Jump to content
  • William Maley
    William Maley

    Mark Reuss Takes On Role of President of GM

      Succeeds Dan Ammann who will be heading up Cruise Automation


    Aside from announcing fourth-quarter sales numbers, General Motors had another big announcement today. GM's Product chief Mark Reuss will succeed Dan Ammann as the company's president. The appointment is effective immediately according to the company. 

    “I am very proud to have spent my entire career at General Motors, and to now take on this new role is truly a great honor. With our current lineup of outstanding cars, trucks, and crossovers around the world, I’m looking forward to keeping our momentum going at full speed,” said Reuss in a statement.

    In November, GM announced Ammann would step down as GM President to take charge of GM's Cruise Automation unit.

    Reuss will still be overseeing GM's Global Product Group and Cadillac, but will also add the responsibility for GM's quality organization. He will also be tasked with building out a product development team that will focus on autonomous and electrified vehicles.

    Source: General Motors


    Mark Reuss Named General Motors President

    DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today announced the appointment of Mark Reuss as company president, effective immediately. Reuss currently leads the Global Product Group and Cadillac and will now assume responsibility for the Quality organization.

    “Mark’s global operational experience, deep product knowledge and strong leadership will serve us well as we continue to strengthen our current business, take advantage of growth opportunities and further define the future of personal mobility,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra. “Mark has played a critical role in leading the development of the company’s award-winning vehicles while transitioning his team to prepare for growing electrification and autonomous technologies.”

    According to Reuss, “I am very proud to have spent my entire career at General Motors, and to now take on this new role is truly a great honor. With our current lineup of outstanding cars, trucks and crossovers around the world, I’m looking forward to keeping our momentum going at full speed.”

    Reuss added responsibilities for Cadillac and global portfolio planning in June 2018. Since then, he has been building an integrated product development and Cadillac organization to support an accelerated product and technology launch cadence and the brand’s global growth plans. Cadillac will be introducing a new vehicle every six months through 2021.

    Reuss has also been leading the transformation of the company’s global product development workforce and processes to drive world-class levels of engineering in advanced technologies and improve quality and speed to market. He is doubling the resources allocated to electric and autonomous vehicle programs in the next two years.

    • Upvote 1


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    To be able to keep Cadillac on a quality focus growth I think this guy is spreading himself a bit too thin.

    • Upvote 3

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    14 minutes ago, thedriver said:

    this would be great news if gm still sold cars, especially performance ones...

    Camaro? V-series? Corvette?

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    i love how GM is taking the profits and not putting them back into products to serve the market now, they are throwing the money for stuff people want to buy out the window at automation and electrification.  

    • Like 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Exactly.  Why should I help GM ruin what I like about them... by buying something from them?  I feel like I've been duped, and I do not like that atall.  They think they have us by the balls.  Ram makes a sweet truck.  Jeep makes a great CUV/SUV.  Screw GM with their electric/autonomous BS.

    • Like 1
    • Upvote 2
    • Downvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    17 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

    Exactly.  Why should I help GM ruin what I like about them... by buying something from them?  I feel like I've been duped, and I do not like that atall.  They think they have us by the balls.  Ram makes a sweet truck.  Jeep makes a great CUV/SUV.  Screw GM with their electric/autonomous BS.

    I really love Jeep. Were I to be buying an SUV...Jeep it would be.

    Explorer and Escape are decent products also in their segment.

    38 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

    Save the CT6, even if the flagship is nowadays the Escalade.  The FWD sedans can safely die.  We need the CT6 badly.

    We really do.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The Edge is pretty good too.   

    Disclaimer: By me saying that the Edge is pretty good and agreeing that Explorer and Escape are good in no way does it mean I like CUVs and SUVs.   

    I havent been inside GM's latest CUVs and SUVs or driven them for me to form an opinion on them, but I can say that if I was into CUVs and SUVs, I would without a shadow of a doubt trust Ford's CUvs and SUVs.  

    Back to GM.

    I really like Mark Ruess.  Something about Dan Amman I did not like.  I do not know what it is about Dan that I did not like. Probably his lack of vision on the marketing of his brands and vehicles.  I hope Mark does a better job at that. 

    Mark is a true car guy.  It may pain @ocnblu, but maybe the electric future GM is betting on, Mark could put some car guy DNA into them. Make them more Tesla in terms of sporty ride and acceleration (on certain EV models), rather than bland Prius...maybe he could better differentiate which EVs need to be more Tesla-like and which ones need to be more Prius-like and execute them properly. 

    Hopefully, he would not be spreading himself too thin as GM needs to have Cadillac running at a superior pace in terms of quality and vision, and the whole EV thing. Well, GM is literally betting the farm on them, so the EVs HAVE to be nothing but the best!  

     

     

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    There is no natural personality in an electric motor.  Any uniqueness will need to be added artificially.  It will be no more exciting than a generic Power Wheels chassis with a silhouette body hung on it of any number of styles.  Gag.Me.With.A.Spoon.  No way in hell, Paco.

    • Haha 3

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

    There is no natural personality in an electric motor.  Any uniqueness will need to be added artificially.  It will be no more exciting than a generic Power Wheels chassis with a silhouette body hung on it of any number of styles.  Gag.Me.With.A.Spoon.  No way in hell, Paco.

