Pontiac G8 police package??

I think with a RWD Impala coming the is no chance Pontiac will field a Police car.

Chevy has the Impala volume to take care of fleet sales and I would expect to see a Malibu Police package as more police forces have taken to the Impala FWD.

The only place I have ever seen a Pontiac police car was in Smokey and the Bandit. Pontiac never did much in sales for Police but Pontiac did do a lot of chassies for airport Limos, ambulances and funneral hearses.

GM police Packages of the future I see are the Impala, Malibu and Tahoe. I would not even hold my breath for a Camaro since the Impala will have the performance to handle the job.

I think with a RWD Impala coming the is no chance Pontiac will field a Police car.

Chevy has the Impala volume to take care of fleet sales and I would expect to see a Malibu Police package as more police forces have taken to the Impala FWD.

The only place I have ever seen a Pontiac police car was in Smokey and the Bandit. Pontiac never did much in sales for Police but Pontiac did do a lot of chassies for airport Limos, ambulances and funneral hearses.

GM police Packages of the future I see are the Impala, Malibu and Tahoe. I would not even hold my breath for a Camaro since the Impala will have the performance to handle the job.

Eh, they'll still want Camaros for stealth just like they use Mustangs and the Gen 4 Camaros for now.

Eh, they'll still want Camaros for stealth just like they use Mustangs and the Gen 4 Camaros for now.

They were not so much for stealth as they were for power. Keep in mind the Camaro and Mustang were brought in as chase cars as the Caprice and LTD/Crown Vic were not as powerfu then as they later were. To many people were out running them till they got the LT1 and 351 engines.

As a whole the Mustang and Camaro make very poor and expensive police cars that with todays tight budgets are going to be hard to justify. With a Impala package that will be using many the same parts and engine as the Camaro there is no reason for a Camaro package anymore. Many of todays cars wil top 150 mph in sedan form. Even my wifes V6 FWD sedan will hit the 140 MPH +.

They were not so much for stealth as they were for power. Keep in mind the Camaro and Mustang were brought in as chase cars as the Caprice and LTD/Crown Vic were not as powerfu then as they later were. To many people were out running them till they got the LT1 and 351 engines.

As a whole the Mustang and Camaro make very poor and expensive police cars that with todays tight budgets are going to be hard to justify. With a Impala package that will be using many the same parts and engine as the Camaro there is no reason for a Camaro package anymore. Many of todays cars wil top 150 mph in sedan form. Even my wifes V6 FWD sedan will hit the 140 MPH +.

All I've ever seen them used for is busting speeders.

FHP uses B4C Camaros for high-speed interdiciton and interception. Aside from that (and looking hot), they're really useless in other applications. And if a Camaro trooper needs to detain someone, they have to call in a regular cruiser anyway. They do have their use, though, and I suspect of the next Camaro has an impressive B4C package, larger (re: state) agencies will find a need to buy some.

As for stealth, they don't need a special car for that. The latest trick I've seen FHP use is on US19 through Pinellas County. They have five or six cruisers sitting out of sight behind a barrier by an onramp. A late-90s Ford Windstar sits off on the shoulder in plain view with the rear hatch open and flashers on while a small trooper wearing dark clothing crouches up in the corner of the cargo hold and shoots cars with his radar/laser. Another trooper is sitting in the second row, probably radioing ahead to the crusiers what the gun-trooper calls out.

St. Petersburg Police use officers dressed up as construction workers, city employees, and even homeless vagrants. Pinellas County Sheriff's Office uses unmarked Chargers that really sneak up on you. Largo Police has a PT Cruiser with a huge gumball light on the roof and you swear its a joke, but it nabs people. Clearwater Police has a 2000ish Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with a bedcover that pops up to reveal the hidden lightbar and a Silverado that does that same...and I swear I saw a silver Uplander with blue-and-reds.

Its better just not to speed around here!

FHP uses B4C Camaros for high-speed interdiciton and interception. Aside from that (and looking hot), they're really useless in other applications. And if a Camaro trooper needs to detain someone, they have to call in a regular cruiser anyway. They do have their use, though, and I suspect of the next Camaro has an impressive B4C package, larger (re: state) agencies will find a need to buy some.

As for stealth, they don't need a special car for that. The latest trick I've seen FHP use is on US19 through Pinellas County. They have five or six cruisers sitting out of sight behind a barrier by an onramp. A late-90s Ford Windstar sits off on the shoulder in plain view with the rear hatch open and flashers on while a small trooper wearing dark clothing crouches up in the corner of the cargo hold and shoots cars with his radar/laser. Another trooper is sitting in the second row, probably radioing ahead to the crusiers what the gun-trooper calls out.

