Drew Dowdell

Chevy updates the Camaro for 2020

...The styling updates are the most notable...

2020-Chevrolet-CamaroLT1-002.jpgChevrolet has updated the Camaro for 2020 with some new styling updates and packaging changes.  Most notable is the updated front fascia which received much criticism.

The new front end appearance comes for the SS model based on the Camaro Shock show vehicle that debuted at the SEMA show last fall. The Bowtie emblem is now higher on the grille, and the bar between the upper and lower grilles is now body color.

Also new is a new LT1 model that takes the Camaro LT trim and adds the 455 horsepower LT1 engine.  This makes the LT1 trim the most affordable V8 Camaro with a starting price of $34,995 including destination charges.  The LT1 will be offered in both hardtop and convertible configurations.

Other additions to the LT1 are the vented hood from the SS, black bowtie badges, 20-inch SS style wheels, and an available technology package.

Buyers of the V6 will also see a boost as the engine is now mated to the 10-speed automatic from the SS and ZL1.

Chevrolet has struggled with sales of the Camaro in recent years, often coming in third place in sales behind the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger.

The 2020 Camaro with all of these updates will go on sale in Fall 2019.

2020-Chevrolet-CamaroLT1-003.jpg

Source: Chevrolet Media

Must mean a completely new one is in the pipeline since these are just appearance updates (save for the addition of the 10spd to the V6). Chevrolet needs to do something drastic with the Camaro or it might end up back in the grave like in ‘03.

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

It really depends on what happens with the Alpha platform.  I do wish they'd make the Camaro larger inside.  If Alpha can support a car as big as the CTS, they can make the Camaro somewhat bigger.  That the Challenger is outselling it really says something.

The V6 with the 10-speed is probably a really sweet ride.  I drove the V6 + 8-speed convertible and I found it to be plenty fast.  The V8 is good, but very few people would be disappointed with the V6.

Cheaper V8 and 10 speed with the V6 are nice updates.  Styling tweaks don’t fix that this was never very good looking any way or that you can’t see out of it.

Not sure what the difference between the new LT1 trim and SS are, other than badges and the front end.   I like that dark red.

Drove one for a week... I could see out of it just fine. It's actually a very comfortable car to drive once you get into it... it's the getting in and getting out that is an issue. Americans aren't as young as they use to be.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the median buyer age for a Camaro was over 60 either.

I'm seeing via google that it's 52 for the Camaro, and the average buyer age for all cars is now 53.

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, $35,000 cars aren't for 20 somethings like they once were.

Fixed that for you.

I think that 20 somethings would buy them if they could afford them.

8 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, 2 door sports coupes aren't for 20 somethings like they once were.

* new vehicles *

Chevy needed this so bad on this car. It looked like such a freakin mess before.

The small changes made a world of a difference.

I second that. I got a lot of time behind the wheel of them when I worked at a Chevy dealership last year. They are a pain to get in and out of (which is still better than trying to climb in or out of a Vette) but they do sit comfortably and I also had no more of a problem seeing out of one as any number of cars out there.

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if the median buyer age for a Camaro was over 60 either.

Not even close. Those folks tend to go for the Corvette which is baffling given that my 46 year old ass has a hard time with entry and exit. To each their own I guess.

I was under the impression that Alpha is on the way out. What would that leave for the Camaro if it’s gone?

31 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

IThose folks tend to go for the Corvette which is baffling given that my 46 year old ass has a hard time with entry and exit. To each their own I guess.

There were so many older drivers in Arizona w/ Corvettes..such a stereotype...true here in NE Ohio also.   One sight I'll never forget from a few years ago was in Scottsdale...I was sitting at a carwash while my Jeep was going through, see this yellow Corvette C7 Z06 convertible roll up.  A guy that looked to be around 80 opens the door, lifts his walker out of the passenger seat, puts it own the ground then drags himself out of the car into a semi standing position w/ the walker...  I've sat in C7s at car shows, find them hard to get in and out of at 48.