    It's a crying shame you don't have children. Someone five hundred years in the future could get a kick out of watching your descendants whine and moan about how electric wheeled cars are being replaced with fission powered Jetsonesque flying cars.

    And my electric powered stationary tools in my workshop would like a word with you about nothing electric powered having personality.

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    It's a crying shame you don't have children. Someone five hundred years in the future could get a kick out of watching your descendants whine and moan about how electric wheeled cars are being replaced with fission powered Jetsonesque flying cars.

    And my electric powered stationary tools in my workshop would like a word with you about nothing electric powered having personality.

    You are so true, it is amazing the personality even between my electric drills that I have.

    Electric has just as much personality as ICE. We just have to have open minds, eyes, ears to see the differences.

    Funny thing is over the holidays was doing some home repair and I have two identical 18v cordeless drills and one tends to have a grunt noise to it where the other is much higher pitched whir noise. Both have never failed me and yet while they look identical and both do their job, they clearly have their own personality of noises. lol

    • Haha 1
    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 hours ago, ocnblu said:

    Exactly.  Why should I help GM ruin what I like about them... by buying something from them?  I feel like I've been duped, and I do not like that atall.  They think they have us by the balls.  Ram makes a sweet truck.  Jeep makes a great CUV/SUV.  Screw GM with their electric/autonomous BS.

    why can't they do both.  take risk and invest for the innovation.  don't skim the R&D money off the successful products and not put it back into the big sellers.

    what is GM's payoff for dumping all this money of R&D into autonomous and electric?  are they just doing this out of the kindness of their heart or did the government hold them ransom to do this?  Or is it for PR reasons?

    Infuriates me that all this money going into electrics and autonomous and no one can say when in the future i can stop anywhere on the highways, plug in my car for 3 minutes, and fully charge to 300 mile range (that doesn't die in cold weather).  Until that day is known, GM still has to put full effort into their ICE cars and make them competitive.  Just now we'll get chevy blazer for example.  where ford edge and murano have been around forever.

    Edited by regfootball
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

    Its one thing to humanize a dog. At least its living and breathing. Its another to humanize an object. 

    If you really want personality in your transportation medium,  horses are the way to go.  Im not trying to be funny,  just pointing out that an inanimate object have no personalities...

    1. I am against 'humanizing' animals. I like 'em, there's a couple living here, but they're not 'children' and they're not 'human'.  And in case anyone was wondering, I also hate 'talking dog' commercials.
    2. Inanimate objects sometimes DO have personalities.  Frankly, I get more enjoyment out of a choice inanimate object than I do out of an animal.  And the inanimate object doesn't even have to make noise/run for it's personality to shine out.  I thought you guys were car people? ;)
     

    • Thanks 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, regfootball said:

    no one can say when in the future i can stop anywhere on the highways, plug in my car for 3 minutes, and fully charge to 300 mile range (that doesn't die in cold weather).  

    I am not aware of any ICE auto that can refill in 3 minutes with 300 miles of range. XFC does bring 400 miles of range in 15 min and that should go down over the next few years as solid state batteries with capacitor storage is added to EVs. The charging infrastructure is extensive and growing daily. It is just a matter of time, much as it was with ICE auto's in the early 1900's when you had to think about where a gas station was to make sure you had enough fuel for trips, now at least even if there is no XFC or level 4 charger, there are usually Level 3 DC or level 2 charges to be found and always Level 1 or 110 V chargers so an EV can get power always in the 21st century.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, dfelt said:

    ..much as it was with ICE auto's in the early 1900's when you had to think about where a gas station was to make sure you had enough fuel for trips...

    Dave- you keep trotting this out as if it were unequivocal. 1. Early 1900s autos were not taken on long trips- there was zero highways and very very few paved roads; you actually couldn't get very far if you wanted to. They were only used for occasional local drives; they were not depended on as transportation by & large. 2. You discount the then-plentiful farms having various fuels on hand, and early cars were simplistic enough to run on a variety of fuels. There was no range anxiety back then.

    Still, a number of determined motorists completed cross-country trips in the very early years:
    https://www.wired.com/2016/05/tale-epic-coast-coast-road-trip-1903/

    Edited by balthazar
    • Thanks 1
    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Call me greedy, but i want it all. Good gas powered drivers, and my EV tech too,

    If GM doesn’t, sure I will find someone who does....

    • Like 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 hours ago, dfelt said:

    I am not aware of any ICE auto that can refill in 3 minutes with 300 miles of range. XFC does bring 400 miles of range in 15 min and that should go down over the next few years as solid state batteries with capacitor storage is added to EVs. The charging infrastructure is extensive and growing daily. It is just a matter of time, much as it was with ICE auto's in the early 1900's when you had to think about where a gas station was to make sure you had enough fuel for trips, now at least even if there is no XFC or level 4 charger, there are usually Level 3 DC or level 2 charges to be found and always Level 1 or 110 V chargers so an EV can get power always in the 21st century.

    So if it takes 15 years or 25 years to get to that point why divert all the resources to the stuff that won’t sell for 15-25 years. Let that development support itself. Gm still has to build and develop competitive ICE  lines of cars and trucks that are among the best offerings out there until that time, and they need those R&D resources to do that. You cannot lose your market share by not reinvesting In What people want to buy now. 

    Edited by regfootball

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    23 hours ago, balthazar said:

    1. I am against 'humanizing' animals. I like 'em, there's a couple living here, but they're not 'children' and they're not 'human'.  And in case anyone was wondering, I also hate 'talking dog' commercials.

