High mileage ads

I have grown weary of watching those damn Toyota ads talking about high mileage cars. I also REALLY dislike those ads about how 90% of XXX Toyota models are still on the road since 19-whatever year. They're both dishonest ads because they don't compare to any other manufacturer (Toyota does a lot of things on the line of dishonesty.) Nevertheless the ads leave an impression on consumers. It's about time GM hired a marketing team and ad agency that knows what the hell they're doing. GM never seems to understand the thoughts of the consumer and they let Toyota treat them like a punching bag and never attack back. They need to go on a serious offensive and attack Toyota merciliessly. This is a life and death struggle for survival and they need to start acting like it - not desperate but in a well-planned out organized attack that will expose the wolf in sheep's clothing that is Toyota and the dirtbag Americans that work for Toyota.

How about an "in your face" ad campaign featuring these people?

post-405-1170528623_thumb.jpg

post-405-1170528649_thumb.jpg

Go GM!

They are kind of irrelevant, I think...how many people really keep a car that long? 100k miles (<10 years for me) is about as long as I'd want to keep a daily driver...

How many SUV drivers take their vehicles off road? It's not that they do, it's that they could.....

edit: Everyone likes the idea of a car that runs 500k miles. It sells cars. Few ever keep theirs that long though.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

They are kind of irrelevant, I think...how many people really keep a car that long? 100k miles (<10 years for me) is about as long as I'd want to keep a daily driver...

I will have no problem putting 100,000 miles on a vehicle within 5 years. I am normally clocking 35,000 km a year..! I'll let ya know how it works out :P

I will have no problem putting 100,000 miles on a vehicle within 5 years. I am normally clocking 35,000 km a year..! I'll let ya know how it works out :P

I think I will hit 100k with my Jeep GC at about the 9 year mark (76k at 6.5 years so far). Then I'll be ready for a new daily driver.

Though it is cool that there are vehicles that will go 250k or more... but I wouldn't want to drive one that long..I think I'd get bored with the same vehicle decade after decade..

Edited by moltar

My dad, retired from his career, has a part time job delivering tires for a local distributor. Mostly, he drives an early 90's Silverado. With 450k miles on it. GM needs to publish, and push, as many of these stories as they can get ahold of. This is excellent advertisement, imo.

My dad, retired from his career, has a part time job delivering tires for a local distributor. Mostly, he drives an early 90's Silverado. With 450k miles on it. GM needs to publish, and push, as many of these stories as they can get ahold of. This is excellent advertisement, imo.

Yes. There's a lot of such people with pictures and stories on the 200k site they started, but they don't seem to be doing anything with it--just leaving a site for people to post on. I'd say good marketing opportunity, but who knows...

Yes. There's a lot of such people with pictures and stories on the 200k site they started, but they don't seem to be doing anything with it--just leaving a site for people to post on. I'd say good marketing opportunity, but who knows...

And therein lies the problem. It's obviously working for Toyota - It's time GM stuck it right back in their face. Toyota is actually selling vehicles by convincing people with their ads that Toyotas last longer by showing people with lots of miles on their vehicles. GM needs to counter that argument every chance they get.

Remember, figures lie and liars figure. You got it! Toyota!

Are you LISTENING GM?

Funny, I see more rusted out Toyotas than rusted out GMs. The powertrain of a Toyota may go a very long time but the bodies (at least on the older ones) never lasted really long before they were rusted to obliviation.

I think it couldn't hurt.

And don't forget to add some ads for the cars....

Even though it's got a few issues and is a bit rusty, I'm pretty happy with how my wagon is doing, at 140k miles.

When it got near zero a few night ago, the next morning it started right up-first try. How many cars can say that at 14 years

old, with that milage?

:pbjtime:

Any car from any brand can live a long life with high mileage if it's taken care of reasonably. Intrepid has 175k so far. Shadow has 210lk and still going (oh and daves87ers, it started up first try when it was 6 degrees out by the way...and it's 18 years old :P ).

Edited by Dodgefan

Any car from any brand can live a long life with high mileage if it's taken care of reasonably. Intrepid has 175k so far. Shadow has 210lk and still going (oh and daves87ers, it started up first try when it was 6 degrees out by the way...and it's 18 years old :P ).

My 1993 Sliverado has 230,000 miles on its used and abused, and it still runs strong some minor body rust but other than that its great truck. Its always parked outside, hauls trailers and pumpkins out of the field every year, pulls people out of the snow every year and has only failed to to start a few times (dead battery and dead starter from what I can remember). All in all this "are cars last longer business" is played by every car maker Chevy, Ford and Chrysler included.

O yeah?

Well...

