Solstice Hardtop Conversion

I think we've seen this at SEMA shows or around in general, but I saw on their website they're now taking preorders with the top being available in January of next year.

EDAG Solstice hardtop

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks nifty for only $2499. Dealers would be smart to order some, I suppose. And for Roger, coming soon...this one looks far better, too...

Posted Image

I'm getting a Mazda feel on the Sky from the back end.Not so much on the Pontiac. Kinda gives it a faux-nomad concept look.(probably their insparation)

Posted Image

Edited by prototype66

This only proves how easy it would be to make a coupe like the protoype GM showed on the original Solstice.

We should see GM's take on this real soon.

Also a Sky story in Popular Hot Rodding said the 300 HP is 1-2 years off. That would get us to the low 13's or a High 12 depending on the gearing.

It just gets better all the time.

By the way did anyone also note the weigh loss with the hard top and removal of the stock lid and soft top assembly. It really brings the weight down.

Edited by hyperv6

Sorry- IMO both those hardtops blow. The original Pontiac concept was worlds' better than both- who would choose a 'station wagon' look over a fastback on a sports car?? Costing $2500 doesn't help in the least, either. I cannot see these being even remotely popular.

223874[/snapback]

YES!

Not to mention that the term hardtop should never be used on a

car with a gross, super fat, ugly B-pillar. It should be called a

coupe or kammback or WTFH they can come up with in a focus

group or radio promotion....

Some of you are missing why these could be very popular - racing! Many racing organizations don't allow soft top racing - you have to install a hard top. Add onto that weight loss, if hyperv6 is correct, and you have something that racers will love. ;) Plus, it increases cargo space (I'm pretty sure you remove the rear deck lid), and head room.

And personally, I think they look very decent. I think they should come up with a cheaper, more normal hard top option, though - something that doesn't extend all the way back, doesn't have the added expense of the extra material and lift gate, and make the rear defrost optional as well. I could see racers wanting a basic hard top without any fancy doodads, and they'd still be able to remove the soft top for weight loss. Others would just want it to retain the convertible looks.

Weigh loss may be a wash as I found these numbers on Autoblog.

The Sportwagon hardtop weighs about 115 lbs., although you'll be removing the production lid at the same time, which means you'll drop 42 lbs. for a net gain of 73 lbs. More weight can be saved by permanently removing the soft top, as well. However, that requires a professional and who wants to permantly remove their convertible's soft top anyway?

I expect they plan to fit these to 5-8% of the Kappas built so the company will make there money. Also I see this being popular in Europe.

Not what I would do, but look at what people do to make their Vettes different and it could be much worse.

whoa, yeah thats rough. i think i saw that red camaro... wagon or whatever it is on ebay for sale once. i wish i had bookmarked it to see what it went for. the last time i saw it though, it was nowhere near the Buy it now price. As for those hardtops... makes me think of those z3 coupes BMW was selling a few years ago.

Edited by cletus8269

Cool, look mama, a Camagon!! :nono:

224206[/snapback]

Am I the only one who thought that the Hurst Hauler was cool? If I had a Trans Am I'd consider that hatch just to do something different. As for the Kappa hard tops, I saw the Solstice version in person at the NAIAS, the Sky was just a rendering then. I think it adds a ton of utility to the equation, and might actually add sales for the Kappa twins if folks need cargo capacity.

Guest YellowJacket894

I like the Sky's hardtop conversion. Really nice. I would give the notchback portion of the design the boot, but at least it looks half way decent with it on.

The Solstice conversion blows. No point in denying that. They need to rethink that whole design. It's pathetic.