    You and me both!  I especially HATE IT!!! 🤬 when people dress up their dogs....

    23 hours ago, balthazar said:

    2. Inanimate objects sometimes DO have personalities.  Frankly, I get more enjoyment out of a choice inanimate object than I do out of an animal.  And the inanimate object doesn't even have to make noise/run for it's personality to shine out.

     I understand FULLY!!!  @dfelt  mentioned his drills...

    I too, have my favorite tools.

    A Black and Decker Fire Storm cordless drill, that I absolutely refuse to give up.  I love it!!! But Im also on my 3rd Ni-Ca battery on it that I bought for it. 50 bucks. I could buy a brand new Lithion battery powered Ryobi or Makita or whatever...but that Black and Decker, its been with me since 1994. We've been through a lot.  I bought it for my dad.XMAS gift. He used it a lot. I used it a lot. As long as I could always buy a Ni-Ca battery for it, I will never let it go. 

    Plus...with my cars that Ive owned. There is ALWAYS a sad moment when I replace them with something new. I aint happy for a new car. Im saddened that Im departing with the old one. I actually cried when I traded in my Olds Alero for the Impala I bought. 

    23 hours ago, balthazar said:

    I thought you guys were car people? ;)

    I just confessed to crying over my Olds Alero when I gave it up for another car.  I think that qualifies. 

    But, let us be real here. Anthropomorphism is what is happening here.  Inanimate objects do not have personalities. We as humans, assign personalities to them. 

    But...animals actually DO have personalities for real...

     

    Edited by oldshurst442
    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I’ve been known to put sweaters on dogs when it’s really cold... and I definitely let them on the furniture. 

    As far as getting sads when selling an old car, I did kind of miss my old Jeep when I traded March 31, 2017.   But I’d had it almost 17 years and 170k miles...it was at the point where I didn’t trust it anymore and it would needed expensive repairs. Pic below taken the day I traded it. 

    74EFA529-8FE4-4DA7-95B4-D711A2D73609.jpeg

    6C6E94A7-260F-4725-B3A1-DBB6DBCC5372.jpeg

    888F9565-ED95-4663-8FCB-59EE74CCA6F9.jpeg

    • Like 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    I’ve been known to put sweaters on dogs when it’s really cold... and I definitely let them on the furniture. 

    As far as getting sads when selling an old car, I did kind of miss my old Jeep when I traded March 31, 2017.   But I’d had it almost 17 years and 170k miles...it was at the point where I didn’t trust it anymore and it would needed expensive repairs. Pic below taken the day I traded it. 

    74EFA529-8FE4-4DA7-95B4-D711A2D73609.jpeg

    6C6E94A7-260F-4725-B3A1-DBB6DBCC5372.jpeg

    888F9565-ED95-4663-8FCB-59EE74CCA6F9.jpeg

    Foot in mouth....regarding hating when people put clothes on dogs.  LOL  

    But that little fella, yeah, poor guy. He probably gets just as cold as we do in freezing cold weather... I guess I could be more sensitive...LOL

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 1/4/2019 at 6:27 PM, balthazar said:

    Dave- you keep trotting this out as if it were unequivocal. 1. Early 1900s autos were not taken on long trips- there was zero highways and very very few paved roads; you actually couldn't get very far if you wanted to. They were only used for occasional local drives; they were not depended on as transportation by & large. 2. You discount the then-plentiful farms having various fuels on hand, and early cars were simplistic enough to run on a variety of fuels. There was no range anxiety back then.

    Still, a number of determined motorists completed cross-country trips in the very early years:
    https://www.wired.com/2016/05/tale-epic-coast-coast-road-trip-1903/

    I will have to agree to disagree, we have history but nothing other than a few stories of coast to coast trips and there people like EV drivers of today probably planned to be in places where there were no fuels and farms DID NOT have storage systems of various fuels like today as you point out there were not really any transportation systems. 

    So yes I do believe there were drivers who wanted the new ICE technology to replace their horses but also had range anxiety till better roads were built and gas stations were built.

    Today we have a far superior infrastructure of ability to even slow charge EVs and I believe the switch to EVs will happen much faster than it was to ICE.

    • Haha 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Farms were the norm, and they often had tractors before automobiles, plus kerosene for heaters, etc. 'Storage systems' = fuel can. My point was the average household both was more likely to have fuel to offer, as well as more likely willing to offer it. But 99% of the early cars were used for local pleasure trips. People very very seldom 'commuted'- they either worked on their/a local farm/ lived in town/ rode horses long distances/ took a train. Many many Model Ts were put to work as a farm vehicle as opposed to transportation.

    I am seeing different numbers but I'll go with the most common- a Model T had a 10 gal tank and got about 15 MPG (I see estimated from 13-21, but remember; this is at very low speeds), so that 150 mile range is still better than 75% of todays' BEV's range (fiat 500e : 84 miles).

    • Thanks 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 1/4/2019 at 7:12 PM, dfelt said:

    I am not aware of any ICE auto that can refill in 3 minutes with 300 miles of range.

    Any compact car?  Just the fillup process itself of 10-11 gallons doesn't take more than 3 minutes. It probably takes as long to put the card in, type in zip code or PIN and tell it I don't want a car wash as it does to put the gas itself in. 

