I Just Learned Something

NOS2006

Aww... Nos, I don't like the taste of liquor either, especially straight. I think I know what you're doing. You don't want to go off to college without trying that junk because you know people are going to ask you about it.

You know this, but let me say it... you can have fun and be popular in college if you don't drink much. Don't try to change who you are because of what you think they expect of you.

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, now you've got to try the two together. :AH-HA_wink:

I'll admit vodka alone is...yeah, aweful. That's a drink that should actually trim back on the chest hair. :D

Yeah, well my dad was getting some coke/rum and I was screwing around and said, "Okay, I see how it is.. where's mine?" So he gives me a little on the bottom of the cup and go, yup, that's pretty disgusting.

So a little later, after he's done laughing about the rum, he comes into my room with a little in a cup. Well, I'm acting like a smartass and take an entire mouthful. Swish it around in the mouth, swallow, and get told it's vodka as I'm looking at him in disgust. He walks off laughing. That douchebag.

Well, let me clarify... straight vodka tastes like rubbing alcohol smells... horrible. No, I'm not like Sue Ellen Ewing, who, after all the drinkable alcohol was taken out of the house, she went to her medicine cabinet and... drank that stuff. *shiver* :nono:

:lol: At least he hasn't started trying to drink E85 yet...

I bet Ethanol Fuel Stations just love it when Ted Kennedy sets foot on their property.

Oh, and I used to drink brown rum (Appleton Estate) straight or with cola when I was in university. Vodka... meh... where I went, douchebags would have it in Powerade and have flipped up collars and they carried cellphone holders... kinda like this guy.

Posted Image

So I didn't like Vodka.

Edited by Captainbooyah

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, let me clarify... straight vodka tastes like rubbing alcohol smells... horrible.  No, I'm not like Sue Ellen Ewing, who, after all the drinkable alcohol was taken out of the house, she went to her medicine cabinet and... drank that stuff.  *shiver* :nono:

179484[/snapback]

Hey, now. I think we can all say we've drank some Scope (which is alcohol-based) on accident every once and awhile. :D

But, seriously, drinking rubbing alcohol like the person Blu mentioned in his post is pathedic. Not to mention deadly and stupid. If someone drinks that stuff they deserve to die from it. :nono:

i only drink vodka straight . . . but cheap liqour is all gross anyways

and rubbing alchohol is more toxic . . . but moonshine is a more powerful poison . . . toxicity is determined by terms of life . . . moonshine does not kill the way rubbing alchohol or ethyl alchohol is but it does poison strong and fast

i dont mind moonshine tho

Edited by mute

Guest YellowJacket894

I have a friend who has a cabnet contaning a few bottles of 'shine. I think I might go over and ask him if I can use it as octane booster... :D

The taste of alchol itself has always been enough to keep me from becoming an alcholic, including beer, I never liked the taste of beer. Ice cold at the end of a hot summers day work would be OK for maybe as many as 3 but thats about it. I guess I drank when I was younger just to go out and have fun. In recent years I drink on occasion to remind myself why I dont drink. Sundays always used to be such a waste all hungover and burnt out from being out all night.

Aww... Nos, I don't like the taste of liquor either, especially straight.  I think I know what you're doing.  You don't want to go off to college without trying that junk because you know people are going to ask you about it.

You know this, but let me say it... you can have fun and be popular in college if you don't drink much.  Don't try to change who you are because of what you think they expect of you.

179443[/snapback]

For what it's worth, let me second this. In the end, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. The only thing that matters is that you be true to who you are. When you stray from "who you are" you make yourself unhappy and the further you stray, the more miserable you will be. This is life experience that should have been second nature to me at this point in my life. But, I've had to learn it again over the past year and I still haven't been able to get myself back to 'happy'.

I bet Ethanol Fuel Stations just love it when Ted Kennedy sets foot on their property.

Oh, and I used to drink brown rum (Appleton Estate) straight or with cola when I was in university. Vodka... meh... where I went, douchebags would have it in Powerade and have flipped up collars and they carried cellphone holders... kinda like this guy.

Posted Image

So I didn't like Vodka.

