TEMPTATION!!!

Camino LS6

That's incredible!

I'm sort of curious as to the time, resources, and effort that went into this.

Like getting the Holden body.

Camino, pardon me if you've voiced your feelings concerning the SSR before but is that not sufficently "El Caminoish" for your tastes?

I like the SSR for what it is, but it isn't an El Camino. I almost bought onenew, but opted for the Hawk instead.

Glad I did. :AH-HA_wink:

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it!!!

C'mon Bro, this car has your name written ALL over it. :)

You should be able to get close to that by selling your GTO, I would think. Perhaps not if the bidding goes up, but it wouldn't be too much of a loss of money if you sold the GTO for this I wouldn't think.

That thought has crossed my mind, Northie.

I really should just pay things off instead, but...

Camino, what a unique car! It has your name written all over it. You won't see many of these around for a while.

If you do get it, and you want to put PONTIAC badging (or have no badging at all) on the rear, I'd be more than happy to take that HOLDEN emblem off the back for you:

Posted Image

Camino, what a unique car! It has your name written all over it. You won't see many of these around for a while.

If you do get it, and you want to put PONTIAC badging (or have no badging at all) on the rear, I'd be more than happy to take that HOLDEN emblem off the back for you:

Posted Image

Rest assured, if I do get this car (or another like it), it will be ALL Pontiac, ALL Holden, or...

ALL Chevrolet!

Well, personally I would have liked it a whole lot more if it was just left as a HOLDEN Ute. But Pontiac is more well known, and it would be cool to take to Pontiac shows and the like. At this point, would it even make sense to convert it back to a HOLDEN? I'd say if you got it, either leave it as a GTO and put the rest of the PONTIAC badging on it (rear) or go ahead and try to convert it into a Chevrolet El Camino. I do think that we'll eventually see these here as NEW cars, the question is when though. Is the Ute going to be updated like the Commodore? And when?

Well, personally I would have liked it a whole lot more if it was just left as a HOLDEN Ute. But Pontiac is more well known, and it would be cool to take to Pontiac shows and the like. At this point, would it even make sense to convert it back to a HOLDEN? I'd say if you got it, either leave it as a GTO and put the rest of the PONTIAC badging on it (rear) or go ahead and try to convert it into a Chevrolet El Camino. I do think that we'll eventually see these here as NEW cars, the question is when though. Is the Ute going to be updated like the Commodore? And when?

The new Ute is due pretty soon, can't remember exactly when.

Keep it a Pontiac, it's not broke, why fix it?

Why have you decided to not persue it, if you don't mind me asking?

Never hurts to call.... :)

Wow, still no bids. I guess that's not that surprising considering it's a heavily modified vehicle that you'd have a hard time getting repaired if something happened, but at the same time it's very unique and there are plenty of El Camino lovers out there.

Fear is the likely reason for the lack of bids. As far as being a heavily modified vehicle goes, that would depend on how exactly it was built. It could be a near-production spec vehicle if no major structures had to be modfied with a torch and weld procedure (even then it could be just fine). My major question is the firewall and if it had to be cut out and replaced to effect the conversion or not (lots of room for error there). Otherwise, it would be a simple nut and bolt conversion using production parts. For repair, anything mechanical would be no problem. The only fear would be rear-end collision damage and the questions an insurance company might have.

Mostly because I need to practise a little "anal restraint" right now. I am also still hopeful for Harry in a Zeta Malibu and would rather wait for that. Finally, I want to mess with older (and less expensive ) men for a while.

Might still call Satty's mom though.

:blink:

Fear is the likely reason for the lack of bids. As far as being a heavily modified vehicle goes, that would depend on how exactly it was built. It could be a near-production spec vehicle if no major structures had to be modfied with a torch and weld procedure (even then it could be just fine). My major question is the firewall and if it had to be cut out and replaced to effect the conversion or not (lots of room for error there). Otherwise, it would be a simple nut and bolt conversion using production parts. For repair, anything mechanical would be no problem. The only fear would be rear-end collision damage and the questions an insurance company might have.

Is it not just a different front fascia?....if so I'm sure someone with body work experience could get that done quite easily.

Is it not just a different front fascia?....if so I'm sure someone with body work experience could get that done quite easily.

No, there are quite a few small differences in the front beyond the fascia. But, the main change is the conversion from right hand drive to left hand drive. That's where my firewall concerns come from.

No, there are quite a few small differences in the front beyond the fascia. But, the main change is the conversion from right hand drive to left hand drive. That's where my firewall concerns come from.

wowsa, that didn't even cross my mind. Yeah that would have been a TON of work then.

Well Camino, since you want something cheaper to work on, how about this idea - maybe something a little bit on the classic side, maybe something with 4WD, and something that has BARN DOORS, check this out:

Posted Image

1971 Chevy Suburban 4x4

You can check more details at this link here: http://www.autoshopper.com/viewfull.asp?ID...;FromSearch=Yes; it's located in southern New Jersey btw.

Well Camino, since you want something cheaper to work on, how about this idea - maybe something a little bit on the classic side, maybe something with 4WD, and something that has BARN DOORS, check this out:

Posted Image

1971 Chevy Suburban 4x4

You can check more details at this link here: http://www.autoshopper.com/viewfull.asp?ID...;FromSearch=Yes; it's located in southern New Jersey btw.

So many vehicles, so little time.

Thanks for the lead. :)

The Ute is a cool vehicle, no doubt... but I'd be afraid of getting rear ended, especially with a non-existent rear bumper. Also, you'd have to have a ready source Down Under for spare parts. Looks like you've made up your mind to keep searching though. Happy Hunting, sir.

The Ute is a cool vehicle, no doubt... but I'd be afraid of getting rear ended, especially with a non-existent rear bumper. Also, you'd have to have a ready source Down Under for spare parts. Looks like you've made up your mind to keep searching though. Happy Hunting, sir.

Lack of a rear bumper doesn't scare me given that about 50% of the Ute's steel structure would be between me and harm. Finding the parts to make repairs would be another story though. I wasn't really on the hunt when I saw this, but I had to consider it. :AH-HA_wink:

I really need to take my time before I buy any more cars, selling-off a few more of the ones I have would be nice to do first.

We shall see.

Well I finally talked with the owner/builder today. I got a better idea of how it all came together and my firewall worries were unfounded. It seems that Holden just glues the right firewall into the front of the structure for each vehicle they build. Yup, they glue in.

He has built at least 4 of these and plans a Crewman version for his wife!

Very cool.

My kingdom for an unlimited budget!