    I'll be getting gas in the next couple of days. Hopefully I can remember to time it. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I keep seeing this argument over trying to force an EV into a ICE use pattern.  That is faulty thinking. To successfully switch to EVs, one must change the way one thinks about fueling.  With the exception of free Supercharging, "filling up" while out on the go is much more expensive than "Filling up" at home. 

    With an EV with the range of the Bolt or any Tesla, there should nearly never be "filling up" while out and about.  Plug it in at home and start every morning with a full tank. 

    If you don't have a place to plug in at home, then an EV is not for you. Buy an ICE or Hybrid.

    If you regularly drive more than 250 miles in a day, then an EV is not for you. Buy and ICE or Hybrid.

    If 90% of your driving is less than 100 miles one way and you have a place to plug in at home, then an EV might work for you.

    EVs make excellent second cars in a multi-car family. Something used for daily commuting that uses no gasoline while the gasoline powered family truckster gets used for road trip duties. 

    They make an excellent first car for someone who doesn't do road trips.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 hours ago, balthazar said:

    Farms were the norm, and they often had tractors before automobiles, plus kerosene for heaters, etc. 'Storage systems' = fuel can. My point was the average household both was more likely to have fuel to offer, as well as more likely willing to offer it. But 99% of the early cars were used for local pleasure trips. People very very seldom 'commuted'- they either worked on their/a local farm/ lived in town/ rode horses long distances/ took a train. Many many Model Ts were put to work as a farm vehicle as opposed to transportation.

    I am seeing different numbers but I'll go with the most common- a Model T had a 10 gal tank and got about 15 MPG (I see estimated from 13-21, but remember; this is at very low speeds), so that 150 mile range is still better than 75% of todays' BEV's range (fiat 500e : 84 miles).

    Why would you even bother with compliance cars that only get sold in California?  They are the equivalent of putting a small gas engine in a horse carriage... so compare it to the Curved Dash, not the Model-T. 

    Look at the real EVs that were purpose-built. The Model S, Model 3, Chevy Bolt were all purpose-built to be EVs, just like the Model-T was purpose-built to be an automobile rather than a horseless carriage. 

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    There is no reason we can't have a mix of ICE and EVs and Hybrids.

    Until the day when they ban fossil fuel powered cars, well sales of new ones anyway.

    EV will eventually put ICE engines out of business.  Just like the car replaced the horse, natural gas and clean energy replaced coal, streaming music replaced CD's which replaced  tapes, which replaced records, etc.  

    We can have a mix now, but I feel like come 2030 the gas car will be pointless.

    • Like 1
    • Upvote 1
    • Downvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    Until the day when they ban fossil fuel powered cars, well sales of new ones anyway.

     

    Make me think of the Motor Law and outlaws driving red Barchettas...

     

     

    Edited by Robert Hall
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    57 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    Why would you even bother with compliance cars that only get sold in California?  They are the equivalent of putting a small gas engine in a horse carriage... so compare it to the Curved Dash, not the Model-T. 

    Look at the real EVs that were purpose-built. The Model S, Model 3, Chevy Bolt were all purpose-built to be EVs, just like the Model-T was purpose-built to be an automobile rather than a horseless carriage. 

    That's why I said '75% of the BEVs available today'; it's representative of the state of the segment currently (rather than the optimum). But I get your point regarding the better ones.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The Tesla Model 3 sold more units in December than the Cadillac ATS and CTS combined sold in all of 2018.  I think the electric car is very viable.  

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    The Tesla Model 3 sold more units in December than the Cadillac ATS and CTS combined sold in all of 2018.  I think the electric car is very viable.  

    When are you getting one, or did you already spring for one?  PICS PLEASE.

    That's funny that every single YouTuber that has bought a Tesla has had problems.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    37 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

    When are you getting one, or did you already spring for one?  PICS PLEASE.

    That's funny that every single YouTuber that has bought a Tesla has had problems.

    Tesla is out of my price range, plus I would rather save up for a Mercedes electric car that will not have big panel gaps or problems.  But regardless of Tesla build quality they are the hottest product out there.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 1/5/2019 at 3:58 PM, ocnblu said:

    Certain breeds really need them.  One should always wrap his wiener, for example.

    German wieners run hot, minimal if any wrapping is required! :P 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, dfelt said:

    German wieners run hot, minimal if any wrapping is required! :P 

    I could go for a currywurst w/ a side of spaetzle, and a pint of Warsteiner.  Going to have to go to Hofbrauhaus downtown soon. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    I could go for a currywurst w/ a side of spaetzle, and a pint of Warsteiner.  Going to have to go to Hofbrauhaus downtown soon. 

    The Olive Garden of German food...

    • Haha 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    The Olive Garden of German food...

    Heh-heh..I like them...got a good local place even closer, though...Das Schnitzel Haus in Parma. 

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 1/7/2019 at 10:21 AM, ccap41 said:

    Any compact car?  Just the fillup process itself of 10-11 gallons doesn't take more than 3 minutes. It probably takes as long to put the card in, type in zip code or PIN and tell it I don't want a car wash as it does to put the gas itself in. 

    I'll be getting gas in the next couple of days. Hopefully I can remember to time it. 

    Turn the volume down/off as there’s a fire truck rolling past. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

    Turn the volume down/off as there’s a fire truck rolling past. 