Edited by Robert Hall

26 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

LMAO! I witnessed a few of those folks at Sands Chevrolet. I simply don’t get it but I guess 80 year old men need to get laid too.

Corvette average buyer is fore sure over 60.

Probably inline with the average age of the SLR buyer. I have yet to see any of the top end AMG auto's owned by anything less than seniors.

41 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Heh-heh...I remember the Sands dealers.. my neighborhood one was Courtesy Chevrolet on Camelback--like their cool signs.. was within walking distance from my house in cool weather.  I remember in the winter walking down there and to the Cadillac dealer across the street looking at cars.

Store.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall

Face it: there is no reason anyone under 35 can afford to buy ANY NEW CAR whatsoever.  The median price of a new car is already north of $37K.  That is ridiculous!  Basically all automakers could stand to build a $12K new car just so that Gen Y and Gen Z will actually buy new cars.  Do automakers not realize that a rising median age for a new car buyer means that they are throwing away an entire generation for at least the next decade?!  Or do they only care about the next quarter's P&L statements?

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

What?

They need a Corvette for that?

I thought all they had to do was grab them by the...um...sugar wall?

"You can't fight passion when passion is hot
    Temperatures rise inside my sugar walls

Let me take you somewhere you've never beeeeeen
    I can show you things you've never seeeeeeeeeeeeen
    I can make you never want to faallll in love againnnnnn
    Come spend the night inside my sugar walls

Take advantage, it's alright
    I feeel so alive when I'm with yououou
    Come and feel my presence, it's raining toniightt
    Heaven on earth inside my sugar walls

Let me take you somewhere you've never beeeeeen
    I can show you things you've never seeeeeeeeeeeeen
    I can make you never want to faallll in love againnnnnn
    Come spend the night inside my sugar walls"

THANK-YOU PRINCE!!!!

AND LET US NOT FORGET ABOUT SHEENA!!!

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Store.jpg

Used to work up the road from there for years. These days I avoid that area. Too many idiot drivers and too much construction.

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Yeah, when I left there 2 years ago I was commuting on Camelback to Scottsdale every day...mornings weren’t bad, but the afternoon drive home was awful..45-60 min to go 12 miles.

I would sooo take an LT1 in green with stick if I could swing an older pickup in addition for commuting.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:02 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

sat in challenger when i was getting oil chaged on the van last weekend.  The challenger is a usable car.  People can sit in the back, you can see in and out of the car, and it has a decent trunk.

Plus, the challenger is AWD available, which helps too.

In short, the recipe for fixing the camaro to help SALES, is

make it usable for people

and add AWD on the options list.  at least for the v6.

19 hours ago, riviera74 said:

there are cars available under 20 grand new.  The Cruze was one of them.  But to get further into your point, no one that age will have cash on hand to buy so it comes down to financing.  And if credit arms could make auto loans and believe that the buyers would reliably pay them back, then you would have more available credit.  I had a young coworker a few years ago that ended up buying a new Nissan Versa as his first car rather than a used car.  Nissan had a good first time buyer credit program and the Versa was the right car.  And the guy probably saved a lot of money with a new car under warranty and cheap gas compared to buying a used car he's have to stick a few grand into right away.  Point is, he had a job (he was making 13 bucks an hour) and was still able to make that 230-250 payment.  There does need to be more cars you can get into for that 300 bucks or so a month and so manufacturers do need to get more cars like that to market.  But that i think is where Hyundai / Kia is successful.  At the end of the day, the banks won't give credit to high risk buyers.  So a young buyer has to learn to figure out how to get credit and not ruin it.  It's called adulting.

THere are still quite a few cheap cars available on the market.  Also, lots of 2-3 year old CPO's.  Current body style Cruzes are selling DIRT CHEAP as Cpo's on the market right now.  those would be good cars for that 250-300 a month first  time buyer.  People rip the Cruze but the latest Cruze is a DAMN NICE CAR for anyone looking for a small cheap car, especially a first time buyer.  If you grew up with Chevettes you will understand how nice the Cruzes are by comparison.