St. Petersburg Police use officers dressed up as construction workers, city employees, and even homeless vagrants. Pinellas County Sheriff's Office uses unmarked Chargers that really sneak up on you. Largo Police has a PT Cruiser with a huge gumball light on the roof and you swear its a joke, but it nabs people. Clearwater Police has a 2000ish Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with a bedcover that pops up to reveal the hidden lightbar and a Silverado that does that same...and I swear I saw a silver Uplander with blue-and-reds.

Is there really a need for a B4C? I had a friend bring a 4th gen Colorado State Police car played with it one day at my house. Other than the novalty of it at car shows I see no need for it in today forces. The new Impala RWD will have the same underpinnings and drivetrain so where is the need?

Oh the Colorado car was sill stickered up, led light bar and still had a radar unit in it yet. Many in Ohio had to be puzzled. It is a pain to drive as every one slowed down below the speed limit my buddy told me.

Is there any possibility of producing a Police Package for the new G8?? anyone care to do a chop of what a police package G8 would look like?? this would make a sweet police cruiser..

This is a very bad idea. General Motors has a serious effort to reduce its fleet sales. Police cars are sold to fleets. Worse than that, they are sold by the lowest bidder. It is not at all uncommon for police cars to sell in the $12K price range, which often means that they sell at a loss. Bad, bad, bad.

Pontiac did sell police packages, but it was to bolster lack luster sales of the 76-77 LeMans and Venturas.

Some 80-81 Bonnevilles also were decked out as cop cars, complete with fender skirts. See "Smokey II", and some were in my college town.

77 I think was the the last offical year but low sales and little if any profit killed off the package.

Many of the cars in Smokey II were old Police cars and ones that were just dressed up to look like them.

I saw somewhere that a previous gen W-Body Grand Prix was used as a police vehicle.

But IMO, Pontiac with police package is totally unnecessary.

They may have been used as a police car but the last offical Pontiac Fleet police car offering I believe was in or around 1977.

The Pittsburg cops used late 80's Bonnevilles and 88 Olds FWD cars for a while but I think they just got a deal on stock vehicles as they were also never offered with a police package.

PT Cruisers? Uplanders? Florida really is a weird state. :blink:

My company took a old 90's Impala patrol car form the local force and built a Tubed Pro Street Patrol car out of it for them. It has a Bolown BBC and all.

They street drive it to many events and looks cool going down the street and I even hate Pro Street cars.

I even have seen the cops do a hole shoot in it on the street.

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't able to find a Grand Prix police car, but I did find these:

Posted Image

Visions of Smokey and the Bandit dance in my head...

Posted Image

As regards the G8, no. It's a small volume car. Why would they want to fleet out something that's only going to sell 30K/yr anyway?

-RBB

Kind of off topic, but confirming what Fly said, cops in the whole Tampa Bay area are really, really sneaky. I've seen most of those same tactics and vehicles on I-275.

In the New Tampa area, I have seen the Tampa police come up w/some pretty underhanded tactics.

Up in Tallahassee, cops are using brand-new Monte SS's w/the chrome rims and everything for traffic enforcement. You see a brand-new Monte looking as if it's about to pull out of an apt. complex parking lot, and as you get closer you realize you have a laser gun pointed at your face.

(Maybe they like the V-8's they can't get in Impalas w/the Police Pkg....not that they use Impalas anyway.)

I have seen every kind of car as a police car from Pt Cruiser to a Lambo.

The question here is will the G8 be offered in a Police package from GM with the extra bits like heavy duty alt, plastic back seat with doors that do not open from inside, heavy duty radiator, Cheap steel wheels, Wiring package, etc. I don't see GM investing this into a more expensive imported car that is only coming here in low numbers.

With the present Impala selling well and a future Impala I only expect to see the RWD Impala, FWD Malibu, and Tahoe offered in Police packages from GM fleet sales. I really don't even expect a Camaro package since a RWD Impala will do justabout anything a Camaro would do and more.

When was ther last time Pontiac offered fleet sales Police packages? It was in the 70's and few would pay the extra price over the Chevy then.

Now if they bust someone with crack and take their G8 that is another story.

GM will not make factory Pontiac police packages anymore, per their brand 'policies'. Also, no police agency wll pay more for the G8's importation fees. The Canadian made Zeta Camaro and Impala will most likely be offered as cop cars.