    292CC270-8EF5-4F81-A8CC-59A88E8A2ECA.MOV

    Thank you for posting, I wish APPLE would follow industry standards, MOV format just does not play on anything well except apple, lucky for me I have the VCL player installed.

    WOW, just $20 to fill up, amazing, I honestly cannot remember ever filling up an auto for less than $65 to 70 dollars or more. Cool, so 10 gallons in a minute for what an estimated 300 mile range? Cool.

    I just plug in my auto at night once I get it and every morning the tank will be full. ;) 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    You're so amazed, it's like you grew up in a far-off land where ICE vehicles were not 100% the norm.  Really?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

    You're so amazed, it's like you grew up in a far-off land where ICE vehicles were not 100% the norm.  Really?

    And you are living in the 20th century where they will be the norm forever...so one of you is living in a far off land and one of you is living in a former Century.

    As far as Wieners go, I like ?Dirty Franks here in Columbus, great selection of hot dogs. If you folks ever come by, I will treat you to a dog there and an Cold beverage of your choice!

    http://dirtyfrankshotdogs.com/

    Linky to Dirty franks.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    And you are living in the 20th century where they will be the norm forever...so one of you is living in a far off land and one of you is living in a former Century.

    As far as Wieners go, I like ?Dirty Franks here in Columbus, great selection of hot dogs. If you folks ever come by, I will treat you to a dog there and an Cold beverage of your choice!

    http://dirtyfrankshotdogs.com/

    Linky to Dirty franks.

    Sounds tasty.   Charlie's Dog House is a couple miles from me here in Cleveland, tasty hot dogs.

     

    eat2-charlies_copy.jpg

    On the subject of gas stations and filling up, I encountered a pump last week that took about a minute a gallon...after 10 min, I had put in 10 gallons and gave up.  Slowest pump I've ever seen. 

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    Sounds tasty.   Charlie's Dog House is a couple miles from me here in Cleveland, tasty hot dogs.

     

    eat2-charlies_copy.jpg

    On the subject of gas stations and filling up, I encountered a pump last week that took about a minute a gallon...after 10 min, I had put in 10 gallons and gave up.  Slowest pump I've ever seen. 

    It's Ohio...everything moves slower in the cold.

    ...and you came to me last time...I need to see you next time I am up in Cleveland.

    Edited by A Horse With No Name
    Spelling

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, dfelt said:

    Thank you for posting, I wish APPLE would follow industry standards, MOV format just does not play on anything well except apple, lucky for me I have the VCL player installed.

    WOW, just $20 to fill up, amazing, I honestly cannot remember ever filling up an auto for less than $65 to 70 dollars or more. Cool, so 10 gallons in a minute for what an estimated 300 mile range? Cool.

    I just plug in my auto at night once I get it and every morning the tank will be full. ;) 

    Yeah, I wasn't sure how well that would upload..

    Haha gas has dropped to under $2/gal here. $1.94/gal is what I paid yesterday. I average about 32mpg so a full tank is worth about 350 miles, on average. 

    I read that the flow rate of gas pumps are between 10-11 gallons per minute, fwiw. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”  Henry Ford

    Had not been for the supposed cancellation of the CT6 after getting a brand new lease on life with the BlackWing, I don't think that people would have worried so much. But in truth we really haven't the slightest idea if the CT6 is really leaving, as there is a possibility that Detroit-Ham may still be kept open, or if the BlackWing is simply being offered in the CT6 before Cadillac gets a different car based flagship. Let's be honest... as great as the CT6 is, Caddy really hobbled it with that name. It could be simply a diversion to a new name.. or naming scheme all around. GM has spent billion recently tho, on not only the 4.2L, but the new Truck engines.. a new Vette engine.. updated architectures on its V6s and 4cylin.. so I don't think that they are going anywhere completely in the next decade.. BUT!!!

    We now have Tesla, Rivian and Atlis. All working on introducing EV trucks in the next few years. That last one.. Atlis is offering 500 miles, 15 minute full charge, and 20,000 tow capacity ATLIS LINK. Why would GM or Ford.. or VW.. want to be left on the sidelines for the sake of the enthusiast.. who is quickly becoming a rarity anyway. Just an example of that is that my business is an IT company with a division that also does custom PCs. Gaming systems are a growing sector.. I have 20 something and 30 something Gamers contracting with us for $5K-$9K computer systems, but they own a used 8  year old Honda Civic or catch Uber everywhere. This is a fact.

    So the biggest thing I see is that GM is not killing the ICE alone. We are. Our changing needs, and the simple fact that growing populations all over the world are buying dirty cars that are polluting the air. Have U seen China? FUKK that place. Plus.. When U get down to it,  the reality is that the technology is evolving to a state that within the next  5 years one can easily see charging taking place in the same time as a fill-up. 

    None of us know the pains and great compromises that these people make being "car guys" while being beholden to Gov't mandates, Stock-Holder desires, employee job security, and actual consumer demand. I consider myself a "Car Guy, a level above most," but at the same time I throw in, when playing "Fantasy Car Company God," throw in the Minivans, which I despise, hatches, which I loath, CUVs which do little for me, Hybrids, which make me cringe.. with the 1000hp wedge shapes lined in leather and able to phase thru solid objects or at the very least, when traffic presents itself, turn wheels into flippable thrusters to lift me up a 100ft in the air and jettison me to my destination at the speed of light. (Think that Delorean at the end of Back to the Future) Then reality kicks in, and I realize that I need to build vehicles that the actual buying public wants. Witness a few things that happened this year over at GM, and despite what some may say, they have actually done a damn great job at keeping the ship, not only afloat, but moving full speed ahead.