179491[/snapback]

:rotflmao:

i only drink vodka straight . . . but cheap liqour is all gross anyways

and rubbing alchohol is more toxic . . . but moonshine is a more powerful poison . . . toxicity is determined by terms of life . . . moonshine does not kill the way rubbing alchohol or ethyl alchohol is but it does poison strong and fast

i dont mind moonshine tho

179513[/snapback]

Lets clear this up about moonshine vs rubbing alcohol quick before someone tries either. Both can be very dangerous. Moonshine, distilled alcohol made from fermented grain, can be quite safe, IF distilled properly. Moonshine because of the way it is made, ie not professional, can contain small to moderate amounts of 'wood alcohol' or menthanol which is very similar to drinking alcohol or ethanol. In fact the only difference is that ethanol has an extra Carbon and 2 hydrogen atoms in the molecule. That may not sound to bad except when your body metabolizes ethanol it becomes lactic acid, which can cause hangovers and make you feel like crap, that is relatively harmless. When your body applies the same breakdown on Methanol it turns into Formaldehyde, which is VERY toxic and easily deadly! The first thing that will happen is that you will go blind, even with small amounts of methanol, the formaldehyde attacks the retina of the eye. The next is complete systemic organ failure. Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol which is pretty toxic stuff but not nearly so deadly in small quantities as compared to methanol.

I made moonshine in o. chem lab in college and actually got around 160 proof fairly easily. In fact a dude in the class got 190+ proof, the TA was so impressed they took the sample and ran it through the NMR machine to make sure it was that pure. I did not try it, number one because I saw what the crap looked like as it fermented over 2 weeks and second is that I personally don't drink. I just don't like alcohol on a taste/personal level, but to each his own.

Do yourself a favor don't EVER try rubbing alcohol and if you try grain alcohol or 'moonshine' burn it first. If the flame burns bright blue, kinda a cobalt blue color, then it is likely safe. If you don't see a flame throw that crap away it is methanol and can kill you!

Try some tequila. Might I recommend Patron silver. It is a very good tequila. Pretty smooth.

I can handle rum pretty well (especially after Mai Tai night at the resort in Maui last wednesday...as many Mai Tai's as you can handle...good times).

I'm pretty cool with vodka as well. Just as long as it is good and cold (or atleast I've already got a good buzz going on) then I can handle it straight just fine.

One thing I can't handle is Wild Turkey or any of that type of bourbon whiskey...I have yet to try whiskey like JD so I can't comment on the tamer stuff. All I know is the scent is enough to make me puke. I still can't believe my friend downed atleast 3/4ths of a bottle of Wild Turkey in the course of less than an hour. Never seen anyone go from straight sober/buzzed to completely $h!faced so quickly...Needless to say, I was the one watching over him as he was praying to the porcelain gods that night...I owed him the favor anyways after the times he has helped me out.

As far as hard liquor goes, it's fun every once in a while, but I'll stick to my beers and wines for the most part.

You guys remember that "outdoor car museum"?

Me & XP went back yesterday and were tooling around.

XP found a bottle of Schaefer Beer from what looks like

the 60s or 70s. It was sitting on the roof of a '55 Buick

covered with pine needles. HE turns the cap, the seal

breaks and we actually hear the "PFFSST" as the beer

is opened for the first time.

So we determined it was probably like 25-30 years old

but at least 20 anyway... well, I drank it. It was pretty

good actually. I might be the last human in existrance

to drink a bottle of Schaefer beer considering they

went belly up in like 1988.

Ahhh... good times.

Posted Image

So I didn't like Vodka.

179491[/snapback]

Is that you? In a hotel room? With a bunch of drunk guys?

Lets clear this up about moonshine vs rubbing alcohol quick before someone tries either.  Both can be very dangerous. 

179633[/snapback]

In this town, dealing with Hutterites for bulk purchasing, they sometimes throw bottles of 'hooch' our way. I got one two years ago as a present and opened it a few weeks later to give it a taste. I'd already been warned about how powerful the crap was, and for good reason, since a sip of it left my bitter senses looking for a way off my tongue. I'm sure these guys know what they're doing, since they've been making this garbage for generations; but, it was horrible stuff, not even fit to mix with...and if you can't even mix it with anything, you might as well keep it to clean stuff, which is exactly why I have it in the garage now. I get the shivers just thinking about that taste.

I would imagine beer has a best before date? In '02 I won Belgian beer displayer that included a traditional glass set. There's a Leffe, Hoegaarden and Sella Artois. I don't know what I was thinking because I never cracked them open. Now I'm curious if the few floaters in the sealed bottles are growth or not.

I learned something new today, too. If it means taking a 2.5 hr round trip to get something for very cheap, do it.

I picked up an entire body kit for my car (needs a repainting because it's used) in pretty damn good condition (the paint is scratched off the lip because he threw an LS6 in his car and it drops real low when he shifts at WOT). On ebay, the kit goes for $650 shipped. How much did I get it for? $150. :smilewide:

For straight up drinking I prefer a good whiskey. JD is good especially the Gentleman Jack. I really like the good Irish whiskeys like Bushmills though.

Rum is good for mixed drinks as are the most whiskeys. Tequila is not my drink of choice but when TDY...