar said:

    Yay- less choice means the consumer LOSES.

    CTS is getting a next generation and a name inline with the new convention. You'd like to believe it's 'gone' due to the E but it's not going anywhere. If it did, what would the E63 benchmark??

    The consumer chose SUVs, so unless you have a great sedan, the consumer doesn't seem to want it.  Maybe this is just change in taste, maybe it started in the 90s when American car companies made terrible sedans and people went to Explorers and Grand Cherokees and wrote off American sedans.   The Camry and Accord are still going strong, the weaker sedans are just dropping out of the market.  Olds, Pontiac, Scion, Saturn, Saab, and Suzuki were the weak cars, they went away, Dodge Avenger, Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200 followed.  Now the next round of cuts will be Taurus, Impala, Azera, these Cadillacs, probably Infiniti Q70, Jaguar XJ, etc.  

    The E63 will benchmark what Mercedes always benchmarks, themselves.  No reason to copy the people that are chasing them.  

    CT5 is going to be $35-45k, that is more inline with an A4, but I bet it is a mid-size car, so more like Lincoln MKZ size and price.  Bad idea in the first place to take the CTS which was an entry level car and put it against the 5-series/E-class.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

    So the CTS will be gone, Lexus GS is rumored to be gone, and the Infiniti Q70 is well past it's prime and may not be replaced at the end of it's life cycle.  The E-class is cleaning out this segment.

    S7-Dieter-Zetsche-bientot-prolonge-a-la-

    You think way to highly of the E Class considering that the CTS will still be there, just under a different that has been in the works for a while now. 

     

    And im with Balth. The E63 would be $h! if it didn't have the CTS-V to benchmark. Fact. 

    3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    I wonder if that CT4 will ever even happen, and if it does, it will probably be a Cruze based car as Autoline says the target would be the Audi A3.  The CT5 is going to be priced at back where the 2008 CTS was, I imagine they will size it like an 08 CTS.  There will never be a CT8.  Too costly for too little revenue.

    Do you not read? 

     

    Nevermind. It was rhetorical. 

    4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    Audi and Infiniti sales went up after he left.  All he is doing here is gutting their sport sedans to sell some re-worked Equinoxes and Enclaves.

    Is that better or worse than a rebadged Nissan Frontier? I'm asking for a friend. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • Camry sells a lot, relatively, but it's not a great car from a terrible company and it's off it's 2007 peak by a full 25% (2017 on pace for 352K vs. 473K).
    • E63 had better benchmark the quickest & best handling sport sedan, not the #2 car.
    • A4 is only 4 inches longer than the ATS- the CT5 is not going all the way down to the size of the ATS.
    • CTS was an entry-level car in 2002, not in 2014. I could see it notching down a few thousand & adding content/features. Tho there'd be one plus IF the CT5 was A4-sized, it would mean anything smaller would be pointless- "no one is buying" the A3.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.