    They are currently sitting at about $7 Billion in profits, not even including Q4 for 2018. Just a decade ago, who would have thought. All the enthusiast vehicles Bob and Rick signed off on pre-BK did nothing to save GM from going to Washington on Jets and asking for a loan. I think Reuss and Barra have the right idea. They are attempting to move GM into a future that doesn't depend on oil. They are delving deep into new technologies.

    • Upvote 3
    • Downvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    And you are living in the 20th century where they will be the norm forever...so one of you is living in a far off land and one of you is living in a former Century.

    As far as Wieners go, I like ?Dirty Franks here in Columbus, great selection of hot dogs. If you folks ever come by, I will treat you to a dog there and an Cold beverage of your choice!

    http://dirtyfrankshotdogs.com/

    Linky to Dirty franks.

    I would like to preorder the Slappy Pappy's Supper Sloppy and The Dirty Sancho with a Dr. Pepper.

    Gonna have to make two trips as I also want to try The Doginator along with The Texas Tommy with the Salty Dog! :P 

    43 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    Sounds tasty.   Charlie's Dog House is a couple miles from me here in Cleveland, tasty hot dogs.

     

    eat2-charlies_copy.jpg

    On the subject of gas stations and filling up, I encountered a pump last week that took about a minute a gallon...after 10 min, I had put in 10 gallons and gave up.  Slowest pump I've ever seen. 

    Hot Dogs :P 

    Sounds like a very dirty filter on their pump system. That is how one can tell if a station maintains their pumps or not, slow filling is a clear sign their filters are clogging up with contaminants.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

    Yeah, I wasn't sure how well that would upload..

    Haha gas has dropped to under $2/gal here. $1.94/gal is what I paid yesterday. I average about 32mpg so a full tank is worth about 350 miles, on average. 

    I read that the flow rate of gas pumps are between 10-11 gallons per minute, fwiw. 

    WOW, Wish gas was that cheap here, Course flow rate is heavily dictated on maintenance of the system and how dirty the filters are for pumping the gas from the holding tanks into an auto. I have seen some very slow systems which would make me think twice about fueling as I would worry about water in the system on top of all the sediment.

    Washington state average:

                                         Regular        Mid-grade    Premium    Diesel

    Washington $3.014 $3.234 $3.374 $3.246
    11 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”  Henry Ford

    Had not been for the supposed cancellation of the CT6 after getting a brand new lease on life with the BlackWing, I don't think that people would have worried so much. But in truth we really haven't the slightest idea if the CT6 is really leaving, as there is a possibility that Detroit-Ham may still be kept open, or if the BlackWing is simply being offered in the CT6 before Cadillac gets a different car based flagship. Let's be honest... as great as the CT6 is, Caddy really hobbled it with that name. It could be simply a diversion to a new name.. or naming scheme all around. GM has spent billion recently tho, on not only the 4.2L, but the new Truck engines.. a new Vette engine.. updated architectures on its V6s and 4cylin.. so I don't think that they are going anywhere completely in the next decade.. BUT!!!

    We now have Tesla, Rivian and Atlis. All working on introducing EV trucks in the next few years. That last one.. Atlis is offering 500 miles, 15 minute full charge, and 20,000 tow capacity ATLIS LINK. Why would GM or Ford.. or VW.. want to be left on the sidelines for the sake of the enthusiast.. who is quickly becoming a rarity anyway. Just an example of that is that my business is an IT company with a division that also does custom PCs. Gaming systems are a growing sector.. I have 20 something and 30 something Gamers contracting with us for $5K-$9K computer systems, but they own a used 8  year old Honda Civic or catch Uber everywhere. This is a fact.

    So the biggest thing I see is that GM is not killing the ICE alone. We are. Our changing needs, and the simple fact that growing populations all over the world are buying dirty cars that are polluting the air. Have U seen China? FUKK that place. Plus.. When U get down to it,  the reality is that the technology is evolving to a state that within the next  5 years one can easily see charging taking place in the same time as a fill-up. 

    None of us know the pains and great compromises that these people make being "car guys" while being beholden to Gov't mandates, Stock-Holder desires, employee job security, and actual consumer demand. I consider myself a "Car Guy, a level above most," but at the same time I throw in, when playing "Fantasy Car Company God," throw in the Minivans, which I despise, hatches, which I loath, CUVs which do little for me, Hybrids, which make me cringe.. with the 1000hp wedge shapes lined in leather and able to phase thru solid objects or at the very least, when traffic presents itself, turn wheels into flippable thrusters to lift me up a 100ft in the air and jettison me to my destination at the speed of light. (Think that Delorean at the end of Back to the Future) Then reality kicks in, and I realize that I need to build vehicles that the actual buying public wants. Witness a few things that happened this year over at GM, and despite what some may say, they have actually done a damn great job at keeping the ship, not only afloat, but moving full speed ahead.

    They are currently sitting at about $7 Billion in profits, not even including Q4 for 2018. Just a decade ago, who would have thought. All the enthusiast vehicles Bob and Rick signed off on pre-BK did nothing to save GM from going to Washington on Jets and asking for a loan. I think Reuss and Barra have the right idea. They are attempting to move GM into a future that doesn't depend on oil. They are delving deep into new technologies.