Civics, Fits, Sentras, Versas are other phenomenal choices for young buyers.

Automakers are shy about leasing to young buyers because they are afraid they will trash the cars.

Edited by regfootball

I love the idea of this new LT1 model. I've been saying forever they need to do this. This car with a manual would be an awesome fun daily.

• By Drew Dowdell
      QUARTER 4 (CALENDAR YEAR-TO-DATE) JANUARY - DECEMBER   2019 2018 %Change Volume   2019 2018 %Change Volume   Cascada 77 743 -89.6   2,535 4,136 -38.7   Enclave 10,143 14,420 -29.7   51,156 49,647 3.0   Encore 28,497 23,326 22.2   102,402 93,073 10.0   Envision 8,380 7,535 11.2   33,229 30,152 10.2   LaCrosse 463 2,118 -78.1   7,241 15,527 -53.4   Regal 1,514 3,110 -51.3   10,363 14,118 -26.6   Buick Total 49,074 51,257 -4.3   206,929 206,863 0.0   ATS 83 831 -90.0   1,134 10,859 -89.6   CT5 43 0 ***.*   43 0 ***.*   CT6 2,276 2,398 -5.1   7,951 9,668 -17.8   CTS 966 2,442 -60.4   6,965 11,219 -37.9   Escalade 8,889 9,573 -7.1   35,424 36,872 -3.9   XT4 8,895 7,573 17.5   31,987 7,785 310.9   XT5 11,168 13,582 -17.8   49,879 60,565 -17.6   XT6 7,169 0 ***.*   11,559 0 ***.*   XTS 1,062 5,063 -79.0   11,304 17,727 -36.2   Cadillac Total 40,551 41,462 -2.2   156,246 154,702 1.0   Blazer 23,008 27 ***.*   58,115 27 ***.*   Bolt EV 3,307 6,212 -46.8   16,418 18,019 -8.9   Camaro 11,474 11,135 3.0   48,265 50,963 -5.3   Colorado 25,484 30,004 -15.1   122,304 134,842 -9.3   Corvette 3,491 3,910 -10.7   17,988 18,791 -4.3   Cruze 2,699 32,955 -91.8   47,975 142,617 -66.4   Equinox 92,092 98,239 -6.3   346,048 332,618 4.0   Express 16,652 22,543 -26.1   77,457 81,239 -4.7   Impala 9,545 12,604 -24.3   44,978 56,556 -20.5   LCF 1,273 940 35.4   4,495 2,810 60.0   Malibu 34,314 37,084 -7.5   131,917 144,542 -8.7   Silverado HD 36,704 34,222 7.3   131,953 142,632 -7.5   Silverado LD 124,619 126,950 -1.8   438,686 442,943 -1.0   Silverado MD 2,018 6 ***.*   4,961 6 ***.*   Sonic 3,339 2,765 20.8   13,971 20,613 -32.2   Spark 11,016 5,174 112.9   31,281 23,602 32.5   Suburban 10,242 15,200 -32.6   51,928 60,633 -14.4   Tahoe 21,086 24,679 -14.6   101,189 104,153 -2.8   Traverse 33,631 39,536 -14.9   147,122 146,534 0.4   Trax 33,039 22,378 47.6   116,816 89,916 29.9   Volt 370 5,063 -92.7   4,910 18,306 -73.2   Chevrolet Total 499,404 531,985 -6.1   1,958,925 2,036,023 -3.8   Acadia 19,471 25,128 -22.5   99,429 88,621 12.2   Canyon 6,525 8,219 -20.6   32,825 33,492 -2.0   Savana 3,136 2,905 8.0   24,226 19,684 23.1   Sierra HD 18,228 16,550 10.1   59,871 60,389 -0.9   Sierra LD 50,494 50,762 -0.5   172,452 159,165 8.3   Terrain 28,060 31,595 -11.2   101,470 114,314 -11.2   Yukon 20,966 25,366 -17.3   74,673 80,784 -7.6   GMC Total 146,880 160,525 -8.5   564,946 556,449 1.5   GM Vehicle Total* 735,909 785,229 -6.3   2,887,046 2,954,037 -2.3                     78 selling days for the QUARTER 4 this year and 77 for same QUARTER last year.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Volkswagen is working both ends of the SUV size spectrum lately.  Their Atlas model has become an excellent seller, moving 74,108 copies as of November 2019. That an increase of 40% over the prior year to date figures.  Though it's first model year was 2018, Volkswagen feels that it is nearly time for a refresh for 2021. The update will be mostly visual with new head and tail lights, new front and rear bumpers, and a revised grille. Volkswagen says it will also have updated and new driver-assistance features on top of the suits of technology the Atlas already sports.  The changes will bring the full-size Atlas more into visual alignment with the new Atlas Cross Sport  just hitting the market now.
      Also coming will be a new crossover slotted below the Tiguan that will compete more directly with the Jeep Compass, Nissan Rogue Sport, and others in that class. While details are scarce, we do know what it won't be, it won't be the European T-Roc currently on sale overseas.  The new model will be designed specifically for North America and built in Mexico.  It should launch in the U.S. sometime in the Summer of 2021.
      For those of you lamenting the demise of the sedan, Volkswagen did manage to take a shot at the U.S. manufacturers by saying, "While some brands have walked away from car sales, we are focused on making smart decisions in this segment which is still a big part of the market."

