Honda and Acura vehicles said to overstate mileage by up to 4%

BrewSwillis

"Plaintiffs allege that odometers in certain Honda and Acura automobiles overstate mileage by up to 4%. This alleged overstatement is claimed to diminish warranty coverage and reduce the miles available under automobile leases. Plaintiffs seek relief for a purported nationwide class under the Federal Odometer Act and the Texas implied warranty of merchantability. Defendants deny all allegations of wrongdoing asserted."

More info:

http://www.odosettlementinfo.com/Vaughn%20...ed%20Notice.pdf

Thanks to "oh2o" from Allpar.com

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People....people......it's the car not calculating mileage accurately. The odometer says they've gone 104 miles when they've really only gone 100 miles. That really adds up after a while. Maybe they've been doing this for many years, and that's why people think Japanese cars last so long? :scratchchin::lol:

What's sad is the terms that the lawsuit agrees to. The lawsuit agree to terms that Honda just has to make up only 1% more on the mileage disparity. I would be pissed, and not agree to those weak terms just so some sleazy lawyer can make a ton of money.

Find a highway with mile markers.

I suppose, but those aren't perfectly accurate either. It also depends how much you change lanes/which lane you are in though that's not adding much distance.

Take 2 or 3 different cars the same distance and compare odometer readings? :confused0071:

I don't think any car is perfectly accurate. What if one car reads that you've gone 10 miles, and one reads that you've gone 10.4? I think that could be very possible.

Finally, if they're so worried about their warranty expiring early, they're only losing 1440 miles. So, unless this problem occurs between their odo reading 36001 miles and about 37500 miles, it doesn't even matter. They should have their car checked out right before the warranty expires to make sure nothing is about to go wrong, anyways.

I suppose, but those aren't perfectly accurate either. It also depends how much you change lanes/which lane you are in though that's not adding much distance.

I don't think any car is perfectly accurate. What if one car reads that you've gone 10 miles, and one reads that you've gone 10.4? I think that could be very possible.

Finally, if they're so worried about their warranty expiring early, they're only losing 1440 miles. So, unless this problem occurs between their odo reading 36001 miles and about 37500 miles, it doesn't even matter. They should have their car checked out right before the warranty expires to make sure nothing is about to go wrong, anyways.

That's why I said three cars. I don't think a car's odometer should be off almost a half a mile, every 10 miles.

1440 miles over their lease limit is $288.00 (using $0.20 per mile). They are potentially ripping all of their lease customers off at almost $300 a pop.

That's why I said three cars. I don't think a car's odometer should be off almost a half a mile, every 10 miles.

1440 miles over their lease limit is $288.00 (using $0.20 per mile). They are potentially ripping all of their lease customers off at almost $300 a pop.

4% over is an acceptable tolerance.

And accuracy aside, if you see the odometer read 36,000 and your lease agreement charges for every mile over that, it's still your fault/problem regardless. It's not like Honda is adding on miles to odometers after the fact.

4% over is an acceptable tolerance.

And accuracy aside, if you see the odometer read 36,000 and your lease agreement charges for every mile over that, it's still your fault/problem regardless. It's not like Honda is adding on miles to odometers after the fact.

It looks like 4% is quite high:

According to one calibrator merchant:

The speedometers and odometer on.... modern cars, are calibrated from the factory with a plus 1-2 percent error. This means that actual speed or recorded mileage is actually lower than that indicated on the speedometer and odometer.

Some organizations, when testing out cars, will examine speedometer/odometer error. Here are 5 foreign models tested in 2001:

Subaru Impreza WRX 3.2%

Ford Focus 2.1%

Chrysler PT Cruiser 1.07%

Toyota Condor 2400 1.54%

Volvo V70 T5 0.14%

From: http://truckandbarter.com/mt/archives/2004...e_accuracy.html

They are still cheating you. If they claim that you can drive 10,400 miles on your lease, you may actually only be able to drive 10,000 miles......with your odometer reading 10,400 miles. I don't see how you can't see that as cheating you? :unsure:

It looks like 4% is quite high...

Not according to the National Institute of Standard and Technology, it isn't.

T. Tolerances

T.1. To Underregistration and to Overregistration. The tolerances hereinafter prescribed shall be applied to errors of

underregistration and errors of overregistration.

5.53. Odometers

T.2. Tolerance Values. - Except for unloaded trucks, maintenance and acceptance tolerances on odometers shall be 4

percent of the interval under test.

(Amended 1977and 1987)

T.2.1. Tolerances for Unloaded Trucks. - Maintenance and acceptance tolerances on truck odometers shall be 5

percent for underregistration and 3 percent for overregistration of the interval under test.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:w7B_L...lient=firefox-a

They are still cheating you. If they claim that you can drive 10,400 miles on your lease, you may actually only be able to drive 10,000 miles......with your odometer reading 10,400 miles. I don't see how you can't see that as cheating you? :unsure:

Then I guess every automaker in the world is "cheating" people since none of them are perfectly accurate.

MPG like HP is generally overstated by Japanese and Korean automakers, Europeans state them accurately, and typically Americans especially GM understate them.

I don't see that how that can be since MPG for every car sold here is tested for and established by the EPA.

What does that have to do with this, anyway?

While the EPA set guidelines for MPG ratings, automakers may choose to report them at or below the vehicle's actually EPA rating.

Since Asian automakers overstate HP is does not surprise me that MPG is also overstated. I hope that they realize they will get sued or worse if they continue this illegal practice. The 2007 Honda Accord V-6 gets 20/29 chop off 4% and you get 19/28 the Saturn Aura gets 20/28, interesting isn't it? I can't wait to see the REAL ratings for the Japanese automakers when the new EPA MPG system comes out.

While the EPA set guidelines for MPG ratings, automakers may choose to report them at or below the vehicle's actually EPA rating.

Since Asian automakers overstate HP is does not surprise me that MPG is also overstated. I hope that they realize they will get sued or worse if they continue this illegal practice. The 2007 Honda Accord V-6 gets 20/29 chop off 4% and you get 19/28 the Saturn Aura gets 20/28, interesting isn't it? I can't wait to see the REAL ratings for the Japanese automakers when the new EPA MPG system comes out.

Dude, where are you getting your info? Whatever the EPA states, the automakers have to use. There's no fudging of the numbers involved.

The new EPA testing standards are going to drop the ratings for all vehicles, domestic and import.

And as far as the HP thing goes, some Asian makes didn't have their numbers drop by any significant amounts (if at all).

That is... the most idiotic thing I've read on C&G in a long, long while. :lol: Thanks for the laugh.

Dude, where are you getting your info? Whatever the EPA states, the automakers have to use. There's no fudging of the numbers involved.

The new EPA testing standards are going to drop the ratings for all vehicles, domestic and import.

And as far as the HP thing goes, some Asian makes didn't have their numbers drop by any significant amounts (if at all).

I think he's saying that if the Honda says it went 4% farther than it really did than it would get a better MPG figure.