    So True! :metal:

    My wife liked the Rivian but was not thrilled by it, after seeing the Atlis pickup, she said she can see us owning and driving one. She is a very hands on person before spending money. Not a virtual person and is not a tech person at all as I have huge support with her and tech, so once the Atlis is in production, she wants to go see it in person. That could be the next auto in the driveway.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    WOW, Wish gas was that cheap here, Course flow rate is heavily dictated on maintenance of the system and how dirty the filters are for pumping the gas from the holding tanks into an auto. I have seen some very slow systems which would make me think twice about fueling as I would worry about water in the system on top of all the sediment.

    Washington state average:

                                         Regular        Mid-grade    Premium    Diesel

    Washington $3.014 $3.234 $3.374 $3.246

    Holy crap those prices are pretty nuts in comparison. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

    Holy crap those prices are pretty nuts in comparison. 

    Seattle though does have one of the highest college educated workforces in the country based on % to population and as such it also goes with higher income so as the state pushes to go all EV, gas prices are heavily taxed here.

    The average salary in Seattle, Washington is $69,366. Trends in wages are down 0 percent as of Q3 2018. The cost of living in Seattle is 48.8 percent higher than the national average. The most popular occupations in Seattle are Software Engineer, Software Development Engineer (SDE), and Senior Software Engineer which pay between $101,160 and $127,723 per year.
    www.payscale.com/research/US/Location=Seattle-WA/Hourly_Rate
     
    Thank you Amazon for pushing up the cost of everything. :P 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    Seattle though does have one of the highest college educated workforces in the country based on % to population and as such it also goes with higher income so as the state pushes to go all EV, gas prices are heavily taxed here.

    The average salary in Seattle, Washington is $69,366. Trends in wages are down 0 percent as of Q3 2018. The cost of living in Seattle is 48.8 percent higher than the national average. The most popular occupations in Seattle are Software Engineer, Software Development Engineer (SDE), and Senior Software Engineer which pay between $101,160 and $127,723 per year.
    www.payscale.com/research/US/Location=Seattle-WA/Hourly_Rate
     
    Thank you Amazon for pushing up the cost of everything. :P 

    How did you get that information? I tried fiddling with that site and couldn't find regional information like you found. Mine, more or less, asks me about specific jobs and what I'm looking for. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

    How did you get that information? I tried fiddling with that site and couldn't find regional information like you found. Mine, more or less, asks me about specific jobs and what I'm looking for. 

    Here ya go my friend:

    FYI, I use BING and always state to search for "What is the average Salary for St. Louis Missouri?" You can use that exact same statement for any city / state and it grabs the info for you unlike Google that gives weird results. Microsoft has really stepped up their search engine game.

    https://www.bing.com/search?q=What is average salary for St. Louis Missouri&cbir=sbi&imageBin=&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=what is average salary for st. louis missouri&sc=1-45&sk=&cvid=85CCAD625AEE44278B930A69855C570B 

    The average salary in St. Louis, Missouri is $52,568. Trends in wages are going up with a 0.4 percent increase over last quarter as of Q3 2018. The cost of living in St. Louis is 5.9 percent lower than the national average. Popular jobs in St. Louis include Operations Manager, Mechanical Engineer, and Software Engineer which pay between $61,343 and $71,489 annually.
    www.payscale.com/research/US/Location=St.-Louis-MO/Salary
    • Thanks 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Similar Content

    • By David
      GM announced today their new family of EV motors, The Ultium Drive family.

      The Ultium Drive family is made up of five interchangeable drive units and three motors. This will help transition the current portfolio of auto's to fully electric lineup. Performance, scale, speed to market and manufacturing efficiencies will provide GM significant advantages over past EV auto's. GM is leading the way with industry class leading drive units that use an electric motor and single-speed transmissions to apply power best in class horsepower and torque. Ultium Drives will be more responsive than internal combustion motors with precision torque control of the motors and smooth performance. The design and development of the Ultium Drive modular architecture allows us to offer industry-leading torque with power density across a wide spectrum of different vehicles types.
      GM has applied their 25 years of EV experience in creating the Ultium Drive family with lighter and more efficient designs. The Ultium Drive family integrates the power electronics into the drive units assemblies allowing for a 50% reduction in electronics over previous auto's thus saving cost and packaging space while increasing capability by 25 percent.

      To Quote GM press release:
      “As with other propulsion systems that are complex, capital intensive and contain a great deal of intellectual property, we’re always better off making them ourselves,” said Adam Kwiatkowski, GM executive chief engineer, Global Electrical Propulsion. “GM’s full lineup of EVs should benefit from the simultaneous engineering of Ultium Drive. Our commitment to increased vertical integration is expected to bring additional cost efficiency to the performance equation.”
      Ultium-Drive-to-Help-Power-GMs-All-Electric-Future.mp4