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      At an event in Detroit this evening, Chevrolet took the wraps off the Tahoe and Suburban SUVs. We don't have specs yet to publish, but wanted to get the pictures out for you to see.  I will be updating the article as more details come out.
      Six different trims will be offered including the new High Country trim, an RST trim, and Z71 becomes its own trim line instead of being offered as a separate package. LS, LT, and Premier trims carry on. Engines are the 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8s, but the 3.0L Duramax will also be joining the lineup. The 5.3 and 6.2 now sport dynamic fuel management. All engines send power to the wheels through a 10-speed automatic. The Duramax is available on every trim except Z71.
      The power ratings are:
      5.3-Liter - 355 Horsepower at 5600 RPM / 383 lb-Ft of torque at 4100 RPM 6.2-Liter - 420 Horsepower at 5600 RPM / 460 lb-ft of torque at 4100 RPM 3.0-Liter Duramax - 277 Horsepower at 3750 RPM / 460 lb-ft of torque at 1500 RPM The column shifter is gone, replaced with a new pushbutton design placed on the dash.  Thanks to a fully independent rear suspension, they both gain room inside. Magnetic Ride Control and an Air Ride Adaptive Suspension (available on Z71 and High Country) are available. The Air Ride suspension offers adjustable height of up to 4-inches at all four corners .
      The dash sports a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment center standard. Buyers can opt for a rear seat entertainment system with twin 12.6-inch displays. Interior room is up; Tahoe sports 40 percent more third-row leg room and 66 percent more cargo volume behind the third row. While maximum cargo room is up 30 percent, the overall length increased only 4 percent. This is done on a wheelbase that is 4.9 inches longer than the 2020 model.  Suburban gets a 4.1 inch increase in wheelbase so that interior cargo volume increases 19 percent while overall length increases 1.3 inches.
      INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
        TAHOE SUBURBAN Headroom
      (in / mm): 42.3 / 1074 (first row)
      38.9 / 988 (second row)
      EPA Passenger Volume
      (cu ft / L):
      168.4 / 4768
      170.4 / 4826
      Cargo Volume^
      (cu ft / L):
      122.9 / 3479 (behind first row)
      72.7 / 2058 (behind second row)
      25.5 / 722 (behind third row)
      144.7 / 4097 (behind first row)
      92.9 / 2632 (behind second row)
      41.1 / 1164 (behind third row)

