Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

G6 concept

Fijian

hehe, you're about two years worth of bitchin' too late....ya I agree, and we all agree on this site that would have made a much better G6, and subtle improvements such as using the more expensive grille applique would also make the G6 a ton better looking. As it is, though, I think the G6 is one of the best looking sedans in the mid-size category, even if Pontiac's design cues, the twin port grille and cats-eyes, headlights are very tired. The G6 GTP also looks really awesome.

Other than the rear and interior, it doesn't look any better than the production G6. I love the profile, but it really isn't practical for production. Can you say less rear headroom than Grand Prix? And that grill is just terrible... Ugh. If anything, I just wish the concept's engine, AWD system, and interior could be put onto the production version. Maybe the rear too... but it's no biggie.

I said it then and I'll say it now...

Looks like what the next Alero would've been.

[post="15503"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I remember a while back someone chopped an Olds front onto it and it looked pretty good.

The G6 concept was better than the production version, but it's really pretty similar to the production version if you just take off the big wheels, make it have regular ground clearance, and have a practical roofline.

Other than the rear and interior, it doesn't look any better than the production G6. I love the profile, but it really isn't practical for production. Can you say less rear headroom than Grand Prix? And that grill is just terrible... Ugh.

[post="15498"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thre's nothing really wrong about the grille on the concept, but imagine that much chrome and brushed aluminum on the front, how much would it cost and when you scratch it, how much would it cost for you to fix it...

• 1 month later...
I actually love the looks of the production G6. That concept is kind of like a cartoonish, smoothed out version of the real thing! :) It looks cool too. I recently rented a 2006 G6, and I was pleasantly surprised. I had been thinking about buying a Mazda 3s, but given that the Pontiac's 3.5 liter V-6 was giving me better gas mileage than the 2.3 liter Mazda 3 would, well...what's the point in buying an economy car when a midsize V-6 gets the same or better mileage?! However, I wish GM offered a 5 or 6 speed automatic on the car. Also, I have nothing against pushrod engines if they can match the power and refinement of the newer designs, but these old GM engines are falling short compared to the offerings from Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and others. I mean, if a Nissan Altima's 3.5 liter can put out 250 hp and still deliver 28 mpg highway, then the 201 hp from the G6's 3.5 liter seems a little low. I'd consider the 240 hp G6 GTP, but I'd like to see it get slightly better gas mileage than it does. So, because of the 4 speed transmission and the old pushrod engine with its modest output, I'm not quite sold on the car. Also, I wish you could get stability control without having to move up to the GTP model. If GM ever puts a modern OHC engine in this car, mated to the upcoming 6 speed automatic transmission, then they'll definitely have a contender!

I think if you take off the body-side molding, black out the chrome molding around the window, and remove the fixed windows on the rear doors, you'd have something that's 95% of what this concept's exterior is.

I could look at this concept all day any day and even if it was 10 years late.  I love it.  This is what the G6 should have been... a missed opportunity.

[post="15470"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree 100%. Period. This should have ben the G6, not what we got.

>>"Other than the rear and interior, it doesn't look any better than the production G6. I love the profile, but it really isn't practical for production."<<
>>"The G6 concept was better than the production version, but it's really pretty similar to the production version if you just take off the big wheels, make it have regular ground clearance, and have a practical roofline. "<<
>>"I think if you take off the body-side molding, black out the chrome molding around the window, and remove the fixed windows on the rear doors, you'd have something that's 95% of what this concept's exterior is."<<

Agreed
Agreed
Agreed.
Therefore, I cannot understand the comments that run along the lines "This should have been the G6, not what we got." This is easily one of the closest-to-concept vehicle exteriors on the market outside of the Solstice. Edited by balthazar

It's the taillights not being jeweled like a 90s Alero or the concept...instead using cheap early 90s plastic... It's the interior with all of its tacky plastic and uncohesive design... and its the lack of small exterior details... all of those contribute to the pathetic production version, with 90% going to the interior, 8% to the rear, and 2% for the exterior details. If the interior didn't suck so much it might be decent. BUT NO.

Therefore, I cannot understand the comments that run along the lines "This should have been the G6, not what we got." This is easily one of the closest-to-concept vehicle exteriors on the market outside of the Solstice.

It's the taillights not being jeweled like a 90s Alero or the concept...instead using cheap early 90s plastic...

It's the interior with all of its tacky plastic and uncohesive design...

and its the lack of small exterior details...

all of those contribute to the pathetic production version, with 90% going to the interior, 8% to the rear, and 2% for the exterior details.

If the interior didn't suck so much it might be decent.  BUT NO.

I agree with croc.. the majority is very simular from concept to production but it's the small details that make it count IMO.

I'm not a fan of the concept... it looks like a caricature of the production version. It's too cartoony and bulbous, IMHO, of course.

[post="38474"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed. I honestly think the concept suffers from the same stretched/warped proportions that the production model does, only to a WORSE degree. The production car, IMO, looks more cohesive and better finished than this thing, and I'm still no fan of it. Edited by caddycruiser

it dont look all that diffrent from the production model.. atleast the headlights are identical!!! I ordered a G6 GTP and i should get it next month.. even though I work in the paint department for Honda in marysville.. we are going to add a third model , i havent seen it yet but it is a crossover probably simular to GM's lambda crossovers.. and we are prepping a new paint shop now to accomodate it..

it dont look all that diffrent from the production model..  atleast the headlights are identical!!!  I ordered a G6 GTP and i should get it next month.. even though I work in the paint department for Honda in marysville.. we are going to add a third model , i havent seen it yet but it is a crossover probably simular to GM's lambda crossovers..  and we are prepping a new paint shop now to accomodate it..

[post="39963"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Interesting combo: a person who works assembling/painting/etc. Hondas but spends his own money on a Pontiac.

Then again, when you get right down to it, there's nothing really from Honda that's a dead on match for a G6 GTP, and that's my honest view. An Accord V6 is great, but a little too appliance like and definately more boring, even if a bit more polished when it comes to refinement and driving dynamics.

really it comes down to price.. I can get a better discount from GM because my dad is a retiree, and also he is going to let me use his $1,000 retiree bonus coupon. I wouldnt mind having an Acura TL, which is more of a competitor of the GTP, but the TL cost more than $5,000 more than the GTP..