*thinks*

Bet I have more rust than you.... :AH-HA_wink:

My 1993 Sliverado has 230,000 miles on its used and abused, and it still runs strong some minor body rust but other than that its great truck. Its always parked outside, hauls trailers and pumpkins out of the field every year, pulls people out of the snow every year and has only failed to to start a few times (dead battery and dead starter from what I can remember). All in all this "are cars last longer business" is played by every car maker Chevy, Ford and Chrysler included.

Sweet-my uncle's old 89 had almost 250 on the clock when he sold it.... :thumbsup:

I have an 2002 S-10 ZR2 that is coming up on 100k. I bought it new in 02 and other than routine stuff wearing out it has been a very good truck, it helps to swear off taking it offroading anymore. Thats saves a lot of wear and tear on a daily driver. I would buy another truck like it when mine wears out but the Colorado/Canyon to me aren't a good enough replacement. Alot of ZR2 owners feel this way, they feel jaded that GM never came out with an excellent direct replacement.

We all have complained for years how Toyota is precieved as high quality when the truth is they are not really that much better and worse in some areas. By pushing durability while improving initial quality is how you build this preception in the general unwash non auto minded public.

We here know and understand that there are many half million mile trucks and cars from GM still on the road and while they may not always may look new they are running fine. I wish I had a dollar for every paint peaeling Barreta still on the road. If that is not good enough I can show you many W bodies still on the original tranny and engine with over or near 300K miles.

Though they have not made them for years there are many still on the road here in the rust belt still racking up miles. This is not always true for many Honda's and Toyota's that proved to be too expensive to maintain or were destroyed by our winters and roads. They do share many high milage cars but no where near as many as some would like you to believe.

Most people that put the 100K miles plus on are the second and third owner. Now the original buyer is and will look at the high mileage car claims and feel he is getting a better car because it will go a quarter million miles even if he only plans to drive it till the 3 year lease is up.

You have to sell your products ablitiy to the general public as it adds to precieved value and quality. It is not how good you are but how good they think you are. Now that GM is addressing initial qualtiy they can play it on the already know fact their cars remain in service for many miles and years.

If I were GM would start a internet sign in book where owners can brag on their high milage cars. I have found many of these folks like to brag on what they have done. GM needs to give em a place to do it and use them in their advertising.

GMs drivetrains have for the most part lived up to the demands. Now we are getting cars that should match the drivetrain and it is time those who don't believe learn the truth. If GM does not tell them no one else will, or did you really think Consumer Reports would? NOT!

Edited by hyperv6

We all have complained for years how Toyota is precieved as high quality when the truth is they are not really that much better and worse in some areas. By pushing durability while improving initial quality is how you build this preception in the general unwash non auto minded public.

We here know and understand that there are many half million mile trucks and cars from GM still on the road and while they may not always may look new they are running fine. I wish I had a dollar for every paint peaeling Barreta still on the road. If that is not good enough I can show you many W bodies still on the original tranny and engine with over or near 300K miles.

Though they have not made them for years there are many still on the road here in the rust belt still racking up miles. This is not always true for many Honda's and Toyota's that proved to be too expensive to maintain or were destroyed by our winters and roads. They do share many high milage cars but no where near as many as some would like you to believe.

Most people that put the 100K miles plus on are the second and third owner. Now the original buyer is and will look at the high mileage car claims and feel he is getting a better car because it will go a quarter million miles even if he only plans to drive it till the 3 year lease is up.

You have to sell your products ablitiy to the general public as it adds to precieved value and quality. It is not how good you are but how good they think you are. Now that GM is addressing initial qualtiy they can play it on the already know fact their cars remain in service for many miles and years.

If I were GM would start a internet sign in book where owners can brag on their high milage cars. I have found many of these folks like to brag on what they have done. GM needs to give em a place to do it and use them in their advertising.

GMs drivetrains have for the most part lived up to the demands. Now we are getting cars that should match the drivetrain and it is time those who don't believe learn the truth. If GM does not tell them no one else will, or did you really think Consumer Reports would? NOT!

Um - this site already exists (existed?) Google "GM high mileage" and you'll see the results. Not sure it's still online but it ended up being a focal point for the Econo-Nazis to claim GM contributes to global warming. Another group of deceitful human beings.

Here's a good story, I've heard about this guy before: http://therecord.blogs.com/it_gets_weirder...illion_mil.html

I think GM should be talking numbers and what they have best in class, not just trying to appeal to image with some of the superbowl comercials. Toyota talked about stats with the Tundra. GM also offers more vehicles that get 30 MPG or better than anyone else in 2007. Where's that stat?

Edited by biff