OTOH: The 1976 LeMans police car above is way cool. I think Pontiac was looking to be like Dodge, and to get some Chevy sales. But, inter-divisional rivalry hurt in the long run. BTW, how did Jackie Gleason fit in the cop car LeMans? It was not too big inside.

Edited by Chicagoland

GM will not make factory Pontiac police packages anymore, per their brand 'policies'. Also, no police agency wll pay more for the G8's importation fees. The Canadian made Zeta Camaro and Impala will most likely be offered as cop cars.

OTOH: The 1976 LeMans police car above is way cool. I think Pontiac was looking to be like Dodge, and to get some Chevy sales. But, inter-divisional rivalry hurt in the long run. BTW, how did Jackie Gleason fit in the cop car LeMans? It was not too big inside.

The only Zeta Police car I can see is the Impala.

The real question why would they want a Camaro? If the Impala has the same engine, suspension and overall under pinnings why would any Police department need one. The new Impala should perform nearly the same as the Camaro while providing a useable back seat and trunk. The Camaro was only employed for persuit by only a handful of department when their Impalas were lame 305/350 under powered cars.

The Malibu is in play as I see it as most Departments are really buying the FWD Impala now since they are better on gas and cheaper. If gas goes up it hurts budgets and the new Malibu in a new Police package would be a great replacment for the FWD Impala.

My question is what city or state department could justify a higher prices G8 over a lower priced alturnitive? This is why you see so few Tahoe Police Packages on patrol as they cost too much vs the other cars. The Tahoes are only justified in special needs or areas that a car just will not cover.

The bottom line for most departments anymore is cost to buy and cost to operate with acceptable performance.

Many departments are or have been changing to FWD V6 cars and keeping some RWD cars for pursuit.

I think many would be suprised at how many Impala's they are buying now. The $3+ per gallon hit department budgets hard and they are looking at ways to stretch the budget even more.

Most Highway potrols are still in Crowns but Even in Ohio I have seen a few FWD's being tested.

The only Zeta Police car I can see is the Impala.

The real question why would they want a Camaro? ........ The Camaro was only employed for persuit by only a handful of department when their Impalas were lame 305/350 under powered cars.

The Malibu is in play as I see it as most Departments are really buying the FWD Impala now since they are better on gas and cheaper. If gas goes up it hurts budgets and the new Malibu in a new Police package would be a great replacment for the FWD Impala.

Not totally correct in your facts. The '94-'96 "B" bodied Caprice 9C1's, when tested in the Michigan State Police trials had a top speed of 138mph. But these were further restricted, via the computer down to 126mph, based on tire selection on the purchase order. Meanwhile, the last Camaro BC4 packages topped out at 148mph....... which is why many departments have kept them,

if they have a pursuit policy.

The current tests show Impalas running in 3rd place, on most of the performance tests, but their prices put them back up.

In middle FL., many sheriff depts. are switching to them.

Not totally correct in your facts. The '94-'96 "B" bodied Caprice 9C1's, when tested in the Michigan State Police trials had a top speed of 138mph. But these were further restricted, via the computer down to 126mph, based on tire selection on the purchase order. Meanwhile, the last Camaro BC4 packages topped out at 148mph....... which is why many departments have kept them,

if they have a pursuit policy.

The current tests show Impalas running in 3rd place, on most of the performance tests, but their prices put them back up.

In middle FL., many sheriff depts. are switching to them.

The Impala I speak of is the 80's Impala. They were lane and under powered. A family friend was a Captain of the traffic division in our city and told me so him self. He for a while kept old rebuilt from the ground up 9C1 Nova's because they were faster than the cars they had.

The Caprice in the 90's was a great car and could handle most chases except for open roads out west.

It is just hard to justify the cost of a BC4 for 90% of the department. The limited use and price are not enough to justify 10 MPH top end. Most areas depend on the radio and it is far faster.

The local department tried a few Impalas for a year and were please with the cost to maintain and purchase price. They are now changing the fleet over to Chevys. I never though I would see the day FWD would be accepted by departments.

Impala was a close third in test but operating cost are far out weighing performance in most city department.

• 3 weeks later...

Won't happen.

The parts will be there as the Commodore will do police duty, but the G8 is a limited production import so production won't be wasted on fleet sales, especially with the RWD Impala being built in NA. Some of the heavy duty hardware might show-up though. :AH-HA_wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I can't wait for SoCal jurisdictions to get out of those damn Vickys. Would be beautiful to see more Chargers and Impalas.

Tahoes here are basically used by seargents (sp?).