2008 Hyundai Equus

pow

Posted Image

This photo clearly shows that the 2008 Equus will use a rear-wheel-drive configuration when it debuts roughly two years from now. This angle also gives a good indication of this vehicle's size. With a wheelbase of 116 inches, the Equus is nearly as big as a Mercedes S-Class between the wheels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unless you've visited Korea lately, you've probably never heard of the Hyundai Equus. It's Hyundai's largest, most luxurious sedan, but since its debut in 1999 it's been a domestic market sedan only. That may change in the coming years as the 2008 Hyundai Equus is being designed with U.S. sales in mind.

Our latest spy photos show an Equus sedan that's bigger and more luxurious-looking than the current model. The styling looks as though it will remain on the conservative side, but given that the Equus will likely go up against cars like the Toyota Avalon and Buick Lucerne it shouldn't be a problem. Size shouldn't be an issue either. Our handy spy shooters measured a wheelbase of 116 inches, a full 5 inches longer than the Avalon's 111-inch wheelbase. That should give the Equus plenty of room in back to go along with what looks to be a well-appointed cabin.

The last-generation Equus made the switch to rear-wheel drive and the 2008 model will retain that configuration. Power is expected to come from a 3.8-liter V6 with upwards of 270 horsepower. A five-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift capability will handle the shifts.

Look for this sedan to debut in about two years time, most likely with a new name for its new market.

More pics: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...icleId=106903#9

The interior looks great for a Hyundai (or any manufacturer), though they mashed the interior design of the CLS and every new BMW together. RWD sounds nice, along with the 270HP. I think price (and perhaps exterior design) will be the deciding point. Overall, I'm very impressed. Edit: After looking at the exterior pictures again, I think the rear door design looks like an Altima and the windowsill and door sides look like the G35. I know there's camo on the car but those are my initial impressions. Edited by sciguy_0504

Edit:  After looking at the exterior pictures again, I think the rear door design looks like an Altima and the windowsill and door sides look like the G35.  I know there's camo on the car but those are my initial impressions.

[post="979"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I thought the roofline in general looked a lot like the Altima too. I see where you're coming from with the G35 on the sides but the crease appears to be sharper, sort of like on Cadillacs.

I don't know.... While I've always been interested in the Equus, since I saw the first AWD version at the LA auto show years ago, I'm not too sure about some of the elements of this car. Rear-drive? Great! 270-horse V-6? Cool BASE engine, but where's the V-8? Is it much bigger than the upcoming Azera? And interiorwise, the steering wheel is whatever, but the dash looks kinda dated with that wavy 90s look; I'd like to see something more chiseled. Exterior should deliver, as long as they don't concave the fenders and give it an out-of-place grille, as the Koreans tend to do quite often.

That steering wheel is terrible, but the rest of the dashboard looks very nice. That center stack/console treatment is above and beyond most everything GM makes. The exterior doesn't look like it'll break new ground, but it'll be nice.

Wasn't a previous generation years ago of the Equus based on an older Merc E-class? (or was that the Hyundai Chairman..). Yes, Equus means horse...BTW, there was a rather strange movie with this title made in the '70s with Richard Burton. Edited by moltar