      https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/sep/0916-ultium-drive.html
    • By William Maley
      The COVID-19 pandemic has possibly caused another auto show to rethink their plans. According to Automotive News, organizers of the show are planning to delay the show from November to next May. Three sources tell the outlet the new dates are May 21st to 31st. Two of sources go on to say that an announcement could come this week.
      Automotive News tried to get comment from Terri Toennies, president of the show, but did not reply.
      By possibly moving the LA Auto Show to May, automakers and organizers of the New York and Detroit shows find themselves in a difficult spot. The LA show sandwiches between New York (April) and the revised Detroit show (June), which may cause automakers to make difficult decisions as to which shows get the most significant unveilings or whether to attend at all.
      Auto shows in general have been struggling before the onset of the pandemic. With automakers deciding to hold their own events to have more time in the spotlight and save cash, the spectacle of the show has gone down.
      We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      The COVID-19 pandemic has possibly caused another auto show to rethink their plans. According to Automotive News, organizers of the show are planning to delay the show from November to next May. Three sources tell the outlet the new dates are May 21st to 31st. Two of sources go on to say that an announcement could come this week.
      Automotive News tried to get comment from Terri Toennies, president of the show, but did not reply.
      By possibly moving the LA Auto Show to May, automakers and organizers of the New York and Detroit shows find themselves in a difficult spot. The LA show sandwiches between New York (April) and the revised Detroit show (June), which may cause automakers to make difficult decisions as to which shows get the most significant unveilings or whether to attend at all.
      Auto shows in general have been struggling before the onset of the pandemic. With automakers deciding to hold their own events to have more time in the spotlight and save cash, the spectacle of the show has gone down.
      We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By David
      Detroit Free Press covered the annual GM Analysts call this week and with the second quarter results it showed that GM has lost $800 million in the quarter but over all North American Earnings were breakeven and this was with 8 weeks of shutdown. Over all the Stock beat wall streets estimates and yet still sold off in large numbers during the pandemic closure.
      Analysts had plenty of questions for GM with a major question of will GM consider spinning off their technology arm which would include electric vehicles operations into a stand alone company?
      The idea of a stand alone GM Tech company is to recognize the advanced tech GM has over other auto companies and to unlock what Analysts see as considerable shareholder value. This new entity would allow access to cheap new capital to keep the old GM going till the new GM would replace it as a cutting edge tech auto company with what is seen as future strong growth.
      GM has reinforced it's future of all electric auto's, self driving auto's and what it expects to become a zero emission company with 20 new EV auto's on the market by 2023, the first being out in Q1 of 2021.
      The group of Analysts has suggested the new company be called Ultium based on GM's new battery tech.
      The CEO responded that GM is evaluating many scenarios for the future of GM. She had nothing further to say other than the board and executive team will consider all options for what is best for driving long-term shareholder value. Quote: "Nothing is off the table."
      Analysts have since added notes to their research suggesting that GM could already be considering this since so many start ups are valued more than GM such as Tesla, Nikola, Rivian, etc. The Billions of cheap dollars that could help drive GM long term into the future is hard to ignore.
      Some analysts say that to split the company would kill off the baby, meaning the EV side would die after the money was harvested from the stock sale as you only have the Chevrolet Bolt and the new company would have to follow Tesla in going back to the market for more and more money. This is based on what some analysts see as only a US/Canada interest in EVs compared to the rest of the world needing ICE.
      That being said it does show a clear line between those Analysts that see Europe and China leading in new tech with a change to EV's versus those Analysts that are more inline with the oil industry and imply that there is little to no interest in EV's.
      End result is WHAT WILL GM DO?
      I suspect GM will stay the course of using ICE auto's to fund the change to an all EV world. 50 years from now, people will be wondering why it took so long to dump ICE auto's in favor of EV's.
      What are your thoughts on this?
      https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2020/08/01/gm-electric-vehicles-mary-barra/5549426002/
       
       
    • By David
      Today July 31st 2020 GM and EVgo anounced their partnership to grow the EVgo fast charging network in growing nationally fast chargers. 2,700 fast chargers will be paid for and added to the EVgo network of fast chargers nationally by 2025.
      EVgo currently has 800 fast chargers that allows EV's to fully charge battery packs from 15 to 30 mins. In support of GM's drive to be 100% renewable power, all EVgo chargers use renewable energy now and will continue for the additional 2,700 stations that are to be added to the network.
      To Quote the News Release:
      This EV charging announcement continues GM’s commitment to an all-electric future.
      The heart of GM’s strategy is a modular propulsion system and a highly flexible global EV platform powered by proprietary Ultium batteries, allowing the company to compete for nearly every customer in the market today, whether they are looking for affordable transportation, a luxury experience, work trucks or a high-performance machine. On Thursday, Aug. 6, 2020, Cadillac will reveal the luxury brand’s first fully electric vehicle, the Cadillac LYRIQ. Earlier this year, GM announced that the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant will be GM’s first plant that is 100 percent devoted to electric vehicles and in fall 2021, will start building the new GMC HUMMER EV. GM was the first automaker to launch a long-range, affordable EV in 2017 with the Chevrolet Bolt EV and will expand on the Bolt EV’s foundation with the introduction of the Bolt EUV in 2021.  In March 2020, GM announced plans to greatly expand employee workplace charging with the addition of 3,500 new plugs at GM facilities in the U.S. and Canada. In 2019, GM announced the creation of Ultium Cells LLC, a joint venture with LG Chem to mass-produce battery cells in Ohio for future battery-electric vehicles, and that GM is working with Qmerit to create a more accessible at-home charging solution. 1 Actual charge times will vary based on battery condition, output of charger, vehicle settings and outside temperature.
      https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/jul/0731-evgo.html
  • Posts

  • Social Stream

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. jlbunting
      jlbunting
      (44 years old)
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • My Clubs

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...