• By Drew Dowdell
      The power ratings are:
      INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
        TAHOE SUBURBAN Headroom
      (in / mm): 42.3 / 1074 (first row)
      38.9 / 988 (second row)
      EPA Passenger Volume
      (cu ft / L):
      168.4 / 4768
      170.4 / 4826
      Cargo Volume^
      (cu ft / L):
      122.9 / 3479 (behind first row)
      72.7 / 2058 (behind second row)
      25.5 / 722 (behind third row)
      144.7 / 4097 (behind first row)
      92.9 / 2632 (behind second row)
      41.1 / 1164 (behind third row)

• I don't see Ford offering free gas, so I don't know why people expect Tesla to offer free electricity.
    • Quebec lost ground in EV infrastructure to British Columbia, California and Washington. Due to the PQ (Parti Quebecois) Government  that was elected as a minority government in 2012.   The PQ cut all subsidies and EV investments in infrastructure  and distanced themselves with the idea of a better economy with EVs. But in 2014...there was another election and the Liberals won and the government invested its energy (*pun intended) back  in informing the citizens that EVs might be good for the Quebec people.  But...not enough monies were invested for the infrastructure.  Subsidies for EV purchases only.   A new government was elected in 2018 (the CAQ...50% separatist values  (kinda like the PQ party, but less radical),  25 % liberal values and 25%conservative values... but these guys actually do listen to the voice of the people...the pur sang Quebec people...the true blue Frenchies...and maybe not the English voices LOL) but where the Liberals left off with EVs, the CAQ goes even further.  They actually inform the people of Quebec on how EVs benefit our economy. Monies are given to local businesses, homes, to establish an infrastructure.   The CAQ government is working with Hydro-Quebec to not raise its prices, to give discounts to those who actually charge their EVs at home...to also encourage people to not be wasteful of electricity and so forth.  Subsidies for the purchase of EVs has also been prolonged, and the rebates increased all for the purpose to get more EVs on Quebec roads.  For green purposes but for Quebec's economy also.  The people of Quebec are starting to see the benefits of EV ownership versus ICE on multiple levels....  We have discussed these benefits ad nauseam @ Cheersandgears...no need for me to revisit this. The Model 3 is everywhere in Montreal.  The Model S too.  The Model X not so much... But...the Kia Kona EV is also a very popular EV in Montreal.   Tons of hybrids. From the Fusion Hybrid to the Chevy Volt to the different Toyotas that have the Toyota Hybrid Drive.  The Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Bolt were once dominant in Montreal, but since the Model 3 has arrived and now wait times are no longer an issue for the Model 3, the Leaf and Bolt are not as popular. The Model 3 is just steamrolling along.  The Federal government is offering up to 5000 and the Quebec government is offering another 8000.   That figure was for EVs costing less than 75 000. But now, as of April 1st 2020,  that 8000 max is for EVs costing less than 60 000 MSRP.   A Model 3, with an MSRP of less than 60 000 (which was the standard price) could be potentially had for 47 000...   And now...I think the standard price for the Model 3 in Canada IS 47 000... Well...we know that Elon likes to overcharge for some stuff...OK...but with rebates like in Quebec and in Canada...the Quebec rebate pays for the AWD and the Canada rebate pays for the mundane shyte that Elon charges for but other OEMs gives us for free...(yeah...its not as if GM or Ford or Honda dont force you into higher trim packages for the mundane shyte you want but are stuck in upgrading trim packages just to get that mundae shyte but now are forced to have other mundane shyte you really dont care for...)  https://vehiculeselectriques.gouv.qc.ca/english/rabais/ve-neuf/programme-rabais-vehicule-neuf.asp
    • I totally agree with you and the west coast is very much the same as your area of Canada with state, county, city govs in sync with residents on EV's / Hybrids. Most want full size truck/SUV BEVs. As such, I think once these come to market we will see a dramatic move to EV's at least here on the west coast. I still think the Governments drive to have a cleaner climate is what will drive the change from ICE to EV. China especially will drive this.

1. dukenj